Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

old school UO Tamer looking for a new home..

sabutai22sabutai22 Member Posts: 262

The time has come for me to leave UO, the graphics are just getting to me so any UO Tamer's out there know of any MMO's that have more or less the same pet system UO has? (do not include SWG, they upset me years ago when they removed CH and i never plan to go back!).

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• obiiobii Member UncommonPosts: 804

Have you tried a hunter in WOW?

Sort of close to what a tamer is in UO

• deftskulkdeftskulk Member CommonPosts: 67

I haven't seen any mmos with the same level of pet variety.

In Guild wars you can have your heros have pets (3 heros plus you). If you want to herd that's your best bet.

Wow has a pretty good taming system ,but it's mostly just a bunch of beast with different skins and... only one pet at a time.

Sad to say MMOs Have never really made place for tamers . 

I might even go back to wow if they made a talent tree where one could tame something besides just beast.

• sabutai22sabutai22 Member Posts: 262
    Originally posted by obii

Have you tried a hunter in WOW?
    Sort of close to what a tamer is in UO

Yeah i tried WOW hunter, just didnt "feel" like a true pet dependent class (at least to me). Its kinda sad that in my opinion SWG creature handler was very close and better in other ways. I just have too many bad memories with that game to ever go back.

• The_Elder_CLOWNThe_Elder_CLOWN Member Posts: 57

Creature Handler in SWG was darn close and alot of fun. However, the game morphed into something completely different in nov 05.

M M O S S I N C E |1998|
    P L A Y I N G F A L L E N E A R T H
    T I M E I N V E S T E D |uo|swg|wow|fe|
    B E T A T E S T E R |rz|tr|hgl|potbs|potc|gw|hz|wish|fe|wow|df|war|allods|cog|lu|
    w w w . c l o w n g u i l d . o r g

• mrcalhoumrcalhou Member UncommonPosts: 1,444

City of Villians has a mastermind class, which uses pets; however, you don't tame them, and besides the robots, they are all human skinned.

--------
    "Chemistry: 'We do stuff in lab that would be a felony in your garage.'"

The most awesomest after school special T-shirt:
    Front: UNO Chemistry Club
    Back: /\OH --> Bad Decisions

• ObeeObee Member Posts: 1,550

As previously said, WoW's hunter class is the closest thing you'll find to UO's tamer.  It isn't really anywhere close to UO's tamer, so it isn't anywhere near an equivelent.  You're not going to find a replacement for tamer in any of the current (or even upcoming) MMOs.

Unfortunately, EQ was much more successful that UO, and WoW took the EQ model, removed the tedium, and because massively successful.  That means the vast majority of future MMOs are going to be of the WoW model, as opposed to the UO model.  The only post UO MMO that was anywhere near the UO model was revamped into a very poor version of the WoW model (Star Wars Galaxies).

• sabutai22sabutai22 Member Posts: 262

Actually a friend of mine just told me about this game:

http://swordofthenewworld.gamersfirst.com/about.php

More specific;

"With multi-character control (MCC), players are able to command up to three characters simultaneously. No longer limited to playing one character at a time, players can instantly switch between their favorite character classes or control them all at once. Each one of those character classes - musketeer, wizard, fighter, scout, elementalist, and the unique player characters (UPCs) - acquires, over time, an impressive set of combat stances."

I really like this concept allot!

• King-KongKing-Kong Member Posts: 95

That is kind of like having a macro program or multiuo built in.

• StellosStellos Member UncommonPosts: 1,491

As a former UO tamer and MMO gamer for many years I'd like to give you my advise how I see it regarding your question.  There is no current MMORPG with a pet system similar, not even close actually.  Perhaps Mortal Online or Darkfall Online will address this issue, but I honestly don't see that happening.  Unfortunately you may just have to find a new favorite type of character to play.

• I can't believe people compared a Hunter in WoW to a tamer in UO...... Tamers were cool and very effective - Hunters for the first year of WoW(i only played about a year prolly) were practiclly useless. Not to mention Tamers in UO cared about the pets they had - working up skills, not being able to res them, keeping them well fed so they listened better, having different color ones, etc etc. WoW has no tamer's - it has a stagnent hunter class that reaks of meh

• CereoCereo Member Posts: 551

Sorry no game has tried to make a Tamer class, Hunter is WoW is a really sad sad excuse and shouldn't of even been mentioned. Darkfall and Mortal online will NOT have UO taming features, sorry. What an amazing concept lost in the mist for some reason...

• obiiobii Member UncommonPosts: 804

Balancing taming though was also very hard.

First they made it that getting to be a good tamer was very hard. Then they let everyone become a tamer and it got to be the easiest way to make money.

Then they had to buff warriors so they were as strong again as tamers....

EA never found a middle way. In retrospect maybe people should have only be able to tame drakes and work with those and things would not have got so unbalanced.

But then we can all agree that EA has no real idea how to balance and fix things in a senseful way.

• sirb1oodsirb1ood Member Posts: 17

Final Fantasy 11 has a beast master class.  Its probably about the closest to a match you will find.

Differences are, pets can be summoned with the right depetable resource.  Pets will not follow you when you leave the zone.  You are limited to only 1 pet. You can tame animals, but no messages like UO has, its either success or fail, and you have to wait a little bit to try again.  Its somewhat skill based as well as level based

Solowise, you can solo clear up to level 75 if you want to.  Beast Masters are one of the most powerful solo jobs in the game...  all depends on your equipment for tweaking the job.

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

A previous poster mentioned Guild Wars, and you can play a Ranger and tame one pet. The pet will level up as it fights, but it's not quite the same as UO.

• the_nacksterthe_nackster Member Posts: 23

It furiates me that people so severely underplay beast mastery in Guild Wars! Yes you can only tame one pet but that pet can be a more usefull ally than most henchmen. Pets can deal conditions as well as several different types of damage, depending on which pet you have. A powerful pet user is seriously the most underated type of player in the game. Anyways done bitching, go play guild wars.

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

I don't think anyone is down-playing Ranger in Guild Wars, it's just not the same type of pet taming as in UO. As I recall, as the pet fought  you could see what stats it raised etc, because UO is kill based and not level based. And I think you could even lock the skills you didn't want the pet to raise, just like your character but I'm no 100% sure.

• FockerFocker Member Posts: 344
    Originally posted by Stellos

As a former UO tamer and MMO gamer for many years I'd like to give you my advise how I see it regarding your question.  There is no current MMORPG with a pet system similar, not even close actually.  Perhaps Mortal Online or Darkfall Online will address this issue, but I honestly don't see that happening.  Unfortunately you may just have to find a new favorite type of character to play.

I know Darkfall isn't planning on having tamers.  They seem to over power every class. 

Coming from an Old School UO tamer, I havn't found a game close to UO's taming.  

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

agreed no mmorpg apart frm old  CH in swg comes close