Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jacobs gets owned

I found this article funny.  Apparently Jacobs didn't.  He is fuming over on another forum.. and has vowed to take the 'gloves off' when talking about WOW.

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/10/16/world-of-warcraft-game-director-on-warhammer-online

Apparently the offending part of the article was when the WOW developer questioned why a game would keep up an NDA until the launch of the game.  In my opinion, this is a very valid question.    You see this decision playing out on Warhammer since every city seige that has happened so far has been bugged and exploited.  When beta testers are 'hushed' there is no bully pulpit to get get glaring exploits fixed.

I also found it amusing that the WOW dev experienced a lot of what the rest of us did.   Very little RvR and the majority of the game is spent grinding scenarios.

I think the state of Warhammer is pretty apparent when the first 'state of the game' speech will come the day before first renewals and will amount to  'please don't quit'.   Maybe the second 'state of the game' speech will have a mop in the background and you can sing Baby come back..

Comments

• BlodplsBlodpls Member Posts: 1,454

If anyone is getting owned I would imagine it was Paul Barnett.

• checkthis500checkthis500 Member Posts: 1,236
    Originally posted by Azrile

I found this article funny.  Apparently Jacobs didn't.  He is fuming over on another forum.. and has vowed to take the 'gloves off' when talking about WOW.
    http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/10/16/world-of-warcraft-game-director-on-warhammer-online
    Apparently the offending part of the article was when the WOW developer questioned why a game would keep up an NDA until the launch of the game.  In my opinion, this is a very valid question.    You see this decision playing out on Warhammer since every city seige that has happened so far has been bugged and exploited.  When beta testers are 'hushed' there is no bully pulpit to get get glaring exploits fixed.
    I also found it amusing that the WOW dev experienced a lot of what the rest of us did.   Very little RvR and the majority of the game is spent grinding scenarios.
    I think the state of Warhammer is pretty apparent when the first 'state of the game' speech will come the day before first renewals and will amount to  'please don't quit'.   Maybe the second 'state of the game' speech will have a mop in the background and you can sing Baby come back..

The NDA was lifted well before release.  The beta testers did test the top tier content.  I have a friend who did, and told me that he loved it, and that it needed some tweaking.

I went into the game knowing exactly what to expect because they beta testers did test this content.

---------------------------------------------
    I live to fight, and fight to live.

• EvolvedMonkyEvolvedMonky Member Posts: 549

Sounds like someone got mad he didnt get into beta.

• LocklainLocklain Member Posts: 2,154
    Originally posted by checkthis500

The NDA was lifted well before release.  The beta testers did test the top tier content.  I have a friend who did, and told me that he loved it, and that it needed some tweaking.

I went into the game knowing exactly what to expect because they beta testers did test this content.

Yes there was testing at cap, I even have screenshots of it.

This is a screenshot of Order players prepairing for siege outside of the gates to IC in the Maw.

This is a screenshot inside of IC as we defend it from the onslaught of Order players.  Notice the burning tents.

It's a Jeep thing. . .
    _______
    |___image|
    \_______/
    = image||||||image =
    |X| \*........*/ |X|
    |X|_________|X|
    You wouldn't understand
  • HazmalHazmal Member CommonPosts: 1,013

So is it really true that if Azrile bites you, in a matter of hours you'll turn into a WOW zombie and seek out the flesh of other non-WOW gamers?

------------------
    Originally posted by javac

well i'm 35 and have a PhD in science, and then 10 years experience in bioinformatics... you?
    http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/218865/page/8

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

umm there was city testing and seiging done in the top tiers, i was in it, yes there were a few bugs, but it worked

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582
    Originally posted by miagisan

umm there was city testing and seiging done in the top tiers, i was in it, yes there were a few bugs, but it worked

And you were under NDA and couldn't talk about it on the forums.  The fact is, the day before the head start launched, there was an NDA that covered a large part of the game.

Say what you will, but the WOW dev was right.  Both Bioware and Blizzard lift any NDA well before the game is launched. 

Mythic is being just as deceptive as Funcom was.   Citing accounts created (which includes preorders) rather than boxes sold.   They are going through the exact same 'marketing' process Funcom did.   NDA beta up til launch, misleading numbers (1.5M boxes 'sold' to retailers).  They are doing the exact same things that Funcom did right before resubcription dates (big hype speeches and posts).

Blizzard anounced 10.7M active accounts in July.  Do you think we'll hear how many players renewed in Warhammer?

• PheacePheace Member Posts: 2,408

Just a curiosity but what level were you for the city testing and did you test the whole thing at once or just parts? 

• mstersmithmstersmith Member UncommonPosts: 33

So a WoW Dev said his biggest compitions game sucks? Holy shit get that news to the presses. I thought the Devs were all cuddly bear and gave each other hand jobs and such. Oh wait they dont?

"War is cruelty. There is no use in refining it. The crueler it is, the sooner it is over."

• EvolvedMonkyEvolvedMonky Member Posts: 549

That woulda killed my comp.  It drags its legs in tier 2.    Man I need a new comp.

I shoulda listen;  A wife and kids will leave you broke.

• teddy_bareteddy_bare Member UncommonPosts: 398

Yeah, I was/am an Elder Tester and I can say that we got to beat the hell out of teir 4, Fortresss Sieges, City Sieges, Faction Leaders fights, city dungeons, and all other "end-game content". Yeah, there were problems, exploits, and bugs as you could probably imagine, but as with the rest of beta, Mythic was awesome when it came to nailing them down and fixing them as fast as possible. Did some get through to release? Yeah, I'm sure they did, but there has never been, nor will there ever be a truly 100% bug free MMO-launch.

And IMO, the WoW devs should keep their mouths shut about other games launches. WoW had a terrible launch compared to WAR. I recall horrendous server-side lag everywhere in the game, teir 1 raids (Onyxia and Molten Core) being broken, lots of placeholder art especially for armor and weapons, and all other kinds of problems.

• AirwrenAirwren Member UncommonPosts: 648

Yep, Call of Duty got close a few times on normal Tuesday Maintenance days.. but I'm thinking this extended downtime will push them over the edge.

God forbid WOW drops below Warhammer for a day... we'll never hear the end of it... haha.

Hmm, it appears based on your post history that you're a WoW fanboi and ZOMG LOLZ LETZ HOPE WAR DOESN"T BEATZORZ WOW LOLOLOLOLZ.  Thanks for the thread

• YeeboYeebo Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

They lifted the NDA well before launch.  Anyone could get into the open beta.  This doesn't make any sense.

I don't want to write this, and you don't want to read it. But now it's too late for both of us.

Originally posted by teddyboy420

Yeah, I was/am an Elder Tester and I can say that we got to beat the hell out of teir 4, Fortresss Sieges, City Sieges, Faction Leaders fights, city dungeons, and all other "end-game content". Yeah, there were problems, exploits, and bugs as you could probably imagine, but as with the rest of beta, Mythic was awesome when it came to nailing them down and fixing them as fast as possible. Did some get through to release? Yeah, I'm sure they did, but there has never been, nor will there ever be a truly 100% bug free MMO-launch.
    And IMO, the WoW devs should keep their mouths shut about other games launches. WoW had a terrible launch compared to WAR. I recall horrendous server-side lag everywhere in the game, teir 1 raids (Onyxia and Molten Core) being broken, lots of placeholder art especially for armor and weapons, and all other kinds of problems.

Now answer this... the day before head start, could you post about the bugs and exploits you found?   That is what this is about.  There is a certain 'accountability' that comes to game developers when their beta testers can actually.. you know.. criticize the game.

• NarsheNarshe Member Posts: 563
    Originally posted by Hazmal

So is it really true that if Azrile bites you, in a matter of hours you'll turn into a WOW zombie and seek out the flesh of other non-WOW gamers?

It's true. You'll be forced to play WoW for 8 hours a day and worship Blizzard as your god too, and the only thing's you'll be allowed to post are "10.9M subscribers", "Everything and everyone else sucks","Look at xfire and Amazon".

The dev was playing on a low/low server, of course he's going to have a bad experience and report it happily. His comments mean absolutely nothing to me. I love hearing Blizzard talk about another MMO's launch though, it's always amusing.

Waiting for Fallen Earth, World of Darkness, Old Republic, FFXIV

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

Hey man, from me to you, I understand you have a wow love spot all saved.  Hey I used to play wow and someday I may go back it was a fun game. But why do you have the urge to constantly try and bash this game? You and Bodypass need to leave the WAR forums alone and stay over in the WoW forums.  Obviously some people should not have full forum access. If you hate WAR then ok cool, but why try to bash it every chance you get?  You have beta testers posting pics and telling you that NDA was lifted.  So why are you trying to continue with your foolish prattle? I just want you to know, Seeing you and a few others post bad things about other games that are not WoW is making me want to stay far far away from WoW.  Great job on anti-promoting wow.

open beta was only up to the first 20 levels and the NDA was not lifted for the people in the closed beta who could access city seiges.  Exactly the same way AOC launched.

Why do you think we've seen 3 city seiges and all of them have been broken and exploited beyond belief

• Lonesamurai1Lonesamurai1 Member Posts: 1,210

Now answer this... the day before head start, could you post about the bugs and exploits you found?  

YES, to the devs...   no one else matters at that point, thats what a beta testis all about!

imageimage

open beta was only up to the first 20 levels and the NDA was not lifted for the people in the closed beta who could access city seiges.  Exactly the same way AOC launched.
    Why do you think we've seen 3 city seiges and all of them have been broken and exploited beyond belief

Were you in open beta? Did you test the top tiers? do you have proof for any of this or just assumptions? The fact that there is exploits or bugs only proves that the beta testers didnt catch everything.  Which is expected, get over it.  Everytime I read your post I swear im IQ drops.

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

I quit after my 3rd week in for the exact reasons the attached article covered.  PQs were empty, level through scenarios only and as an X order player I found the imbalance made the game pointless to compete over and lets face it even if you win it means FA

Originally posted by chryses

I quit after my 3rd week in for the exact reasons the attached article covered.  PQs were empty, level through scenarios only and as an X order player I found the imbalance made the game pointless to compete over and lets face it even if you win it means FA

I dont see any imbalance and I have played from low/low servers to full/flull both Order and Destruction. PQ's for me always had someone there to group, usually it requires looking in a few different places.  As in there is usually several PQ's in every chapter and that is spread out through 3 different pairings.  Try traveling? See if other areas had more players? I am sorry but everytime someone posts that there are no people around I am kinda shocked.  How can I find someone in non-peak hours everytime on either side, and you cant find 1 person to do a PQ? Weird.

• cpthowdycpthowdy Member Posts: 113

hmm me thinks some of the testers didnt tell mythic about a few of the bugs and exploits they found and kept it to themselves for these first few raids. T4 keeps being capped by 6 people, keep lords glitching to first floor, the suicide/rezzing to gain faster zone control, people unable to gain entrance to the city to defend, etc.... my only question to the beta testers is did they test the whole process or did they just say ok let's test a city siege today and you all magically appeared at the gates? by the way my free month is up on the 18th, i have already decided not to renew. RvR needs massive amounts of people to succeed and it's just not going to happen unless they merge quite a few of the lower pop servers. the destruction side on averheim had @300 people show up for their raid and they still couldnt take down the king, the bright wizard college stopped them cold(pun intended) and i dont see another raid even coming close. i know scenarios are for the ADD crowd that can only PvP in 10-15 minute bursts but they really do kill the RvR experience. if you want to keep scenarios as a way to practice and hone your skills then fine but dont give any renown points,  just some exp. maybe that will get people out into the world and PvPing instead of the few hardcore.

• DreamagramDreamagram Member Posts: 798

Reading the interview with Kaplan, I don't really see that the NDA questioning is specifically tied to WAR. I suspect it's more a nudge at AoC. The "don't let in competitor devs" part is another matter. I'd think most MMOG developer studios have that policy in place.

And peope read too much into his talk about his own WAR experience. He says he's on an unbalanced server and that the game style isn't his cup of tea - he kind'a suggests it's for players who have played other MMOGs before, while newcomers will likely enjoy WoW more. Nowhere does he say WAR sucks. ;-)

Edit: anybody got a link to Jacobs "fuming" over these comments?

• Balkin31Balkin31 Member UncommonPosts: 224

This article loses all credibility due to the fact it came from MTV.com.....:p

• AirwrenAirwren Member UncommonPosts: 648
    Originally posted by Wakygreek

Hey man, from me to you, I understand you have a wow love spot all saved.  Hey I used to play wow and someday I may go back it was a fun game. But why do you have the urge to constantly try and bash this game? You and Bodypass need to leave the WAR forums alone and stay over in the WoW forums.  Obviously some people should not have full forum access. If you hate WAR then ok cool, but why try to bash it every chance you get?  You have beta testers posting pics and telling you that NDA was lifted.  So why are you trying to continue with your foolish prattle? I just want you to know, Seeing you and a few others post bad things about other games that are not WoW is making me want to stay far far away from WoW.  Great job on anti-promoting wow.

The OP of this thread is exactly like the vast majority of WoW players, a child.  That's why he comes here and spews forth hate.  He can post on these forums all day long but it is funny to see what he does when the shoe's on the other foot and someone posts hate for his beloved World of Borecraft.  lmao  Just feel free to drink his yummy tears.