Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Updated Vanguard impressions?

I, for one, subscribe to the Brad McQuaid brand of MMO. Has anyone played the trial island, and has Vanguard made any improvements since it's launch? I was so dissapointed with the launch, I haven't played since.

I was praying for a sEQuel, and I hope they're trying to deliver that.

"Woah....Wait......Dude, am I driving right now?"

Comments

• finnmacool1finnmacool1 Member Posts: 453

Performance and bug wise it has made major progress since launch. I never found it anything like eq1 including the free month i just wrapped up from sept. to oct. of this year. It's a pretty decent game at this point, I just dont think its going anywhere.

• VisceralVisceral Member Posts: 16

The trial is only 2 1/2 gigs or so. Try it out and see for yourself. IMHO, it's a great PvE game.

• boojiboyboojiboy Member UncommonPosts: 1,553
    Originally posted by Craz_z

I, for one, subscribe to the Brad McQuaid brand of MMO. Has anyone played the trial island, and has Vanguard made any improvements since it's launch? I was so dissapointed with the launch, I haven't played since.
    I was praying for a sEQuel, and I hope they're trying to deliver that.

It's a night and day imrovement over Beta.  Isle of Dawn is fantastic... a lot of current players have rolled new toons so they can play through the content.  The only draw-back to IoD is it's very crowded still and with 200 folks running around in close proximity performance can take a hit.  Ironically, folks will see better performance once they leave IoD and hit the mainlands.

• RavanosRavanos Member Posts: 897

after playing the IoD for a day i can tell you the game is night and day from beta, it runs very smooth even with a lot of people around. its a very complicated MMO from what i have experienced, needing clothes and items for every sphere (combat, crafting and diplomacy) but i think thats the reason I am likeing it.

It seems very indepth and the graphics on some things are very nice (while other graphics are only decent).

I hope grouping is plentiful as i don't play MMO for the solo experience. either that or I am hoping to convince my wife who i duo with a ton in EQ2 to play VG with me.

• gurugeorgegurugeorge Member UncommonPosts: 481

I first tried VG about 4 months after launch.  No go, crap on my comp, looked awful, played jerky, loads of glitches and bugs.  And yet ... I could tell there was potential there, the general "feel" of the game in terms of immersion really was what I was looking for - the feeling of a whole world to adventure in.

Then I tried it again, a few months ago on a newer comp, and it was much better, much more playable and I started getting into the gameplay quite a bit, but had to unsub for a bit.

Just recently, on my newbuilt beast of a comp, I have to say that with graphics on full, it's really starting to shine.  Apart from a bit of rubberbanding (of your teammates) and a few little bits and pieces here and there of rushed design (e.g. some poor animation melding), the vast bulk of the game is pretty smooth and immersive; the gameplay rich and involving.

And it just has that "single world" feel.  I don't mind instanced games at all (played CoX for a few years and love it to bits), but it has to be said there's something psychologically special and extra immersive about wandering around in a seamless world.  For "explorer" types the game's a dream.  "Achiever" types have 3 spheres to advance in, and the community is very nice for the "social" player.  The "player killer" isn't so well catered to (Sartok is the only dedicated PvP server and most seem to say the devs haven't payed much attention to PvP), but as a PvE game of a certain type, it's hard to beat.