Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Community and You

I never make new topics, but I was thinking about this the other day. 

I think this game has been out long enough that we can all stop complaining about what it "doesn't" have, accept it for what it is, and figure out how to make the best of what we got. (And believe it or not, we got a lot.)

There seem to be so many topics about the community in this game lacking, and about people not doing PQs, and not doing RvR, etc. so I decided to make this topic for people to read and then discuss.

First the Community.  I think a lot of people came to this game expecting a community to be in place.  This simply isn't the case.  The game is far too new for any community to have been established, and with the abysmal choices for chat channels, this makes things even worse.  This is where we come in, the community.  We have to develop the community ourselves.  With the addition of the Region Chat channel, there is now a very easy opportunity for all of us, yes us, to start up this community that the game needs. 

So read on, and feel free to add your own ideas for how this community can get going, given what we have.  Try not to complain about what the developers could add to create a community.  Focus on what we can do with what we already have to create the community ourselves.  It's not up to the developers to make us play together.

1. Help.  If you have a simple question about something, ask it in Region Chat.  While there probably should be a Help channel, you have to make do with what you have, and the use of the Region Chat channel for Help purposes would probably draw the developer's eye to this.  Also, in responses to people asking for help, be helpful.  This is a new game, we're all n00bs, and we all will have questions about something even though some of us are max level and the game's only been out a month.

2. LFG.  Regardless of how many open groups there are, there is still a great need for LFG.  If you haven't noticed, Open Groups either say PQ, PvE, or RvR, and this has nothing to do with what you're "actually" doing, so it's not very helpful.  Use the Region Chat, and RvR - Region Chat, and sending tells, to find out what people are up to, or to let people know what you're doing.  If you need help with a BO, then ask for it.  If you want to form up a Keep Siege, then let people know.  If you want to do PQs for a certain chapter then let people know.  Yes you'll have to do the leg work in most cases, but it will develop a sense of community and working together that is much needed in this fledgling game.

3. RvR.  Using the above suggestion of finding RvR warbands through Regional Chat, the Open Group system and also through plan ol' Sending Tells and seeing if people would be interested, get some Open World RvR going.  If there isn't anyone out in the RvR areas, take back any Battlefield Objectives you can, and if there's a keep that the opposing realm owns, just go up and attack the guards if you don't have a big enough warband to take the keep.  This will alert the other realm via the map (which more people check than you think) that the keep is under attack, and believe it or not, they'll come to defend it pretty quick.

So now I'm going to leave this thread open to other suggestions for how to develop community, how to work with others, and how to really get the RvR and Public Quests going, since we all know by now how population dependent the game is.

Please don't use this thread (or at least minimally) to complain about a lack of community or to bitch and moan about other things.  If you really feel that way, then start chatting up some people in-game, not on the forum.  This thread is intended to get people talking about how we, the community, can help to develop it even further and hopefully get something in place so that newcomers don't see what we've seen with a desolate community where it's hard to find groups.

---------------------------------------------
I live to fight, and fight to live.

Comments

• checkthis500checkthis500 Member Posts: 1,236

Interesting.  Now I know not to make a topic for discussion on the General Discussion boards.

I guess i should have titled it "WAR ROXORS AND ANYONE WHO THINKS OTHERWISE IS A NOOB!!!!"

or "I H8 DIS GAME!!!"

Oh well.  Bumping this for intelligent discussion on developing community in a month old game. :(

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888

I think a lot of what you suggest will occur now.

The biggest problem with war's community was a lack of the physical tools like a regional chat in game that worked.  So most of what you suggest wasn't possible until the patch yesterday.  Now that we have some regional chats that work we should see a lot more community development.

One think I gotta say about mythic is they do seem to do a nice job listening and steadily fixing things without making them worse each patch.  I think the Mythic people have their act together!

---
    Ethion

• checkthis500checkthis500 Member Posts: 1,236
    Originally posted by ethion

The biggest problem with war's community was a lack of the physical tools like a regional chat in game that worked.  So most of what you suggest wasn't possible until the patch yesterday.  Now that we have some regional chats that work we should see a lot more community development.
    One think I gotta say about mythic is they do seem to do a nice job listening and steadily fixing things without making them worse each patch.  I think the Mythic people have their act together!

That's a lot of the reason why I didn't make any post about it until now.  The tools are available and it's time to stop saying that there isn't community and to start actually making the community ourselves. :)

• AirwrenAirwren Member UncommonPosts: 648
    Originally posted by ethion

I would like to elaborate a bit on your final statement because I think at some level it bears repeating.  I have as much as anyone else found things about this game that don't suit my personal tastes for MMO's.  My biggest complaint so far has been that lack of community feel.  However, I think people need to step back some and make comparisons with their previous experiences in MMO games and ask themselves what about this game makes it different, if anything.  Here is what I keep coming back to:

I have played quite a few MMO's over the years and my overall biggest frustration with this type of game is the seeming lack of consideration being given by developers to the desires of the player base and their overall lack of response time to player needs.  I've played games from SOE, NC Soft, Blizzard, Funcom, and several others and I have found that more often than not these companies are slow to respond if they even choose to respond at all.

Now, I have noticed in the very short lifepsan of this game that this is where I am seeing the difference between WAR and the other games I have played.  Yes, there are things in the game that I do not like.  But what evidence do I have that they will not fix or change these things?  The only evidence I have is from my preconceived notions about how this game company will treat me exactly the same as all the others.  In reality this hasn't been the case at all.  The things the community seems to be asking for....they are getting and they are getting them in  a very short period of time.  What more can we ask for as gamers then to play a game where the makers of the game are listening to our suggestions and trying to implement them in the shortest time possible?  For me, I have all of the evidence I need to believe that this game is going to continue to get better rather than getting worse.  I can't say that about any of the MMO's I used to play.