Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy and Atlantica Online fans

Hello to all the Atlantica Online and Final Fantasy fans. I am a newbie in Atlantica Online and I have not played the Final Fantasy game, though I watch the anime and the movie. I am wondering why do I see a lot of threads that compare the Atlantica Online game and the Final Fantasy game. I mean, what are the basis of comparison? I would like to know what aspect of the games are the same. Please, if someone had played the two games, give us some explanation. Thanks!

Comments

• conqistadorconqistador Member Posts: 237

well aside from the folklore and the epic monsters, both games are basically similar because of the game play battle which is turn based.. its kind of amusing meeting people like you who have learned about final fantasy through the anime instead of the game...

similarities of sidequests i guess and even hidden bosses are also present, but pretty much the turn based battling system of the game is the ONLY similarity worth noting...

this similarity was highlighted because prior to AtO, turn based system was unheard of. No one actually thought it could actually be done,,,, or i guess, be even worth doing

This game may be revolutionary because it may be a precedent to the other mmos that are gonna be developed in the future.. the turn based actually works.. in fact its a perfect fit in mmos! this is unlike any o ther nobrainer hack and slash.. the battle system actually requires thinking and stratecy... the implications are endless but one worth noting is that a low level player, with excellent strategy can definitely destroy a high level power player..

• hebitrapikhebitrapik Member Posts: 9
    Originally posted by conqistador

well aside from the folklore and the epic monsters, both games are basically similar because of the game play battle which is turn based.. its kind of amusing meeting people like you who have learned about final fantasy through the anime instead of the game...
    similarities of sidequests i guess and even hidden bosses are also present, but pretty much the turn based battling system of the game is the ONLY similarity worth noting...
    this similarity was highlighted because prior to AtO, turn based system was unheard of. No one actually thought it could actually be done,,,, or i guess, be even worth doing
    This game may be revolutionary because it may be a precedent to the other mmos that are gonna be developed in the future.. the turn based actually works.. in fact its a perfect fit in mmos! this is unlike any o ther nobrainer hack and slash.. the battle system actually requires thinking and stratecy... the implications are endless but one worth noting is that a low level player, with excellent strategy can definitely destroy a high level power player..

As you mentioned turn based, it really do works. It 'even' the battle field. There are no strong or weak gamers here. Though levels still play a factor, anyone who has a high level can be defeated. In this turn based system, this term in football can be applied -> Giant killers, right?

• lawliet777lawliet777 Member Posts: 11
    Originally posted by conqistador

Actually I am a big fan of anime and I accidentally watch the Final Fantasy movie thinking it was an anime.  Since FF and Atlantica Online is mostly the same, I guess I already played Final Fantasy, with a different characters, places, and monsters. And of course, thanks to the turn based, it even the battling field as mentioned by hebitrapik.

• conqistadorconqistador Member Posts: 237

as i said the turn based system is the only similarity worth noting, it would be unfair to compare them or put them at an equal footing.. AtO is a unique game in itself and should not be downplayed by the shadow of final fanatasy.. FF series on the other hand are classics in the video gaming industry... while AtO reinvented their format into a new and refreshing genre, the FF series will always remain the Mona Lisa of console RPGs

• HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851

I wouldn't even go there, while they are both turn based. Neither has the same battle engine. Atlantica is all about strategy on a grid like battle field, where Final Fantasy is a tradition rpg menu system. Final Fantasy is also way more complex in both depth and skills/spells.

I wouldn't compare Final Fantasy to Atlantica ever, they have nothing in common.

[[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • hulloworldhulloworld Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by Hashbrick

I wouldn't even go there, while they are both turn based. Neither has the same battle engine. Atlantica is all about strategy on a grid like battle field, where Final Fantasy is a tradition rpg menu system. Final Fantasy is also way more complex in both depth and skills/spells.
    I wouldn't compare Final Fantasy to Atlantica ever, they have nothing in common.

emphasis on BOTH TURN BASED and NOTHING IN COMMON. tut tut.

well anyway, yea. they are both turn-based and that's what they have in common. i agree with conqistador that atlantica shouldn't be seen in the shadow of final fantasy because this would, in effect, overshadow the other good features that atlantica has. in fact, atlantica should be seen in another light.. that it is one of the first turn-based mmorpgs there is out there and that for a game in open beta, it actually is a good one. that's why it receives criticisms like it's already fully released.

• lordlapselordlapse Member Posts: 231
    Originally posted by Hashbrick

True. I am one of those who believe these games are not comparable. And I agree that FF has a lot more depth in all aspects. Atlantica has a long way to go, and if this game truly aims to bring balance to PVP, they will have to implement a much simpler system. A battle system in FF that has elemental damage and so on can bring imabalance in a tactical game aimed for PVP endgame.

• lawliet777lawliet777 Member Posts: 11

Oh I see, well I just asked this question because I saw a lot of users in the forum asking for a new game that is like the Final Fantasy game. And a lot of them are suggesting Atlantica Online. Just as I said, I never played the Final Fantasy game as of now, that is why I am wondering what are the similarities of the Final Fantasy game and the Atlantica Online game.

• lordlapselordlapse Member Posts: 231
    Originally posted by lawliet777

Oh I see, well I just asked this question because I saw a lot of users in the forum asking for a new game that is like the Final Fantasy game. And a lot of them are suggesting Atlantica Online. Just as I said, I never played the Final Fantasy game as of now, that is why I am wondering what are the similarities of the Final Fantasy game and the Atlantica Online game.

OMMFG. You are missing on the good things in RPG's if you haven't played FF. I am suggesting this game because as a standalone game, I enjoy it. Comparison could really cloud a person's POV.