Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

attack methods

is this going to be a turned bassed orientation where it is a case or, choose character in the tounament then take turns clupping each other with what you feel taking time to think about what to use?

or will  it be you chose what when and how to use something and if you hit someone 3 times before they touch you that's their problem?

also it there going to be upgradable attacks where the more you pratice a certain skill it becomes more useful and powerful?

also the damage you do, is it going to be a static to your skill or random?

Is there going to be some sort of 'charge'(as it will not be a carge in normal ideas) tool where you can try get 'prefect' uses and then a few other zones where there damage is random between percentages?

I've always wanted to see that in a game but still yet to get that

Comments

• JatarJatar Member UncommonPosts: 348
    Originally posted by crazyst3ve

is this going to be a turned bassed orientation where it is a case or, choose character in the tounament then take turns clupping each other with what you feel taking time to think about what to use?
    or will  it be you chose what when and how to use something and if you hit someone 3 times before they touch you that's their problem?
    also it there going to be upgradable attacks where the more you pratice a certain skill it becomes more useful and powerful?
    also the damage you do, is it going to be a static to your skill or random?
    Is there going to be some sort of 'charge'(as it will not be a carge in normal ideas) tool where you can try get 'prefect' uses and then a few other zones where there damage is random between percentages?
    I've always wanted to see that in a game but still yet to get that

1) Our combat is not turn based.

2) Yes, your attacks are upgradable, both by learning new knowledge (study) and by practicing the attack over time.

3) Damage is within a range, so it is a little random, but within certain parameters.  It may also be affected by the opponents active and passive defense.

4) 'No' to the last one, we don't use 'zones' in the Reflected Worlds, it is all one big world.

Hope that answers your questions.

• crazyst3vecrazyst3ve Member Posts: 12

Yes this does answer most of them except the last one, maybe i said it wrong

I'm am meaning by when you select to use a skill that there is a bar that pops up for a second or 2 and when letting go of your button attached to the skill then where ever the marker that was moving around is on that bar(this is where the zones and percentages come in, along with a very small area where you will have a chance of maxing your damage)

If this is not in the game i will set in out as a suggestion, whether it's used or not I don't mind

Say the player wishes to use a skill linked to '8' on the keyboard

They shall press and hold 8 should it be one of the skills with one of these abilities

For a small period a small bar pops up on the screen with a little marker moving up and down as they let go of the marker it can be one of many places for now i will use 5zones for ease of reading and my typing

If it lands on a small marking in the dead center of bar then this will be regarded as a perfect use and the damage, for arguments sake, is maxed to the top it possibly can be.

If it falls into one of the 2 zones immediately above or bellow this marking there will be a random damage done between 99% and 51% damage on the target.

If it is on the top or bottom most zones it will be a random between 50% and 1% damage.

If this person does not manage to or forgets to let go of '8' before this bar goes away there is no hit and they will need to try again. Or this marker could continuously move up and down the bar waiting for this key to be released.

Then leveling this skill can be involving anything such as

Damage (picking up percentage amounts obviously)

Making more zones and therefore narrowing the randomness of the skill

Making it a higher chance for there to be a high percentage from that zone than the level before.

____

This is only how I see it in my head it may be a bad or good idea, and so that is why i said it is a suggestion that can be used if you wish, if not I am called crazy for a reason

• JatarJatar Member UncommonPosts: 348

Basically, you want a golf swing system.  If you have played any golf games, when you swing the club you try to get the maximum swing by where you release the button near the top of the swing. This sounds like the same system.

We won't be doing this in CoS only because this turns into a reactions system more than a strategy system.

However, we do offer something similar, but leans more toward the strategy element than the reaction time.  When you start certain Abilities in CoS they are building toward their maximum output, but you can decide to set them off early for less damage if you choose.  There are reasons for this.  

Example 1: Increasing damage.  You might have an Ability that can do 200 HP at the maximum, and it takes five seconds to wind up that swing.  However, your opponent is nearly dead, if you swing early and get your swing in before he can heal himself, he's dead.  So if you stop the Ability building at two seconds, you might do 80 HP at that moment, but that was enough to kill him before he could do his healing.  If you waited the full five seconds and did 200 HP, he might have taken a healing potion and healed 400 HP.

Example 2: Aiming a bow.  The longer you aim, the more accurate your shot becomes (up to a point).  But... letting fly early, even though less accurate, still might interrupt that spell the mage is about to unleash.

Anyway, there is more to this, but that's the system we're using (at least the part that is close to what you asked about).

this sounds better as it wil take away that randomness and allow you to rather become that character. I like that in this game as it becomes a true role playing where you control nearly everything about you character.

next step V.R.

• skipethskipeth Member Posts: 66

A "golf" style of system where you try to hit in the sweet spot to max damage is probably a bad idea for any internet based game.  Due to varied lag time over the internet, the timing mechanism has to be done on the client side.  Anything done on the client side can be hacked. 

I think your idea would be really sweet in a WII hack and slash game.  When they release the WII motion plus.

you must remember that anything that is sent from the client and for extreme hackers even some things on the server side can be hacked and so worrying about hacking where hacking will never be stopped is not always a clever way to deal with developing a game

would you rather take away a part that makes you feel in control of your character so it cannot be hacked and wait for them to find something else such as health.

or put it in knowing that the vast majority will take this and enjoy this feature rather than hack it.

anyone with the right program can hack, I've hacked many times but I and I'm sure many other people will agree that once you hack the joys of going in and fighting for your life are gone and you quickly lose interest in the game.

besides I'm sure there will be measures to have a character checked for hacking if someone suspects something.

personally I'd rather have this feature work out my damage and send the data to counter the lag issue with a few noobs who can't duel me without hacking come get a couple maxed hits on me and laugh knowing he must really suck at the game to have to do that,

than have a basic press a button and leave the rest to the game to work out how much damage i do and feel like i'm in a basic form of control rather than almost being the character. 

• nightwing70nightwing70 Member Posts: 142
    Originally posted by Jatar

Basically, you want a golf swing system.  If you have played any golf games, when you swing the club you try to get the maximum swing by where you release the button near the top of the swing. This sounds like the same system.
    We won't be doing this in CoS only because this turns into a reactions system more than a strategy system.
    However, we do offer something similar, but leans more toward the strategy element than the reaction time.  When you start certain Abilities in CoS they are building toward their maximum output, but you can decide to set them off early for less damage if you choose.  There are reasons for this.  
    Example 1: Increasing damage.  You might have an Ability that can do 200 HP at the maximum, and it takes five seconds to wind up that swing.  However, your opponent is nearly dead, if you swing early and get your swing in before he can heal himself, he's dead.  So if you stop the Ability building at two seconds, you might do 80 HP at that moment, but that was enough to kill him before he could do his healing.  If you waited the full five seconds and did 200 HP, he might have taken a healing potion and healed 400 HP.
    Example 2: Aiming a bow.  The longer you aim, the more accurate your shot becomes (up to a point).  But... letting fly early, even though less accurate, still might interrupt that spell the mage is about to unleash.
    Anyway, there is more to this, but that's the system we're using (at least the part that is close to what you asked about).

so it's like DBZ you need to gather up energy to Do the full damage

• amusedmonkeyamusedmonkey Member UncommonPosts: 42

About the combat, how fast paced is it?

It happened to me on a few games that I would get a phone call, or a family member would enter the room to ask me something and during those few seconds I would look at the screen and find myself dead (or very close to dying that I can't be saved).

I am not the kind that would just spam the same spells on the same target but at the same time I hope this won't become the type of game that would force me to do just that because I don't have enough room to think about my next move. That said, I also don't want to be waiting too long between spell casts that it becomes a waiting game.

Have you reached a comfortable balance between the two extremes in CoS?