Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

why dont people hate Turbine? (another why so much hate on AoC post)

13»

Comments

• arimerarimer Member Posts: 124
    Originally posted by jaxsundane

Originally posted by BoudahXL

Originally posted by arimer

I didn't see Funcom doing anything different from any other MMO at launch.  They released with stuff still not finished like most mmo's.  They played the deny and excuse game like Blizzard did with the honor system that was supposedly ready for launch and that turbine did with most things in DDO.   They Overhyped their game knowing it wasn't ready to hold subscribers like EQ2  and Tabula rasa did.   To me the only thing that changed was the players.  In past launches the players would take whatever they were given and they'd deal with it.  In AoC everyone had the "this game should be perfect and any bug fixes should come instantly " attitude.  Then it took on the Napoleon Dynamite quality as I like to call it where it's cool to do something.  Like watch a crappy movie and say it rocks.  But in this case it was the cool thing to do to say it sucks even if you've never played it.
    Was AoC ready for launch?  No  Did it get treated abnormally compared to other MMO's? In my opinion Yes.  Was Gaute Godager an idiot?  Yes and this was known since AO.  The fact is AoC will be just Like AO.  It will start crappy but come back to have a pretty strong and loyal following after Guadager left.

Easily one of the best post in ages in these forums.

A company has to redeem itself for lying, but if you kill it there is no way to accomplish this nor chance to do otherwise.

Where is the admission to lying where is the contrition there is none and maybe that is why people continue to rail against them honestly the only people who share this opinion is the five of you who still play this game so for the sake of argument let's take into context what they did and imagine that you didn't think the game was fun then you see where the other 400k or so players who used to play this game feel.

If I don't think a game is fun I stop playing it and put it off to the side until such time that the company or community improves it with patches (in the case of gothic 3) or a better game that's similar comes out.

What I don't do is envision that I'm on some moral crusade to destroy the game and save the galactic empire from the evil Funcomians.  You probably spend more time complaining about AoC then I do talking about it.  I once again bring up the fat ex girlfriend scenerio.  You dump them and then she stalks you the rest of your life.  That's kind of what's happening here except you Chose to leave yet your still stalking the game like it stole your baby.

Originally posted by JonMichael

Originally posted by kazson

Turbine brought out Asherson Call...kinda rocky when it started but turned out to be a great MMO.
    Turnbine then released Ac2, one of the rare MMO's in history that failed so bad they shut down the servers...(Horizon's and shadowbane still have active servers !)
    Then they released DDO, same rocky start, big drop off of players. Right now its better but its still a very small niche player.
    They finally get it right with Lord of the rings. boom success.
    so it took Turbine literally 4 MMO's before they got it right and people still love them...

Maybe because Turbine has never lied, mislead or copped attitudes with their playerbase like FunCom has?

Honesty does wonders.

Never been to the DDO forums have you?  Go in there and you'll find accusations and accounts of Turbine doing all three of those things.

• BurnthebedBurnthebed Member Posts: 443

Simple answer;

Because Turbine is a good company with a history of making decent games (other than AC2 and even then some people loved it).

Funcom on the other hand has a history of making horrible games.

The sleeper awakes...and rides his dirtbike to the mall.

• lumachelumache Member Posts: 314

Originally posted by JonMichael

Originally posted by kazson

Turbine brought out Asherson Call...kinda rocky when it started but turned out to be a great MMO.
    Turnbine then released Ac2, one of the rare MMO's in history that failed so bad they shut down the servers...(Horizon's and shadowbane still have active servers !)
    Then they released DDO, same rocky start, big drop off of players. Right now its better but its still a very small niche player.
    They finally get it right with Lord of the rings. boom success.
    so it took Turbine literally 4 MMO's before they got it right and people still love them...

Maybe because Turbine has never lied, mislead or copped attitudes with their playerbase like FunCom has?

Honesty does wonders.

Never been to the DDO forums have you?  Go in there and you'll find accusations and accounts of Turbine doing all three of those things.

People tend to get angry with Turbine because they are such an uptight company.  And they are indeed.  Ive never seen a more uptight group of folks in my life, where games are concerned. That being said the level of quality in their work is not a subject of debate.  They do good stuff over there. I for one LOVED Ac and AC2 and I was really upset to see AC2 fail.... but you cant leave the chat system broken that long and expect people to keep logging on, lets be honest.

Lotro, for me mind you, did not offer end game content.  It simply did not.  However on the days we werent raiding or whatever, there was the music system and the racial clothing and all that stuff. You could log in and jam in a group playing the songs tailor made for your particular instrument.  I mean that was enough for me some nights.

The player base in Lotro was also fantastic. Yea there were the average Joe idiots and the morons that thought that they had reputations in the game and all that weaksauce stuff, but I also met a nice core group of people.

The only problem I ever had was a psycho GM that sorta stalked me there at the end. Other than that, I did enjoy the game.  They tried to add more and more free content, but that is is a struggle I think for any company. Time and cost to develop over the time it takes the player base to consume is a rough reality I think....

This is one of the reasons I wanted to love Conan. I wanted a game where the players could create the content through PVP.. I wanted to ride my Mammoth through a player city wall and gore and maim people, YEP I did.  I wanted to gather materials and enjoy creating a city and all that..... There is no depth in the game however and nothing but a race to get a T3 city.  Crafting is based on the city which requires a BUT load of time to build.... Its just like noone that designed the game ever played it or something.  Its hollow and bug ridden, with tiny lilttle box shaped 'Zones'. 

This is far from what I had in mind when I decided to get two CE editions. FAR FAR from what most of us had in mind, as is evidenced by the declining population. 

It is truly an example, at EVERY SINGLE level, of HOW NOT TO MAKE AN MMO.

-Lum

Originally posted by Burnthebed

Simple answer;
    Because Turbine is a good company with a history of making decent games (other than AC2 and even then some people loved it).
    Funcom on the other hand has a history of making horrible games.

Correction, they have a history of terrible launches.   AO turned around and was a very popular game and to this day still has a pretty loyal following.  Conan will most likely turn out the same way. Poor beginning but turn around into a pretty good game.  I don't know if we should blame GG for this since he was game diferctor at launch for both, or if we should blame the Funcom investors who force the game out so they can get a return on their investments.

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

Well we will see if Turbine adds dx10 support to DDO aswell before Funcom does in AoC ;)

Does that answer your question?

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• einexileeinexile Member UncommonPosts: 197

Who said anyone loved Turbine? People love LotRO because it's mostly an excellent game for what it is, but in my experience few people who've formed a serious opinion of Turbine based on their record have any love for them as a company. Also consider that most of the individuals responsible for that overall very dismal record are gone now.

Having said that, Funcom's overall track record is actually very good, and the person responsible for much of the bad is now similarly gone from that company. Meanwhile, Sirillion was one of the hardest working people in the MMO industry before he even worked in it professionally (plus he's a good person), and there's no reason to believe AoC won't eventually shine just as Anarchy Online and LotRO do.

einexile the meek
    Vacuos, Winterlong, Vaciante, Eicosapenta
    Atlantean, Tyranny, Malton

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

I honestly think it is the combination of everything that got FC and AoC the rep it has now days with many. I mean most of these companies producing games are in on form or another guilty of many of the things FC is, just not ALL of them. The only one I can think of that was as bad as FC was the company that made Dark and Light who is now being sued and has a rep so bad  I don't think they will ever be allowed back in the gamming industry lol.

With the combination of issue's  lies, Interviews full of lies, very poor customer service, missing content, missing KEY FEATURES, broken features, imbalances in almost everything, poor implementation of alot of things, neglegence concerning commen issue's already a standard to deal with in the industry and it just goes on. 

I mean the entire fiasco encompassed many things that other companies are guilty of yes, but none of the other companies have had all of the issue's FC did. They handled this like a rookie company that probably shouldn't have even been in the industry to begin with. 

All in all I think people got fed up, FC became the embodiement of everything that is wrong with the industry and they put there foot down and said were not going to take it anymore. Some have moved on some are still there fighting what they consider the good fight. 

I personaly don't care anymore. I have accepted the game sucks and that no matter what I say there going to do what there going to do. I enjoy the Bear Shaman class and thats it, when they do server merge's I will re-sub and play my bear shaman till I get bored. Then I'll quit and never look back. The company did a very poor job in almost every aspect. The game could have been Epic that was it's potential, but due to far to many mistakes it will never live up to the  potential it had.

• BadOpCodeBadOpCode Member Posts: 4
    Originally posted by lumache

Originally posted by openedge1

I didn't see Funcom doing anything different from any other MMO at launch.  They released with stuff still not finished like most mmo's.  They played the deny and excuse game like Blizzard did with the honor system that was supposedly ready for launch and that turbine did with most things in DDO.   They Overhyped their game knowing it wasn't ready to hold subscribers like EQ2  and Tabula rasa did.   To me the only thing that changed was the players.  In past launches the players would take whatever they were given and they'd deal with it.  In AoC everyone had the "this game should be perfect and any bug fixes should come instantly " attitude.  Then it took on the Napoleon Dynamite quality as I like to call it where it's cool to do something.  Like watch a crappy movie and say it rocks.  But in this case it was the cool thing to do to say it sucks even if you've never played it.
    Was AoC ready for launch?  No  Did it get treated abnormally compared to other MMO's? In my opinion Yes.  Was Gaute Godager an idiot?  Yes and this was known since AO.  The fact is AoC will be just Like AO.  It will start crappy but come back to have a pretty strong and loyal following after Guadager left.

Well stated, and truth.

The only games to even get close to this hate was Vanguard and the NGE...and then not like this insane mob stylings of everyone taking on an SOE-Fail signature avatar image or something...

Yet, SOE CONSTANTLY does this crap to their customers..

Why so different an attitude?

SWG was far better at launch than AoC, in fact ive seen poeple on the forums begging to have it put back to the way it WAS at launch.  Wont see that on AoC forums now will you? Great way to cover FUNCOM for the crap game they released though... Everyones doing it... well what if they all jumped off a bridge? Would you pay to play that one too?

Things look better in the rear view mirror.  SWG had some hideous bugs in the beginning.  When your talking a roll back to the beginning your thinking of like Publish 8.  Because Publish 1&2 was a car wreck.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

At one time i considered Turbine a whipping boy that would take on any project and follow any direction the money bags would tell them.They had no ego or self respect,money talks everything else walks. They couldn't care less about there project as long as they were getting paid..I saw them butcher several games in the beginning so when time came for LOTR i had ZERO confidence in them.I have yet to this day tried LOTR so i can't even comment at all on it.I have read quite a bit on it and it does seem to have a fair bit of content and many people say it's community is very good.

This could very well be there first good effort,but in reality,who runs Turbine?Are they actually given full control of there projects?or are they told exactly what to do?Turbine seems very IDK,Just weird from day one in how they do business and handle there operations.

Turbine reminds me in some way of BIOWARE,a mickey mouse operation that pretends to be with the big boys.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Originally posted by Papadam

Well we will see if Turbine adds dx10 support to DDO aswell before Funcom does in AoC ;)
    Does that answer your question?

Read the release notes.  AoC started off with DX10.  They removed it to work on bugs.  It's not a big deal to put back DX10, but than there isn't a big rush to do it to support all 100 PC gamers running Vista in the world.

AoC is far from dying.  Most of the bugs have been worked out.  But i'm glad most of mainstream have went away.  It's a lot nicer to play without the psycho's trying to race to max out their characters level.  Those are the people that get frustrated the most and do as the one guy on here posted "stalk the game."  AoC is a different kind of game.   A few things weren't working. WAH!  It is far from being unplayable.  You just had to be able to read release notes and forums and push off and do the million and one other things that is working.  People without patience really shouldn't play these games when they start (or at all would be nice too.)  But they are the ones that usually makes up the population of the starting gate.  Bouncing from one  hyped up game to the next.  I knew AoC wasn't going to be for any these people.  I knew they were all going to leave pissed off even when they were bad mouthing WoW or some other MMORPG in the global chat.  In fact I was counting the days until all these annoying people would leave the game and the game would settle down and get down to business with a real player base.

AoC will be around and it will gain popularity.  But not this way with the fadical goof troop.  It's a differnet kind of style of game and it will have to grow its player base.

But in all honesty I don't even see a change of response to what has happened to AoC as opposed to a lot of  the complex rule based MMORPG's.  Even the stalking hate users are the same.  I have heard this exact same story before only with different names.

But IMHO the thing that ruins games the most is the impatient immature players who whine and complain about everything.  They won't even leave you alone to let you enjoy something.  Because its their civic duty to make everyone elses life is as miserable as their pathetic existance.

AoC maybe "the worst game ever created compared to blah blah blah..." but I still love playing it.

As far as i'm concerned the game really didn't start till all the jerks went away and things are just now starting to pickup.

{ Mod Edit }

Originally posted by Wizardry

At one time i considered Turbine a whipping boy that would take on any project and follow any direction the money bags would tell them.They had no ego or self respect,money talks everything else walks. They couldn't care less about there project as long as they were getting paid..I saw them butcher several games in the beginning so when time came for LOTR i had ZERO confidence in them.I have yet to this day tried LOTR so i can't even comment at all on it.I have read quite a bit on it and it does seem to have a fair bit of content and many people say it's community is very good.
    This could very well be there first good effort,but in reality,who runs Turbine?Are they actually given full control of there projects?or are they told exactly what to do?Turbine seems very IDK,Just weird from day one in how they do business and handle there operations.
    Turbine reminds me in some way of BIOWARE,a mickey mouse operation that pretends to be with the big boys.

LOTRO was the first Turbine game I had ever played so I can't compare to any other.  The thing that pissed me off the most about LoTRo and frustrated me to the point of leaving was the fact that you don't get a indicator for quests on your map.  You quest journal just has written directions.  Which is great.  Added realism.  I get it.  yeeha!  But the directions are ridiculous and are like those directions you get from your buddy for a party they are at when they are wasted drunk.  My favorite is refering to landmarks not listed on the map that you have to be 20 feet from by randomly wandering around before you can see them.  All other aspect the game was cool as hell though. 

Yes I knew about the map system and the search thing on the web.  I used the hell out of it too.  But it just seemed even more ridiculous everyone using a website to find stuff.  Why not just put it in the game?

I don't know... I kind of think Funcom and Turbine as more of the Mickey Mouse operations pretending to be the big boys than Bioware.

• PezzBombPezzBomb Member Posts: 248

In all honesty AoC gamers. I think it is idiotic to post in a thread with the title "Why are we not hating on Turbine and LotRO?". I boycot hatecampains against any game and I suggest all of you to do the same. If we need to discuss LotRO in the AoC forums then make a new thread with a different title like i.e. "Discussions on LotRO and AoC".

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by PezzBomb

In all honesty AoC gamers. I think it is idiotic to post in a thread with the title "Why are we not hating on Turbine and LotRO?". I boycot hatecampains against any game and I suggest all of you to do the same. If we need to discuss LotRO in the AoC forums then make a new thread with a different title like i.e. "Discussions on LotRO and AoC".

But you just posted in this thread oO.......

But anyways I take it you didn't read the OP. He was saying why all the hate for FC when other companies have made similar mistakes.

• jnewljnewl Member Posts: 26

But IMHO the thing that ruins games the most is the impatient immature players who whine and complain about everything.  They won't even leave you alone to let you enjoy something.  Because its their civic duty to make everyone elses life is as miserable as their pathetic existance.

I totally agree with this. I can understand the anger at Funcom, even if I don't share it, and recognize another player's right to feel that way and express his opinion, but at the same time when such players are destroying the very thing others have come there for--fun--I feel the contented players have every right to be miffed.

I mean, if the product here were refrigerators and a company was turning out defective units, only the company and the dissatisfied people themselves would be forced to deal with the consequences. Those who got good refrigerators, or were at least satisfied with what they got, would be at home refrigerating things. But in this case, the product is a shared experience with the end of fun in mind. Thus, when someone comes along and , for whatever reason, spoils the fun of those who are having it, it's analagous to some guy who got a bad refrigerator coming over to your house and beating yours to a pulp, too. He's actually affecting your product, in a negative and damaging way.

This, I think, is the major reason contented players react so strongly to negative talk. It's not that they don't think the unhappy people have a right to their opinions and may even be, in the main, right. It's just that negative players who hang around and rant and moan are actively destroying the very thing they're paying money to have: a good time.

Some ancient cultures used to worship cats as gods. Cats have never forgotten this.

• SarrSarr Member UncommonPosts: 466

Hi :). DDO will have Module 8 with hirelings and DX10 support, as well as some major bug fixes and high-level content on Wednesday :). Trial for US will be up probably at the same time. They also modernized their hardware, probably in preparation for big numbers of new players, which come to us even now, before the premiere (!).

But if you want to jump and check this game right now (as it has changed Much), I invite you to DDO EU, where I play. As an experienced MMO player I can say we have one of the best and most friendly communities (in DDO EU), great discussions and news regularly on forums, etc. Something what WoW never really had ;). Very friendly and dedicated fan base, overall. Maybe not everyone, but that's always this way, right?

Module 8 will come to DDO EU maybe 2-3 weeks after DDO US has it (EU client must be translated), but probably you can get as many trials as you want, if you have some e-mail accounts ;).

So, I really invite you to the best MMORPG game I ever played. Which turned out to be DDO :).

The only thing of advice to newcomers - if you'd like to solo and have some fun, wait for Module 8 with new character generator and hirelings. If you don't get the 'classes', 'races', 'stats' etc. I would encourage you to wait for it too. The whole experience for new players will change dramatically with Mod8.

I'm also looking to DX10 with Mod8, as I use Vista for a long time and never had problems with it. Just remember it's 'beta' of it, so many more effects will be added with upcoming updates.

Polish Sword Coast Legends Portal http://www.swordcoast.pl/
    SwordCoast.pl Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SwordCoastPL/
    SwordCoast.pl Twitter: https://twitter.com/SwordCoastPL
    Polish Neverwinter Portal http://www.neverwinter.com.pl/
    Polish D&D Online Portal http://www.ddopl.com
    DDOpl Twitter: http://twitter.com/DDOpl
    Great DDO PodCast by Jerry & co. http://www.ddocast.com

• NarugNarug Member UncommonPosts: 756
    Originally posted by jaxsundane
    Turbine doesn't treat it's customers like dollar signs which is essentially what Funcom did when they launched AOC in the state it was. I'm fairly certain that before launch there was atleast one meeting where they compared the benefits vs rewards of launching in that sad state and ultimately the dollar signs won out. I don't even see how you can compare turbine who may release games that don't please the masses with Funcom who are full of themselves while hoisting steaming piles onto the gaming community.

Some could say closing a game people enjoyed, AC2, was an action of valuing the dollar signs over the customer.  You can bring that meeting scenario on to Turbine's step too.

Really.  People have to check their double standards at the door.

AC2 Player RIP Final Death Jan 31st 2017

Refugee of Auberean

Refugee of Dereth