Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why did Blizzard add nothing new to WOTLK ?

124»

Comments

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

Originally posted by woody1974
    Some sites suggest that its a Bllion dollar a year industry and of course the one I put in my post says 500 million, either way you can't deny that this isn't a huge amount of money being made.I came across another site that where a guy that runs a sweatshop says:
    "It's unimaginable how big this is," said Chen Yu, 27, who employs 20 full-time gamers in Fuzhou. "They say that in some of these popular games, 40 or 50 percent of the players are actually Chinese farmers."
    Popular games: WOW, DAOC, EQ2, Lineage2, AOC.
    40% or 50% is huge, if we went 50% on WOW's so called 10 mill sub base, thats 1/2 their sub base. 5.5 Million of WOW's subs are from Asia, not everyone in Asia is apart of this garbage, but the facts show that 80% of the gold farmers and powerleveling services come from the continent of Asia.
     Is it really fair to claim them as active subscribers as WOW is claiming to have? The facts says NO. I don't think I have came across any sites that say otherwise about the impact the Asian market has on MMO's
    Im not making this stuff up, go google search it and you will see the amounts of sites that discuss this.
    My problem is this about WOW  claim of 10 million subs is fabricated and yes if I was in charge of a billion dollar industry I would lie to you too. Why the heck would I tell you the truth and risk losing all that money that buys me nice houses, cars, boats, vacations.

Again, i will quite happily stand corrected when i see some factual evidence, but when you are quoting sweat shop owners employing '20' people, it's hardly a Stone Phillips exclusive is it? You also forget that there are actually game that are more popular than WoW in Asia and as they have much easier access to those games and their customers i would imagine that a lot of their business is directed at those (but that is just a supposition).

Are you even bothering to think about what you are writing here? Look back at my out of this world example of even just half the Asian market being gold farmers/sellers and you can plainly see that there just isn't enough customers to buy the amount of gold and equipment that would be generated by an 'industry' of that size, it just makes no sense at all.

As for 80% of gold farmers coming from Asia, even if that were true, what is it 80% of? It could be 8 of the ten farmers in total around the world, that gives us a nice large percentage of 80% doesn't it and it would hardly equate to 2.75Mill subs now would it? Again, that is an extreme example, but it is just to illustrate that throwing the figure of 80% into an argument means nothing when it is not in the context of the figure it is drawn from.

As far as claiming farmers as subs, then there is no issue surrounding that as they have an active account that they are paying for and to be fair probably playing more than your standard customer, so it is a live, paid for sub whichever way you look at it.

As far as your claims against Blizzard/Vivendi are concerned, you are actually moving into the realms of libel as you have absolutely no factual basis for your argument! Blizzard/Vivendi is required by law to report their correct financial position due to taxation and business law as well as keeping shareholders happy, which mmeans they have more reason to tell the truth than lie about their figures.

This will be my last word on this as it is clear that you have your view on the subject and i have mine, so be it, but i would maybe advise that you take another look over this so 'evidence' and apply some common sense to the claims involved and then see what you come up with.

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• eccotoneccoton Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    Originally posted by Voytek

So I spend 100 hours getting gear for my char and now I might as well have never played. Blizzard wrecked the game again but this time watch the mass exodus to alternates. Blizzard got drunk on profits and forgot that the customer matters first.
    WOTLK is all the same stuff with new colors.

What do you expect. Of course it is more of the same. That is what the dedicated WoW players want. If they wanted a new game they would go buy a new game. Blizzard has a formula that works and works well why would they change that? Players just want to fun to continue. I do not see WoTLK bring many new or returning player back to the game but from what I have seen the current players will for the most part love it.

• lareslocilaresloci Member UncommonPosts: 373

Million this million that  who TF cares.... except  the shareholders....(trading at below 12.00 right now I'm buying some.) Back on topic, just look at all their servers and how full they are:

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/realmstatus/

So now compare that to the other games. So let's spin some more stories.

Why is it that, as a culture, we are more comfortable seeing two men holding guns than holding hands? ~Ernest Gaines

• RanekRanek Member Posts: 14

Woody has always been a troll on these boards. Dont know why people even bother replying to his bs. A convicted murderer has more credibility than him, and it must be true coz a sweatshop owner told me so...

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

Originally posted by Ranek
     Woody has always been a troll on these boards. Dont know why people even bother replying to his bs. A convicted murderer has more credibility than him, and it must be true coz a sweatshop owner told me so...

LMAO

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• woody1974woody1974 Member Posts: 257

Ummm thats your reply? Is that the best you can come back with? OK so what sweat shop owner blah blah its just one of thousands of sites that talk about the gold and powerleveling industry.

Ill take a line that you copied out of my post and throw back in my face, here you go right back at you with this line...."WOW has 10.5 million active subs because Blizzard told me so." it must be true, right? isn't it amazing how tossing lines back and forth works...jeeez nice attempt though...

Whether or not you believe it or not...do your own research on the sub numbers, where they are from and gold and powerlvling services and you will clearly get your answer. I couldn't find sites that debunked it contrast to what Ive said. If your proud to claim farming and powerlvling services as your subscriber base than you need your head examined..

You guys fighting a losing battle with me on this issue. You love the game and naturally your going to defend it whether I bring you 1 fact or 500 facts. What is funny is if everything im saying is not true, then why isn't everyone in the mmo industry playing WOW? ahhhh thats called looking outside the box...

Instead of arguing with me, spend some time really digging in on the issue and you will see why so many great mmo's went from #1 best sellers to has beens.

End of Discussion...onto a new post....Feel free to rant away to each other.

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

Ummm thats your reply? Is that the best you can come back with? OK so what sweat shop owner blah blah its just one of thousands of sites that talk about the gold and powerleveling industry.

Ill take a line that you copied out of my post and throw back in my face, here you go right back at you with this line...."WOW has 10.5 million active subs because Blizzard told me so." it must be true, right? isn't it amazing how tossing lines back and forth works...jeeez nice attempt though...

Whether or not you believe it or not...do your own research on the sub numbers, where they are from and gold and powerlvling services and you will clearly get your answer. I couldn't find sites that debunked it contrast to what Ive said. If your proud to claim farming and powerlvling services as your subscriber base than you need your head examined..

You guys fighting a losing battle with me on this issue. You love the game and naturally your going to defend it whether I bring you 1 fact or 500 facts. What is funny is if everything im saying is not true, then why isn't everyone in the mmo industry playing WOW? ahhhh thats called looking outside the box...

Instead of arguing with me, spend some time really digging in on the issue and you will see why so many great mmo's went from #1 best sellers to has beens.

you talk a lot of nonsense...

and im not a wow lover...before you call me a fanboi

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• euangelioneuangelion Member Posts: 109

Exodus? There was a dip in server populations when WAR was released but ever since 3.0 came live they are higher then before WARs release...

The OP obviously hasn't looked into WotLK because WotLK is changing the game much more then ever, that is already evident in the recent update. Whole class have been changed, tons of balancing has happend, new ways to twink your character are here(gliphs, AH enchants), new way of raiding, new pvp content, entirely new armor sets(more then were released with TBC), an entire new class, more land mass added then with TBC, the recent graphical update, new mount/pet system,  new skills, new talents, and etc...

Given some content will stay the same, Arena, faction grinds, and etc... because that is the mechanics of WoW. If you don't like WoW so much go play AoC, I didn't say WAR because if you hate WoW you'll hate WAR... unless your emo and just like to hate things.

Tried: Vanguard, UO, Rappelz, Archlord, RF Online, SWG, WAR, Ryzom, Anarchy Online, AC, APB, STO, Perfect World, Black Prophecy...

Played: EQ,EQII, Lineage, Lineage 2, GW, EVE Online, AoC, DoAC, iRO, AC2, WoW, SWTOR, Runes of Magic, Allods, Rift..
    Currently Playing: Tera

• greymanngreymann Member Posts: 757
    Originally posted by euangelion

Exodus? There was a dip in server populations when WAR was released but ever since 3.0 came live they are higher then before WARs release...
    The OP obviously hasn't looked into WotLK because WotLK is changing the game much more then ever, that is already evident in the recent update. Whole class have been changed, tons of balancing has happend, new ways to twink your character are here(gliphs, AH enchants), new way of raiding, new pvp content, entirely new armor sets(more then were released with TBC), an entire new class, more land mass added then with TBC, the recent graphical update, new mount/pet system,  new skills, new talents, and etc...
    Given some content will stay the same, Arena, faction grinds, and etc... because that is the mechanics of WoW. If you don't like WoW so much go play AoC, I didn't say WAR because if you hate WoW you'll hate WAR... unless your emo and just like to hate things.

This isn't enough for alot of people.  The last expansion gave each side a new class and added 2 races.  Instead of this we get one hero class.  Yes it's a brand new class whereas before it was just a trade off but it's only one that everyone's going to try.  This fact alone makes me not care about having a death knight.  And we get one new profession like before.  Same deal, who cares?  I'm sure there will be enough inscriptionists for me not to need to mess with it. 

Graphics, something that really needs an overhaul, is mainly just getting new shadows.  Wow.  Who cares.  Pvp is still broke and relies on the failed, lore-less arena system.  New levels, armor, quests, most of what you listed we've all seen before are going to make it feel like doing the same thing all over again.  The new achievement system is a joke.  You don't even have a place to get rewards it's just something gamemaster mail to you and rewards aren't retroactive. All the years of getting pvp achievements and I get nothing for it.  I suppose this is incentive for doing it all over again?  I think not blizz.  This is it for me.  They just aren't delivering fast enough to keep up with the mediocrity and boredom with the game. 

Originally posted by greymann

This isn't enough for alot of people.  The last expansion gave each side a new class and added 2 races.  Instead of this we get one hero class.  Yes it's a brand new class whereas before it was just a trade off but it's only one that everyone's going to try.  This fact alone makes me not care about having a death knight.  And we get one new profession like before.  Same deal, who cares?  I'm sure there will be enough inscriptionists for me not to need to mess with it. 

Graphics, something that really needs an overhaul, is mainly just getting new shadows.  Wow.  Who cares.  Pvp is still broke and relies on the failed, lore-less arena system.  New levels, armor, quests, most of what you listed we've all seen before are going to make it feel like doing the same thing all over again.  The new achievement system is a joke.  You don't even have a place to get rewards it's just something gamemaster mail to you and rewards aren't retroactive. All the years of getting pvp achievements and I get nothing for it.  I suppose this is incentive for doing it all over again?  I think not blizz.  This is it for me.  They just aren't delivering fast enough to keep up with the mediocrity and boredom with the game. 

Hence the "expansion" title. It's not meant to be an entirely new game, if you no longer like the game then go play something else. The graphics updates puts the graphics on par with the last major MMO release, WAR, except for texture resolution and water dynamics. 

You're right about inscriptions, however I was more interested in applying them then creating them... a day after the patch and there were already over 500 inscriptions in the AH.  I like the achievement system and they actually retro alot of stuff, I didn't know quite how much of your characters activities Blizzard had archieved. Now that I've been 70 on a few characters for a long time the leveling and new content will be a nice mix up, doing it all over for me isn't so bad since it's been a long time since I was leveling and I'd rather start at 70 then level 1 over on WAR(well actually I'm rank 20 over there). In the end though if you don't like it move on, but you don't have to be like the OP "OMGAR I HATE WotLK". For me I think WoW has another year probably, at least from what I've seen in beta, then it's on to another release. Hopefully by then you'll be something that's big and revolutionary out, not just either or...

Tried: Vanguard, UO, Rappelz, Archlord, RF Online, SWG, WAR, Ryzom, Anarchy Online, AC, APB, STO, Perfect World, Black Prophecy...

Played: EQ,EQII, Lineage, Lineage 2, GW, EVE Online, AoC, DoAC, iRO, AC2, WoW, SWTOR, Runes of Magic, Allods, Rift..

Hence the "expansion" title. It's not meant to be an entirely new game, if you no longer like the game then go play something else. The graphics updates puts the graphics on par with the last major MMO release, WAR, except for texture resolution and water dynamics. 

You're right about inscriptions, however I was more interested in applying them then creating them... a day after the patch and there were already over 500 inscriptions in the AH.  I like the achievement system and they actually retro alot of stuff, I didn't know quite how much of your characters activities Blizzard had archieved. Now that I've been 70 on a few characters for a long time the leveling and new content will be a nice mix up, doing it all over for me isn't so bad since it's been a long time since I was leveling and I'd rather start at 70 then level 1 over on WAR(well actually I'm rank 20 over there). In the end though if you don't like it move on, but you don't have to be like the OP "OMGAR I HATE WotLK". For me I think WoW has another year probably, at least from what I've seen in beta, then it's on to another release. Hopefully by then you'll be something that's big and revolutionary out, not just either or...

How original. Go ahead and say "we won't miss you" too and make your cliche'd reply complete. Didn't I just say in my first post "this is it for me"? Some of you have really rotted your brains out.

Yes blizzard is doing a great job of keeping up with WAR. What an accomplishment considering they've got at least 5 times the resources and a ton of bored yet faithful players to keep interested.  Not good enough.  I also happen to think that the time we invested in our character should count for something now.  They don't retro any rewards.  Let's be clear on that.  All you get is some tab recording past accomplishments.  What better way for blizzard to prove that they value past efforts then to give us unexpected rewards for past accomplishments?  But no blizzard won't do anything in the game that could be put to better use in going after more subscription time--something you fail to see as you're willing to be a happy little peasant and do things all over again.

Yes.  I have moved on.  Thanks for your permission to do so.  I'll also post my opinions and experiences with gaming.  You can not like it and "move on" if you don't like it.

• RanekRanek Member Posts: 14

Err i wasn't "coming back" with anything. Like i said before, theres no point in arguing with you. Read my post again, it says nothing about 10 mil subs or defending the game.  And if you took my sweatshop comment seriously, you need more help than anyone here can offer.  

All your posts on these boards are filled with ablsolute hatred towards this game and the people who play it. Like someone else said above, your posts are just nonsense. But its alright. Every village has an idiot and were more than glad to have you as ours 

Originally posted by SgtFrog

Can I boil your frog? I hear they taste like chicken and then I wouldn't have to look at it anymore.

How original. Go ahead and say "we won't miss you" too and make your cliche'd reply complete. Didn't I just say in my first post "this is it for me"? Some of you have really rotted your brains out.

Yes blizzard is doing a great job of keeping up with WAR. What an accomplishment considering they've got at least 5 times the resources and a ton of bored yet faithful players to keep interested.  Not good enough.  I also happen to think that the time we invested in our character should count for something now.  They don't retro any rewards.  Let's be clear on that.  All you get is some tab recording past accomplishments.  What better way for blizzard to prove that they value past efforts then to give us unexpected rewards for past accomplishments?  But no blizzard won't do anything in the game that could be put to better use in going after more subscription time--something you fail to see as you're willing to be a happy little peasant and do things all over again.

Yes.  I have moved on.  Thanks for your permission to do so.  I'll also post my opinions and experiences with gaming.  You can not like it and "move on" if you don't like it.

Haha, someones as touchy as a PMSing teenage girl. For that matter yes we prob won't miss you.  Guess you totally missed the part where I said move on just don't act like a child, "OMG WOW SUX AND SO DOES ANYONE WHO PLAYS".  Most players are welcoming the expansion and moving on from being 70 for a year and a half with the same gear doing the same things.  You sound like the peasant complaining about a measly 14.99 a month. MMOs are not life, if you like it pay it and play it, if you don't move on, that was the gist of what I was trying to say. Stating things like Blizzard has added nothing to WotLK is just plain silly and sounds emo.

Haha, someones as touchy as a PMSing teenage girl. For that matter yes we prob won't miss you.  Guess you totally missed the part where I said move on just don't act like a child, "OMG WOW SUX AND SO DOES ANYONE WHO PLAYS".  Most players are welcoming the expansion and moving on from being 70 for a year and a half with the same gear doing the same things.  You sound like the peasant complaining about a measly 14.99 a month. MMOs are not life, if you like it pay it and play it, if you don't move on, that was the gist of what I was trying to say. Stating things like Blizzard has added nothing to WotLK is just plain silly and sounds emo.

Right, and why you keep repeating obvious facts is what I don't understand.  Obviously I've quit playing and paying.  I'm not sure why you keep bringing it up.  It's like telling someone who just walked out the door to leave.  It's like telling someone who just quit that they're fired.  It's called disfunctional drivel.  I think what you need help with saying is that you don't like the fact that I've quit but am now talking about it right?  Well get over it.  Oh and you summed up the perpetual state of wow very well...  "the same gear doing the same things."  Only some of us are realizing that it will aways be the same gear and same things only with different names and skins.  I'm glad you're still having fun with it. Some of us are just easier to entertain and mesmerize longer I guess.  Let's see what other parroted and cliche'd remarks come from you.

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

Originally posted by SgtFrog

Can I boil your frog? I hear they taste like chicken and then I wouldn't have to look at it anymore.

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

Still busy PMSing that people still like the game and aren't so ADD that they need something new every 10 seconds. Really I can't stand can't stand mindless complainers who wine and moan and think they are better then everyone else and on top of that make me repeat the intent of what I am saying because they lack the reading capabilities to understand. Besides Grayman, your not even the OP, to whom I originally was writing to about his "OMGAR mass exodus wow sucks" type post. As to gear and leveling, maybe you haven't played enough MMOs to realize that is every single MMO on the market, this isn't the FPS market. I have no problem that you've quit, nor that you don't like WoW any longer. However, you shouldn't just assume everyone should follow you in suit and all become discontent. So continue to ramble on about how an expansion isn't creating a new game and how discontent you are with WoW that you just can't stop talking about WoW. Chao

• skaiskai Member UncommonPosts: 100

You don't even have a place to get rewards it's just something gamemaster mail to you and rewards aren't retroactive. All the years of getting pvp achievements and I get nothing for it. 

Just a correction.

Any Achievements that was tracked before the patch is retroactive.  Quite a few of the pvp ones are. I had over a 100 achievements awarded retroactively on patch day. 

• crysomorecrysomore Member Posts: 21
    Originally posted by skai

You don't even have a place to get rewards it's just something gamemaster mail to you and rewards aren't retroactive. All the years of getting pvp achievements and I get nothing for it. 

Just a correction.

Any Achievements that was tracked before the patch is retroactive.  Quite a few of the pvp ones are. I had over a 100 achievements awarded retroactively on patch day. 

Dude.  He's talking about achievement rewards not just the achievements.  He explained this several times.