Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does TOR spark any interest in SWG?

EtheomEtheom Member UncommonPosts: 64

Hello everyone. I've snooped around the MMORPG forums for a while now, and I've just now started to become active in posting. My guild and I have been brought into a dilemma, so I'm going to post it to the public and see if it sparks any interest.

I'm apart of Foundation Stone, a pre-CU Rebel guild from the Kauri server. Ever since the NGE's release, the guild has been trying other MMOs to keep the guild active and together. First we went to WoW, then on to AoC, and currently we're playing Warhammer. However, there a quite a few of our veterans (including myself) who are not satisfied. We're all Star Wars fans, and it seems like every MMO we play only fills half of the spectrum. WoW was fun for raiding, but it didn't offer much pvp. AoC had a very interesting and fun combat system, but the game lost so much population that there was no one to pvp against. Warhammer has a great idea in the RvR keep sieges, but the combat feels very bland and boring. SWG NGE isn't the sandbox that we remember, but it IS Star Wars.

Obviously, we're all hardcore Star Wars fans. We have been following the TOR rumors for a year, and we're ecstatic that the game has been announced. The only problem is, it's going to be quite a long time before we get to play it! I wouldn't be surprised if this takes well over a year, if not two years to complete. Two years is a very long time for a guild to not be satisfied. We have to keep moving, and stay active.

So this is what I'm getting at: Our old SWG veterans sparked interest in SWG now that TOR has been announced, and we're wondering if anyone else are in our shoes. Putting aside the judgment, hatred, and despise towards SOE, has TOR sparked your interest in SWG? Be honest with us, because we're hoping we aren't the only ones.

P.S. Most of us have our toons on Bloodfin, while there are still some that are stuck on Kauri. SOE has announced a free character transfer for early next year, but that's quite some time away.

Thanks for reading.

www.foundation-stone.net

Comments

• EbenEmaelEbenEmael Member Posts: 334

What happened to the previous posts on this thread?

• jinxitjinxit Member UncommonPosts: 854

For me yes it does spark a bit of interest  in the old girl again, I have been back a few times but lost interest because of Intrepids population woes...oh and then there was that thing with my account being hacked.....

When the free transfers come through (and they sort out my ruddy hacked and butchered account) then yes....

I'll be back.

• WrithWrith Member Posts: 85

I've been kinda tempted myself, simply to fill that starwars need till SWTOR is released, also I am lacking an MMO at the moment.

I don't think the idea of considering SWG as a tie you over is all that ridiculous. The important thing is to remember it is just a tie over so you can't really complain to much that it isn't the game you want. I'll probably flip a coin tomorrow while I am out to decide if I want to just be tied over.

• ZodiaEclipseZodiaEclipse Member Posts: 100

Hey I played on Intrepid too! I never find anyone else who admits to that.

The way I see it I haven't played SWG in awhile now (went back a few times, but couldn't stay into it with nobody else around) so I can go awhile longer while I wait for TOR. I'm really looking forward to the new game, but I going back to SWG would just remind me of all the things I miss about it and I don't want to ruin TOR by building up expectations of the good old days.

• EtheomEtheom Member UncommonPosts: 64

Thanks for the replies. I've talked to many people that are in the same boat as us. It's a very confusing situation. If enough people plan to go back to Bloodfin, I wouldn't mind doing it all. It just depends on how many people really want to play SWG again.

• AirwrenAirwren Member UncommonPosts: 648

Lol, the ol' FS guild is still out and about eh?  Good times on Kauri as a member of Wrath when we fought with you guys in game, and then took the **it talking to the forums.  Those days are long gone Phain, but sorely missed.  I initially thought about giving SWG a shot when I realized that SWtOR was announced, but I have since come to my senses.  The game is a smoldering pile of crap and I personally think it will ruin my outlook on the new game if I go back.  If anything this rash of orc and gnome games I'm playing right now make me even more anxious for TOR.  My suggestion, don't bother going back, it will only make you miss the pre-cu days even more.  Are you guys on the same server as WDMKR in WAR?

• ThunderousThunderous Member Posts: 1,152

No.  TOR sparks no interest from me for SWG.  SWG is probably in the bottom 5 MMO games currently on the market and has one of the smallest development teams to go with it.  Also, it has gamebreaking bugs that have been present since 2003!

2003 and this thing still has MAJOR bugs.

The Hoth artwork could be done better in 11th grade computer programming. 

SWG is done.  If LucasArts and SOE had any ethics this game would be free to play and you would only have to pay for the box.

Tecmo Bowl.

• jusomdudejusomdude Member RarePosts: 2,706

I've already re-subbed to it enough times to know better, finally.

• FikusOfAhaziFikusOfAhazi Member Posts: 1,835

Didn't spark any interest in me.

See you in the dream..
    The Fires from heaven, now as cold as ice. A rapid ascension tolls a heavy price.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

My home server is Lowca and I have two toons there.  I also started two toons on Bria since the NGE and used some of my vet rewards on those toons.  So....I don't know how that would all work.  Plus I doubt I would be interested in going to any other server than Bria as it seems to be the most populated.

If it was Bria and if I could transfer my main two toons, along with the houses and belongings I packed up,maybe.  Right now I just resubbed to Warhammer.  I caved in...what can I say.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575
    Originally posted by phain

Hello everyone. I've snooped around the MMORPG forums for a while now, and I've just now started to become active in posting. My guild and I have been brought into a dilemma, so I'm going to post it to the public and see if it sparks any interest.
    I'm apart of Foundation Stone, a pre-CU Rebel guild from the Kauri server. Ever since the NGE's release, the guild has been trying other MMOs to keep the guild active and together. First we went to WoW, then on to AoC, and currently we're playing Warhammer. However, there a quite a few of our veterans (including myself) who are not satisfied. We're all Star Wars fans, and it seems like every MMO we play only fills half of the spectrum. WoW was fun for raiding, but it didn't offer much pvp. AoC had a very interesting and fun combat system, but the game lost so much population that there was no one to pvp against. Warhammer has a great idea in the RvR keep sieges, but the combat feels very bland and boring. SWG NGE isn't the sandbox that we remember, but it IS Star Wars.
    Obviously, we're all hardcore Star Wars fans. We have been following the TOR rumors for a year, and we're ecstatic that the game has been announced. The only problem is, it's going to be quite a long time before we get to play it! I wouldn't be surprised if this takes well over a year, if not two years to complete. Two years is a very long time for a guild to not be satisfied. We have to keep moving, and stay active.
    So this is what I'm getting at: Our old SWG veterans sparked interest in SWG now that TOR has been announced, and we're wondering if anyone else are in our shoes. Putting aside the judgment, hatred, and despise towards SOE, has TOR sparked your interest in SWG? Be honest with us, because we're hoping we aren't the only ones.
    P.S. Most of us have our toons on Bloodfin, while there are still some that are stuck on Kauri. SOE has announced a free character transfer for early next year, but that's quite some time away.
    Thanks for reading.
    www.foundation-stone.net

It should be characters not one character, and they should be doing it now while people are talking about Star Wars  mmo.  They need to be bending over backward to get sub numbers up, and anything less than an earnest attempt merely exemplifies the lack of commitment to SWG.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125

Why is this thread here? We want to forget about SWG. /RIP

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

If there were any significant interest in SWG, TOR would have never been needed or even thought about.

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261
    Originally posted by Terranah

Thanks for reading.
    www.foundation-stone.net

It should be characters not one character, and they should be doing it now while people are talking about Star Wars  mmo.  They need to be bending over backward to get sub numbers up, and anything less than an earnest attempt merely exemplifies the lack of commitment to SWG.

Free transfers are per character, not per account.  So if you are an Elder Jedi and have 3 characters on Kauri, you'd be able to transfer them all for free to the same server (it won't be any server, as certain servers will be unavailable to free-transfer to).

I would imagine there will be a Vet trial of SWG coming up in the next few months before Christmas after Chapter 11 (Hoth) goes live.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

Kauri was my server home too after beta. Lots of good memories there. Even with those memories I'd have to say there isn't anything now that would get me to go back. Even a return to pre nge status. I can understand that some people don't care about being jerked around and that's perfectly ok. I just am not one of those folks. Especially when I am paying money to the entity that is jerking folks around. I fully understand that it is their (SOE) game and they have every right to do with it as they please. I on the other hand have every right to discontinue playing their game and there is no stipulation in existence in which I'm obligated to give them another chance. It's simple: they made their decision and I have made mine. Now, I don't actively campaign like some against their product but if I am asked my opinion of SWG or SOE I do give my opinion which is that I will never buy another Sony game or product (DvD player, tv, etc) again.

So, to answer the original question blatantly: no. Not in the least. I'd dare say I'm not even 5% sold on this game (SW:TOR) at the moment. I LOVE Bioware games, mind you. I just, at this moment, don't see how the gameplay from what has been released will be that much different from the recent offerings by other companies. More quest dialogue to read and an NPC sidekick, while nice, don't make me think "heck yeah, I can't wait to try that!". Now, if they were doing their own takes on AoC's combat system, WAR's PQs and Tome and a crafting systems with the depth and complexity of pre nge SWG in addition to their Story elements they are pushing, then you could most likely mark me down for a box sale and at least 30 days of play.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• Batak_KillerBatak_Killer Member UncommonPosts: 393

It sparks interest for the old swg... Not for this new crap. I'll always be interested in swg pre-cu

• Lady_FeiLady_Fei Member Posts: 17

The only interest sparked here for me, is to see what things are being said about it.

I have no intention of ever buying another Star Wars game, and certainly not going to play SWG again until there is a version pre-NGE. It will happen eventually.

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

I'm looking forward a Pre-CU server without unlockable Jedi nor grind fest.

I hope some day the open source project it will be finished so I can put my hands on it and tweak it.

I would even play & play an SOE Pre-CU server provided they put a team on it to fix it.

I would also play NGE provided they add Z axis, collision detection, lot of sight and possibility to actually miss a target. Well a real FPS engine!

I shall be back for the free transfer. I hope they'll be smart and offer the players to move to Bloodfin, Bria and brand new empty servers.

It's official. Foundation Stone will be making an appearance in SWG once again. Most of our members have alts on Bloodfin, while their mains still reside on Kauri. In 2 months SOE will be offering a free server transfer that includes all items, credits, resources, crates, and everything. Most small servers have agreed that Bloodfin and Bria are the two main servers to populate, and it's an organized effort to try and make pvp what it was 3 years ago. So for 2 months, we'll be rebuilding and learning the mysterious world of NGE. To anyone who is thinking about playing, whether you're on Bloodfin or not, stop by www.foundation-stone.net and chat with us. I hope to see you soon.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

It might initially but once the game comes out, SWG will probably have a hard time.

Oh, we've already discussed that. We're just looking for a game to hold us down until SWTOR is released. There isn't anything that interests us right now, so we decided to go back to what made us the guild we are today.

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

It's official. Foundation Stone will be making an appearance in SWG once again. Most of our members have alts on Bloodfin, while their mains still reside on Kauri. In 2 months SOE will be offering a free server transfer that includes all items, credits, resources, crates, and everything. Most small servers have agreed that Bloodfin and Bria are the two main servers to populate, and it's an organized effort to try and make pvp what it was 3 years ago. So for 2 months, we'll be rebuilding and learning the mysterious world of NGE. To anyone who is thinking about playing, whether you're on Bloodfin or not, stop by www.foundation-stone.net and chat with us. I hope to see you soon.

Just keep in mind that there's no guarantee that you'll be able to free-transfer to Bloodfin.  It's expected that the current top populated servers won't be part of the event, which would rule out Bria, Bloodfin, Starsider, Chilastra and maybe one or two others.

• KailashKailash Member UncommonPosts: 301

Oh, we've already discussed that. We're just looking for a game to hold us down until SWTOR is released. There isn't anything that interests us right now, so we decided to go back to what made us the guild we are today.

hey bro you guys seem real kool and i mean this with the highiest respect cause ima vet of SWG but dont give a god damn cent to SOE plz. They fucked your game up and now your gonna give em more money. dont bother man. IMHO look into fallen earth seriously dude you want the good old SWG back look into FE.

It has Pre cu written ALL OVER it hehe.. Hope to see you guys in it :)

• CriperCriper Member Posts: 13

Nope, no spark here. SWG is as cold as ever...