Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Leveling speed is a joke, seriously!

124»

Comments

• Riho06Riho06 Member Posts: 431

It's a pretty common rule with MMOs, you will find grouping easier and engage in more PvP on a higher Pop server. Not really sure what the issue here is, does someone really have to spell it out for those who haven't played enough MMOs?

And yes, powerleveling is pointless in this game thankfully. Enjoy the ride and don't worry about the fact that you don't reach Rank 40 in a week. This isn't a single player game where you brag to your friends about how quickly you 'beat' a game.

• KroggKrogg Member Posts: 480

• verndvernd Member Posts: 600
    Originally posted by Riho06

It's a pretty common rule with MMOs, you will find grouping easier and engage in more PvP on a higher Pop server. Not really sure what the issue here is, does someone really have to spell it out for those who haven't played enough MMOs?

The point that you, and many other people seem to be ignoring is that the game is FUCKED UP on low pop servers. Get a group? There are no groups. Get a guild? That's better, but on some servers even guilds are limited in number with sparse activity and due to overall low population, scenario queues can take a long time (2-3 hour wait) and RVR in the world is virtually non-existant. Sure you could take a small group around and kill the NPCs guarding keeps and camps, but how many of us came to WAR for PVE?

There's no way around it. Your gaming experience is largely dependant on population-- and that is a problem. Mythic probably opened too many servers right at the start.

When players are telling someone to reroll to a different server, it means there is a very real problem with so much of this game's content being dependant on healthy server populations.

• fuzzylojikfuzzylojik Member Posts: 432
    Originally posted by vernd

It's funny to see all the people in this thread thinking they are defending the game when they say "get a guild! reroll to high pop! you're crazy for playing on low pop!"
    All you're doing is proving how broken this game is unless your server has a balanced population, which by definition only exists on extremely high pop or full servers.

I'm not sure that's accurate.  I'm on a high population server and the game is fun for me and I play order (currently level 37) on the underpopulated side and do not have a guild.  Instant scenario pops are always fun.  sure they really need to do some tweaking for realm imbalance or risk having problems in the future but I'm having tons of fun atm.

Same thing for other games, I rolled on low pop servers and it was boring to me because of the lack of people and social interaction.  But then again it was the same in every single MMO I played so don't see the difference here.

• verndvernd Member Posts: 600
    Originally posted by fuzzylojik

It's funny to see all the people in this thread thinking they are defending the game when they say "get a guild! reroll to high pop! you're crazy for playing on low pop!"
    All you're doing is proving how broken this game is unless your server has a balanced population, which by definition only exists on extremely high pop or full servers.

I'm not sure that's accurate.  I'm on a high population server and the game is fun for me

Same thing for other games, I rolled on low pop servers and it was boring to me because of the lack of people and social interaction

Exactly my point. The game falls apart with low populations. The fact that this happens in other games as well does not mitigate the failure. Certain other games have an advantage over WAR in this area because much of the content in those games is not so group-dependant. This decision Mythic made is a double-edged sword and it is hurting the game under certain circumstances. Mythic jumped the gun with the number of servers that they opened.

In the slim chance that someone is reading this who is thinking about purchasing the game, make sure you roll on a server with high/high population or the game experience will be pretty lackluster.

• abyss610abyss610 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,131

actually one of the things i like the most about war is the slower lvling.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566
    Originally posted by elgermo

Originally posted by DarkPony

It never ceases to amaze me how people can totally miss an OP's point or react on a title alone because of being too lazy to read the actual post and having an uncontrollable urge to yap, yap, yap, yap, yap ...

Warhammer = partially leveling by PvP as in: Scenario's

Scenario's = not happening on OP's server

OP = forced to grind for long times to level

OP doesn't care how long it takes to level, as long as it is fun. As in: as long as OP can participate in an occasional scenario and get some good XP in a fun way.

Got it?

Yeah, that's what I read... you churched it up some, but basically I got the same thing. "QQ just playing is a grind. It's too hard to level".  There's so much to do, even on a slow / low pop server that to call it a grind is silly...... Quest, PQ, Open RvR.... I'm really surprised that CRAFTING doesn't yield xp! What else could anyone want? Take it how ya like... yap yap yap!

What I meant with "Warhammer = partially leveling by pvp, as in: Scenario's", would be; the game is designed with that in mind. The mentioning of those other non-xp rewarded activities is totally beside the point. If there are no scenario's to do, the leveling slows down tremendously since the xp rewards of a few scenario's a day were always calculated in, in determining a reasonable pace of progress.

That was the OP's point. And I fully understand that; 1-20 with a few scenario's a day took me as long as 21-25 without a single scenario.

It doesn't bug me personally that much, I like a long road to reap my rewards, but it's annoying sometimes to turn in 5 quests and barely see your xp bar move and having no scenario's to do to in order to have a break from the PvE.

I have done pretty much all quests in T3 greenskin and almost done in T3 chaos at the start of level 25.

• rafmeisterrafmeister Member Posts: 69
    Originally posted by DAS1337

Originally posted by peteski123

Originally posted by Meridion

Ok guys, I tend to defend this game usually, but what I encounter now at level 25+ is a joke:
    Didn't Mythic state that leveling to 40 was - in this game - just the path to the real RvR/PvP experience that comes with level 40 and renown ranks? Didn't they say leveling was pretty fast?
    How exactly does Mythic define the term "pretty fast"? granted, I'm on a mid (MID,  not low) population server and on destruction, so I can't constantly scenario away, and I can't finish public quests because there are no people for it and no LFG to ask for people to join in. So what I CAN do to level up is quests, uum, quests, and umm, grind. Kick RvR, even in a heated battle you gain only by slain enemies, which is a joke, because you get mini portions of XY from killing people and it takes for - ever to gain a level.And by forever I mean theoretically DAYS of played time. It speaks volumes that nobody even does it, leveling only through RvR, everyone, and I'm on an open RvR server, says they go back to PvE when a siege is over.

Now this boils down to: RvR in peak times when RvR happens, PvE most of the time. And PvE boils down to "finish all quests" and change to different campaign area.
    Before I get to the meat of this rant, let me say that I initially didn't want to play all three campaigns simulatenously but am ultimately forced by this:

Why the hell on earth does level 28 take about 100 quests to complete? And there are not 100, there are 40 in one level-area, throughout all three campaigns, at best. The rest of the time you can see if someone - with luck - does a public quest. If not, you are screwed and doomed to grind - your teeth as well as mobs.
    I don't know how it may be in high population wonderland where you can join a scenario every 5 minutes. But on a mid populated server I am literally forced to grind if I want to advance -> That's a JOKE, it defies all you, Mythic, said during the whole development period. You said one could level without grinding. Thanks.
    M

rofl

what the heck has happened to propper gamers,

I made 25-30 in a couple days and I did just quests SOLO...  sheesh if you Really think its a grind you should give up mmo's as WAR is a joke with no real mature content and so easy to lvl even without scenarios its a joke

I guess if you have no job and your mom does everything for you... then you'd have 20 hours a day to play.  At around rank 20, quests only give you 2-3% of your level.  Now, maybe you could get to 20 in 3-4 days of being an uber nerd, but 30 is an impossibility unless you work for a leveling service, in which you work in shifts.

They need to drop the xp you get from scenarios.. so that you're forced to go out and PvE because you're renown doesn't go higher than your XP.  Which would help populate the RvR lakes in turn.

Heh leveling in this game makes WOW leveling look like a crawl, which it most certainly isn't. Just over 2 days played here and I am almost level 22. There are 2 reasons why I am not already in my mid thirties with the same play time. 1. almost no  PVP as I play during off peak hours and 2. I have taken some time to explore. 

To any oldschool vet who knows how to manage their time and maximize their experience per hour this game poses no challenge from a leveling standpoint.  Or any challenge at all for that matter.

• MeridionMeridion Member UncommonPosts: 1,495
    Originally posted by DoktorTeufel

So uh, the person complaining about WAR's leveling speed has an EVE avatar?
    It takes a month (of waiting in IRL hours) before you can even participate in zerg PvP in that game.
    It takes 3-6 months to be ready for meaningful PvP.
    Until then, mostly you're grinding cash.

No you don't, and that's the point here.

In EvE, you could join a corp and start having fun from day 1. In fact everyone that starts to grind in EvE quits it after a short while...

As I said before (and 90% in this thread deliberately ignore): It's not the leveling speed, it's the fact that you have to grind yetis to get levels.

Also, MYTHIC has to manage their server population; if they had only opened up 1 server and there were queues of 3 hours to get in, you would agree. But as it is mid pop servers don't bother you so all you say is "your fault sorry". A company is responsible for their product, if I poison a charge of coke and hand it to the customers I can't blame the consumer for not double checking. I wanna ply destruction and RVR/RP-ruleset. Period. Population is a problem on ALL of these servers. it's MYTHICS part to fix that, not mine.

M

• SikhanderSikhander Member UncommonPosts: 220

5 days /played to rank 40 is too much? <scratches head>

You can PvE all the way if you do all three pairings, you can do RvR through scenarios all the way if you want to do that. The only issue right now (and that I admit to 100%) is that open RvR does not give enough EXP. It should give much more so people in lower tiers want to pick up a fight.

Since the last point is so easy to fix i am certain Mythic will do it though.

• DarcknyghtDarcknyght Member Posts: 127
    Originally posted by Sikhander

5 days /played to rank 40 is too much? <scratches head>
    You can PvE all the way if you do all three pairings, you can do RvR through scenarios all the way if you want to do that. The only issue right now (and that I admit to 100%) is that open RvR does not give enough EXP. It should give much more so people in lower tiers want to pick up a fight.
    Since the last point is so easy to fix i am certain Mythic will do it though.

no PvE quests need to give rewards on par with scenerios. If you do good in a scenerio you are bound to get 7500+ for 15 mins of game play. They should do the same for a damn PvE quest thats twice as long. PvE quests are twice as long with 1/4 of exp you get from a 15 min scenerio. And if your on a populated server you always get into a Scenerio. Its like they are forcing you to scenerio grind. Because you get RR and Levels that way.

• StuntyCrushaStuntyCrusha Member UncommonPosts: 108

Man, I must have it all wrong.  I was just playing WAR to have fun, when I should have been playing to get to 40.  What was I thinking?

• SikhanderSikhander Member UncommonPosts: 220
    Originally posted by Darcknyght

no PvE quests need to give rewards on par with scenerios. If you do good in a scenerio you are bound to get 7500+ for 15 mins of game play. They should do the same for a damn PvE quest thats twice as long. PvE quests are twice as long with 1/4 of exp you get from a 15 min scenerio. And if your on a populated server you always get into a Scenerio. Its like they are forcing you to scenerio grind. Because you get RR and Levels that way.

I have the same EXP per hour speed when I go to a camp - pick up the quests and do a quest circuit to complete quests, kill mobs and get influence in the current chapter - as when I do scenarios. This differs between classes though - but it works great with a RP and an Engineer.

I still believe the key point is to increase the open world PvP incentive so it gives the most though.

• ZodanZodan Member Posts: 564

I am almost 40 now and I feel like that it was awesome, perfect leveling speed so that I could touch most of the content but didn't need to grind every single quest and area but it forced me to look around and see the world. Of course this means that I can also play alts and still have lot of new quests and areas to explore.

All power to WAR!

• ninjaladyninjalady Member Posts: 64

Try leveling in Lineage 2 to lvl 75+ without the use of a 2nd account buff-box

"like I have done" :)

And then lvling in any other mmo, will be way, way, too easy & fast. :)

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    Originally posted by Random_mage

Originally posted by girlgeek

Originally posted by Meridion

Originally posted by Random_mage

. I read the original posters thread..

.. I disagree with you.  The leveling speed is just fine.  I have a level 17 sorceress..  I play her every day.  I also have a few level 7-13 characters on destruction (and one order).. 
    I don't want a game where everyone is max level after a week.  Or.. 2.. Or a month.  I want a game that takes a while to hit max level. 
    I'm also sick and tired of reading the "I want to be max level after I log in"  Which is what I"m reading.  You appear to me, as nothing more than a WoW kiddy raised in the carrot on a stick enviorment.    pardon me if I get all self rightous, but when I started playing games, the point of the game was to PLAY.. not reach cap and quit.  And remember, the leveling speed is the SAME for everybody.. so if it takes you a week to hit max.. and everyone else a year.. You'd of long since quit.. because.. you'd be playing alone.

Jesus F***** Christ look at the friggin "games played" list on the left side of this posting, you can see which games I have played for a longer period of time, and if you click on profile you can see that I'm 27 and that my post history is actually defending WAR.

And see my statement concerning leveling speed above. Btw if you'd hit max regular rank in 2 days it would still take forever to reach renown 80.

O M G.  You know, if we could just GET more Warhammer players that would gleefully TRASH people by calling them "WoW kiddies," wouldn't that just be fkin' lovely?  /end sarcasm

Some people obviously read the words you wrote, and are incapable of actually understanding what you were SAYING.

Also....gotta love the people that say, "What kind of idiot are you rolling on a low or mid pop server?"  My response to that is simple....

When I started playing WAR, I thought the game was going to have a MASSIVE number of people playing it.  It never even crossed my mind that the servers would not MOSTLY, if not ALL, fill up fairly quickly.  But that has not been the case. 

Also, people are saying "QQ...reroll."  Uhm yeah.  Okay, why should someone be forced to reroll and to reroll the OPPOSITE faction from what they want to play?  Why?  If you ask ME...Mythic has a lot of crap to fix here with the population issues, because WAR is a game that is definitely more "fun" when you are on a high/high pop server.  They obviously did not get enough people playing to support servers being high/high 24/7.  Therefore....for gamers who may work odd hours, or for some OTHER reason, cannot play during peak hours....they're just plain screwed.  WAY TO GO MYTHIC!  Make a game that REQUIRES high pop to "get all of what the game was meant to be"....and then don't provide a way to HAVE that kind of population all the time.

I think some of the posters in this thread would rather just blame the OP for finding a problem, than blame Mythic (OOoooo heaven FORBID) for screwing up in this area.

And these are SOME (not ALL) of the reasons that I'm not playing now that the free month is over.  I'm pretty sure, from the posts I've seen around, regarding some of these same issues, that a lot of people are feeling this same thing.

So try dogging the OP LESS and actually LOOKING at the fact that even if YOUR sweet server doesn't have issues, the fact that SOME DO....is not the problem of the gamers who chose Destruction, or chose Order, or chose that med or low pop server....it's MYTHIC'S problem for having game mechanics that force people in to NOT being able to make those choices without it affecting the "fun factor" of the game.

EDIT:

OH YEAH...and what the poster above this post says...THAT TOO.

If you dislike the dynamics of the game... SOO much..

Than quit.  believe it or not, I DO NOT SEE THESE PROBLEMS.  I HAVE FUN PLAYING THE GAME... I guess I must be defective to NOT side with the original poster.. huh?    funny how all of these people are are QUITING the game still feel the need to point out all the flaws.  just quit.. you are nothing more than ta waste of space on these boards.   What does pointing out the things that are wrong.. DO FOR YOU?  Does it make you feel better? Start a blog.  I disagree with your opinion.  You are a troll.   Stop mucking up the boards for a game YOU ARE NOT PLAYING. 

- done. 

You know what it "does for me?"  It makes me feel a little better about the effing 50 bucks I wasted.  That's what it does.  But that set aside....the only reason I posted on this particular thread is because there were numerous people blaming the OP for population balance issues that should not be the PLAYERS' responsibility to fix.  THAT is a problem with the developer's game design.

Fanbois, like you, that want to blame the PLAYERS for a bad game design issue, are delusional.

Oh, and on the "troll" comment.....note MY date of membership and compare it to yours.  lol   You might also note that I don't have just a FEW posts and that not all of my posts are "trashing" your "pet game."  I love the WoW and WAR fanbois that cry "troll" when they're unable to defend their positions on something.  Just toss out the word "troll" and it justifies YOUR opinion as more "valid" than the so-called "troll's."  Pffft.

I find is comical that you say, "I disagree with your opinion.  You are a troll."  Yeah, that's usually the case with fanbois of whatever game is in question.  Someone disagrees with you, therefore....they are a troll.   I love how the entire concept of what a forum troll IS gets re-defined because "Oooooo waaaaaa" they don't agree with me....they MUST be a troll.  Do you even know what a forum troll IS?  No, I didn't think so.

HERE IS AN EXAMPLE OF WHAT A "TROLL" ACTUALLY IS (for those that are too young to have been around for the original use of the word on forums) the OP registers on numerous sites with the sole purpose of "warning" people away from WAR.  Amazing.:

http://forums.tentonhammer.com/showthread.php?t=36771

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

I'm not sure that's accurate.  I'm on a high population server and the game is fun for me and I play order (currently level 37) on the underpopulated side and do not have a guild.  Instant scenario pops are always fun.  sure they really need to do some tweaking for realm imbalance or risk having problems in the future but I'm having tons of fun atm.

Same thing for other games, I rolled on low pop servers and it was boring to me because of the lack of people and social interaction.  But then again it was the same in every single MMO I played so don't see the difference here.

Level 37 on a high population server is right in the sweet spot of the leveling crowd I think.  Lots of people all rushing around to experience the same things.  If I had the time that is where I would want to be right now.  Things must be hopping.

As for other games suffering at low populations, I don't think it has the same effect as Warhammer.  People can run around in say Vanguard with 2-3 others and have a good time doing dungeons, quests, etc.  I don't think the same applies here if all you have is 2-3 other people in the PvP areas, public quests, keeps, etc.  Sure you can run around doing the PvE in Warhammer the same way, but lets be honest the PvE in this game is not worth the price of the monthly subscription. 

This game is built on the concept of massive battles of realms fighting against each other.  When you can run around conflicted areas and not see a single person of either faction that is a problem. 

Anyone who wants to see how this will affect the game try the following.  Pick  the server that the character select screen offers "order/destruction needs recruits on X realm"  and roll a new character there.  Run around and try to get a group, do a PQ, que for a scenario.  Go to the capital city and see how many items are for sale that you might be able to use within +/- 4 levels.

Now imagine you were a brand new player who just started the game.  What do you think their impressions will be if this is how things continue?

• MeridionMeridion Member UncommonPosts: 1,495
    Originally posted by Daffid011

Level 37 on a high population server is right in the sweet spot of the leveling crowd I think.  Lots of people all rushing around to experience the same things.  If I had the time that is where I would want to be right now.  Things must be hopping.

As for other games suffering at low populations, I don't think it has the same effect as Warhammer.  People can run around in say Vanguard with 2-3 others and have a good time doing dungeons, quests, etc.  I don't think the same applies here if all you have is 2-3 other people in the PvP areas, public quests, keeps, etc.  Sure you can run around doing the PvE in Warhammer the same way, but lets be honest the PvE in this game is not worth the price of the monthly subscription. 

This game is built on the concept of massive battles of realms fighting against each other.  When you can run around conflicted areas and not see a single person of either faction that is a problem. 

Anyone who wants to see how this will affect the game try the following.  Pick  the server that the character select screen offers "order/destruction needs recruits on X realm"  and roll a new character there.  Run around and try to get a group, do a PQ, que for a scenario.  Go to the capital city and see how many items are for sale that you might be able to use within +/- 4 levels.

Now imagine you were a brand new player who just started the game.  What do you think their impressions will be if this is how things continue?

I had that with my first character.

It felt like SWG when I tried it again 1 year ago. It had a eerie feeling to it, like walking through a deserted ghosttown with plates still on the tables and radios still turned on, producing nothing but white noise.

Nobody there but NPCs doing the same thing over, and over, and over ...

Honestly even on my current realm, with a strong alliance, in some areas you get this feeling of being completely alone in a theater of robots repeating themselves for all eternity.

This needs to change! Clone the overpopulated realms and merge the low pop servers, can't be so hard to see that things are only getting worse if you keep it this way.

M