Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tic, Tic, Tic...

Three days will tell the tale... my sub expires then. How many others will? That's the real question.

I though I had found a home for years to come. I really loved this game till I hit T3. The knockbacks pretty much ruined it for me.  I don't really know what I will play now. Maybe I am just done with MMOs. I don't see anything on the horizon.

Resigned level 26 Zealot :(

Comments

• imbantimbant Member Posts: 1,291

The knockbacks ruined it for you?  And you are on the destro side???

Im assuming your frustration is comming mainly from knockbacks in Tor Anroc, because yes it is very annoying there...but outside of situations like that, knockbacks are hardly annoying.

If anything is annoying with that mechanic....it is the "pulls" that allow you to target and pull an enemy at ranged to you.  Although I really like both the knockbacks and pulls, but it is still annoying when you are the victim.

~~
    Darkfall Releases on: February 25th, 2009

Darkfall Recap of everything that has happened the last 3 months: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/213296

"The monsters are tough. I was looking for a challenge, but these things are just too damn smart." -DF Beta Tester

"If people were dismissing it, then they wouldn't be talking about it. The well-meaning gamers root for efforts that try to raise the bar. So who's left? It's so easy being a skeptic." -Tasos

• BiggusRiggusBiggusRiggus Member UncommonPosts: 126

The mechanic in general just doesn't work for me. I can't really explain why. Yes I can see the tactics, a SW runs at you and knocks you out of the park... just doesn't work for me. It just seems out of rythm. Fine if others like it. I just think it's not the way I like to play.

I was on Destro with an old PvP guild I joined through a friend. That didn't do it for me. I actually thought it might be that I need to switch sides to Order. I went order for a week with a guild I found online. It just seemed hollow.

I think maybe the fact may also be that I am just not a guildy. I never raided in WoW, and didn't guild up but maybe 4 months in almost 3 years of playing. I wanted this game for PvP cuz that's all I did there. This PvP blew that away until knockbacks. Ultimately, in this game end game, you have to be in the equivalent of a Raiding guild to truly gain reward. I think once I realized that, it kind of did it in for me.

I'm just not a guildy and you HAVE to be one in War.

Originally posted by BiggusRiggus

The mechanic in general just doesn't work for me. I can't really explain why. Yes I can see the tactics, a SW runs at you and knocks you out of the park... just doesn't work for me. It just seems out of rythm. Fine if others like it. I just think it's not the way I like to play.
    I was on Destro with an old PvP guild I joined through a friend. That didn't do it for me. I actually thought it might be that I need to switch sides to Order. I went order for a week with a guild I found online. It just seemed hollow.
    I think maybe the fact may also be that I am just not a guildy. I never raided in WoW, and didn't guild up but maybe 4 months in almost 3 years of playing. I wanted this game for PvP cuz that's all I did there. This PvP blew that away until knockbacks. Ultimately, in this game end game, you have to be in the equivalent of a Raiding guild to truly gain reward. I think once I realized that, it kind of did it in for me.

I can definitely see where you are coming from...however I dont think you need to be in the equivalent of a raiding guild to truly gain reward.

This is comming from someone who has been in a guild comprised of about 15 core members the last 7 years, so try to keep that in mind.  We usually end up having 20-25 people online at the very best after finding new members that fit our personalities in each game we play, but we are not that huge uber guild.

WAR tried to really give people who dont like guilds a chance to experience it all.  PQs and Keep sieges allow you to just "join in" and contribute.  Same thing with scenarios to some extent.  But in keep sieges you will never get the full experience, in my opinion, until you have sieged or especialyl defended one as a part of a coordinated group.

Organizing your warband and setting up dedicated groups of BWs + an aoe healer, or gathering the melee guys on the postern door to mount up and go pick off the sieging factions siege weapons and people in the back to create a distraction.  It adds a new level of strategy and overall reward of the experience.

And going back to knockbacks...yes i can see how personal distaste for knockbacks could make it annoying, even if i dont mind them.  I simply would rather have them than a crowd control fest ala stuns/mezz/fear etc like WoW had.

~~

Darkfall Recap of everything that has happened the last 3 months: http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/213296

"The monsters are tough. I was looking for a challenge, but these things are just too damn smart." -DF Beta Tester

"If people were dismissing it, then they wouldn't be talking about it. The well-meaning gamers root for efforts that try to raise the bar. So who's left? It's so easy being a skeptic." -Tasos

• airheadairhead Member UncommonPosts: 718

If you've ever played a SW... then you would know KB was about their only real value as class....

just run back and kill em; it has a 30+ second reset timer, so it's not going to happen again.

• Random_mageRandom_mage Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

KB and overpowered bright wizards..

(taking 4k of damage in just  TWO dots.. is a bit much..)

Currently playing Real Life..

http://i36.tinypic.com/2uyod3k.gif

For all your stalking needs..
    http://www.plurk.com/Random_

• m240gulfm240gulf Member UncommonPosts: 460

They way you guys talked about it I thought it was a pvp tactic, but you're talking about server issues right?  In old SWG, we called this rubber-banding.  Very annoying and it too sooo long for $OE to fix it too, but it got fixed.  If you leave over this issue, I would check back later if this is the only thing holding you back.  It is something common and fixable.

I Reject your Reality and Substitute it with My Own!

• ZionnaxZionnax Member Posts: 107

I've cancelled my account, effective the 19th.  No, I don't say that because I expect anyone to care, I just state it in response to the OP's question.

There isn't really anything I overly dislike about the game.  I I could consistently find RvR action, then my desire to continue playing would be high.  In the last week, I have not found a single RvR group in T2.  I create one, nobody joins.  I chat in general, nobody responds...completely dead chat.

If I'm lucky, I'll run across a handful of Destro, but usually not even that.  It's usually me, running from T2 battleground to battleground looking for a fight and a group.

Meanwhile, I can go to the warcamps, and there are a dozen or two individuals just standing there, I assume waiting for Scenarios to pop...

I can't buy RvR for gold in this game even...I don't know that right now I have the heart to re-roll on a more populated server, as my population seems fine...they just don't care to RvR.

Originally posted by m240gulf

They way you guys talked about it I thought it was a pvp tactic, but you're talking about server issues right?  In old SWG, we called this rubber-banding.  Very annoying and it too sooo long for $OE to fix it too, but it got fixed.  If you leave over this issue, I would check back later if this is the only thing holding you back.  It is something common and fixable.

Nope we were talking (or at least I was) about ranged and melee knockback skills that send your target(s) flying away from you.  Enough to knock them over a ledge into lava or out of the fight temporarily.

~~

• AirwrenAirwren Member UncommonPosts: 648
    Originally posted by Zionnax

I've cancelled my account, effective the 19th.  No, I don't say that because I expect anyone to care, I just state it in response to the OP's question.
    There isn't really anything I overly dislike about the game.  I I could consistently find RvR action, then my desire to continue playing would be high.  In the last week, I have not found a single RvR group in T2.  I create one, nobody joins.  I chat in general, nobody responds...completely dead chat.
    If I'm lucky, I'll run across a handful of Destro, but usually not even that.  It's usually me, running from T2 battleground to battleground looking for a fight and a group.
    Meanwhile, I can go to the warcamps, and there are a dozen or two individuals just standing there, I assume waiting for Scenarios to pop...
    I can't buy RvR for gold in this game even...I don't know that right now I have the heart to re-roll on a more populated server, as my population seems fine...they just don't care to RvR.

I've had the same problem from time to time as you have.  I want some rvr action and cannot find any in the tier 1 or tier 2 areas.  After the changes in the xp for rvr over the last few days I have started seeing ALOT more rvr than prior.  I am also seeing that a lot of people are now tier 3 and tier 4 so I'm a bit behind the leveling curve.  My hope is that there will be plenty of fun in the tier 3 and 4 areas to keep me interested.  I'm not saying that you shouldn't quit, it's your decision but I'm trying to get far enough into the game to be able to make a fully informed decision about how the pvp will play out.  Best of luck to you!

• NeonShadowNeonShadow Member UncommonPosts: 326

Same boat as OP. Loved the game, got to T3, got bored with the game. I tried many different careers to see that if I was maybe playing with the wrong one. Nope, the game was just boring. I think I'm done with MMOs for now. First AoC and now WAR. Oh well, guess I won't sub, I might check WAR in a few months to see if they've added Slayers, but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

• YunbeiYunbei Member Posts: 898
    Originally posted by NeonShadow

Same boat as OP. Loved the game, got to T3, got bored with the game. I tried many different careers to see that if I was maybe playing with the wrong one. Nope, the game was just boring. I think I'm done with MMOs for now. First AoC and now WAR. Oh well, guess I won't sub, I might check WAR in a few months to see if they've added Slayers, but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Same here.

• PangaeaPangaea Member Posts: 434

T3 is fun for me. I am an IB.. I love my knock back.. knocking those Destro into lava is hilarious.

That aside.. that shouldn't make someone quit the game. Maybe quit queing for that scenario.

And its wierd, a Zealot complaining about knock back.

hmm

Zealots are ranged.. right? they dont' want people near them anyways.. how is this a problem? knocking you out of your 150 foot heal range?

I just dont' get how its THAT fustrating.

Sounds like the others here are just bored.

Well I hope the best for you guys.. if you are REALLY quitting and never coming back I would love to have your accounts. I would be willing to pick up the subscriptions if you chose to give them up.

• ProserpineProserpine Member UncommonPosts: 87

Three days will tell the tale... my sub expires then. How many others will? That's the real question.
    I though I had found a home for years to come. I really loved this game till I hit T3. The knockbacks pretty much ruined it for me.  I don't really know what I will play now. Maybe I am just done with MMOs. I don't see anything on the horizon.

knockbacks?!?!  knockbacks ruined it for you?  I am too amazed to even laugh: quiting for such an insignificant reason.  But seriously, I ran by a rock I didn't like, so I am leaving the game.

I also am surprised to see destro complaining about class imbalance.  I play a BW and I think its cool how we can really dish it out in exchange for having 10hp.  Meanwhile destro's casters can do nearly as much damage with 10x the survivability. 

------------------------------
    "Everything is awesome. Fundamentally."

• demented669demented669 Member Posts: 402

good quit we don't need sore losers but this game if so full of them it's insane, see what heppens when parents don't count score at little league T ball games.. you get a generation of people that if they don't get handed a win they take there toys and go home !

• SteelguruSteelguru Member Posts: 118

That is very true - while I actually like running alone sometimes, overall the game is MUCH more fun in a guild.   And beyond that - even developing multi-guild alliances - the game is truly set up for that aspect. 

For example (and I'm just in a medium sized guild), as much as I hear my guildies QQ on vent when they get knocked back......they also get just as excited when they see me launch about 3 Dest into the lava.   And if you are playing with friends, you can coordinate knockbacks and prevent players from even getting to you to do so.   I'd think as an MMO needing to play as a group is a good thing - there are already so many things you can do alone in WAR.   And heck your CAN run solo all you want and do ok......you'll just do better with teamwork.   Seems fair to me.

I'd also say this - when I get knocked into the lava, 90% of the time it is really my fault.    When I see a big Orc break off his target and run right at me, I know what's coming and since they don't have the awful charge (really teleport) that wars have in WoW, I can get away if I have situational awareness.    Some squigs knock back too.....so when I get one on me, I make sure my back isn't to the lava since they can't move to the side and knock me back like a player can.   When you see a fat little dwarf running at you......make sure you are not in position to get knocked into the lava.   You won't be able to avoid it every time, but msot times you will if you are keeping an eye on your surroundings.    Try playing with that mindset and see if with practice it gets better......hope you stick it out.   Might as well get to 40 at this point, and see if it gets better......or just avoid queing up for Tor.......or roll Order so you can run whatever scenario you want :)

• fansedefansede Member UncommonPosts: 960

I agree with many. There are lots of criticisms for this game, but knockbacks add chaos in the batlle flow. If there wasn't any means to grab ranged players into the mix and knock away a foe which can rape you in melee then the game would be boring.

There needs to be more of these elements not less. yes, it is frustraing to get knocked into lava for a quick death or knocked off a hill in a scenario. But Order can do it as well as Destro. This means you have to plan your approach . For those console types who like to own npcs with godlike prowess, it will be frustrating. Teamwork and communication is the key.

Originally posted by Steelguru

To fully experience the game, you have to be either guilded or in a well organized group. The offical word will never admit this, because you *can* solo all the way to 40. I just don't know anyone who did this and enjoyed it.  The game is not for everyone and sounds like it is not for you.

• demented669demented669 Member Posts: 402
    Originally posted by fansede

Originally posted by Steelguru

To fully experience the game, you have to be either guilded or in a well organized group. The offical word will never admit this, because you *can* solo all the way to 40. I just don't know anyone who did this and enjoyed it.  The game is not for everyone and sounds like it is not for you.

i don't need a guild for anything i do so far in the game 25 shaman + many alts,  and i am enjoying myself alot thanks and will till i hit lvl 40 then i might look in joining a guild.

Originally posted by demented669

Originally posted by fansede

i don't need a guild for anything i do so far in the game 25 shaman + many alts,  and i am enjoying myself alot thanks and will till i hit lvl 40 then i might look in joining a guild.

So, have you soloed everything up until this point? You have not joined a single scenario or joined public quest? Engaged in one keep capture or defense? I would be interested in hearing your experience so far.

I did play solo last night as a test for myself.  It is definitely not my taste. Not to mention I am a RP so it takes me a bit longer to take down a mob. I managed to complete Chap 14, found a tome unlock and completed about 10 quests in 4 hours. I started the night 50% into lvl 28, I ended the night about 85% into lvl 28, got some minor upgrades in gear.  All the while my alliance on Ironfist was calling for a warband for zone captures and my guild calling me for scenarios and open RvR...

• bodypassbodypass Member Posts: 770

http://www.xfire.com/games/who/Warhammer_Online_Age_of_Reckoning/

One picture ... a 1000 words.

Beta numbers (Sep 16th).

• checkthis500checkthis500 Member Posts: 1,236
    Originally posted by bodypass

http://www.xfire.com/games/who/Warhammer_Online_Age_of_Reckoning/

One picture ... a 1000 words.
    Beta numbers (Sep 16th).

Do you have any idea what you're talking about?

1. Yesterday was a patch day and the servers were also brought down a second time after the patch, so of course play time is low.

2. September 16th was when Standard Edition Head Start started, not Open Beta.....

---------------------------------------------
    I live to fight, and fight to live.

• BattleskarBattleskar Member Posts: 341
    Originally posted by m240gulf

I beg to differ with you on the fact thet SOE fixed the rubber banding.It got better,but was never completly fixed.I think the Knockback they are talking about is a spell,and not a server issue:P

• ParkCarsHereParkCarsHere Member Posts: 666

Really?

...Really?

• BiggusRiggusBiggusRiggus Member UncommonPosts: 126
    Originally posted by ParkCarsHere

Really?

...Really?

Yep! Really!

So what if I get them. I played destro and we won 90% of everything I played up to 26! I just don't like the mechanic, period whether I have them or others have them. It doens't feel right to me.

As I stated in other posts here, I don't like being guild dependent.

Also, for months I envisioned this game as something different than it turned out! I thought it was going to be like the Old Hillsbrad PvP battles before Blizz put in the BGs to stop them (could never figure that one out), but 10 times better. Oddly, Bg in WoW are what ruined world PvP there. Hmm, sound familiar to some of the other posts here? Nobody RvRs! Nobody. There isn't even a mob in a lot of the RvR lakes! They are deserts! The only time I truly RvRed was on day 3 after it went live in one of the Towns on Eerie Downs. Then people just dissapeared! Everyone says, "its about end game". Actually, I think to a lot of MMOers its not about the destination, but the journey. This game doesn't seem like a journey. It is instance, after instance, after instance along the way if you want to PvP at all!

And I think people are right... there will not be enough Order on some servers to make it fun! Oddly I went back Vanguard last week to see what it was like now. Now, IMO that game is the best of all of the MMOs I have played (SWG, WoW, CoH, EVE, TR, AoC, and WAR). The game makes you actually read and think about what you are doing. You have to figure things out, etc. Sadly, there is no PvP and probably never will be. One dead PvP server. I really like the game, but I just can't bring myself to PvE. A great game a year and a half later, but I just can't play where there are no PvPers. No sub there for me either.

I will not bash it in terms of release. I think they did an awesome job and it went a lot smoother than any of the others I have experienced. I think many of the posts are right: if you get rid of the Scenarios, then it would have depth. I just think that it isn't being played the way the game was designed to be played. So, we leave.

• ProserpineProserpine Member UncommonPosts: 87

Yep! Really!
    So what if I get them. I played destro and we won 90% of everything I played up to 26! I just don't like the mechanic, period whether I have them or others have them. It doens't feel right to me.
    As I stated in other posts here, I don't like being guild dependent.
    Also, for months I envisioned this game as something different than it turned out! I thought it was going to be like the Old Hillsbrad PvP battles before Blizz put in the BGs to stop them (could never figure that one out), but 10 times better. Oddly, Bg in WoW are what ruined world PvP there. Hmm, sound familiar to some of the other posts here? Nobody RvRs! Nobody. There isn't even a mob in a lot of the RvR lakes! They are deserts! The only time I truly RvRed was on day 3 after it went live in one of the Towns on Eerie Downs. Then people just dissapeared! Everyone says, "its about end game". Actually, I think to a lot of MMOers its not about the destination, but the journey. This game doesn't seem like a journey. It is instance, after instance, after instance along the way if you want to PvP at all!
    And I think people are right... there will not be enough Order on some servers to make it fun! Oddly I went back Vanguard last week to see what it was like now. Now, IMO that game is the best of all of the MMOs I have played (SWG, WoW, CoH, EVE, TR, AoC, and WAR). The game makes you actually read and think about what you are doing. You have to figure things out, etc. Sadly, there is no PvP and probably never will be. One dead PvP server. I really like the game, but I just can't bring myself to PvE. A great game a year and a half later, but I just can't play where there are no PvPers. No sub there for me either.
    I will not bash it in terms of release. I think they did an awesome job and it went a lot smoother than any of the others I have experienced. I think many of the posts are right: if you get rid of the Scenarios, then it would have depth. I just think that it isn't being played the way the game was designed to be played. So, we leave.

Here's what doesn't make sense.  You make good points about significant problems with the game, but your OP says your leaving because of KNOCKBACKS!?!?

Its like: "This guy spit in my face, kicked me in the nuts then shot me in the thigh, but I don't like him because he was wearing an earing"

------------------------------
    "Everything is awesome. Fundamentally."