Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Save a MMORPG

alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

Lets imagine you won the lotto or you just found a bag full of money, no matter what,  you are rich, you have so much money you decide to save one mmorpg. Your aim is to buy it, hire a lot of developers and make it what it should be or what it could be.

Wich one will you choose and what changes will you make?

Comments

• powerbaitpowerbait Member Posts: 113

I would have to buy out Turbine's Asheron's Call series 1 and 2.  Bring back AC2 for those that no longer have it to play allow them to continue down the path they were.  As for AC1, I would make what everyone who has played / still plays, would want AC1.5.  Basically and updated graphical interface with the same system the game uses now.  I think that is what is missing in our mmo's these days, not enough to keep players going back, there was just so much to do.

------------------------------
    We don't have a great war in our generation, or a great depression, but we do, we have a great war of the spirit. We have a great revolution against the culture. The great depression is our lives.
    ~Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

• CaesarsGhostCaesarsGhost Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136

build my own... it'd likely be cheaper, and easier, then spending a year figuring out somebody elses old, poorly documented, game.

Just cause it made sense on the surface, doesn't mean that underneath is crystal clear.  It's been my professional experience that sometimes it'd take more work to change somebody elses MMO then make a new one from scratch.

- CaesarsGhost

Lead Gameplay and Gameworld Designer for a yet unnamed MMO Title.
    "When people tell me designing a game is easy, I try to get them to design a board game. Most people don't last 5 minutes, the rest rarely last more then a day. The final few realize it's neither fun nor easy."

• batolemaeusbatolemaeus Member CommonPosts: 2,061

Wurm online.

I'd buy CCP, buy Mojang, and put them in a blender.
    Eve can stay as it is, i'd probably half the subs by changing it into a real hardcore world (yes, even more) and throw out the nanowhiners (the people who whine about having their imbalanced ships removed, mind you). Then i'd put some artists and 3d people onto Wurm online, and develop it into an Eve On Ground.

Voila.

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

i think 90% of the post here will be

1)bring back swg pr-cu

2)bring back eq classic servers :)

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• xaldraxiusxaldraxius Member Posts: 1,249

Originally posted by powerbait
    I would have to buy out Turbine's Asheron's Call series 1 and 2.  Bring back AC2 for those that no longer have it to play allow them to continue down the path they were.  As for AC1, I would make what everyone who has played / still plays, would want AC1.5.  Basically and updated graphical interface with the same system the game uses now.  I think that is what is missing in our mmo's these days, not enough to keep players going back, there was just so much to do.

Hell yeah. Asheron's Call all the way. Updated graphics, new quests and monthly events where I personally would roleplay the antagonist. AC had a lot of great things going for it...I really miss that game.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    Originally posted by alakram

Lets imagine you won the lotto or you just found a bag full of money, no matter what,  you are rich, you have so much money you decide to save one mmorpg. Your aim is to buy it, hire a lot of developers and make it what it should be or what it could be.

Lineage 2

I would get rid of the Vitality System

Invest in revamping lower lvl areas and lower to mid lvl pvp

I would incorporate 2 alternate rules servers one for controlled pvp areas and one for lower death rate, higher xp rate, lvl cap 52. Just a fast sign on and beat the heck out of each other type of server.

I would get rid of the sin eater or at least limit its use.

I would invest in more dynamic types of raids and not just have a Raid boss standing around with a sign over its head indicating Raid Boss Monster.. *rolls eyes*

I would change the leveling so it reflected C2/C3 rates but as I said, I would revitalize the lower lvl experience, and even include lower lvl pvp that also affected the greater world.

I would change the failure (in my opinion) of the Seven signs competition. If you are a Castle owner you are Dawn or can sell a limited amount of Dawn Certs for allies. Otherwise you are only Dusk. You want Mammon? You work for him.

Revamp all the quests as they are horribly written.

Make it so you can't gate hop. Hate that. You strike someone you are flagged for something like 30 seconds no matter where you are.

If you are in a war you can't just drop it. You have to have a mutual drop between clans with an acknowledment of Win, Lose or Draw

That's just a start. Oh, and more customization options for Armor and weapons as well as cosmetic.

Change dwarves so that they aren't all creepy old men who are obviously pariing with cute little girls!

Make it so that if you attack someone who is leagues below you in a starter area you have a chance t(albeit small) to be obliterated by the gods (I love when players say that good pvp has risks yet they only attack lower lvl players who can't fight back). Having said that I would lower the or remove the blessing that makes you immune to pvp.

more events including PvP events. Also an inter-server pvp competition like the "one" we had years ago.

That's just off the top of my head.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Lineage 2

I would incorporate 2 alternate rules servers one for controlled pvp areas and one for lower death rate, higher xp rate, lvl cap 52. Just a fast sign on and beat the heck out of each other type of server.

I would invest in more dynamic types of raids and not just have a Raid boss standing around with a sign over its head indicating Raid Boss Monster.. *rolls eyes*

I would change the leveling so it reflected C2/C3 rates but as I said, I would revitalize the lower lvl experience, and even include lower lvl pvp that also affected the greater world.

I would change the failure (in my opinion) of the Seven signs competition. If you are a Castle owner you are Dawn or can sell a limited amount of Dawn Certs for allies. Otherwise you are only Dusk. You want Mammon? You work for him.

Make it so you can't gate hop. Hate that. You strike someone you are flagged for something like 30 seconds no matter where you are.

If you are in a war you can't just drop it. You have to have a mutual drop between clans with an acknowledment of Win, Lose or Draw

That's just a start. Oh, and more customization options for Armor and weapons as well as cosmetic.

Change dwarves so that they aren't all creepy old men who are obviously pariing with cute little girls!

Make it so that if you attack someone who is leagues below you in a starter area you have a chance t(albeit small) to be obliterated by the gods (I love when players say that good pvp has risks yet they only attack lower lvl players who can't fight back). Having said that I would lower the or remove the blessing that makes you immune to pvp.

more events including PvP events. Also an inter-server pvp competition like the "one" we had years ago.

yes all that.

i was going to say lineage 2 aswell...

but i had a feeling that you would post here...so i just wauted

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

I'd either figure out a way to make Dark Age of Camelot what it once was or make DAoC 2.  WAR didn't do it for me and I have a feeling it's the same for at least a few other DAoC players.

That or actually go out on a limb and try to find someone who's willing to help me make something unique or original.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164
    Originally posted by SgtFrog

i think 90% of the post here will be

1)bring back swg pr-cu

2)bring back eq classic servers :)

naw, lets leave those games dead and burried. R.I.P.

The time is gone and you can't relive those glory days with the people you met unless you can build a time machine, which in my oppinion would be a better use for the money.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Originally posted by SgtFrog

yes all that.
    i was going to say lineage 2 aswell...

but i had a feeling that you would post here...so i just wauted

lol

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• ForcanForcan Member UncommonPosts: 700

Save one? .... Nah.

I would invest to build my own, with systems similar to that of the Pre-CU SWG, and the game background story and other stuff will be what I believe will work.

Current MMO: FFXIV:ARR

Past MMO: Way too many (P2P and F2P)

Originally posted by Forcan

Save one? .... Nah.
    I would invest to build my own, with systems similar to that of the Pre-CU SWG, and the game background story and other stuff will be what I believe will work.

Oh, that's an idea. Build our own. I'm down with that.

• tarviktarvik Member UncommonPosts: 84

VSoH

First i would redo the character fighting animations , a worhtwhile open world pvp system from  land/water

an i would add all kinds of  group/raid encounters in the ocean that have to be done with boats

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301
    Originally posted by batolemaeus

Wurm online.
    I'd buy CCP, buy Mojang, and put them in a blender.

Eve can stay as it is, i'd probably half the subs by changing it into a real hardcore world (yes, even more) and throw out the nanowhiners (the people who whine about having their imbalanced ships removed, mind you). Then i'd put some artists and 3d people onto Wurm online, and develop it into an Eve On Ground.
    Voila.

This one looks like a really nice idea.

• TrissaTrissa Member Posts: 251
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Lineage 2

• ForumfallForumfall Member Posts: 570

I would buy funcom, shut down all servers and throw em out.

Then I would buy Aventurine and turn darkfall into something like hello kitty online.

• ScubiedudeScubiedude Member Posts: 38

I agree whole heartedly with Ac 1 people.I dont think there will ever be another game that is as well designed as far as game mechanics and playability.It had some flaws as every game does but when compared to other games in this genre they seem to fall short IMO.The game I think has died due to non promotion compared to EQ and other games ,old 99' graphics and the newer pretty but less content games.It was a heavy grinding game and was probably one of the slowest to level games until exp chains and macroing took over.The fact that people would spend a years on their characters made them very enthusiastic about their builds that the new 2 weeks to max level games of today dont have.Pretty sad really.If it was promoted better I think it would have done better than it did and maybe a newer AC would even be in the works.Funny thing is the majority of people who bad mouth the game (which is very few anyways),when you ask them if they ever played AC they say no.LOL, makes me laugh.There are a few games I have my eyes on right now but the bar is pretty high as far as I  am concerned with my 4 1/2 year experience with Ac.

Edit *   Also I think  Content/ Playabilty/Game Mechanics > Graphics ,any day of the week. I would much rather have a well playing game that has alot of well written quests ,seamless world and things to do than game that  has amazing graphics but poor design.After th OOhh and AHHh factor of the newer game subsides the ccntent and well designed game will keep people there and mostly happy other than class nerfing /ubering which is in every game. AOC is a perfect example of this .Sorry for the rant guys.

• DarkchronicDarkchronic Member Posts: 1,088

I'd get 100 EVE playing code monkeys to take Auto Assault and make it not suck.

Then I'd throw marshmallows at Richard Garriott.

---------------------------------------
    No Userbar here, sorry to disappoint.