Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BG players shafted :(

2»

Comments

• WickershamWickersham Member UncommonPosts: 2,379

If you just want to log in and gank people why not just play a multiplayer game and save yourself time and money?

Login, be balanced, and kill opposing players - all for the cost of a box, but without the subscription fee, or the grinding nonsense that comes with MMORPGs.

And if you just have to spend 15 dollars a month and get no real value from it - give it to me!

"The liberties and resulting economic prosperity that YOU take for granted were granted by those "dead guys"

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by SonofSeth

Originally posted by heartless

Originally posted by Azrile

Gajari,
    I think you hit on a good point.  One of the main reasons people do hate the Arena is because your skill is put 'out there'.   Think about this.. 50% of all Arena players will lose more games then they win.  Now think about the average MMORPG player
    What will they say when they lose

1. This game sucks ( arena sucks)

2. The other team cheated ( class imbalances).
    The hatred towards Arenas is so pointed because half the players MUST lose, and their score is out there for anyone to see.  No other MMORPG that I am aware of 'grades' people like this and makes it public.

I don't think that it's a very accurate assessment. Arenas is not really about skill unless you're talking about equally geared teams consisting of the same classes. We all know that certain classes have a particular advantage against other classes and that certain team compositions are generally better in arenas than others. Unfortunately, or fortunately (depending on how you look at it) this game is not really about skill.

With that being said, personally, I dislike arenas because to me that's not what Warcraft should be about. Warcraft is suppose to be about war, not duels and esport. Yet, the esport arenas allow you to get the best PvP gear in the game and BGs (which mimic what Warcraft should be about, do not. Another reason is the organization involved. Where as in a BG, I can just log on and do a few AV's any time I want, when it comes to arenas, I have to make sure that I log on when my teammates are on and set some time of to grind with them.

Basically, being a casual gamer, I get shafted. It doesn't matter though as I'm not planning on buying the expansion any time soon. In my opinion, there really is nothing new being introduced except for more grind.

Since when is 10 games a week considered grinding?

I dislike Arenas, since I dislike doing them, forcing me to participate in them in order to stay competitive is grinding for me. Even if it was 1 game.

If you really are casual, how important is beeing on top for you?

Being that I play on a PvP server, being competitive is important because otherwise I'd be getting rolled by people who have grinded for the best PvP gear. Right now, I can still remain competitive even with last season's PvP epics, eventhough they aren't as good as the current ones. Once the expansion comes out, that will not be the case.

If you're goal is not to be on top, what's the problem with class setups?

My goal is to be competitive. Since gear > skill in WoW, figure out the rest.

If you care about war, why do you even bother with arenas?

Because, eventhough I hate arenas with a passion, in the new expansion I will have to do arenas to stay competitive.

If you care about gear, why do you make it sound like you care about war?

Because you cannot wage war with crappy gear.

• kwaikwai Member UncommonPosts: 825

WoW isnt focused on out door PvP or BG's anyhow , its focused on PvE so i guess it was only a matter of time eh.

But they are going to implent the idea from Warhammer where you get exp from PvP so well yea, wont get me to switch back anyhow.

• IndoIndo Member Posts: 252

I remember when the only epics I ever saw was from MC. Back then, working your ass off for good gear was a benefit in the rest of the world. Those were the days....

• angelsfangangelsfang Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by URMAKER

they're desire to push arenas is why i cancelled my account of 3 years. i can log onto warhammer and have my daggers in someones back in under 2 minutes. i love wow and i'd say its still probably the most fun i've had online but its just not a pvpers game.

Amen.  There is PvP but very much restricted, WoW is more catered to the general disney audience which includes lots of kids (not that its a bad thing), and therefore it's more of an instancing PvE game with some PvP elements.  Which is disappointing to me, because Warcraft is a world based on warfare and raiding/ganking, non-consentual killing.

• SonofSethSonofSeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,884

I dislike Arenas, since I dislike doing them, forcing me to participate in them in order to stay competitive is grinding for me. Even if it was 1 game.
    Being that I play on a PvP server, being competitive is important because otherwise I'd be getting rolled by people who have grinded for the best PvP gear. Right now, I can still remain competitive even with last season's PvP epics, eventhough they aren't as good as the current ones. Once the expansion comes out, that will not be the case.
    Because, eventhough I hate arenas with a passion, in the new expansion I will have to do arenas to stay competitive.

What does it mean: "Stay Competitive"?

• unimatrix8unimatrix8 Member Posts: 107

So if WoW requires so much skill in pvp, why are all the top teams and this is in the 2v2 bracket melee/healer. Not much skill there when rogue/warrior and now pallys and shamans to some extent, can tear thur your ass in under 10 secs. And its kinda pointless trying to dps the healer when they heal thur all your damage, and you can forget about kiting the melee classes cause its not going to happen. WoW pvp =skill nah. WoW pvp =fotm class ya

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Seems fine to me, if you want everything, you have to do everything.

That is what I was thinking too.  I don't see why someone would hate doing 10 2v2Arena games but love doing 10 WSG games.   I personally love EotS and AV, but don't enjoy WSG and AB.  I'd rather do Arena than WSG.

It begs the question -  When Blizzard does figure out a way to rank BGs, and they do put the best armor in BGs.. will people want to get ALL their armor by doing just 1 BG..and will they complain if Blizzard makes them do WSG and AB to complete their sets.

Personally I do not enjoy objectiveless PvP like that of the arenas and I never set foot into them after trying a few matches early on.  I find battelgrounds fun, because there is a little more strategy involved than just "kill that guy over there".  I don't care how good the gear is if I hate doing the activity involved to get it.   There are plenty of people in my guild that feel the same away and just travel alterate paths of advancement.  Honestly that is one of the better aspects of WoW, so many ways to advance your character.

As with all MMOs, the majority of players will gravitate towards the path of least resistance.   Battlegrounds, areanas it doesn't matter.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

What does it mean: "Stay Competitive"?

Staying competitive, in my case, means that I have decent enough gear so that I can defend myself from a  player who's character has the best PvP gear available, when the said player is bored and tries to gank me while I'm going about my business. As I said before, I'm on a PvP server and surviving ganks and potential camps is important. If I was on a PvE server, gear wouldn't really matter to me.

I enjoy the "dangers" of the PvP server but the simple fact that Blizzard is trying to force people into a certain game style is a complete turn off for me. I like it how it is now. I can go about getting decent gear at my own pace without having to make arrangements and forgo real life obligations. I can also enjoy PvP without having to resort to min/maxing arena BS and the whole "Arena team LF any class. Must have 400+ resilience" nonsense.

Staying competitive, in my case, means that I have decent enough gear so that I can defend myself from a  player who's character has the best PvP gear available, when the said player is bored and tries to gank me while I'm going about my business. As I said before, I'm on a PvP server and surviving ganks and potential camps is important. If I was on a PvE server, gear wouldn't really matter to me.
    I enjoy the "dangers" of the PvP server but the simple fact that Blizzard is trying to force people into a certain game style is a complete turn off for me. I like it how it is now. I can go about getting decent gear at my own pace without having to make arrangements and forgo real life obligations. I can also enjoy PvP without having to resort to min/maxing arena BS and the whole "Arena team LF any class. Must have 400+ resilience" nonsense. 

In that case you don't have to worry. You can still get decent gear without spending 1 second in the arena. You just have to accept that it wont be the best gear currently available. (PVP gear that is)

• eq2jseq2js Member Posts: 94

Gajari,
    I think you hit on a good point.  One of the main reasons people do hate the Arena is because your skill is put 'out there'.   Think about this.. 50% of all Arena players will lose more games then they win.  Now think about the average MMORPG player

The hatred towards Arenas is so pointed because half the players MUST lose, and their score is out there for anyone to see.  No other MMORPG that I am aware of 'grades' people like this and makes it public.

I don't think that it's a very accurate assessment. Arenas is not really about skill unless you're talking about equally geared teams consisting of the same classes. We all know that certain classes have a particular advantage against other classes and that certain team compositions are generally better in arenas than others. Unfortunately, or fortunately (depending on how you look at it) this game is not really about skill.

With that being said, personally, I dislike arenas because to me that's not what Warcraft should be about. Warcraft is suppose to be about war, not duels and esport. Yet, the esport arenas allow you to get the best PvP gear in the game and BGs (which mimic what Warcraft should be about, do not. Another reason is the organization involved. Where as in a BG, I can just log on and do a few AV's any time I want, when it comes to arenas, I have to make sure that I log on when my teammates are on and set some time of to grind with them.

Basically, being a casual gamer, I get shafted. It doesn't matter though as I'm not planning on buying the expansion any time soon. In my opinion, there really is nothing new being introduced except for more grind.

Actually, part of skill would include making an arena team with classes and specs that work well togethor...

for example, an arena team with 2 prot pallys would get ownd by everyone, but an arena team with a ret pally and a holy pally/resto druid would do much better

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

Really ?  I quit playing about 2 months ago cause they destroy the warlock class (my class)  in WOTLK.  Now i read they want peoples to play arenas for the best gears ?  I dont see myself playing WOW again. 

Originally posted by eq2js

Gajari,

Actually, part of skill would include making an arena team with classes and specs that work well togethor...

for example, an arena team with 2 prot pallys would get ownd by everyone, but an arena team with a ret pally and a holy pally/resto druid would do much better

I suspect their whole argument is against that. I just find it silly how some people want to be one of the top teams and not want to compromise not even slightly. FPS games are going strong for exactly that reason, some people just want their acomplishment to be a reasult of nothing else but pure player skill. I can understand that, but arena style PVP has one more layer of depth which consists of some form of tactical planing before you enter arena.

I'm playing 2 rogue 2v2 arena team, but I know we're very much fucked if go against pally/warrior, but we wanted it that way, some luck, some risk, and all the skill we got.

I was never over 1900 rating, but still, every victory is that much more rewarding because I know, it was me and my buddy who made it, not some group, or because we were fotm.

• sirchunxsirchunx Member Posts: 2

I think the OP is totally confused as to what hes talking about in his first post and just gets even more confused in the 2nd. I am just gunna run down some stuff here that should be known to all who post in this thread already.

10 games for arena credit has been the same since the begining of arenas.

PVP in WoW is a rocks/paper/scissors game. Arenas are the best place for this to be seen. Specific teams come out on top of other teams.  All combos have a team they are atleast weak to.

Arenas come down to communication and CC mainly. You don't just run in an go balls to the wall you save mana, energy rage, cc's and instant casts for specific moments. (IE, rogue/priest team got a warrior down to 40%, priest fears druid healer for warrior but he trinkets and starts to cast, rogue blinds druid, and once blind is almost up shs saps him. if warrior is still going by the time this is up the priest can sneak another fear in)

Since the start of BC bg gear has always been crap except for the 3 pieces of non set epics the trinkets and possibly a gem here and there.  I am sure bg'ers will still have the option of getting said crap gear from only bg'ing if they want it.

The GM post u posted breaks down to this: For the epics Arena players must bg for enough  points to buy them...so why can the bg player get them without having to arena? Thats why they made rating changes as well as point requirements 4 gear. (see list of new arena gear and ratings/points)

BG's take far less skill or knowledge of your class then arenas. You can roll into a BG in all blues and still be top 10 in your faction. AV is pretty much just a pve gear battle, wsg just depends if your runner/healers have gear, eots can easily be won with smart playing as well as ab. Arenas require u to figure out what gear to wear, partner to roll with, resil lvls and specs will work best for survivability or max dps.

If you love bg's just stick to bg's and get the gear it offers its not terribad just not as good as arena gear. not to many people who arena full time go to bg's just to pwn guys in lower gear, I mean  they could be getting there ratings up.

New gear lists: 3 tiers of arena gear.... tier 1 requires no rating just weekly points earned from 10 games tier 2 requires average ratings and tier 3 takes a little skill....

Savage Gladiator's requirements:

Chest - no rating - 6000 honor and 350 arena points

Hands - no rating - 3600 honor and 200 arena points

Head - no rating - 6000 honor and 350 arena points

Legs - no rating - 6000 honor and 350 arena points

Shoulder - no rating - 4800 and 275 arena points

MH Weapons - no rating - 8400 honor and 475 arena points

OH Weapons & Items - no rating - 3600 honor and 200 arena points

Shields - no rating - 6000 honor and 350 arena points

2H Weapons - no rating - 12000 honor and 700 arena points

Caster 1H Weapons - no rating - 10000 honor and 575 arena points

Ranged Weapon - no rating - 12000 honor and 700 arena points

Throwing Weapon - no rating - 3200 honor and 175 arena points

Wands & Relics - - no rating - 3200 honor and 175 arena points

Hateful Gladiator's requirements:

Chest - 1725 rating - 6000 honor and 700 arena points

Hands - 1665 rating - 3600 honor and 400 arena points

Head - 1785 rating - 6000 honor and 700 arena points

Legs - 1695 rating - 6000 honor and 700 arena points

Shoulder - 1825 rating - 4800 and 550 arena points

MH Weapons - 1755 rating - 8400 honor and 950 arena points

OH Weapons & Items - 1755 rating - 3600 honor and 400 arena points

Shields - 1755 rating - 6000 honor and 700 arena points

2H Weapons - 1755 rating - 12000 honor and 1400 arena points

Caster 1H Weapons - 1755 rating - 10000 honor and 1150 arena points

Ranged Weapon - 1755 rating - 12000 honor and 1400 arena points

Throwing Weapon - 1755 rating - 3200 honor and 350 arena points

Wands - 1755 rating - 3200 honor and 350 arena points

Deadly Gladiator's requirements:

Chest - 2020 rating - 2250 arena points

Hands - 1900 rating - 1350 arena points

Head - no rating - 6000 honor and 350 arena points (bug?)

Legs - 1960 rating - 2250 arena points

Shoulder - 2200 rating - 1800 arena points

MH Weapons - 2080 rating - 3150 arena points

OH Weapons & Items - 2080 rating - 1350 arena points

Shields - 2080 rating - 2250 arena points

2H Weapons - 2080 rating - 4500 arena points

Caster 1H Weapons - 2080 rating - 3150 arena points

Ranged Weapon - 2080 rating - 4500 arena points

Throwing Weapon - 2080 rating - 1200 arena points

Wands - 2080 rating - 1200 arena points