Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Few questions, looking to buy.

I've got a few questions which i haven't seen really cleared up anywhere or many people ask, well some are answered but i've forgotten. Anyways please answer if you can :D

1. Max level is 40 right?

2. Is Armor/Weapons really diverse, it looks very set like Guild Wars...

3. Destruction outnumbers order alot yes?

4.Orcs no longer grow in size every level like they once mentioned?

5. How do sieges work? People just randomly attack the Keeps? It's not instanced or anything, so a huge guild can be attacking a keep and another guild can just come behind and destroy the siege equipment?

Aswell how do you defend inside the castle/keep if you're outside when it's being attacked, like i don't think anyone is just going to sit inside the keeps waiting for a attack?

6. Alot of grinding?

7. How do names work? Single names or two words?

8.Built in voice-chat?

9. What's this whole TIER 1, 2 , 3 and 4 about? I don't understand...? Something to do with levels and castles and sieges...?

10. Very team oriented or everyone is solo?

11. Are there raids and dungeons and stuff?

12. Supposibly you can actualy takeover capital cities...?

13. I have a Radeon 4850 Toxic and 3 Gigs of ram, can i run War on high?

14. Is the game laggy/choppy?

15. Many bugs?

16. What's the difference between Open Realm VS Realm and just Realm vs Realm?

17. Supposibly they lie about server population... which one is a good high population Ream VS Realm server or Open Real vs Realm?

18. If you buy the game it comes with a free 30days right? Just like WoW and all the others? And do they have game cards?

That's pretty much it... feel free to throw in anything you feel i should need to know... thanks alot for taking you're time :D

Comments

• madmax286madmax286 Member Posts: 36

1. Yes

2. Armor an Weapons are not really diverse. There is a dye system with which  you can diversify yourself but aside from that Armor and Weapons look really identical

3. Several servers have reported this issue but it depends on the server really. Look into warhameralliance.com for information concerning the server you are interested in

4. No

5. Everyone who is interested can attack keeps. Usually what happens is people form warbands and attack a keep. It's not instanced. The defending players can walk into a keep without a problem. The attacking players though have to break down the gate to gain entrance inside the keep.

6. Not at all. You have that option though if you're interested through Tome of Knowledge quests

7. Single names

8. No

9. Maps are broken down in Tiers. For example for players that are 1-11, they are designated to PvP and PvE in Tier 1. After that they can progress in Tier 2. They can go into Tier 2 any time they like (meaning the maps are open regardless of level) but they might meet some mobs pretty stronger than them.

10. Depends on how you like to play. I soloed up to lvl 15 with no problems and did pretty much everything. But to be honest the game is much more interesting while being played in a group. Also your class becomes much more meaningfull while in a group. All in all the game is very friendly to solo players

11. There are but not in the capacity you might imagine. The game is more PvP centric than PvE centric

12. Yes

13. You wont have any issues

14. Only while fighting in keeps because of the many players present at the time. This is an issue which should be resolved

15. Not many. The game is solid. After a month I have only encountered 2 bugs in game. Once I couldnt cap a flag in a scenario and once a mob left while I was fighting it and came back full health. Aside from that I havent noticed anything major. There are reports though that classes that have pets are having problems with their pets.

16. Open RvR means you can attack a player anywhere. RvR realms means that you can only attack them in the designated RvR areas. There are more to this but I'll leave it to someone else to explain things better.

17. I have no knowledge which servers are good or not. I play on an RP server and the population is pretty balanced

18. It comes with 30 days yes. I dont know about game cards.

Hope this is helpfull

• starstar Member Posts: 1,101
    Originally posted by Glubby

I've got a few questions which i haven't seen really cleared up anywhere or many people ask, well some are answered but i've forgotten. Anyways please answer if you can :D

Max PvE (Career) level is 40, Max RvR level is 80.
    They're fairly set like. Every class has a diverse look, but through out the tiers, apart from dying, you'll look pretty much the same as other members of your class.
    Destruction does, yes, but numbers are definitely starting to even out. On both of the servers I've invested a fair amount of time on, Order is definitely starting to get MUCH better than Destruction. They're much better organized.
    No they don't :(
    5. How do sieges work? People just randomly attack the Keeps? It's not instanced or anything, so a huge guild can be attacking a keep and another guild can just come behind and destroy the siege equipment?
    Sieges are not in any shape or form instanced. Anyone can attack at anytime, but you'll need a very well coordinated group, or a large Warband to be able to claim the keep - even if it's just being defended by NPCs. If it's being defended by players, be prepared for a long, epic (imo) fight for the Keep.

Personally, I've participated in NPC only seiges that take about 15 minutes, and PC defended ones which have taken upwards of 4 hours to take. All of the seige weaponry is attack/destroy-able, and they all operate as a mini-game of their own.
    5.2 Aswell how do you defend inside the castle/keep if you're outside when it's being attacked, like i don't think anyone is just going to sit inside the keeps waiting for a attack?
    There are spots for siege weapons (Ballistas, Repeaters and Boiling Oil) in the keep, and there are areas on the wall where RDPS classes can attack the invaders from. The postern door can also be used to send out small strike teams of MDPS/Tanks to hop out, kill a few attackers, then run back into.

Keep Seiges are a TON of fun!
    6. Alot of grinding?
    No
    At creation you get one first name. At level 20, and at the cost of 4 gold, you can buy a last name.
    8.Built in voice-chat?
    No
    9. What's this whole TIER 1, 2 , 3 and 4 about? I don't understand...? Something to do with levels and castles and sieges...?
    The tiers are level ranges. T1 is 1-11, T2 12-21, T3 22-31, T4 32-40.
    The very nature of RvR dicates that organized teams will be MUCH more successful than simple PuGs. Teamwork will dictate your success/failure.
    Yes. There are currently 3 dungeons in game, and iirc they are planning on adding at least one more with the coming patch (1.1). The Dungeons are HUGE, basically full zones with their own influence rewards, quests and PQs.

Yes! This is what you strive for. City Sieges are the end game.
    My machine sports a 3650 and 2 gigs of RAM and I can play on high, with 16xAF and 2xAA while maintaining a solid 50+ FPS; you'll be fine.
    It can get bogged down in really large scale RvR. I haven't experienced many issues with this, but I know friends with lower-end machines that really suffer from this. :(
    15. Many bugs?
    No. The biggest ones are the annoyingly slow mail server and animation glitches. Absolutely nothing game breaking
    The Open RvR rule set is iffy. It allows player one tier higher to RvR in zones without çhickening'. So level 21 characters can still PvP in T1 zones. Personally, I much prefer the Core/RP ruleset, but I have friends really enjoying the Open.

The biggest issue I have with the open is that there is a TON of hidden content/lairs in lower tiers that are only completeable as a T4+ player, and you wouldn't be able to access it on the Open rule set.
    17. Supposibly they lie about server population... which one is a good high population Ream VS Realm server or Open Real vs Realm?
    I'm not sure about an ORvR server, but both of the servers I've played on (Monolith and Phoenix Throne) have healthy, thriving populations.
    18. If you buy the game it comes with a free 30days right? Just like WoW and all the others? And do they have game cards?
    Yes! :)
    That's pretty much it... feel free to throw in anything you feel i should need to know... thanks alot for taking you're time :D

I hope this helps!

• Whiskeyjack1Whiskeyjack1 Member Posts: 169
    Originally posted by star.buck

Max PvE (Career) level is 40, Max RvR level is 80.
    They're fairly set like. Every class has a diverse look, but through out the tiers, apart from dying, you'll look pretty much the same as other members of your class.
    Destruction does, yes, but numbers are definitely starting to even out. On both of the servers I've invested a fair amount of time on, Order is definitely starting to get MUCH better than Destruction. They're much better organized.
    No they don't :(
    Sieges are not in any shape or form instanced. Anyone can attack at anytime, but you'll need a very well coordinated group, or a large Warband to be able to claim the keep - even if it's just being defended by NPCs. If it's being defended by players, be prepared for a long, epic (imo) fight for the Keep.

Personally, I've participated in NPC only seiges that take about 15 minutes, and PC defended ones which have taken upwards of 4 hours to take. All of the seige weaponry is attack/destroy-able, and they all operate as a mini-game of their own.
    5.2 Aswell how do you defend inside the castle/keep if you're outside when it's being attacked, like i don't think anyone is just going to sit inside the keeps waiting for a attack?
    There are spots for siege weapons (Ballistas, Repeaters and Boiling Oil) in the keep, and there are areas on the wall where RDPS classes can attack the invaders from. The postern door can also be used to send out small strike teams of MDPS/Tanks to hop out, kill a few attackers, then run back into.

Keep Seiges are a TON of fun!
    6. Alot of grinding?
    No
    At creation you get one first name. At level 20, and at the cost of 4 gold, you can buy a last name.
    8.Built in voice-chat?
    No
    The tiers are level ranges. T1 is 1-11, T2 12-21, T3 22-31, T4 32-40.
    The very nature of RvR dicates that organized teams will be MUCH more successful than simple PuGs. Teamwork will dictate your success/failure.
    Yes. There are currently 3 dungeons in game, and iirc they are planning on adding at least one more with the coming patch (1.1). The Dungeons are HUGE, basically full zones with their own influence rewards, quests and PQs.

Yes! This is what you strive for. City Sieges are the end game.
    My machine sports a 3650 and 2 gigs of RAM and I can play on high, with 16xAF and 2xAA while maintaining a solid 50+ FPS; you'll be fine.
    It can get bogged down in really large scale RvR. I haven't experienced many issues with this, but I know friends with lower-end machines that really suffer from this. :(
    15. Many bugs?
    No. The biggest ones are the annoyingly slow mail server and animation glitches. Absolutely nothing game breaking
    The Open RvR rule set is iffy. It allows player one tier higher to RvR in zones without çhickening'. So level 21 characters can still PvP in T1 zones. Personally, I much prefer the Core/RP ruleset, but I have friends really enjoying the Open.

The biggest issue I have with the open is that there is a TON of hidden content/lairs in lower tiers that are only completeable as a T4+ player, and you wouldn't be able to access it on the Open rule set.
    I'm not sure about an ORvR server, but both of the servers I've played on (Monolith and Phoenix Throne) have healthy, thriving populations.
    Yes! :)

I hope this helps!

Pretty acurate.

• GlubbyGlubby Member Posts: 85

Wow thanks for answering all that, i think i got the general idea :)

Thanks!

• DrDwarfDrDwarf Member Posts: 475

us or eu ?

• CobraSolidusCobraSolidus Member Posts: 369

Aswell how do you defend inside the castle/keep if you're outside when it's being attacked, like i don't think anyone is just going to sit inside the keeps waiting for a attack?
    6. Alot of grinding?
    8.Built in voice-chat?
    15. Many bugs?

I am not the best guy to comment on WAR as I have not played it as much as many other players. I just want to let you know that there are a lot of people having problems with performance issues and bugs. I for one have not played as much as I want because mu FPS is really low. This happens even though I have Geforece 8800 and play AoC on 30-40 FPS (high). There is horrendous lag and finally the killer which is random crash to desktop. I have all of these issues and for some reason it just seems like it's getting worse with the patches. I know many people run the game reasonably well (but very few perfect), but I would still recommend you to wait a good 3 months time before joining in on this game.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

I think this game is great. The more people playing it, the better it will be. There is very little I do not like about the game. Definitely the best MMORPG out there in my opinion.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• AethiosAethios Member Posts: 1,527
    Originally posted by CobraSolidus

I am not the best guy to comment on WAR as I have not played it as much as many other players. I just want to let you know that there are a lot of people having problems with performance issues and bugs. I for one have not played as much as I want because mu FPS is really low. This happens even though I have Geforece 8800 and play AoC on 30-40 FPS (high). There is horrendous lag and finally the killer which is random crash to desktop. I have all of these issues and for some reason it just seems like it's getting worse with the patches. I know many people run the game reasonably well (but very few perfect), but I would still recommend you to wait a good 3 months time before joining in on this game.

I had this issue myself for a while, and it has to do with the drivers. I was using custom Omega drivers instead of the standard ATI drivers (mostly to improve performance) and they didn't agree at all with the game. It's possible that all these issues are caused by the 8800 drivers being "too new" for the game and Mythic hasn't managed to fix it yet. I'm sure it's no big deal.

• WargoleMWargoleM Member Posts: 47

overall for launch this game was pretty good

my personal opinion is that the game lacks charm. Its just not addictive like WoW and SWG were all those years ago, or even AoC was recently. It feels like a hassle to log on after a point and has caused a constant stream of re-rolling.

Id say i got at least 60 hours out of it before i was bored so it was worth the 40 pounds however the game just lacks charm, if ur a big warhammer fan it might work for you, else its not really a strong title

Save a Tree.... Eat a Beaver