Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Out of top 100 game sales.

Comments

• VespersVespers Member Posts: 246
    Originally posted by Azrile

You are missing the point.
    In the first week.. Warhammer was in the top 10 of ALL games.. meaning it was selling a lot of copies. Now it is not in the top 100. This shows a drastic drop in box sales.
    This has nothing to do with 'comparisons' to other games.. it has everything to do about a drastic drop in sales.
    This week, warhammer is not selling anywhere near the number of boxes it sold in the first week.
    Let me put it his way.. 3 weeks ago I ran a marathon against 1000 people and came in 10 place, but I placed 2nd in my 'age bracket'. This week I ran another marathon against 1000 people and came in 200th place, but again, I placed 2nd in my 'age bracket'. Is it not easy to see that I did much much worse in the second race, even though my own little bracket remained the same?

Actually, It is expected that a newly released game will be a top selling game in the initial week of Launch. I could release a game called "Turds In A Box" and I would sell a fair amount in the first days of Launch before people start reporting that the game is a bunch of crap and then the sells will drop off the charts.

When you are looking at box sells you need to look at 2 different numbers.

Initial box sells and then consistant box sells.

The fact that WAR is still selling enough boxes to keep them as #2 in the MMO category means that the game is highly successful at this point.

OP is just confused about how to properly track a game's sells or he is just looking to cause some strife.

Do you honestly think that Mythic is concerned  by how WAR is selling compared to console games or non-online games? No, of course they arent.

As to your analogy, it is not accurate. To be more accurate you would have to have how many different age brackets were in the race, how many runners in each age bracket, what class of runners were in each race(in the first marathon, were you racing against alot of elderly or casual runners and the second marathon against alot of professional runners?)

You might as well say that in the first week of release, WAR sold more boxes than Ford had of new car sells, however, 3 weeks later, Ford sold more new cars than WAR sold of it game boxes. The comparison of the 2 means absolutely nothing, same as the thread that you initially posted because it had items in that list that had bearing on a PC MMO game.

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582
    Originally posted by Thachsanh

In the first week.. Warhammer was in the top 10 of ALL games.. meaning it was selling a lot of copies. Now it is not in the top 100. This shows a drastic drop in box sales.
    This has nothing to do with 'comparisons' to other games.. it has everything to do about a drastic drop in sales.
    This week, warhammer is not selling anywhere near the number of boxes it sold in the first week.
    Let me put it his way.. 3 weeks ago I ran a marathon against 1000 people and came in 10 place, but I placed 2nd in my 'age bracket'. This week I ran another marathon against 1000 people and came in 200th place, but again, I placed 2nd in my 'age bracket'. Is it not easy to see that I did much much worse in the second race, even though my own little bracket remained the same?

Your logic and analogy have a big problem. It has everything to do with comparison to other games. Your logic only apply if the same set of game were sold. The rank drop does not mean drastic drop in box sales. That logic is wrong. The rank drop means something else got more attention. When even expansion is consider in that chart, what games will be able to compete with WOTLK? With the extablish of user base, WoW will make everything else looks small because millions of people will buy WOTLK. And also Fallout 3 is coming out and many more console games that catch more attention than PC games ever do.

Let me put it this way, 3 weeks ago, you ran a marathon 1000 people came in 10 place. You place 2nd in your 'age bracker'. This week you ran another marathon against 1000 people but 290 younger, champion, record breaker, professional athelete join in, but again, you placed 2nd in your age bracket. Do you see the different? YOU DO NOT PERFORM WORSE THAN YOU DID BEFORE. The competition field change and does not reflect your true performance anymore.

Yep.. actually the truth is probably in the middle of our analogy's somehwere.  Yes, the new releases have an advantage.. but there really haven't been that many of them in the past two weeks, and certainly not 1/4 of all games like you use.  You have Wrath, Fallout (4 boxes), and this bigsmallplanet thing.   The vast majority of the games that Warhammer is now selling less than are games that have been out  longer than warhammer.

I apologize, I didn't mean to be deceptive, but I just feel that when determining a games sales, it is better to use the widest possible yardstick.

• GrayhGrayh Member Posts: 123

Obviously the first week a new game comes out gives it the advantage. Overall though, I'd say that sales are still at a healthy figure. Here are two more that just came out...

The software sales chart for Spain follows:

* 1. FIFA 09 (PS3)

* 2. FIFA 09 (Xbox 360)

* 3. FIFA 09 (PS2)

* 4. Wii Fit (Wii)

* 5. Wii Play (Wii)

* 6. Mario Kart Wii (Wii)

* 7. FIFA 09 (PSP)

* 8. Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (PS3)

* 9. FIFA 09 (PC)

* 10. Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning (PC)

The software sales chart for Germany follows:

* 1. FIFA 09 (PS3)

* 2. FIFA 09 (PS2)

* 3. FIFA 09 (Xbox 360)

* 4. FIFA 09 (PC)

* 5. Sacred 2: Fallen Angel (PC)

* 6. Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning (PC)

* 7. Sacred 2: Fallen Angel Collector's Edition (PC)

* 8. Wii Fit (Wii)

* 9. Mario Kart Wii (Wii)

* 10. Crysis Warhead (PC)

• PheacePheace Member Posts: 2,408
    Originally posted by grunty

Yet it's # 9 for PC games. Five of which are pre-orders and three of those five are for the same game, Fallout 3.
    And yet, again, for online PC games it's #2 after, again, a pre-order game WoW:Wrath of the Lich King. So it's actually the # 1 selling non pre-order on-line PC game going.
    And another edit:  That "top 100 game sales" actually includes 29 pieces of hardware.  You know, things like game consoles, cable sets, console controllers, and time cards.
    You really need to bone up on your investigative skills OP.

Lol, you do realize MMO competition in general is ... almost 0 right? And a preorder for an expansion for a MMO , a preorder that's been out for quite some time now, is beating the sales in that chart.

Granted it's WOW so that's hard to compare anything against. But what are you left with then? There's no other MMO's coming out anywhere near this so of course it beats other mmo's on the chart. Only thing you can do to compare to other MMO's is to see how long they topped the chart when *they* were released.

And in that sense nothing's gonna beat WoW for years to come probably, it's still on there every month surprisingly.

Originally posted by Raiz1

They've made $35mil on box sales alone, and if they keep even 500k subs that's another $82mil+.
    You perspective is that the game is floundering. The pespective of those playing  and are happy is that it has yet to flourish.
    What no one is saying is that Mythic/EA is already on schedule to make a decent ROI based on initial numbers alone. This is a cash business folks, that means that by this time next year, unless the game shuts down completely, they will have the capital to do whatever they want to expand the game.
    Who cares about box sales now.

Just to point out.. this is completely wrong.   EA will probably get about 20% of initial box sales in NA, and slightly less than 20% in Europe.   With the sales so far, EA is probably going to make about $9M in box sales.   And the same thing happens with subscription fees. The industry average is about 60% cost just to keep servers up and pay for bandwidth and that doens't include customer service and development.

• Keeper2000Keeper2000 Member UncommonPosts: 637
    Originally posted by Pheace

Yet it's # 9 for PC games. Five of which are pre-orders and three of those five are for the same game, Fallout 3.
    And yet, again, for online PC games it's #2 after, again, a pre-order game WoW:Wrath of the Lich King. So it's actually the # 1 selling non pre-order on-line PC game going.
    And another edit:  That "top 100 game sales" actually includes 29 pieces of hardware.  You know, things like game consoles, cable sets, console controllers, and time cards.

Lol, you do realize MMO competition in general is ... almost 0 right? And a preorder for an expansion for a MMO , a preorder that's been out for quite some time now, is beating the sales in that chart.

Granted it's WOW so that's hard to compare anything against. But what are you left with then? There's no other MMO's coming out anywhere near this so of course it beats other mmo's on the chart. Only thing you can do to compare to other MMO's is to see how long they topped the chart when *they* were released.

And in that sense nothing's gonna beat WoW for years to come probably, it's still on there every month surprisingly.

We should compare too WoW's basic box against WAR's boxes.  Expansions are bought by people that already have the game (not new accounts).  In there WAR is selling more than WoW (which is expected... we will see in a couple of months how things develop)... WAR is #2 for now and WoW is #6 (in the online PC games category, which is, imo, the one that matters more).

Although WoW sells by digital download too, dont they (I mean you can just by the key)?  And there must be people restarting their subs because of the xpac and just becuase they want to play it again.  This is not in Amazon chart, obviously.

Originally posted by Keeper2000

We should compare too WoW's basic box against WAR's boxes.  Expansions are bought by people that already have the game (not new accounts).  In there WAR is selling more than WoW (which is expected... we will see in a couple of months how things develop).

Although WoW sells by digital download too, dont they (I mean you can just by the key)?  And there must be people restarting their subs because of the xpac and just becuase they want to play it again.  This is not in Amazon chart, obviously.

Yes.. it *is* outselling WoW in that chart (disregarding online sales) ... but that game is what, over 4 years old by now for crying out loud? ... I mean seriously ! .. That's hardly a feat to be proud of xD

• DarcknyghtDarcknyght Member Posts: 127

this by far is the weakest seeing as WoW battlechest isnt pre-order and is beating this game. Think why is this game letting WoW beat it...... No dont worry ill wait.

WoW battlechest is number 4 and its playable now FYI.

• DarcknyghtDarcknyght Member Posts: 127
    Originally posted by Grayh

Obviously the first week a new game comes out gives it the advantage. Overall though, I'd say that sales are still at a healthy figure. Here are two more that just came out...

The software sales chart for Spain follows:
    * 1. FIFA 09 (PS3)

* 2. FIFA 09 (Xbox 360)

* 3. FIFA 09 (PS2)

* 4. Wii Fit (Wii)

* 5. Wii Play (Wii)

* 6. Mario Kart Wii (Wii)

* 7. FIFA 09 (PSP)

* 8. Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (PS3)

* 9. FIFA 09 (PC)

* 10. Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning (PC)

The software sales chart for Germany follows:
    * 1. FIFA 09 (PS3)

* 2. FIFA 09 (PS2)

* 3. FIFA 09 (Xbox 360)

* 4. FIFA 09 (PC)

* 5. Sacred 2: Fallen Angel (PC)

* 6. Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning (PC)

* 7. Sacred 2: Fallen Angel Collector's Edition (PC)

* 8. Wii Fit (Wii)

* 9. Mario Kart Wii (Wii)

* 10. Crysis Warhead (PC)

Lets find numbers for US and Asia please. Euro numbers are weak. No offense but your land doesnt buy games like Americans and Asians.

• Keeper2000Keeper2000 Member UncommonPosts: 637

Originally posted by Keeper2000

We should compare too WoW's basic box against WAR's boxes.  Expansions are bought by people that already have the game (not new accounts).  In there WAR is selling more than WoW (which is expected... we will see in a couple of months how things develop).

Yes.. it *is* outselling WoW in that chart (disregarding online sales) ... but that game is what, over 4 years old by now for crying out loud? ... I mean seriously ! .. That's hardly a feat to be proud of xD

I agree.

If WoW will ever lose some market share, it wont happen in one month neither.  It will take WAR or any other MMO months, maybe years, to do it.  If any MMO ever does it.  Most probably, WoW will die because of aging than anything else.

Personally, I dont expect neither I want WoW to die.  I just wish for more competition, which is the only thing that will bring us (the gamers) better quality products.

Imo, WAR release was, technical and commercially, a success one.  Now, we will have to see if Mythic can fix all the main problems with the game.  The clock is ticking.  They had been doing good so far, lets see if they can keep it up :)

• MampiMampi Member UncommonPosts: 83

I don't know what point your trying to make with this thread OP. Maybe you think the more copies a game sells, the better a game is. By that logic Fifa is the best game of all time because it sells so much.

I wish people like you would stop trolling this forum so we could have some constructive threads for once.

Face it, you have nothing to gain or lose whether this game suceeds or fails.

• ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931

For those predicting 'growth' in Warhammer over the next few months...
    Warhammer has now dropped completely out of the top 100 of video game sales.  It was #1 for about 3 days, then held in the top ten for another week, then hovered in the 50 and 60s for two weeks.. but now it's no longer listed on the main games page.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/videogames/ref=pd_ts_vg_ldr_videogames
    Not nearly enough box sales to replace the 25ish% that Warhammer will lose in a few days when the free month is up, and another non-small loss when Wrath launches.
    The critical mass needed for RvR is not being met on most servers, and isn't likely to be met any time soon.

Sad but true. Its something they just cant fix in month or two. Its going to take time. Its easy to level now, at level 20 you have tons of money to buy your mount then .. lol yeah..then buy what? Beta was a blast but scenarios took over and though there ok its just killing RVR.

• coomscooms Member Posts: 219

when blizzard drops a release date for the expansion im sure that stopped a lot of wow players from even thinking of trying it.

Originally posted by Mampi

I don't know what point your trying to make with this thread OP. Maybe you think the more copies a game sells, the better a game is. By that logic Fifa is the best game of all time because it sells so much.

I wish people like you would stop trolling this forum so we could have some constructive threads for once.
    Face it, you have nothing to gain or lose whether this game suceeds or fails.

The point I'm trying to make is obvious, and I stated it in my first post.    Warhammer is mostly an RvR game.  That is where the majority of the dev time went. and that is where the 'sustainability' is.   This game simply was not built for players to do 40man PVE raids as it's main focus.

RvR has a critical mass.  If the critical mass drops too low, RvR just doesn't happen.  You already see this on many of the servers.. there aren't enough people in the RvR lakes to have a true RvR game.  Players are stuck doing scenario grinds.

Some people keep saying that things will get better because new players will fill up the servers and even out the faction inbalances.  This is just not happening.  New players are not buying boxes.   RvR lakes will continue to get less and less populated after the free month is over and again when Wrath launches.  There are not enough box sales to replace those players that are leaving.

Warhammer is RvR.. RvR requires a critical mass of players.... Many servers right now don't have that critical mass...  based on box sales, that isn't going to change and could even get worse.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945
    Let me put it this way, 3 weeks ago, you ran a marathon 1000 people came in 10 place. You place 2nd in your 'age bracker'. This week you ran another marathon against 1000 people but 290 younger, champion, record breaker, professional athelete join in, but again, you placed 2nd in your age bracket. Do you see the different? YOU DO NOT PERFORM WORSE THAN YOU DID BEFORE. The competition field change and does not reflect your true performance anymore.

So your point is that Warhammer is still selling as many copies, because there have been 90+ other software titles that were released in the last few weeks that are selling better?

I am not a software sales guru by any means, but I'm pretty sure Warhammer is a rock star of a title that is selling very well for a PC game. It even beat out spore if I am correct.  

However, it is very unlikely that Warhammer is still selling the same amount it did a few weeks ago and it has only been pushed off the charts by a sudden influx of 90+ other games selling even more than pre-October Warhammer did.  It just doesn't make any sense at all.  Honestly how many copies of Nancy Drew do you think sold to rank higher than Warhammer?

Not that I put a terrible amount of confidence in amazon sales charts to begin with or publisher statements of "accounts created" instead of actual current subscribers.  Both are filled with terrible amounts of speculation and open to interpretation. 

Originally posted by Daffid011

So your point is that Warhammer is still selling as many copies, because there have been 90+ other software titles that were released in the last few weeks that are selling better?

I am not a software sales guru by any means, but I'm pretty sure Warhammer is a rock star of a title that is selling very well for a PC game. It even beat out spore if I am correct.  

However, it is very unlikely that Warhammer is still selling the same amount it did a few weeks ago and it has only been pushed off the charts by a sudden influx of 90+ other games selling even more than pre-October Warhammer did.  It just doesn't make any sense at all.  Honestly how many copies of Nancy Drew do you think sold to rank higher than Warhammer?

Not that I put a terrible amount of confidence in amazon sales charts to begin with or publisher statements of "accounts created" instead of actual current subscribers.  Both are filled with terrible amounts of speculation and open to interpretation. 

That was only for one week, the next week of the sales chart showed spore outselling WAR already.

Also MMO sales especially do a strong burst sale around release time. Games like Spore will be selling in numbers for months to come.

The number of new games released in the past two weeks is less than a handful.  Warhammer is falling behind games that were out a long time.

Warhammer sold less copies this week then Animal Crossing:City Folk.

Does anyone really think the game can 'grow' with sales that low.

• Random_mageRandom_mage Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

Let me get this straight..

A brand new game is released.. Much like an awesome car.. we'll say.. and sales pick up.. but in the end.. everyone is back to buying hondas??  By your logic, a good movie that has a great opening weekend is WORSE than it's competition released weeks later?? .. Face it.. your are a troll.

Oh.. and I loved the other comparision

"WAR hammer is an RvR game.  It's not a PvE game with 40 main raids" 

Thanks!! Here I was thinking.. Where is the PvE in my RvR game??   Next your gonna tell me a geo metro isn't designed to go 150 miles an hour..  Anything else obvious you want to state? 

Oh.. I'll go first!! The ocean is big!!

OH oh!! Umm.. Lets see..

American Money is green.

Oho. oh. I'm good at this..

.. Move on troll.. you aren't needed here. 

Currently playing Real Life..

http://i36.tinypic.com/2uyod3k.gif

For all your stalking needs..
    http://www.plurk.com/Random_

• battleaxe22battleaxe22 Member UncommonPosts: 303

this proves the game is just hype ...no quality at all

• slask777slask777 Member Posts: 706

WAR is doomed....DOOOOMED I tells ya!

Go troll elsewhere.

---
    Grammar nazi's. This one is for you.

• TheSheikhTheSheikh Member Posts: 804

Originally posted by TheSheikh

Try linking the PC games bestsellers, rather than including every other video game on the market to make things seem the sky is falling and Mythic is curling up in the fetal position.
    The Warhammer Online : Age of Reckoning SE is ranked at #9 in PC game sales.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/videogames/229575/ref=pd_ts_vg_nav

In the first week..  Warhammer was in the top 10 of ALL games..  meaning it was selling a lot of copies.  Now it is not in the top 100.  This shows a drastic drop in box sales.

Let me put it his way..    3 weeks ago I ran a marathon against 1000 people and came in 10 place, but I placed 2nd in my 'age bracket'.     This week I ran another marathon against 1000 people and came in 200th place, but again, I placed 2nd in my 'age bracket'.    Is it not easy to see that I did much much worse in the second race, even though my own little bracket remained the same?

The game released three weeks ago, alot of people purchased it at release and now not as many people are buying because the launch has subsided.

It doesn't take a fucking rocket scientist to figure that out.

STOP WHINING!

• checkthis500checkthis500 Member Posts: 1,236

The number of new games released in the past two weeks is less than a handful.  Warhammer is falling behind games that were out a long time.

It depends on the turnover rate.

If war sells only a thousand copies a week, and 500 people cancel their sub every week, then the game is still growing.

On Amazon.com WAR is sitting at number 3 for PC games, and the CE is sitting at number 8.

At bestbuy.com WAR is sitting at number 1 for new releases.

At ebgames.com WAR is sitting at around 20.

Ultimately yes the game is still growing as long as more users are registering for the game than are cancelling their subscription. 

---------------------------------------------
    I live to fight, and fight to live.

Try linking the PC games bestsellers, rather than including every other video game on the market to make things seem the sky is falling and Mythic is curling up in the fetal position.
    The Warhammer Online : Age of Reckoning SE is ranked at #9 in PC game sales.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/videogames/229575/ref=pd_ts_vg_nav

In the first week..  Warhammer was in the top 10 of ALL games..  meaning it was selling a lot of copies.  Now it is not in the top 100.  This shows a drastic drop in box sales.

Let me put it his way..    3 weeks ago I ran a marathon against 1000 people and came in 10 place, but I placed 2nd in my 'age bracket'.     This week I ran another marathon against 1000 people and came in 200th place, but again, I placed 2nd in my 'age bracket'.    Is it not easy to see that I did much much worse in the second race, even though my own little bracket remained the same?

The game released three weeks ago, alot of people purchased it at release and now not as many people are buying because the launch has subsided.

It doesn't take a fucking rocket scientist to figure that out.

It's not that less people are buying it now then were buying it the first week.. its that almost nobody is buying it now.  Look at the games that sold more units this week and you'll see how few people bought the Warhammer box.  And again... RvR is already lacking on most servers.. with lower populations it will be even worse.

• PelaajaPelaaja Member Posts: 697

I've stalked these forums for a while, but you made me create an account just because you are too obvious.

What is your Agenda? What is it? You can come right out and tell us, because you're spoiling the forum space with your agenda. Why not telling us what is it?

Pete-boy, here's figures for you: www.custompc.co.uk/news/601755/top-10-pc-games-chart.html

That is boxes and digitalmedia sales included, I think.

Yes, like WoW it's sold as a downloadable too. Amazing, isn't it.

I'm sure you will question that european ranking, so here's a NA ranking for you: news.portalit.net/fullnews_spore-still-king-of-the-us-charts_1652.html

Yes, Spore is the king of the hill. And yes, it's from last week because later information isn't available.

After this evidence, I ask you again Peter. What is your Agenda?

• scribe331scribe331 Member Posts: 71

Your logic and analogy have a big problem. It has everything to do with comparison to other games. Your logic only apply if the same set of game were sold. The rank drop does not mean drastic drop in box sales. That logic is wrong. The rank drop means something else got more attention. When even expansion is consider in that chart, what games will be able to compete with WOTLK? With the extablish of user base, WoW will make everything else looks small because millions of people will buy WOTLK. And also Fallout 3 is coming out and many more console games that catch more attention than PC games ever do.

Yep.. actually the truth is probably in the middle of our analogy's somehwere.  Yes, the new releases have an advantage.. but there really haven't been that many of them in the past two weeks, and certainly not 1/4 of all games like you use.  You have Wrath, Fallout (4 boxes), and this bigsmallplanet thing.   The vast majority of the games that Warhammer is now selling less than are games that have been out  longer than warhammer.

I apologize, I didn't mean to be deceptive, but I just feel that when determining a games sales, it is better to use the widest possible yardstick.

I hope you didn't mean to give misleading information but ... you did.  So im concluding either you are a liar or you are stupid.

Usually i would call people that make doom and gloom statements and provide misleading information liars but I will give you the benefit of the doubt.