Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

More Star Wars Galaxies content planned, will run alongside TOR “indefinitely”

LucasArts senior online exec Tom Nichols has confirmed that the firm’s current plan is to run Star War Galaxies alongside The Old Republic for an indefinite period, and that more content is on the way for the current MMO.

“That’s the plan right now,” Nichols told VG247.com when asked specifically if the two would run together indefinitely.

“I think the market will definitely support that.”

Nichols, speaking at this week’s San Francisco launch of BioWare’s The Old Republic, said LucasArts has actively bolstered Galaxies with extra products this year, and that in-game content is in production.

“We’re still committed to Star Wars Galaxies,” he said. “A couple of things: a demonstration of that commitment includes a recent trading card game that we launched in August. It’s doing very well for us and we have a new expansion pack being planned for that.

“Shortly we’re going to release a new Hoth encounter that recreates that classic battle in the Empire Strikes Back, and that’s exciting content for our Galaxies community, so we’re definitely committed to the product.”

The two games will co-exist thanks to their different natures, said the exec.

“I think they’re fundamentally different games. The Old Republic is very focussed on story and has a totally different time-line from Galaxies.

“Galaxies is very much focused on your career and your profession and other different MMO game mechanics as well, and community: that’s game’s been around for five years, so there’s a very strong community feel to it.”

No date for The Old Republic as yet.

get your 7 day FREE sub to SWTOR
http://www.swtor.com/r/7DDKjQ

Comments

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448

This will probably be just like the "Squad Leader revamp" that was coming. Or the new FRS that was on the way. Or maybe all the new Creature handler equipment for that soon to be deleted creature handler.

Frankly, they could  and I do stress COULD be actually telling somewhat of a truth in that they want to run both games. But lets be honest here, SWG barely has a leg to stand on as it is customerwise, and many people play because "its the only Star Wars mmo". Well when the only thing that SWG has going for it disappears, I see the remaining players disappearing with it.

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

I wonder how long is indefinitely ?  I think you can measure indefinitely by the number of sub's you have if im not mistaken.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• BodeusBodeus Member Posts: 516

Its at LEAST another good 2 yrs before we see SW:TOR, right? I doubt SWG will even be around then

• kanzykanzy Member Posts: 8

They're just trying to keep people in SWG for as long as they can, as for running along side TOR well it will be just like EQ running along side EQ2.

Didi it?

• ThunderousThunderous Member Posts: 1,152

They have to say this.  They can't come out and say "SWG will be shut down as soon as TOR launches..." obviously it make a lot of people reconsider paying to play the game.

I just don't see Bioware dealing with an IP that has to share the market with another competing game and I don't see LucasFilm wanting a game like SWG tarnishing their new MMO and the market.

There is no reason to cancel SWG right now.  They had to make this statement.  I have no doubt it will be shut down before TOR releases.  It makes good business sense.

Tecmo Bowl.

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261
    Originally posted by Thunderous

They have to say this.  They can't come out and say "SWG will be shut down as soon as TOR launches..." obviously it make a lot of people reconsider paying to play the game.
    I just don't see Bioware dealing with an IP that has to share the market with another competing game and I don't see LucasFilm wanting a game like SWG tarnishing their new MMO and the market.
    There is no reason to cancel SWG right now.  They had to make this statement.  I have no doubt it will be shut down before TOR releases.  It makes good business sense.

If you can't trust LA to tell the truth about this, how can you then trust them enough to play a new game they're making?

Also, the Star Wars IP is shared amoungst multiple game companies currently.  Another game sharing the IP probably isn't going to be much of an issue.

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Personally, i don't see SWG lasting long after TORs release.

However, if there was ever a time when you could hope for some sort of development on SWG, now is when it will start. SOE has to pull out the stops and put  a full crew back on SWG with regular content and bug fixes if they want ANY chance at competing.

Put it like this: If you can still shoot through walls, run like a retarded monkey on speed, etc. in a year from now, there is no hope at all for SWG when TOR hits.

• PreCUPreCU Member Posts: 382

Originally posted by Obraik
    Originally posted by Thunderous They have to say this.  They can't come out and say "SWG will be shut down as soon as TOR launches..." obviously it make a lot of people reconsider paying to play the game.

If you can't trust LA to tell the truth about this, how can you then trust them enough to play a new game they're making?
    Also, the Star Wars IP is shared amoungst multiple game companies currently.  Another game sharing the IP probably isn't going to be much of an issue.

they aren't technically lying. If the swg population stays strong (relatively speaking) then they will coexist. But from a probability stand point I think they know this is very unlikely. It's not like they're planning content that will launch when swtor is live. The novelty of hoth will sour way before swtor is available on the shelves.

so from a certain point of view they are lying (assuming I'm right).

it's not the fact that Bioware and SOE are both gaming companies, it's that their products will be in direct competition. Even though swtor may have many differences, it will still directly compete against swg.

• John.A.ZoidJohn.A.Zoid Member Posts: 1,531

Is this the big Friday SWG announcement? Is fo ghey.......

• TrashcantoyTrashcantoy Member Posts: 827

lol, now where is that guy who made multiple predictions of when SWG would be dead? lol... i dont give a rats ass about this game... but this is just a kick in the nuts of the pre-NGE vets :p imho this game is only alive cause of the station pass

MMOs currently playing: -
    About to play: Lord of the Rings Online
    Played: Anarchy Online (alltime favorite) and lots of f2p titles (honorable mentions: 9Dragons, Martial Heroes, Dekaron, Atlantica Online)

• EtheomEtheom Member UncommonPosts: 64

To be honest, I'm bored with every MMO right now. I gave Warhammer a try with my guild, and I'm just not feeling it at all. It sucks :( I miss SWG!

• efefiaefefia Member Posts: 631

I haven't seen LA state anywhere that the 2 games will run concurrently, they've merely stated that development in SWG is ongoing, alongside development of SWTOR. They've also only commented on chapters and instances (Hoth) that have been announced and in the works for literally months.

Not saying the games won't run side by side after SWTOR launchers, LA certainly haven't stated as such outright though.

...The spread of secondary and latterly of tertiary education has created a large population of people, often with well developed literary and scholarly tastes, who have been educated far beyond their capacity to undertake analytical thought.

• AirwrenAirwren Member UncommonPosts: 648

I may be wrong about this but is it possible that LA cannot say that they are pulling the IP from SOE because of contractual obligations? 

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,831

I think Lucas Arts is lying due to SOE's silence.