Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm pretty fed up with MMO's lately....

They all cost money, and they all provide nothing more than an outlet to waste your life and ignore what's really important.  Family, friends, work.  This needs to stop, help me boycott MMO companies by not playing these games anymore.

I just cancelled my subscriptions to the following:

AC1 (4 accts)

DAoC (2 accts)

EQ (3 accts)

WAR (2 accts)

WoW (8 accts)

Lend me your support, post what games you canceled so we can get a proper view of where to take this revolution!!!!

Comments

• kb4blukb4blu Member UncommonPosts: 717

Let me see.  I am 63 and all of the people on my side of the family are dead.

I have no friends.

I will be retiring soon so work no longer matters.

I guess then it will be ok with you if I play MMO's ??

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

Don't know about you but I have never neglected any of the expamples you've given and I play MMOs.  I go to work, work 8+ hours doing fairly physical stuff and I get home all tired, do you really think I want to go to a bar or hit the soccer field?

There are some days where I don't do much work wise and I can actually go out and do stuff and on those days and weekends other things take presidence over mmos.  I think it's all about time management.  By the looks of it you just canceled 19 accounts!  No wonder you think it's a waste of time because that's all you've been doing....

8 WoW accounts?  WTF?!

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Originally posted by Arcilite_I

They all cost money, and they all provide nothing more than an outlet to waste your life and ignore what's really important.  Family, friends, work.  This needs to stop, help me boycott MMO companies by not playing these games anymore.

AC1 (4 accts)
    DAoC (2 accts)
    EQ (3 accts)
    WAR (2 accts)
    WoW (8 accts)
    Lend me your support, post what games you canceled so we can get a proper view of where to take this revolution!!!!

Uh... with all due respect, the issue is not with mmo's, it's with you.

If you are neglecting important things in your life then you of course should cancel your 1 WoW account... oh wait...

You had 8

Do you see where the disconnect is?

Stop having multiple account for a game. Play one character and limit your hours.

I'm sorry but it seems that you might have an addictive personality and that is what is getting you in trouble.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Just pick one you like and play it instead of watching TV when you have some down time....TV blows.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• PonicoPonico Member UncommonPosts: 650

So you're wasting 350$ per month for MMOs. The problem does not lie with the games but really with you. How can you actually play all these games and have all these accounts with a job that surely pays you enough for 350$ worth of mmos per month?

A game is suppose to be a casual entertainement, not a life dictator.

• Arcilite_IArcilite_I Member Posts: 36

I multi-boxed those accts, so I played all 8 at once.  Same with the other games/accts.

I multi-boxed those accts, so I played all 8 at once.  Same with the other games/accts.

I have no doubt you did. But again, if you are multiboxign to this extent chances are you are not logging in for an hour or so but are putting in real effort.

I have no problem with this. what I do have a problem with is you spending a lot of money and time on a game where you find that your life is getting out of hand.

Just don't play as much. Or don't multi box because chances are you are able to spend immense amounts of time soloing if you do this.

Just pull back and you will be ok.

Multi boxing 8 accounts is not normal or average. It's a bit excessive. Oh sure, people have done more but usually it's one additional account or maybe two more.

So again, not the game, just your personality. Take a break for a while and throw yourself into your job or life or a new hobby and you might feel better.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• ArawonArawon Member Posts: 1,108

OP...seriously..it's time to step away for a bit. You may well find many more refreshing things in your life.

I don't have a problem, lol....it's just a hobby.  You guys sound like my family.

• DecadentiaDecadentia Member Posts: 464

I don't have a problem, lol....it's just a hobby.  You guys sound like my family.

You mean the people who should know you best? I would say 8 accounts shows a slight addiction issue. It goes beyond hobby.

• einexileeinexile Member UncommonPosts: 197

Canceling them all isn't likely to work in your case. You should get some professional help and maybe some peer support. In the meantime, blaming the games and developers for your problem is going to be destructive to any sense of personal responsibility or accountability or remorse which may be bubbling up in you, and which will probably be your way out from under this.

Take out your video card and leave it at a friend's house. Keep hanging out on your Vent channels or guild forums etc. or else missing the people you play with may lure you back to the games. If you live alone, go out. Even sitting in a cafe or bar alone reading a book for a few hours will have a profound effect on your morale.

Chill on IRC. Shit up an imageboard. Write a lousy novel. Whatever you do, get some help. Good luck.

einexile the meek
    Vacuos, Winterlong, Vaciante, Eicosapenta
    Atlantean, Tyranny, Malton

• AngelboundAngelbound Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,437

Look mmorpgs are not a bad thing there not evil and there certainly not unhealthy unless the parents do not manage there children playing it in unhealthy forms, or the adult has no self control. Anyone can play a mmorpg casually or more without forgetting about life and whats important, single player games can be just as addicting yes online is better for some but there are people who prefer single player over others thats partly the reason why so many mmorpgs now days are solo friendly.

If gaming didnt exist then it would be something else like tv and so on it is the people not the games, I do understand your feelings I was addicted to everquest 1 for a long time and I finally threw it away and eventually moved on to eq2 and had alot more control, your first mmorpg can take up your life if your not careful thats why you need to be prepared.

Anyways stop making these posts there pointless some people need those games some people have a better chance of making friends online and you should consider that, there are casual multiplayer games as well you know.

• AngelboundAngelbound Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,437

I also agree with this, reading did help me quite a bit but deffinatly continue it, find someone to talk to about it to help you realize that its not a need and its only in your mind.

uh...

They all cost money, and they all provide nothing more than an outlet to waste your life and ignore what's really important. Family, friends, work. This needs to stop, help me boycott MMO companies by not playing these games anymore.

AC1 (4 accts)

DAoC (2 accts)

EQ (3 accts)

WAR (2 accts)

WoW (8 accts)

Listen, I don't judge people for what they do or how they spend their money. If you doubt see where I say that I felt the guy who had 36 WoW accounts had a right to spend his money on them as long as they didn't affect his life.

But you just came here and said that mmo's all provide nothing more than an outlet to waste your life and ignore what's really important. Family, friends, work.

So I think it's safe to say given the list you just put up and the number of accounts you just cancelled coupled with that statement that you had a problem.

Now, if you were to say that you were doing all the things you wanted to in life and you had those accounts then I would see no issue.

But it obviously seems that there is more going on here. I mean, you just said it. So if you don't feel you have any problem then there is no discussion here. But my guess is that you did feel that there was an issue here. Nothing wrong with that.

• nellsonnellson Member Posts: 81

Sad,introverted little man is sad.....

• talismen351talismen351 Member Posts: 1,124

Pehaps the OP why many of us should boycott MMOs because he has a slight addiction problem? As for me and I am sure many others here, have one or two accounts to different games, why should I boycott? I have a wife, 5 kids, friends,and own my own business. So how is your addiction MY problem?

I have no sympathy for ppl who have such addictions. If you choose a game over what really matters in life, well that is your own problem not mine. I do congradulate you on seeming realizing how you have finally realized you have a problem and cancelled your accounts. However I don't feel you need to come to MMORPGs forums n say we all have a problem n should boycott MMOs.

• galad2003galad2003 Member Posts: 167

This guy is just trolling or this is a subconscious cry for attention/help.....

Well, I thought about what you guys said and you're right.  I do have a problem, I love gaming.  I resubbed 2 of my WoW accts, and a DAoC account for Tuesdays.  Maybe that will free up some time for other things.  I'll keep you updated.

• VioletteViolette Member UncommonPosts: 119

I agree with the OP.

I've completely turned my back on MMOs. Uninstalled them all - ATITD (paid), AO (paid), Second Life, stopped paying for stupid Runescape.

Except for ATITD4 free beta, I'm not planning to play any more MMOs.

I want games that are intelligent, truly immersive, and free.

I've found them in MUDs and I'm not going back. I think most MMOs are a joke and an insult to intelligence.

Take care.

• Omega3Omega3 Member Posts: 398
    Originally posted by talismen351

Pehaps the OP why many of us should boycott MMOs because he has a slight addiction problem? As for me and I am sure many others here, have one or two accounts to different games, why should I boycott? I have a wife, 5 kids, friends,and own my own business. So how is your addiction MY problem?
    I have no sympathy for ppl who have such addictions. If you choose a game over what really matters in life, well that is your own problem not mine. I do congradulate you on seeming realizing how you have finally realized you have a problem and cancelled your accounts. However I don't feel you need to come to MMORPGs forums n say we all have a problem n should boycott MMOs.

I loath people like you who tries to convince perfect strangers on the internet that they have a "life" and they got total control on their MMO hobby.

Everytime you try to make that point on the internet, you make yourself appear even more a liar.

I could say i play MMOs and Jessica Alba is my girlfriend. How would you proove me wrong?

My addiction History:
    >> EQ1 2000-2004 - Shaman/Bard/Wizard/Monk - nolife raid-whore
    >> WoW 2004-2009 + Cataclysm for 2 months - hardcore casual
    >> Current status : done with MMO, too old for that crap.

• EvasiaEvasia Member Posts: 2,827

AC1 (4 accts)
    DAoC (2 accts)
    EQ (3 accts)
    WAR (2 accts)
    WoW (8 accts)

Nobody stopping you go to your family and enjoy it, and leave us alone.

Dont be some evil crusader who think his view must be forced upon others

Games played:AC1-Darktide'99-2000-AC2-Darktide/dawnsong2003-2005,Lineage2-2005-2006 and now Darkfall-2009.....
    In between WoW few months AoC few months and some f2p also all very short few weeks.

• EvasiaEvasia Member Posts: 2,827
    Originally posted by Omega3

Originally posted by talismen351

I loath people like you who tries to convince perfect strangers on the internet that they have a "life" and they got total control on their MMO hobby.

Everytime you try to make that point on the internet, you make yourself appear even more a liar.

I could say i play MMOs and Jessica Alba is my girlfriend. How would you proove me wrong?

You completely miss understood talismen his point, his reply was 100% right your's not.

Games played:AC1-Darktide'99-2000-AC2-Darktide/dawnsong2003-2005,Lineage2-2005-2006 and now Darkfall-2009.....
    In between WoW few months AoC few months and some f2p also all very short few weeks.

• CronqCronq Member Posts: 27

If I played 19 accounts per month I would be pretty damn fed up too.

Good Lord OP, have you ever heard of moderation?

Originally posted by Cronq

If I played 19 accounts per month I would be pretty damn fed up too.

Good Lord OP, have you ever heard of moderation?

Of course I've heard of moderation, they're always banning me from forums...

• NiblixNiblix Member Posts: 160

Here I was thinking I was addicted to gaming by spending 1-2 hours a day on my games . Gaming would be the last thing i'd be doing if I had that much disposable income

Be paid for Beta Testing, don't pay to Beta Test.