Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What makes a guild

Many times people may post "What do you think is a good guild" but more importantly is the question "What is a good member".

While a highly subjective question, I figure I may as well stir the pot by making a list of attributes that belong to good members.

1: Guilds are raids, not exp. (Good guild members understand the purpose of the guild)

Sure this is a old exp EQ concept, but it's been true in every MMO I've played. It's important your guilds purpose. It's not be your best friend, hold your hand, PL you or give you junk. Guilds only exist since game dev's make content that require a larger than you would normally find stand around wishing for something to do.

B: It's not what guild can do for you...

Good guild members don't expect the guild to provide them jack, save the opportunity to earn something.

3: Silence is a virtue

Good guild members are not chatty. Nothing is worse than trying to give directions to a hard find spot, or lay out a tactic for a big kill only to get a hundred pieces of spam about how cute the cat is, or that you itch in a strange place. While it's nice you feel you can share such personal things with a group of random strangers, they don't care. People are here to play and watch things die, not to follow the shambles of your life.

4: You can't always get what you want

The guild is not here for you, it's here for a purpose. While you can be part of it, your not it. It will function just fine without you. The guild does not owe you. You are not entitled. You can take nothing and like it. Get over yourself.

5: Don't whine for a group start one.

Would you rather join the guy who sits and whines about needing a group. Or join the guy that's happily whacking away alone? Any sane person will join the person that is already racking up the exp., and shun the person that whines. Don't be a whiner. The guild does not exist to serve you.

6: The guild helps those that helps themselves

If have a 15 step quest and you can do 12 alone. Do 12 alone before asking for help. People are far more willing to help someone with just a few steps left rather than holding your hand for the entire trip. 

7: People play for fun, not to sit around and wait on you.

When you ask someone for help, your asking someone to give up thier time to help you. Don't waste thier time. Know what you need to do, where to go, what classes/skills you need...etc. Don't waste peoples time. Respect peoples time.

If you follow this simple outline of being self sufficient you always win, and you'll be a valuable assist to any guild.

-=-=-=-=-
"We're a game that's focused on grouping and on solo play, you know, more group oriented, more solo play..."
John Blakely Senior lead for EQ2. Link

Bartle: A: 93% E: 55% S:3% K: 50% The Test. Learn what it means here.

-=-=-=-=-
Achievers realise that killers as a concept are necessary in order to make achievement meaningful and worthwhile (there being no way to "lose" the game if any fool can "win" just by plodding slowly unchallenged). -bartle

Comments

• That's all fine and dandy if you play with a "I play to be uber" mentality, but I kinda prefer a "I play to have fun" mentality.  A good guild is one that has members with the same interests as you, it's about finding a balance between a "united chatroom" and a "guild of all that is uber."

For example in DAoC, there was a very well known guild on my server.  The members were all very uber, well organized, and headed the biggest of the two competing same-realm alliances.  I'm sure they all had some of the best items in the game.

But given the chance to join them, I would refuse.  They're stuck up jerks.

-Et

• _belial_belial Member Posts: 158

Well I just left the guild I was a member of on DAoC and joined a new guild with a friend of mine. Why? Well i'm of the opinion, like Etaanaru in that gaming should be "fun" and that's why I play. There were a few people in my guild who were fun but the others would just sit there crafting "l33t" weapons/armor all the time or going on big ML artifact raids, and as i'm only level 35 and everyone else had hit 50 + their ML's they'd never be interested in grouping with me.

For me a guild is all about community, helping each other out, no matter what level you are. I was more than happy to tag along as a healer and sit there just casting heal spells. But when it came to some of them taking me on some cool raids (didnt care fo the artifact or XP, just wanted some fun) I never got invited.

It's all very well having stacks and stacks of "uuber" toons in a guild, but honestly, if you're going to try and invite fresh blood into theguild yo've got to be prepared to help them out and make them feel welcome no matter what level/experience they are.

Like Etaanaru, I play these games for "fun", but I get the impressions that a lot of guildies take these things far too seriously.

// Carl

Currently Playing : anything to keep me occupied until EQ2 comes out :)

// Carl

Currently Playing : EQ2 of course

• Clever_GloveClever_Glove Member Posts: 996

I think maybe your not actually ready the post. It's about people (you) not actually about guilds.

Remember it's people time your wasting by talking to them, or trying to interact with them. Time is very precesses. So if your say level 35, your not going to add anything to a group but more risk of a over pull.

Secondly Uber guilds in DAoC is laughable. You need a guild in DAoC for exactly 0% of the game content. You can very easily do all ML's, RR's, Artifacts, exp, ect... and so on without a guild. in DAoC a guild is only a private chat channel.

I have further saying about guilds, any guild worth joining doesn't need you. Basic truth of the matter, if you think your going to just hang around some what guild and get a invite your very naive.

-=-=-=-=-
    It's always amazing how "I just play for fun" translates into "I didn't want to take the time to learn enough to be good, but it upsets my others did"

-=-=-=-=-
    Achievers realise that killers as a concept are necessary in order to make achievement meaningful and worthwhile (there being no way to "lose" the game if any fool can "win" just by plodding slowly unchallenged). -bartle

• _belial_belial Member Posts: 158

lol well if your post was about people then i'm sure glad that my guild isn't full of people like you :P Honestly, you're exactly the type of person that i lef the other guild because. There's more to life than mmorpg's you know, gaming should be about fun, and from your initial post it certainly doesnt sound like a fun way to game for me :)

// Carl

Currently Playing : anything to keep me occupied until EQ2 comes out :)

// Carl

Currently Playing : EQ2 of course

• alerumalerum Member Posts: 407

Originally posted by Clever_Glove

Remember it's people time your wasting by talking to them, or trying to interact with them. 

Dude last time I checked MMO's were about interaction with other people and not being a hermit crab.  And dont accuse those that arent power gamers and have a life outside of the games of not being good. Because those of us that have jobs lives wives children in other words A LIFE cou;d accuse power gamers of being withered up sunless antisocial geeks who have to get their kicks off off being "uber" in a game that has no bearing on reallife becasue they have no backbones and get pushed around all the time. but i wont do that becasue i dont label people.image

This cold dark and tormented hell is all i'll ever know so when you get to heaven may the devil be your judge.

~Flogging Molly~

• DragonmuseDragonmuse Member Posts: 12

I totally disagree with you Clever_Glove. Your ideal of a guild seems like a cold and heartless place. One I would have no interest in joining.

I like to help my guild mates in whatever way I can. I like them to share interests and chat. To me a good guild has a close family feeling and we do lots together, not just raids. There is a special bond that develops as you grow together.

I do agree that people shouldn't whine for PL or gear, but I believe that helping people "earn" gear and xp.. along with the odd handout is good for both the giver and receiver.

I also agree with the person who said you have to help out "fresh blood". There is nothing more frustrating for a smaller member than to watch his guild doing stuff he can't participate in because he is too low a level or not geared right. In this case, I believe if a guild wants to take on smaller members, they are obligated to get them up to speed. At the same time, said members are also obligated to help out the guild in any way they can too and help themselves as much as possible.

I have started and led successful guilds in 2 games. They are both still going strong after several years. They were based on the concepts of sharing and giving and growing together.

Your description would make a fine premise for an alliance though :)

(I tried to post this once already.. hoping it goes through this time)

• loke81loke81 Member Posts: 43

Woots a guild without the social factor off random chat? oo yes i remember.. boooring.. imageKeep the game related chat in groupchat or tells if u want or one could just find people with same oppinions, guidelines and norms are old, we recently discovered that people think and feel differently...

"Who am I to blow against the wind?"

"Who am I to blow against the wind?"

• Clever_GloveClever_Glove Member Posts: 996

Originally posted by Dragonmuse

I totally disagree with you Clever_Glove. Your ideal of a guild seems like a cold and heartless place. One I would have no interest in joining.
    I like to help my guild mates in whatever way I can. I like them to share interests and chat. To me a good guild has a close family feeling and we do lots together, not just raids. There is a special bond that develops as you grow together.
    I do agree that people shouldn't whine for PL or gear, but I believe that helping people "earn" gear and xp.. along with the odd handout is good for both the giver and receiver.
    I also agree with the person who said you have to help out "fresh blood". There is nothing more frustrating for a smaller member than to watch his guild doing stuff he can't participate in because he is too low a level or not geared right. In this case, I believe if a guild wants to take on smaller members, they are obligated to get them up to speed. At the same time, said members are also obligated to help out the guild in any way they can too and help themselves as much as possible.
    I have started and led successful guilds in 2 games. They are both still going strong after several years. They were based on the concepts of sharing and giving and growing together.
    Your description would make a fine premise for an alliance though :)
    (I tried to post this once already.. hoping it goes through this time)

This isn't my idea of a guild, this is what makes a decent guild member. Did anyone read that? Was I not clear enough.

The list a bit different for a guild. But I digress, and will briefly respond to this bizarre viewpoint. 

I agree, there is no place for low level charters in a guild, since it frustrating to them and "unfair". This is why guilds are doing high end content, people not max level want to be max level, people max level don't want to grind, they put in there time grinding. There two different goals. They tend to not mix well.

I've watch many guild try your idea of getting lowbe's up to high level as quickly as they can. The result is veteran players get board of grinding, so they don't. Lowbe's whine about veterans, they leave. Then the guild lacks what's needed to perform high end accomplishments, if lowbe's can't see new content or get groups they leave. Nice system. It's cute you think it works, but I've seen fail more times than the average age of a MMORPG.com user.

As your last paragraph is just creepy. "Sharing and loving together like cute little fuzzy bunnies with big black eyes that bounce all day in the warm sun sharing butterfly kisses under rainbows."

Most the people in your guild would dislike you in life, and a few even hate you. You know nothing about them. Your theory that people like you because you can't see them flipping you off is naive.  Most guilds if they had to function in RL wouldn't last 20 minutes. Doubt that? do a /gu I think everyone should vote for [canidate here] and watch what happens.

You should never assume anyone is your friend that you know little to nothing about. It's a good thing the game doesn't require true friendship for a guild to function becuase it possable. 

However it's just tacky to try to pretend that you have something that isn't obtainable with 80 random people hiding behind a expressionless avatar and a keyboard.

Guilds only need just enough co-operation to achoplish it's function. 

-=-=-=-=-
    "We're a game that's focused on grouping and on solo play, you know, more group oriented, more solo play..."
    John Blakely Senior lead for EQ2. Link

-=-=-=-=-