Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A few questions about EVE

sanders01sanders01 Member Posts: 1,357

So I've tried the trial before for EVE but never had enough time to really "try" it before I gave it up, so I came here to ask a few questions about eve before I try again. 

1. How long does it take to become a "good" player? As in, I can do Combat and Mining well :P

2. My playstyle is mostly the stealthy hit and run type, but with the skills to make alot of money if nessicary, so I was wondering what kind of build would you guys suggest for that and what kind of shit?

3. I've played POTBS, I loved it, but now that it's dying, I have to move on, so is the PvP populated? Can I get into enough fights to satisfy my bloodthirst?

Currently restarting World of Warcraft :/

Comments

• batolemaeusbatolemaeus Member CommonPosts: 2,061

Originally posted by sanders01
    is the PvP populated? Can I get into enough fights to satisfy my bloodthirst?

yeah..

If you join a helpful corp you can be pvping and have reliable means to make money within 1-2 weeks of initial learning. It depends entirely on you, though. Some people have only been on the receiving end of non-consentual pvp for years, while i made my step into pvp after two weeks. Some started with pirating on their second day..

For "good"..everyone defines this differently. I say after you learned a few tactics and game mechanics, other think they need the skills for a titan first. The truth is somewhre in between i guess.

And as there are no builds, just balance your attributes during character creation. A little less on charisma, a few points more on perception, and you're good.

• sanders01sanders01 Member Posts: 1,357

Alright, thanks. Would you reccomend any ship to start pvping with? I know I shouldnt fly what I cant afford to lose etc. but other than that, I know nothing about ships :P

The minmatar rifter is probably the best t1 frigate for pvp. It's a ship i avoid engaging with any other frigate except a few exceptions.

But there's usually no best. You chose ships that accomplish specific tasks best, each has its own specialization. Don't worry though, knowledge about them comes with time.

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785

http://www.eve-online-fan.co.uk/piracy-guide.php

http://www.eve-online.com/guide/en/g61_1.asp

These might help, and I would defiantly train Minmatar early. Gallente is also a good choice. YMMV

The first guide should give you some idea of how long it will take for PVP, and how to go about it.

Alright, thanks for the help guys :)

• x_rast_xx_rast_x Member Posts: 745

So I've tried the trial before for EVE but never had enough time to really "try" it before I gave it up, so I came here to ask a few questions about eve before I try again. 
    1. How long does it take to become a "good" player? As in, I can do Combat and Mining well :P
    Eve combat is much more about player skills than skillpoints - if you know what you're doing you can be 'goood' despite not being able to actually do a whole lot on your first day.

Generally, early on you should try to specialize heavily.  You can think of specializations as being akin to 'classes' in other games, with the caveat that you can have more than one and can mix and match freely.  Once you master one area, go on to another.  And try to train skills that affect every ship you fly to IV as soon as possible, V eventually.
    Mining gets really boring after a while - unless you have a hard-on for staring at rocks all day I'd suggest you run missions instead - I have Exhumers V and don't mine at all anymore, though I do engage in a lot of ore trading, in terms of ISK/hr I could make more doing lv. 4 missions.  And the skills you learn doing missions will help you a lot more in pvp than mining skills.
    2. My playstyle is mostly the stealthy hit and run type, but with the skills to make alot of money if nessicary, so I was wondering what kind of build would you guys suggest for that and what kind of shit?
    As was said, there really aren't any 'builds' as such.  Nothing beats carebearing it up for making money, but if you want to make not as much money but do hit-and-run style play you'll probably want to look into getting started as a pirate.  As on the official Crime and Punishment forums about any corps that might be willing to take a rookie, they'll show you the ropes.
    3. I've played POTBS, I loved it, but now that it's dying, I have to move on, so is the PvP populated? Can I get into enough fights to satisfy my bloodthirst?
    Eve *is* PvP.   Just about everything in this game is pvp in some form - whether it's shooty-shooty alliance warfare in 0.0, playing the markets, or even just mining, nearly everythinig puts you against other players.  Indeed, the only strictly PvE activity in Eve - mission running - is widely considered to be the game's weakest aspect.

If you want to shoot shit, I'd suggest you join a militia -  there's lots of fights and nearly everyone flies small ships most of the time, in contrast with more traditional pirate and alliance fleets, which are very BS-heavy.  I'm in the Gallente militia and having a blast - highsec is still safe enough for me to fly my freighter making ISK, and I can jump into a combat ship, go roaming, and get fights just about every day.  Don't always win, but that's how it goes.  I've also noticed a rather strong 'Horde Effect', for lack of a better term, with the Gallente.  Basically we're really, really outnumbered by the Caldari, which forces us to be better players and lets us get more fights.  So even though they got 2:1 odds on us it ends up being pretty even.

Don't get too attached to your implants, you'll get podded a couple times 'till you get the hang of things.

Very nice write up, I'll definiatly have to retry this game.

Originally posted by x_rast_x

Mining gets really boring after a while - unless you have a hard-on for staring at rocks all day I'd suggest you run missions instead - I have Exhumers V and don't mine at all anymore

I found a way to enjoy mining, if only for the epicness of using a titan to jump-portal a mining fleet into a remote system, set up a temporary pos, lock down the system, bring in rorquals, jumpfreighters and a lot of haulers, and then mine out an entire system.

It's someting for those hard core scifi nerds who can enjoy themselves by just seing capitals slowboating around and ships buzzing around..

Hm I have one more question, how long in-game would it take me to get enough to buy a GTC? :)

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

OK one go min or gla are great min is great for low level ships, but i like gala ton more for larger ships.

How long? months min. proably 3-4 its just the truth.

Ok what else you'll not be solo hit and running ANYTHING in a frigate unless you catch someone with no friends and you tackle and move really fast. But if you get some friends well then you can make use of it.

But take some tiem find a corp ya want to join and take it from there.

to use isk to pay for your play you need larger ships or to set up a good system of produection , which usually takes big ships or firends to start.

So not too long if you know what you are doing, trading is the fastest way to do this battle ships, indis, even cruisers can do this oif you focus on faction/t2 equipment.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

Gtc prices are rising for a number of reasons. I think they broke the half bil isk already.
    It's probably the combination of less people wanting to buy isk with gtc, and more people who hesitate to subscribe but try to finance gtc with isk.
    Anyways, demand is rising, supply is dropping. No matter what happens, I don't see it stopping.

(0.5b for a 60d, so 250m per month. Doable, yes, after a few months. But honestly, imo that money is better spent in ships..)

Originally posted by batolemaeus

Gtc prices are rising for a number of reasons. I think they broke the half bil isk already.

It's probably the combination of less people wanting to buy isk with gtc, and more people who hesitate to subscribe but try to finance gtc with isk.

Anyways, demand is rising, supply is dropping. No matter what happens, I don't see it stopping.
    (0.5b for a 60d, so 250m per month. Doable, yes, after a few months. But honestly, imo that money is better spent in ships..)

250m is like a few hours of work if your pimpin'

But it take real market understanding to swing it.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

Alright, was wondering if I could suppliment some of my income once in a while for a few free months, seems like I should just save the isk for ships then :)

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695

Alright, was wondering if I could suppliment some of my income once in a while for a few free months, seems like I should just save the isk for ships then :)

You will need it for ships if you lose them.  People who do well in the gtc "industry" set themselves up as a character to do that and generally do it so well they pay for their money account and their combat account.  They take as little risk as possible in order to make as much isk as possible.  Generally this means a "business" character, not a combat character.  With that said, combat characters can do it too, it just takes more time to get yourself set up to make money off combat instead of the market.

Yes the best way to make this money is to trade, make , etc. While you can combat also , to make the money this is your best bet.