Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

how to use a GREY mercenary

nywlanasnywlanas Member Posts: 334

i read this in another forum and i think it would really be helpful to share it here too.

so basically, the thread talked about how the 5 mercenaries with the highest ap get to attack per turn (signified by a green circle below them). the question is, ‘what if the mercenary that i want to use isn’t among that 5 (thus having a grey circle below it) but has enough ap to attack?’

the answer was to use guard. once a green character is on guard, it turns his circle to grey and the next character with high skill points get included in the 5.

there, i hope this was of help. :D

Comments

• conqistadorconqistador Member Posts: 237

good tip! this is especially valuable in pvp... sometimes when you try to kill off one of the enemy's merc some little chunk of life is left and you have one last character to deal the final blow... the problem with this is that the last character does not deal enough damage to finish the job.. the solution? press guard until one of your mercs that has high atk gets to have a turn and finally deal the last blow

• SlappanSlappan Member Posts: 289

This very important, especially for the healers and cc characters that need that particular crowd control or heal at that particular moment. I used this tactic to maximize healing in the Dracula fight, where you need to do as much healing as possible, and keep your frontline up. Another thing is that there are times when you should conserve ap at times, especially when you need it's spell next turn.

• VroshnakVroshnak Member UncommonPosts: 38

Yes, very useful if you need to get your monk to cast holy guard, or you need your shaman to heal, or you need to cast freezing axe, or you need your gunner to get one more shot in to stun a column, or you need to activate someone in the middle row to switch places with someone in the front row, or...

Yes, indeed, very useful.

• nywlanasnywlanas Member Posts: 334

yea. i found this pretty useful too when i read it in that other forum.

glad to know i was of help.

• lordlapselordlapse Member Posts: 231

Nice tip. I have always been troubled how to cast that Holy Guard or Freezing Axe when the merc shows up gray. So does doing guard have any other effect? It sounds like it may decrease damage but I dont really know and I dont have time to try it yet right now...

• dt1984dt1984 Member Posts: 218

Aside from the guard technique, another useful one is if you have a merc that has a green circle but you want to reserve there ap for next turn since using them this turn will only prove useless, just use the wait button for them, you can still have the other's take there move on the same turn and the merc that you clciked wait will have for sure a turn on the next one.

This strategy will preserve you AP points since guard will use up ap still.

• VroshnakVroshnak Member UncommonPosts: 38

Guard does use some action points, but not many, and it does decrease damage taken that round.  I think it worthwhile to guard instead of just pass, but maybe I'm wrong.  Either way, sometimes you need to get control of a certain merc with plenty of action points to cast the thing you need casted.  :)