Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No new expansions?

So, I heard a rumor in game that WOTLK will be the last expansion.

Buut, so far, I don't really believe it. All the info I find points to that they are still going to make a few expansions after WOTLK.

Can anyone give information on this?

Groovy.

Comments

• Zayne3145Zayne3145 Member Posts: 1,448

Of course there will be more - as long as WoW remains a cash cow Blizzard will keep churning them out. The majority of their new developments are funded off the back of WoW profits.

There are already rumours as to what the next expansion might be. I personally think it'll be the Emerald Dream.

• theratmonkeytheratmonkey Member Posts: 684

Emerald dream or Maelstrom would be cool.

Groovy.

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582

Wrath is going to sell probably 5M copies in a month.  WOW continues to have over 5M subscribers in NA/EU....

Why in the world would they stop now?

• Pappy13Pappy13 Member Posts: 2,138
    Originally posted by theratmonkey

I highlighted the importart part of your statement.  It's a rumor.

Now that doesn't mean I think there will be another expansion.  There may not be.  But even if there's no more expansions, they're most definately not going to quit patching the game while they have 11 million paying subscribers.

• HendoraHendora Member Posts: 34

Blizzard i currently working on 4 games apart from the WotLK.

World of Warcraft expansion (the one after WotLK), Diablo 3, Starcraft 2 and a new MMO that they haven't said a word about yet.

So yes, there will be atleast one more expansion and likley more as long as the game sells.

• RuthgarRuthgar Member Posts: 730

There will be another expansion. I wished I had a link to a story where they talk about their future plans for WoW.

They will keep pumping out expansions every 18 months - 2 years until their subscriber base is below a million.

• TarokoTaroko Member UncommonPosts: 84

Blizzard has two more after WotLK from what I have heard from many people. I would think after some point by that time they would start working on WoW 2 or something. But the devs at Blizzard said they haven't even thought about working on WoW-2 so that could be a very long time...

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880

heh when they run outta lore which they only touched on about 1/3 of it they will probably make WC4 then use that story in another WoW expac

• naraku209naraku209 Member Posts: 226
    Originally posted by Azrile

Wrath is going to sell probably 5M copies in a month.  WOW continues to have over 5M subscribers in NA/EU....
    Why in the world would they stop now?

Most likly more than that, in a week.

• pain2scarspain2scars Member Posts: 39
    Originally posted by Hendora

World of Warcraft expansion (the one after WotLK), Diablo 3, Starcraft 2 and a new MMO that they haven't said a word about yet.

So yes, there will be atleast one more expansion and likley more as long as the game sells.

And with that being said...

...google "World of Starcraft" (Starcraft MMO)

Again, just one more rumor to add to the already existing rumors.

I figured as much.

I looked all over for this supposed article saying that there will be no more expansions, and I couldn't find it.

Posting here just put the last nail in that coffin.

Groovy.

<deleted>

Originally posted by pain2scars

The thing i wrote is not a rumor. A guy from Blizzcon said it in an interview. It's just not official yet.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Probably rumors are that this will be the last expansion in a while...........not the last one.

After all with all the games they have in development at the moment probably they won't have enough resourcers for another expansion next year.

PS: not a direct reply to Hendora, just quoted because he lists the games

• XenuneXenune Member Posts: 47

Maelstrom seems logical to the next expansion after seeing chain quests in beta about Queen Azshara from the noble naga that roam around northrend at the Borean Tundra area. I am not a heavy lore person but where is this Twisting Nether? a planet or some other galaxy?

MMO Reporter

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

Buut, so far, I don't really believe it. All the info I find points to that they are still going to make a few expansions after WOTLK.

Why is it that whenever I see the "I heard a rumor..." posts I conjure up images of some guys talking on Team Speak or in Guild Chat and some guy has put together some illogical argument based on what he thinks should happen and it then starts appearing anywhere.

Short of a "I was speaking to a guy from x company and it seemed that he was hinting at..." conversation I think it's safe to say that such rumors are nothing but the above.

Let's look at it this way. WoW is probably the most financially successful game to date. They have the possibility to sell millions of copies for expansions. Blizzard is also owned by a publicly traded company.

Short of the scare that they wouldn't sell any expansion copies, there is no real reason they wouldn't create expansions.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • pain2scarspain2scars Member Posts: 39

The thing i wrote is not a rumor. A guy from Blizzcon said it in an interview. It's just not official yet.

I was refering to the part that is highlighted in red. You said and I quote "a new MMO that they haven't said a word about yet." Please read my reply again if you need to. I was just using your comment to refer to the rumor I have seen and heard about in reference to the new MMO. That is all.

Originally posted by Sovrath

Why is it that whenever I see the "I heard a rumor..." posts I conjure up images of some guys talking on Team Speak or in Guild Chat and some guy has put together some illogical argument based on what he thinks should happen and it then starts appearing anywhere.

Short of a "I was speaking to a guy from x company and it seemed that he was hinting at..." conversation I think it's safe to say that such rumors are nothing but the above.

Let's look at it this way. WoW is probably the most financially successful game to date. They have the possibility to sell millions of copies for expansions. Blizzard is also owned by a publicly traded company.

Short of the scare that they wouldn't sell any expansion copies, there is no real reason they wouldn't create expansions.

Because that's how most rumors start/spread, maybe? (By people talking and gossiping, I mean.)

"I heard a rumor" is basically saying "this guy in my guild said" or "some people on Vent said" without having to give specifics on where you heard it from.

Groovy.

I was refering to the part that is highlighted in red. You said and I quote "a new MMO that they haven't said a word about yet." Please read my reply again if you need to. I was just using your comment to refer to the rumor I have seen and heard about in reference to the new MMO. That is all.

Sorry, my bad.