Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQ2 or WoW...I'm trying to decide

PaulMKPaulMK Member Posts: 15

Hey everybody,

I was wondering if maybe you could help me out here with a few things.

I'm stuck trying to decide if i want to continue playing EQ2 or if i want to switch over to WoW. A few questions i have for you guys over here at the EQ2 forums is...

1. What is there to do at the lvl cap? I know theres AAs and raiding, but is there other things to do at lvl 80 or if you don't have the time to raid are you stuck to just making more alts? Are there alot of small guild / group friendly content?

2. I know the game has been out for awhile, my question is some times i like to go back and do the older stuff, (I know theres a long quest chain involving Nagafen and that's something i would LOVE to do) is there still people that do that, or would it be fairly easy at lvl 80 to get a few people to go back and do it? Granted i dont know what exactly "it" is or if i would even want to, i just know theres got to be a lot of stuff that if i start playing now that i will miss due to outlvling it in other, easier solo-friendly areas. Take for instance WoW (if i may) for anybody that has played it, theres a handful of instances that get skipped due to Outland (Strat, Scholo, BRS, all the old raid instances), is there a demand to go back and do that stuff, cause in WoW it always seems to be <zombie>Must get the newest purplez!!!!!</zombie>.

Anyway, that's about it, if anybody can help me out and give me some constructive feedback, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Comments

• CoderCoder Member UncommonPosts: 63

At 80 you can do:

1. Max your tradeskill level

2. Make alot of plat (money)

3. Max your tinkering/transmuting (do #2 before you start this)

4. Get all the "best" gear available

5. Do all quests or as many you can (somewhere around 5000 I'd guess)

6. Max AAs (but you said that)

7. Find a guild that is quest orientated (so you can do #5)

8. Raid (many zones takes less then 1 hour)

9. Do things to benefit your guild, status and such (need #7)

10. Mentor lower level players for help and personal achivments (a way to get more quests done and make friends)

So pretty much same as WoW.

As for completing Prismatic 1.0 (Nagafen quest), it's doable with a group of 80 easily, it's harder to find people that want to do it or hasn't done it already.

There are zones/places in EQ2 that are newer and better then the old zones, for example, 1-20 stick to Gorowyn which has good xp/axp and item rewards.

• HaltsTimeHaltsTime Member UncommonPosts: 30

I was always into the everquest one world, but never went off and played EQ2, because after reading and seeing the graphics i solely base WoW on my computer's performance, i would actually really like to know more about eq2 and how the the community is and if they are friendly to new comers.  I know eq1 isnt very open to newbies considering the games been out for so long now.

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

EQ2

• CoderCoder Member UncommonPosts: 63

The community is quite nice to newcomers and most will answer most questions you will have.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Well if u post in the Eq2 section, you cannot have a biased answer, obviously people will tell you to go for Eq2.

But I suggest you to go for WoW.

EQ2 has lost is uniqueness, now is as shallow as WoW, but Blizzard product is a much better game.

I used to play EQ2 and SWG when they were much better games, nowadays are just average, so I HAD to move to WoW, since there are not good MMORPGs left now (apart for EVE, but I don t like Sci-Fi).

So if you have to go for an average game, go for the king of the average.........WoW.

• TheICETheICE Member UncommonPosts: 120

I agree with ste2000, eq2 was a good game than they dumbed it down with kunark, so like ste2000 i went with wow which is the better game now. Also wow has a open beta for there new expansion and soe has a closed beta and no new information for a expansio coming out in about a month, so that should tell you something right there.

• UpskirtPowerUpskirtPower Member Posts: 230

well my personal opinion between everquest 2 and wow i would choose... ever quest 2 but IF! if ever quest 2 ever add sound of impact on default melee attacking. it sound like hitting on wind instead of a monster or object.

i played both trials and short period of time. both never got to lv 13 or 14. to me everquest 2 seems more immersive and alive due to npc got full voice dialogue. yes the character is pretty ugly i,e female dark elf but it is alright playing on the alternative model mode. but the thing i hate is female dwarf got beard! i was like wtf! overall i like the world of ever quest 2.

extreme setting on everquest 2 does look nice if you have a rig that can handle.

• Smilex0311Smilex0311 Member Posts: 207
    Originally posted by ste2000

Well if u post in the Eq2 section, you cannot have a biased answer, obviously people will tell you to go for Eq2.

EQ2 has lost is uniqueness, now is as shallow as WoW, but Blizzard product is a much better game.

I used to play EQ2 and SWG when they were much better games, nowadays are just average, so I HAD to move to WoW, since there are not good MMORPGs left now (apart for EVE, but I don t like Sci-Fi).

So if you have to go for an average game, go for the king of the average.........WoW.

I am heavily biased towards EQ2.  That said, wow looks retarded to me.  The trolls do not look like trolls.  The trolls look more like a circus freak.  I guess its personal taste in the art.  Essentially they are the same game.

• boognish75boognish75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,540

i sent you an email paul.

playing eq2 and two worlds

• RushagRushag Member Posts: 39

Play WAR

• neonwireneonwire Member Posts: 1,787
    Originally posted by PaulMK

Hey everybody,
    I was wondering if maybe you could help me out here with a few things.
    I'm stuck trying to decide if i want to continue playing EQ2 or if i want to switch over to WoW. A few questions i have for you guys over here at the EQ2 forums is...
    1. What is there to do at the lvl cap? I know theres AAs and raiding, but is there other things to do at lvl 80 or if you don't have the time to raid are you stuck to just making more alts? Are there alot of small guild / group friendly content?
    2. I know the game has been out for awhile, my question is some times i like to go back and do the older stuff, (I know theres a long quest chain involving Nagafen and that's something i would LOVE to do) is there still people that do that, or would it be fairly easy at lvl 80 to get a few people to go back and do it? Granted i dont know what exactly "it" is or if i would even want to, i just know theres got to be a lot of stuff that if i start playing now that i will miss due to outlvling it in other, easier solo-friendly areas. Take for instance WoW (if i may) for anybody that has played it, theres a handful of instances that get skipped due to Outland (Strat, Scholo, BRS, all the old raid instances), is there a demand to go back and do that stuff, cause in WoW it always seems to be <zombie>Must get the newest purplez!!!!!</zombie>.
    Anyway, that's about it, if anybody can help me out and give me some constructive feedback, it would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you,

Neither of them. They both basicly play in the same way. Why not play Warhammer instead?

• todeswulftodeswulf Member Posts: 715

How can it be biased we have guys like you that no longer play and haven't for a while  yet still monitor the EQ II forums here 24/7  and take every oppertunity to bash the game and  say how much it sucks, you even have admitted on several occasions that you have an axe to grind..which pretty much invalidates anything you have to say.

• happytklzhappytklz Member Posts: 128

Depends what you want.  Those telling you to switch to WAR are missing the point... EQ2 and Wow are both primarily PvE games with an iffy PvP component.  WAR remains unproven, depsite what the fans are saying... again, though, is you want a fantasy based game with PvP emphasis, it's probably your best choice. 

Between WoW and EQ2 for me the choice is based on immersion... WoW wins hands down.  EQ2 is cool, but clunkier, and less of a feeling of the character being "in" the world. 

Your post suggests you are heavily focused on endgame, which for me has never been a big deal... but that's because like many WoW diehards, I'm an alt-oholic... love trying new combinations, new approaches, new talent trees.  I have a 70 and two 50's in WoW, which I still play for the quest content.  I belong to a couple guilds, but don't do raiding, so you may want to discount my entire opinion on that basis alone. 

I have never understood those who say WoW is easy or boring... there's always a way to make it more of a challenge.  Solo an instance.  Deliberately quest and fight above your level.  Learn classes you don't know as well.  I suppose if MMO's are your whole life, then anything would get dull.

• LeasaLeasa Member Posts: 449

I played them both. After all is said and done, to me, there is not real difference.

Try them both and see which you like better.

Or flip a coin :)

Support Bacteria, its the only culture some people have.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

Thats a tough one.

I found Lotro better than both WoW and EQ2 in a lot of ways.

I would tell you to find a different game other than EQ2/WoW.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• bahamut1bahamut1 Member Posts: 614
    Originally posted by Leasa

I played them both. After all is said and done, to me, there is not real difference.
    Try them both and see which you like better.
    Or flip a coin :)

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. The big differences (noticable) will be realistic vs. cartoony graphics, and customization. I like the realistic type graphics and my gf likes the cartoony graphics, but her rogue is only a mere shadow of what my rogue is like. She is insanely jealous that I have TONS more options for look and gameplay. She likes to decorate my house too, go figure. ;)

"Granted thinking for yourself could be considered a timesink of shorter or longer duration depending on how smart..or how dumb you are."

• PaulMKPaulMK Member Posts: 15

Thanks alot for all your comments, wasn't expecting as many.

To those that say WAR - i played open beta, and the headstart, it's too much PvP for my tastes, i prefer PvE, hence WoW or EQ2.

To those for LotR - I played that for a month and thought it was amazing, but for some reason it felt like it was missing something, i dont know what and i could never figure it out. It's just that for EQ2 and WoW, when i'm not playing i want to, in LotR i was always like...."eh, maybe i'll watch tv for awhile".

I think i'm pretty much settled on WoW, just because there's too many good memories and some of the things i'm looking to do.

Thanks all for your input,

• fawdownfawdown Member UncommonPosts: 186

For me, WoW got boring very fast.  The graphics are on par with something on daytime nickelodeon.  But besides that, if you want to keep your interest in that game you have to really look hard for something to do. 

You can invent yourself into ideas like, soloing an instance, fighting creatures at a higher lvl than you, but in the end, you really have to be imaginitive to get past the monotony.

EQ2 re-invented itself a few years back.  There is constant new content, even without expansions.  At end game, there is a lot to do besides raiding.  It was mentioned earlier so I won't repeat.  But the game gives you plenty without you having to come up with ideas mentioned above.  The content is huge, and its very difficult to see it all with one character on it's way up.  When you play an alternate, there is plenty to do that you didn't see with your main.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by Smilex0311

I am heavily biased towards EQ2.  That said, wow looks retarded to me.  The trolls do not look like trolls.  The trolls look more like a circus freak.  I guess its personal taste in the art.  Essentially they are the same game.

I do agree with you.

So you can fugure out how bad EQ2 got, if an hardcore EQ2 player like myself ended up playing such an average game like WoW.

Soe should be ashamed of what it has done with EQ2 and SWG, they turned good quality games into shit.

Which is funny because I think that SoE has the right talent to make a complex and fun MMORPG, if they only stop trying to emulate WoW..........

Well I guess it is their loss.

• JaiyneJaiyne Member Posts: 6

If you like the long quest story lines of EQ2 you may miss that in WOW.  In WOW questing is a means to an end (Leveling) not the point of the game.  Also content wise WoW is a much narrower game.  WoW can be fun but it can get repetetive quick if you do not plan on raiding once you reach the level cap.  They have added repeatable quest to grind rep to get rewards, I get bored with that quickly.  Also for some crafting is a large part of the game in EQ2, WoW's crafting is a small component. 

When I was gaming a lot, I would always go back to EQ2 if I was not raiding I did not enjoy playing WOW I would be farming.  It was always the quests and amazing dungeons that would take me back to EQ2.   It has an amazing community and the deep gameplay always brings me back.  I am playing WAR now and it is fun, and I can play a few hours and enjoy myself and log out.   If I had the time to play like I used to I would probably still play EQ2.