Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SLI and dual monitors

jamesd129jamesd129 Member Posts: 93

I'm going to be getting a new computer soon and was wondering about how to set up my monitors. Right now I use an SLI system which means if I want both cards working together on a game then I have to turn off my second monitor. Right now I am planning on buying for my new computer, 1 really good GPU for my primary monitor and one crappy one for my secondary. So one question is, if I have this setup do the two cards need to be from the same company and if I need to install drivers for each of them is there a big processing overhead for running two separate GPU drivers?

Also, my plan is to at a later point buy a second of the really good GPU once it becomes cheaper and SLI those two together on my main monitor while still running a second monitor off my crappy card. Is this a valid setup?

Comments

• zhubajie111zhubajie111 Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by jamesd129

I'm going to be getting a new computer soon and was wondering about how to set up my monitors. Right now I use an SLI system which means if I want both cards working together on a game then I have to turn off my second monitor. Right now I am planning on buying for my new computer, 1 really good GPU for my primary monitor and one crappy one for my secondary. So one question is, if I have this setup do the two cards need to be from the same company and if I need to install drivers for each of them is there a big processing overhead for running two separate GPU drivers?
    Also, my plan is to at a later point buy a second of the really good GPU once it becomes cheaper and SLI those two together on my main monitor while still running a second monitor off my crappy card. Is this a valid setup?

It is cooooooooooool

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347
    Originally posted by jamesd129

I beleive that you can use two video cards, but one good video card can normally handle this without any big deal. Make sure your mebo has room for one than one. And as a heads up you may have issues with two video cards, just how it is. If you SLI you need two of the same card model (not maker model, so two 9800 gtx, or two 4850, regardless of if they are his,  evga, xfx, bfg.) Otherwise no sli/x-fire. Now if you sli or x-fire you use the main card videos outs (both of them) and don't plug into the second card at all.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• xxthecorexxxxthecorexx Member Posts: 1,078

i THINK nvidia's big bang 2 (forceware 180) drivers (still in beta) allow everything you're looking for. do a little digging.