Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why the heck are people scneario grinding???

Lat night, my guild participated in what can only be described as DAoC reborn, and it was a BEAUTIFUL thing to see.

Let's lay it out, a lvl 25 WE, 24BO, 22GS and a 20ZE (yours truly).  We were in Teir 3 Chaos, out PQing and wiating for scenario pops when we kinda decided to take some of the flag points off those goody two shoe Order yuppies.  

So we took three locales, and we were on to the fourth when a few more showed up.  Within ten min we were part of a 24 man warband raiding the keep to the south.  Rams were pulled out, madness ensued, the Order had about 12 against us.  They poured oil on our heads, I died like 10 times, it was insane, and yes a fwe moments of "slide show" ensued.

Now, we made 800 RR PER POINT CAPTURED.

We took 4 before this all kicked off, so 3200 RR on top of the keep capture.  It was fantastic.  More XP, more action and more RR all faster then sitting around doing scenario's.

So don't grind Scenario's... go WAR.

Always change your signature.

Comments

• crunchyblackcrunchyblack Member Posts: 1,362

They either scenario grind because they "heard" it was the way to  "power level" best, because they actually enjoy it, or because they are so use to grinding in other games that they just forget about all the other stuff to do.

i enjoy, and reccomend a balance between open field, PQ's, PVE quests, pepperd with scenarios as a nice "change of pace"

soon enough people will start to explore the 8gigs of game not coverd by scenarios.

and i agree, open field RvR is more fun/ rewarding.

• KrazcoKrazco Member Posts: 167

time vs reward? just my guess!

Want to play: Lego Universe

• PangaeaPangaea Member Posts: 434
    Originally posted by MrVicchio

Lat night, my guild participated in what can only be described as DAoC reborn, and it was a BEAUTIFUL thing to see.

Let's lay it out, a lvl 25 WE, 24BO, 22GS and a 20ZE (yours truly).  We were in Teir 3 Chaos, out PQing and wiating for scenario pops when we kinda decided to take some of the flag points off those goody two shoe Order yuppies.  (Goody Two Shoes? If call a society that is a mix between the Spanish inquisition and the worst parts of the Salem Witch trials "goody two shoes" then yes.. we are goody two shoes...lol. we are as good as any prejudice, murdering, supremist society you can get. that is order by the way since you mentioned Chaos, but Elves are not all that good either.. they are egotisticle and noone likes them not even order of dwarves. And Dwarves are as about as good as Drunk bikers in a Biker bar.)

So we took three locales, and we were on to the fourth when a few more showed up.  Within ten min we were part of a 24 man warband raiding the keep to the south.  Rams were pulled out, madness ensued, the Order had about 12 against us.  They poured oil on our heads, I died like 10 times, it was insane, and yes a fwe moments of "slide show" ensued.

We took 4 before this all kicked off, so 3200 RR on top of the keep capture.  It was fantastic.  More XP, more action and more RR all faster then sitting around doing scenario's. (yup.. i love getting all that RR and Experience.. and usually I jump into a 5 min scenarios a few times through that whole ordeal to get even more experience and RR. nothing like .. slaying some Zealots.. laughing, jumpin in an RVR zone.. killing more chaos. and winning and then popping back out to defend the kepp or take camps.. great fun)

• LeKinKLeKinK Member Posts: 899
    Originally posted by crunchyblack

They either scenario grind because they "heard" it was the way to  "power level" best, because they actually enjoy it, or because they are so use to grinding in other games that they just forget about all the other stuff to do.
    i enjoy, and reccomend a balance between open field, PQ's, PVE quests, pepperd with scenarios as a nice "change of pace"
    soon enough people will start to explore the 8gigs of game not coverd by scenarios.
    and i agree, open field RvR is more fun/ rewarding.

Omg, you described exactly how I am, or at least think.  Except scenarios grinding is the fastest way on my open and outnumbered order server to lvl. I did not heard it, I experienced it. 

It's pretty much all that, I bypass all other aspect of the game, don't even bother with crafting as I just don't like that.  I do enjoy the scenario a lot. They are the reason I will resubscribe.

• markoraosmarkoraos Member Posts: 1,593

Short answer: because current rewards/time for scenarios are much better than those for open RvR. You have to factor in that equation long travel times to and from quest areas and lack of solo/pve content in rvr zones which make looking for fun there a risky business outside the primetime.

Long answer: Why this is so no one knows. Mythic could easily reduce scenario rewards and increase open RvR ones with a simple hot-fix but they're still not doing it. My hunch is that something went wrong in the patch following beta and open RvR got inexplicably laggy. I heard that during beta keep sieges were much smoother and client could bear much more  people on screen without noticable stutter but something got weird with the last pre-release patch. I think Mythic is hoping to keep a reasonable amount of people in scenarios and away from RvR till they can fix the problem with stutter... which looks primarily like a memory leak problem to me but I could be wrong.

• MrVicchioMrVicchio Member Posts: 598
    Originally posted by Krazco

I made more XP and RR in that 45 min then I had in scenario grinding.  Maybe if I was on a server where the scenario popped constantly perhaps, maybe grinding might work out that way.   

On mine it's a 30 min wait between runs on an average evening.

• checkthis500checkthis500 Member Posts: 1,236

I made more XP and RR in that 45 min then I had in scenario grinding.  Maybe if I was on a server where the scenario popped constantly perhaps, maybe grinding might work out that way.   

Yep same here.  I make way more renown and xp doing Open World RvR than scenarios.

I'm Rank 14, Renown Rank 12, and I've done maybe 10 scenarios total.  I've only done one Tier 2 scenario, and that was just because I hadn't done them yet and wanted to.

Open World is where it's at for gear, Renown, and xp.  People just need to figure that out.

If you enjoy scenarios, do them.  But it's definitely NOT the best way to earn Renown or XP, and if you go and start taking objectives, guess what?  The opposing realm will show up.

Why are they going to be out in Open World RvR if they already own everything?  There's no point to go take what you already own.  Go take it back, and see if they don't come scurrying.

i.e. last night in a warband we decided to go take a keep.  We got there after taking two BO's.  We didn't see a single Order player the whole time, until we got to the keep. 

There were two waiting on us inside, and within 10 minutes, 8 more showed up, and pushed us back, and forced us to retreat.  We got some more and pushed again, only to be pushed back by more Order.

If you go take their shit from them, they're going to want it back.  So get together a small group, and go take it.  They'll show up to take it back, I guarantee it.

---------------------------------------------
    I live to fight, and fight to live.

Originally posted by Pangaea

Let's lay it out, a lvl 25 WE, 24BO, 22GS and a 20ZE (yours truly).  We were in Teir 3 Chaos, out PQing and wiating for scenario pops when we kinda decided to take some of the flag points off those goody two shoe Order yuppies.  (Goody Two Shoes? If call a society that is a mix between the Spanish inquisition and the worst parts of the Salem Witch trials "goody two shoes" then yes.. we are goody two shoes...lol. we are as good as any prejudice, murdering, supremist society you can get. that is order by the way since you mentioned Chaos, but Elves are not all that good either.. they are egotisticle and noone likes them not even order of dwarves. And Dwarves are as about as good as Drunk bikers in a Biker bar.)

You fear the change, embrace the change, Sigmar is a tyrant, that demands you do "his will" and he sends his wanna be Van Helsing stand ins to inforce it and those goof balls with "Sigmar" written in lipstick on their fore heads to preach at you.   Go into that city and you see all the "right people" living comfortably and the wrong  people in the slums.   HMPH!   H'Elfs are more worried abou their hair and complexion then anything else, and demand all follow their "good ways".  Like hell.  And don't get me started on those stunted lumps up north.  Building theirpretty little forts and dirty holes into perfectly good mountains.  It's disgusting!  All I see is conformity or death.  BLEH!

We took 4 before this all kicked off, so 3200 RR on top of the keep capture.  It was fantastic.  More XP, more action and more RR all faster then sitting around doing scenario's. (yup.. i love getting all that RR and Experience.. and usually I jump into a 5 min scenarios a few times through that whole ordeal to get even more experience and RR. nothing like .. slaying some Zealots.. laughing, jumpin in an RVR zone.. killing more chaos. and winning and then popping back out to defend the kepp or take camps.. great fun)
    You mean you run to your guards and try to lure the zealous enemy to their doom.  Craven behavior is to be expected by "order"

• WarguruWarguru Member Posts: 66

Because of the very good Exp / RP reward per hour..

NICE.. 30 min for a wait time for scenario!?!? OUCH.

Well I am sure you are constantly queued then.. that is perfect if you like doing everything.

Quest, PQ, Keep siege.. SCENARIO POP.. rinse/repeat sounds like you got what you wanted for fun :)

You fear the change, embrace the change, Sigmar is a tyrant, that demands you do "his will" and he sends his wanna be Van Helsing stand ins to inforce it and those goof balls with "Sigmar" written in lipstick on their fore heads to preach at you.   Go into that city and you see all the "right people" living comfortably and the wrong  people in the slums.   HMPH!   H'Elfs are more worried abou their hair and complexion then anything else, and demand all follow their "good ways".  Like hell.  And don't get me started on those stunted lumps up north.  Building theirpretty little forts and dirty holes into perfectly good mountains.  It's disgusting!  All I see is conformity or death.  BLEH!
     You shut your dirty heretic little mouth.. i will see you burned at the stake for your blasphemies. i will brand sigmar into your reched chest as you burn, while our standard waves high in in air catching the morning light. You my friend are nothing more than another burn mark near the gallows. Step into my town if you dare.. i will be waiting....
    You know what we call little twigs like you in Middenhiem.... "Kindle".

You mean you run to your guards and try to lure the zealous enemy to their doom.  Craven behavior is to be expected by "order"
     I am one of the sons of Ulric. We do not run. The only running I have ever done was to chase you Zealots while you frantically heal yourself. Carrying your mothers skulls in your hands, fleeing from the demise that so patiently awaits you. Run little zealot. Don't drop your toys. I make end up taking that little tooth pick and skull of yours and decorating your grave with it.

• VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757

Depending on which scenario I want to do in t2, they pop fairly fast. I mostly queue for them to do between quests, and I focus on the open rvr when I get higher in level in that tier, ie level 20ish for tier 2. personally i rather there werent any scenarios to queue and just battlegrounds like daoc. I guess with only 2 realms, the numbers could get a bit unbalanced, but would be fun to just take a keep that way. thats basically just the open rvr we have now, but easier access to get to, heh.

Anyways, still having fun and thats what matters. I also tend to go for the scenarios that don't have winners until the time is up usually since get a lot more killing in, lol. oh, often the open rvr is a bit dead, so its nice to jump in and get action, it was just done poorly with queue scenarios instead of daoc like BGs imo.

• ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931

Yeah lets compare a new mmo to a 7y old and ack like the 7y old was better.  Mark must love that.. 

Yes RVR is a blast but now its truning into "if you play will give you MORE XP and RR". See.. "MORE XP RR"..

Maybe do it for just FUN.. try it..

Originally posted by Zeblade

Yeah lets compare a new mmo to a 7y old and ack like the 7y old was better.  Mark must love that.. 

Yes RVR is a blast but now its truning into "if you play will give you MORE XP and RR". See.. "MORE XP RR"..

Zen, 

I AM having fun, tons of it.  I'm amused at people trying to max to 40 fast.  WHY?  There is sooo much fun to be had kicking the crap out of the enemy doing it the right way!   

You shut your dirty heretic little mouth.. i will see you burned at the stake for your blasphemies. i will brand sigmar into your reched chest as you burn, while our standard waves high in in air catching the morning light. You my friend are nothing more than another burn mark near the gallows. Step into my town if you dare.. i will be waiting....
     You do it because you are scared, scared your precious "sigmar" will look down you.  You get up and grovel to your little "god" and hope, in vain, that some how you can please him.   HA!  Sigmar is a cruel tyrant that cannot bend with the changes of time.  Sigmar is a rock, we are the wind and the waves, come to tear down that which is stuck.   We come to free you, yet you resist in fear.   

As for burning at the stake, we do that too, only I think you call it a spit.  Witch Hunters are best served with ale and just a touch of basil.

I am one of the sons of Ulric. We do not run. The only running I have ever done was to chase you Zealots while you frantically heal yourself. Carrying your mothers skulls in your hands, fleeing from the demise that so patiently awaits you. Run little zealot. Don't drop your toys. I make end up taking that little tooth pick and skull of yours and decorating your grave with it.

The Sons of Ulric are the lesser men of greater sires.  Perhaps if your forefathers had not mated with swine, you would be worthy fo even a smidgeon of respect.  And it's not my Mothers skull, it's yours.   I dug it up last week.   Really, she WORE that dress?  You have no sense of style sons of ulric.

You do it because you are scared, scared your precious "sigmar" will look down you.  You get up and grovel to your little "god" and hope, in vain, that some how you can please him.   HA!  Sigmar is a cruel tyrant that cannot bend with the changes of time.  Sigmar is a rock, we are the wind and the waves, come to tear down that which is stuck.   We come to free you, yet you resist in fear.   

As for burning at the stake, we do that too, only I think you call it a spit.  Witch Hunters are best served with ale and just a touch of basil.
    Basil... BASIL!!???  WTF... BASIL!!!!???!?!?  a Basil eating Zealot. And just when I thought I saw it all. 
    Sigmar created the Empire! You know. The same Empire that beat back your armies. the ones that broke your moral and made you flee back into the Shadows. Sigmar is a ROCK.. That very same rock that you will break your shabby bodies over tryign to take down.

The Sons of Ulric are the lesser men of greater sires.  Perhaps if your forefathers had not mated with swine, you would be worthy fo even a smidgeon of respect.  And it's not my Mothers skull, it's yours.   I dug it up last week.   Really, she WORE that dress?  You have no sense of style sons of ulric.
    (ok saruman) Does it still sadden you that unlike Sigmar and Ulric, that your gods don't give one ounce of care about you. Nurgle, Tzeentch, Slaanesh, Khorne..... they are all too busy flaunting thier powers amongst themselves. They have no care of you.. you are NOTHING. And path you choseto leade in life its easy to see that you are a rebelious child starving for affection for your measly gods. I will send the wolves for you... the wolves of ulric. the Inquisition will find you and bring you to JUSTICE.

Basil... BASIL!!???  WTF... BASIL!!!!???!?!?  a Basil eating Zealot. And just when I thought I saw it all. 
    Sigmar created the Empire! You know. The same Empire that beat back your armies. the ones that broke your moral and made you flee back into the Shadows. Sigmar is a ROCK.. That very same rock that you will break your shabby bodies over tryign to take down.
      Would you like the recipie?  I'm sure you'll love it!   I have one for one for your races and classes, like BBQ BW, just like mom used to make!   Dorf Ka-bobs for my Orcish friends and Helf.. well, we're short on white wine so we serve them to the dogs.

Sigmar said "I'm bored, I need slaves... who could I get?  So he went out and found the most pliable, weakest of the people and brought them together.   Personally, I think he made ya'll wear those Van Helsing outfits cause he's the only fan that movie ever had.  Someone send him to fashion school eh?
    Sigmar didn't run us off BTW, we we're laughing so hard at those silly hats you guys wear we lots whole regiments, like that Monty Python skit come to life.  We spent weeks parading about Witch Hunter slaves till we could control ourselves!

(ok saruman) Does it still sadden you that unlike Sigmar and Ulric, that your gods don't give one ounce of care about you. Nurgle, Tzeentch, Slaanesh, Khorne..... they are all too busy flaunting thier powers amongst themselves. They have no care of you.. you are NOTHING. And path you choseto leade in life its easy to see that you are a rebelious child starving for affection for your measly gods. I will send the wolves for you... the wolves of ulric. the Inquisition will find you and bring you to JUSTICE.
    We don't need to grovel to our Gods, we know what they want and do it.  Is it true you carry a "pocket guide to Sigmar" with you?  I carry the scalps of a few of your friends.   Make's a great party gift!   I chose the path of least WHINING.   I once snuck into a Church of Sigmar, I had to slaughter all there and still wake up in the middle of the night.. the crying to Sigmar was, distrubing.  How do you function like that?

• SteelguruSteelguru Member Posts: 118

Zen, 

I AM having fun, tons of it.  I'm amused at people trying to max to 40 fast.  WHY?  There is sooo much fun to be had kicking the crap out of the enemy doing it the right way!   

Well on my server Order side, I can have 1-2 min Q's and I'd say in the 4 games with my IB buddy (2-2 or 3-1), I'd say paired up we got about.......65k XP and about 8k renown in less than 30 minutes? (tier 3 )  With the one big Dest zerg guild alone (aside from the rest of them) on our server constantly outleveling and outnumbering us, we tend to schedule keep RvR unless I want to join a random group for fun.  Which I do.  But I'd prefer to catch up in levels right now, as I'm tired of being outleveled.  Why run Scenarios?   Because it's the fastest way to level, and I see no need to draw it out, personally I have the most fun when I'm max level and not one of those who needs to smell every rose on the way.   More fun to leave a little content for a second character, and I spend plenty of time exploring and PvEing when I feel like it, or we have a PvE night scheduled.

I understand why you have fun rolling Keeps.....you chose to roll Dest which means long Q times, and you can zerg all the outnumbered Order for kicks.   The benefit of Order is that we can dictate RvR time and place, and if we choose we can run Scenario where we are evenly matched and stomp you on even terms.   So have fun with your long Q times, but don't wonder why people run Scenarios as it's the most efficient way to level by far, at least for Order side.

• McpoopypantsMcpoopypants Member Posts: 115

Let's lay it out, a lvl 25 WE, 24BO, 22GS and a 20ZE (yours truly).  We were in Teir 3 Chaos, out PQing and wiating for scenario pops when we kinda decided to take some of the flag points off those goody two shoe Order yuppies.  

We took 4 before this all kicked off, so 3200 RR on top of the keep capture.  It was fantastic.  More XP, more action and more RR all faster then sitting around doing scenario's.

You died ten times... and it prolyl didnt hurt one bit, exactly why this game is garbo

Originally posted by Steelguru

Zen, 

Well on my server Order side, I can have 1-2 min Q's and I'd say in the 4 games with my IB buddy (2-2 or 3-1), I'd say paired up we got about.......65k XP and about 8k renown in less than 30 minutes? (tier 3 )  With the one big Dest zerg guild alone (aside from the rest of them) on our server constantly outleveling and outnumbering us, we tend to schedule keep RvR unless I want to join a random group for fun.  Which I do.  But I'd prefer to catch up in levels right now, as I'm tired of being outleveled.  Why run Scenarios?   Because it's the fastest way to level, and I see no need to draw it out, personally I have the most fun when I'm max level and not one of those who needs to smell every rose on the way.   More fun to leave a little content for a second character, and I spend plenty of time exploring and PvEing when I feel like it, or we have a PvE night scheduled.

I understand why you have fun rolling Keeps.....you chose to roll Dest which means long Q times, and you can zerg all the outnumbered Order for kicks.   The benefit of Order is that we can dictate RvR time and place, and if we choose we can run Scenario where we are evenly matched and stomp you on even terms.   So have fun with your long Q times, but don't wonder why people run Scenarios as it's the most efficient way to level by far, at least for Order side.

Actually, my guild and wife damnded we roll Destruction.   I have a BW Alt on Kislev (Billard) and he is my pride an joy.  The Scenario Q's are rediculous in how fast they are.  I love him more then my main Zealot.

• skepticalskeptical Member Posts: 357

I think scenarios are playing a major part in people giving up on this game. If i wanted to grind instanced pvp games i can just play wow. The whole point of this game was open rvr and its nonexistent. Another MMO flop I'm afraid.

• WarpHunterWarpHunter Member Posts: 147

Most people are waiting to do open rvr at level 40 so they just grind scenario's untill they get to 40. With addons like superqueue there is little wait to join a queue and for me I switched exclusively to scenarios for levels 15-20 as I was getting way more exp and several nice armour drops. I did some open rvr with about 10 others and other then NPC's we ran into 1 oe 2 actual order players to kill so we decided to go back to scenarios as its faster exp gains.

Warp

• markoraosmarkoraos Member Posts: 1,593
    Originally posted by skeptical

I think scenarios are playing a major part in people giving up on this game. If i wanted to grind instanced pvp games i can just play wow. The whole point of this game was open rvr and its nonexistent. Another MMO flop I'm afraid.

I wouldn't go as far....

The engine has proven capable of supporting massive open RvR and the player community has clearly spoken that they would like more of it.

It is really not that difficult to increase xp rewards for open RvR. In fact I believe something like it has already started happening, maybe a silent patch? In fact I believe I do get more xp in open RvR than I used to a week ago. The day before yesterday I leveled my SM for half a level 20-21 in about 2 or 3 hrs of intense RvR, mostly keep defense. In addition introducing some repeatable quests and better PQ-style drops from minor RvR bosses wouldn't be that hard to implement in order to draw more solo players and small groups into RvR zones.

These changes aren't that complex or demanding and I have a hunch the first big "proper" patch - 1.1 - might give some substantial boosts to open RvR. So far Mythic has proven really agile in addressing player concerns but there are limits at how fast you can introduce changes into a vast and intricate machine that is an AAA MMO.

• susanto1228susanto1228 Member Posts: 203

I get 9000-10000 xp from scenario play every 8 minutes on tier 2 nuff said

• -aLpHa--aLpHa- Member UncommonPosts: 852

I am getting 15k XP/1k Renown all 8 Minutes (Tor Anroc) on my Realm if we get 500 points. The Queues are instant for Oder, so let's see what is better in terms of XP/Renown?