Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Congrats, PS!

NagorlNagorl Member Posts: 7

When I first played PS like years ago, it was pretty shitty. Lots of RP nazis bitching about how to stay IC and stuff. However, the community got all better :). I now managed to get in game, even though I had some problems with the tutorial (But they got a walkthrough for the tutorial now, they even want to support multilingual support for spanish and germans so everyone can play the game speaking any language. Maybe PS will even get chinese farmers so we can buy equip?). So I did like the tutorial and was in game, and no RP nazis bitched around complaining about playing my character, I could really enjoy the game.Seems the GMs learned of their mistakes in the past and improved the game greatly.

Next, I saw some member of a cool named guild (Chaos something) cast this awesome flame spiral in the air! I was like wow !and wanted to find how to cast this myself, so I asked the person where to learn the skill. Next suprise! PS uses these things called glyphs (Reminds me of Runescape, one of my favourite games) to cast spells. But that guy wanted money, so I got money by mining platinum. I met some friends while mining platinum, people like to gather at the mines, like in WoW. Seems the Devs reintroduced some grinding for the players, as no game can go without grinding in my eyes. Makes becoming uber easier for newbies. So I mined a bit of platinum and sold it. I bought one of the glyphs needed to cast the flame spiral, but I didn't knew how to. So I joined this cool guild Elite Knights, and they were like really friendly to me. No bitching about things like roleplay and so on.

They told me how to level fast (:D), and I quickly got good at this game. Seems like PS is really trying to open up for average players like me! :). They even said that the last rp nazi guilds were slowly declining since we don't want them. Then I saw a cool gm event, we had to do lots of fighting and got a cool reward. The gms didn't bother that much about roleplay, so I could take part as well. I actually recommend everyone to try and play PS, it's like wow but FREE! The tutorial is a bit difficult, but once you got that you got a decent game where you can fight and train cool skills. Things like rp nazis are a thing of the past, people actually care about the mechanics (no uber strong mages without skills any more). I rate this game 9/10, but I'm sure it can improve a lot!

@Devs, good job to remove the rp nazis but give us some more skills!

Comments

• Poison_AdelePoison_Adele Member CommonPosts: 287

I came to PS for the roleplay, and love the community and the world and the roleplay we've been doing in IRC while the server's been down. I feel rather annoyed that you want the server to change just for you, when it had something beautiful and precious. Having had my own RP server, I know how it felt for myself and others when non-RPers came and tried to take our RP from us. Maybe you should be more respectful towards those who found this server their home and loved RPing there, only to have people like you come and ruin it. Why not just stick to Runescape?

• NagorlNagorl Member Posts: 7

Well, "PS is free for everyone to play and enjoy", according to their site. So you know better than the Devs? It's not a game for rp nazis like you, lol. Taking roleplay away from you isn't what I play, I want to play like I want. You can still ignore me any my friends, but then you'd be alone. I play a role as a miner and a warrior, so I roleplay, no?

Rp nazis spoil the fun for people like me, they should just go and play the game, which is quite good. They shouldn't nerf mechanics to suit those bitchy rp nazis, since people like me are the most active players.

According to other members it was originally an RP server, and much of the site focuses on RP, and many people have left the server they loved because of grinders.

You say this as if it was sad. Rp nazis are never good for a game, they bitch and whine about unnecessary changes all the time and spoil the fun. Better to have a good united community instead of bitchy rp nazis. As far as I can see from the official PS forum, it's the rp nazis bitching all the time, about how bad the devs are and what things they did to nerf the game for them. But I say good job Devs, continue!

You only say that because all that matters to you is levels and shiny items. To "RP Nazis", it's the story and the community that comes out of roleplay that matters. If you knew what you were talking about, you'd know how ridiculous your statement was.

I know what I'm talking about, I've played the game.  Is it truly disturbing to you that I say the game rocks? Lol? Everyone keeps bitching about how much Ps sucks, and I post that it does not, you immediately say that I'm wrong? Don't you want new players -.-?

If you say it's good by comparing it to Runescape, yes that's a bad thing. >_>; Everyone in irc GROANED at that.

Lol you mean the ppl with no real life that hang out on IRC all the time? I'd say they should rather go and do something else than hanging out on the internet when their server is off. I love PS, it is a really good game, your attitude won't spoil it for me -.-

It's cute that you can make assumptions about people, I've never seen that done before. :3 Perhaps if you think the game is so great (which I agree but because of the RPers, I couldn't care less about mechanics), you should stop insulting and assuming things about the players there.

I don't assume anything about people, it's fact that there are rp nazis that bitch all the time. Everyone of us had an experience like that when we played. And they tend to be annoying.

• AllolaAllola Member Posts: 2

Okay, first off, when you played Planeshift years ago. It sucked and didnt have any implemented stuff. Agreed. But "RP nazi's", I mean, comeon, arnt you taking this a bit extreme? All there was to do back then WAS roleplay. Secondly, the GameMasters (Gm's) didn't have any "Mistakes" Its an unfinished game, therefore, the game was improved, not demalished and redone, so, they wernt mistakes, more like, improvments.

Comparing PlaneShift to Runescape and WoW is -not- what we want. PS was -meant- for Roleplay, NOT powerlevelers. in my opinion, its nice to have the stats, so you can back up the roleplay with. But, JUST to stick to mechanics?...Its kinda boring. so if you want to do that, Stick to runescape, or WoW. kay?

{{QUOTE}} [[From Nagorl]]

"They even said that the last rp nazi guilds were slowly declining since we don't want them."

We do -want- roleplayers. so, you're obviously mistaken.

And telling "RP nazi's" They cant play PS is utterly stupid, Like you said "PS is free for everyone to play and enjoy" Quoting the last part, i belive it says "ENJOY" Well, We, roleplayers, cant enjoy the game with people comming up to us and typing "Lol" in the main chat with no brackets or indicating that it was meant to be OOC.

honestly, its great that you think PS rocks, But dont say Roleplayers dont belong there, Because, they -DO- belong there as it is a ROLEPLAYING GAME!

{{QUOTE}} [[From Nagorl]]

"I don't assume anything about people, it's fact that there are rp nazis that bitch all the time. Everyone of us had an experience like that when we played. And they tend to be annoying."

Everyone of "Us", eh? Who is us? I didnt have a problem when i played. And its people like "you" That tend to be annoying on Planeshift.

Please, stop complaining about the true players of PS. Thanks.

• AllolaAllola Member Posts: 2

Agreed Tuxide.

We need both roleplayers and Powerlevelers.  But it would be nice if the roleplayers powerleveled, and the powerlevers roleplayed. =]

Then we wouldnt have any arguments over who is better or anything.

I agree Tuxide--the problem comes when the powerlevelers are intent on disrespecting and ruining the games of the roleplayers. Or try to shove them out.

• UtMoonUtMoon Member Posts: 99
    Originally posted by Poison_Adele

I agree Tuxide--the problem comes when the powerlevelers are intent on disrespecting and ruining the games of the roleplayers. Or try to shove them out.

I would amend that to 'the problem comes when the powerlevelers OR roleplayers become intent on disrespecting and ruining the gameplay of the other side.'

As with any game, there are extremists on both sides. I have played beside RPes and PLers, and have had no problems with those that showed respect for the other. I have also had issues with both RPers and PLers who constantly tried to impose their way of playing on others (called Trolls and RPnazis, but seen by me as the same thing). Most players in PS play the leveling game as well as roleplay.

The only time your game can be ruined is if you let it be done to you. Report any intentional harassment from either side to a GM, and ignore the offenders as best you can until they are dealt with. In any other case, show your fellow players courtesy, understanding, and respect for their chosen style of play. This applies to all games.

Thanks for the "Congrats", Nagorl. We work hard to make the game fun for many types of players. Also thanks to Poison Adele for enjoying the roleplaying aspects of the game, which the Settings and GM team work equally hard at promoting.

I changed my mind. PlaneShift is not worth the time.

• ricma985ricma985 Member Posts: 84

Soo the way i see it this game has 2 factions:

1. Ppl who want to powerlevel... Dark side, ppl who would play the horde in WoW and

2. Ppl who roleplay: Elves... :)

So you can have wars between these two sides and settle it that way no?

I've played this game six or seven months ago and couldnt go further than tutorial, cuz dwarf women didnt respond at my "hi" or "give me a quest" wit or without "please" so i was annoyed by that. Ill try it again toonight :)

• HiraghmHiraghm Member Posts: 39

I find it difficult to roleplay in Planeshift, since I play a kran and I don't know what language they speak, or even if they speak. I also play a dwarf, but I don't know their language either.

For all I know, the inhabitants of yliakum (let's just string some vowels and consonants randomly, shall we?) speak "street" English, or Latin.

"et tu, Homie?"

Now, it may be printed in one of the books in the "library" (I use the term loosely, as I've not seen a building with that specific designation outside, and the one place I did find books looked more like a crofter's hut, and I wonder at the parallel architecture in a place that's never been to medieval Europe... so much for rp) what the kran et al speak, but as I logged into a game to play rather than read (I'm odd; I also don't open a book to play a video game, go figure,) I may have missed it.

If I had any great criticism of PS, it would be of the chat / user interface. Other than that, I'd rate it at late beta Everquest level... say circa 1998.

• HiraghmHiraghm Member Posts: 39

ricma, be sure to check the various tabs above the chat window. If, for example, the normal tab is active, and you say hello to an npc, the response will appear if you click the npc tab. The tab should start flashing if you have incoming npc text, but it sometimes takes a bit, I guess due to lag issues.