Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What I think of Archlord

SatanSatan Member Posts: 1

So I was looking for a MMO to fill some time until AoC or WAR came out, had a quick browse and this looked like the best option as I was a bit strapped for cash at the time so I wanted a F2P.

The graphics are alright, nothing special although I do like how the armour is done but that seems to be the only good thing about it. I was disapointed straight away when creating a character, the reason for that being that there is no gender option, I usually play a spellcaster but I didn't want to play a female character so I had to play a knight, well I could of played a ranger as that was the other male option for the humans. Customization is poor, you have a few sets of hair and faces to choose from but more can be unlocked as you progress through the levels. GM support is terrible, on multiple occasions gold sellers have been spamming shout for 24hrs straight and not a GM in sight, I have support tickets well over 2 weeks old with no responce, not even to say they are looking in to it other than the automated e-mail responce.

As for the gameplay its not to bad in the lower levels as most of the grind is covered by quests but that is short lived, as you hit the 20's it starts to get a bit steeper but if you can afford to enter the dungeons this is pretty quick as well, then you hit the 30's and it becomes your classic korean grind game, sit there for hours bashing away at the same thing to get one level. Those hours are made even more tedious when you find yourself trecking back to the hunting area because you've been PK'd for the 8th time in the past hour. To be honest with you the community are complete a**holes, of course that doesnt go for all of them as there are a few nice players actually on the game but they're in the minority. The PK'ing isnt so bad outside of the dungeons areas but inside them (talking i particular about Forgotten Mine) you will be lucky to get 10% of your level before some idiot comes through and kills you. The PK doesnt kick in until you reach level 30 and up until that point I was enjoying the game, and I probably would still be if the community had a bit more maturity. Many times i've confronted a level 50 player running though a level 30 area killing everyone and you get the responce "stfu noob go level".

One final issue I have with the game is the lag, it really is something, when theres a battle of more than 10 players, talking about the siege events on weekends in particular the game stops working in realtime and becomes a turn based MMO. On average I find myself waiting between 1-2 minutes to recieve updated information regarding my characters position, ok fair enough it has the potential to be a nice event for the players but why bother with it if the lag is so incredible. Actually now I think about it there is one more thing, the korean version of this game is on Episode 5, however the western world version is only episode 2, largely because the developers refuse to give codemasters the next episode with any haste and I dont really see this chainging.

I suppose you get what you pay for, in this case I paid nothing and got minimal enjoyment in return. Playing Archlord has pretty much made my decision final, I'm sticking to P2P MMO's. It seems that when you dont have to pay the flood gates open to all pubescent teens who like to act hard over the internet, no offence to all young teens of course I know there are many respectable players in that age range but its just the minority that ruin the game for me.

Anyway Rant/Review over.

Comments

• KatzuAionKatzuAion Member Posts: 81

Couldn't agree more with u Satan, F2P games like Archlord open their doors to all kinda of players.. well 50% of the peeps that come aboard F2P games are normally a bunch of brainfreezers, who normally refuse to speak english, make their own very closed community and well... they don't play it like a MMORPG should be played.

I'm trying Archlord, (playing wow @ the same time), and as much as it was difficult to adapt to the simple point and click system (which is buggy as hell), the random system crashes, and above all, what's the meaning of having a party in Archlord? i mean, besides the auto loot feature, i found no use whatsoever to form a party, rather than loosing xp -.- .

So as u said, F2P games like Archlord are a big no no im my book (admit it, u only play this game cause its free, cause if u gotta pay, there far better choices out there)... oh boy. i cant wait for Aion :P!

• ToxiliumToxilium Member UncommonPosts: 905

F2P games are usually low-budget grindfests which sole purpose is to make money off the noobs willing to buy the items off their websites. F2P usually involve the same generic asian-themed or lord of the rings setting and just kill-kill-kill until a boring endgame of dueling and wondering why you play the game.

However, P2P the developers want money, so they want a quality game under their belt. They put time, effort and thought into their games to try and make them stand out from the WoW clone crowd. I personally don't like paying 15 a month, but I know my money is going towards quality, and a fun experience that will hopefully last me years.

• XeroKnightXeroKnight Member UncommonPosts: 93

I totally agree with you. I used to play this game all the time back when you had to buy the box first before you could play it. It had some flaws, but I could deal with them since it was a few months after it had came out and I knew they would be fixed soon. I also found the game to have a great helpful community, but I knew that would change when it became free. The day the game became free, I quit, and haven't played since, because I knew it would be horrible to play. First of all, the servers could barely run normally while a few hundred players were on it, so why would they run any better when the game would be flooded with people. Second of all, free games always end up getting overrun with immature kids and foreign people that do even speak English.

• reddoreddo Member Posts: 115

I'm irritated by the number of times I've been asked "br?" by the same player in the same hour. The community imploded on itself once Archlord became F2P, and the amount of immature players is like a bitchslap in the face. As for lag, I don't get much because I've got a good internet connection, so I won't address that much. The grind itself ticked me off a little, but since I compare everything to Priston Tale's grindfest, I may have let it slide. Yet they made the PC's dependent on potions. I can't stand having to get more potions just to use them up quickly. If potions were alcoholic in that game, then I'd doubt I would be sober ever again.

• BadKittieBadKittie Member Posts: 30

I tried this game before they tried going p2p and to be honest, it disgusted me.  I don't have any motivation to ever come back to Archlord since it's become one giant ganking war.

I'll stick to playing Perfect World and soon play Aion.

• blind_rageblind_rage Member Posts: 1

I downloaded the game and i played for like 30 min lol i dont like the game it got boring lol

• HamrtimeHamrtime Member Posts: 200

I actually won this game along with a bunch of credits and a cool framed picture of a dragon from this site. I played it for a total of about 2 hours and deleted it. One of the most poorly done mmo's Ive ever seen. I almost bought it for $50 when it first came out because a bunch of guildmates were playin it. If I would have payed money for this pos I would have been pissed.

• HardcorebassHardcorebass Member Posts: 101

Archlord is indeed a good game, when you look at the other F2P's. A nice and a big world, nice graphics, good gameplay, races and classes...

I played it for a while and I can say that this game is really good for ppl who just start with MMORPGS.

The only thing that i don't like about Archlord is: the tiny amount of skills in the game. I think many ppl will gree with this, as the offer isn't that huge.

My quotation: 7/10

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by Hardcorebass

Archlord is indeed a good game, when you look at the other F2P's. A nice and a big world, nice graphics, good gameplay, races and classes...
    I played it for a while and I can say that this game is really good for ppl who just start with MMORPGS.
    The only thing that i don't like about Archlord is: the tiny amount of skills in the game. I think many ppl will gree with this, as the offer isn't that huge.
    My quotation: 7/10

I agree... you have to look at it in relation to other f2p games. It is defintiely up there in that regard.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • gamerman98gamerman98 Member UncommonPosts: 807

im currently playing this as well as some other f2p games and its not too bad since im someone who takes my time lvling and enjoys the grind a bit..and i love the quests since in my mind they arent as repetitive as some other games i have played.

• crunchyblackcrunchyblack Member Posts: 1,362

do they still offer no choice on character sex?

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by crunchyblack

do they still offer no choice on character sex?

No, but there is a story reason for this it seems.

But seriously, having a female toon (or male toon if you are a woman) doesn't mean anything other than it being an avatar.

I mean, i'ts like playing the tomb raider games. you are controlling "Lara Croft". Same here.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Devastati0nDevastati0n Member Posts: 93

I played ArchLord for two years, yes I love the grind part of it sure it is a pain in the ass, but it shows you put time in the game and that doesn't depend on games like WOW who can spend the most money on buying gold.  80 percent of the people who play ArchLord grind just for the PVP most people do not understand this game they compare it to WOW where you hardly have to grind.  Sure, people can diss the item mall, but if ArchLord had the same population as WOW I guarentee the item mall would make 3 X more than a monthly subscription.  Oh no one cares about this game because it is free to play no support at all!  There is a 24.7 open channel ticket support where you get a response with in 10 minutes even a phone number.  Not the mention episode 3 is coming this month so the game is constantly expanding over 30 percent more stuff with one patch.  I am sure almost everyone here knows that ArchLord use to be $50 a key and needed a monthly cost, but the item mall was a better way to triple their profite while constantly expanding the amount of players who play the game its not like you are forced to buy the items I know a lot of people who buy item mall items with in game gold. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Current classic RPG: Breath of fire II

MMORPGs Played: ArchLord, SilkRoad, World Of Warcraft, Anarchy Online, Astonia, DarkEden, Dungeon Runners, Lineage, Lineage 2, Everquest II, Fury, Guild wars, Knight Online, MapleStory, Metin, Metin 2, Rappelz, City Of heroes, City of Villains, RF Online, ROSE Online, requiem, SUN, Trickster.

Waiting for: Aion

• DristramDristram Member Posts: 1

I'm new to MMORPGs in regards to playing them and my first is ArchLord.  A friend of mine found it as something we could play together since we don't live near each other.  I've been playing for about 2 months now.

I haven't reached the 30th level mark yet (26th level Knight) but at this time, I have found the game fun to play and really enjoyed the graphics and music.  I will admit that at first the lack of character creation options was irritating and also the surprise of not initially being able to play with my friend because she created a moon elf and I created a human.  But she created a human mage and it's all been good since.  The quests were a little irritating at times because of a lot of back and forth, but they do their job of letting a noob learn how the game works and the surrounding areas of the world.  After level 20 there there haven't been enough quests for my liking  though.  About half the level in xp is gained from the quests and the rest is gained from grinding.

We checked out some other f2p games and this one by far seems to be the most high quality.  We figure because it was initially designed as a p2p game.  I never liked wow because of the cartoony graphics, though I will admit the rendering is top notch.

I'm looking forward to episode 3 of ArchLord.

• MajesticoMajestico Member UncommonPosts: 481

For what it is worth, here is my opinion.

Only just started, and I think the graphics are very good.  I'm not that bothered about the lack of customisation in the character models, and so far it seems like a good free2play, a rarity in this day and age.

However, I fear that at some point it will turn into one of those asian grinders (if it is not already), and I cannot stand them.  I figure that you have to be a kid/teenager/or someone with no life to play a grinder.

So should I continue?  I am enjoying it, but only at newbie zone.  Also, what do the episodes refer too?  Like how we are now on Episode III, what were the other two?  Is this a legitimate storyline, or just a ploy to cover up a grinder?

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001
    Originally posted by D3mis3

F2P games are usually low-budget grindfests which sole purpose is to make money off the noobs willing to buy the items off their websites. F2P usually involve the same generic asian-themed or lord of the rings setting and just kill-kill-kill until a boring endgame of dueling and wondering why you play the game.
    However, P2P the developers want money, so they want a quality game under their belt. They put time, effort and thought into their games to try and make them stand out from the WoW clone crowd. I personally don't like paying 15 a month, but I know my money is going towards quality, and a fun experience that will hopefully last me years.

this game was P2P when it first came out

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001
    Originally posted by Majestico

For what it is worth, here is my opinion.
    Only just started, and I think the graphics are very good.  I'm not that bothered about the lack of customisation in the character models, and so far it seems like a good free2play, a rarity in this day and age.
    However, I fear that at some point it will turn into one of those asian grinders (if it is not already), and I cannot stand them.  I figure that you have to be a kid/teenager/or someone with no life to play a grinder.
    So should I continue?  I am enjoying it, but only at newbie zone.  Also, what do the episodes refer too?  Like how we are now on Episode III, what were the other two?  Is this a legitimate storyline, or just a ploy to cover up a grinder?

its expansions basicly. new areas new stuff

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon