Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SW:TOR DISCUSSION

Comments

• jinxitjinxit Member UncommonPosts: 854
    Originally posted by purewitz

Just read this over at TheForce.net:
    CVG is reporting that LucasArts will be unveiling their KOTOR MMO title within the next 30 day! Click here for the full report and keep your fingers crossed.

Backing up all this is the strongest confirmation yet (other than EA's boss saying it's in the works, of course) from UK newspaper, The Daily Star, of all places.

A column that appeared last Saturday reports that the rag is soon off to San Francisco to "file an exclusive report on the game", after stating that BioWare is working on "a MMO of Knights of the Old Republic".

Anyone here from the UK will confirm that the Daily Star is more known over here for being more a daily rag than a serious newspaper, it deals mostly in sport and gossip, the more seedy the gossip the better, I dont trust this statement from them at all.

• VramiVrami Member Posts: 33

I have given up on all MMO's until KOTOR is released. Actually KOTOR was the last non MMO I really loved. I enjoy MMO's but at the moment none of them have captured my attention. I played WoW for 3 years and did enjoy it for a while but after 3 years it just got to be boring. I played WAR and actually leveled up to Rank 40 and am now trying to sell my account already haha.

The point is that I believe this is going to be an MMO that will be AMAZING. I believe Bioware is going to give us something we can love. I pray and hope that the game is everything we can dream of.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

You guys are seriously hyping this game way too early.

We have no Idea if this game will me Pre-Cu 2, Wow with lightsabers or Guild Wars/Diablo With Lightsabers yet .

Chill out

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

Originally posted by Z3R01

You guys are seriously hyping this game way too early.
    We have no Idea if this game will me Pre-Cu 2, Wow with lightsabers or Guild Wars/Diablo With Lightsabers yet .

Chill out

Agree, people should see this entire thing as vaporware until some hard proof comes this way.

But if it is for real then hell yes I'll be one of the first to defend it.

• purewitzpurewitz Member UncommonPosts: 489
    Originally posted by jinxit

Just read this over at TheForce.net:
    CVG is reporting that LucasArts will be unveiling their KOTOR MMO title within the next 30 day! Click here for the full report and keep your fingers crossed.

Backing up all this is the strongest confirmation yet (other than EA's boss saying it's in the works, of course) from UK newspaper, The Daily Star, of all places.

A column that appeared last Saturday reports that the rag is soon off to San Francisco to "file an exclusive report on the game", after stating that BioWare is working on "a MMO of Knights of the Old Republic".

Anyone here from the UK will confirm that the Daily Star is more known over here for being more a daily rag than a serious newspaper, it deals mostly in sport and gossip, the more seedy the gossip the better, I dont trust this statement from them at all.

The only confirmation I'll take seriously will be the official press release from LucasArts, BioWare, and EA. Until then everything is just gossip and rumor, so we'll all have to wait and see.

When we get back from where we are going, we will return to where we were. I know people there!

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Some British Journalist announced he was flying to San Fran to do a review of Bioware's new Kotor MMO. 

This could mean an announcement is possibly imminent as seen in this article:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=198467

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Christmas in October?

If this is true,  October is going to be one sweet month for me. Between this and getting FALLOUT 3 into my hands, I'm gonna be one happy gamer.

....And I promise I won't gloat for like, two years of 'I told you so...' hehe

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

Just an observation... the CLONE WARS cartoon series kicks off today... It'd be really sweet if the MMORPG was announced with it...

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

Originally posted by DeaconX

Just an observation... the CLONE WARS cartoon series kicks off today... It'd be really sweet if the MMORPG was announced with it...

There might be an announcement during the show, because according to the Turner Newsroom press site(Which I am a member of for my blog, Media Monkey Ninja.). EA is a sponsor for Star Wars: The Clone Wars series.

Here  is the press release:

Cartoon Network Announces Sponsors for STAR WARS™: THE CLONE WARS™

Cartoon Network will feature exclusive content this October during commercial breaks from the anticipated premiere of STAR WARS: THE CLONE WARS, the first weekly television series from Lucasfilm Animation. Walden Media and EA will both utilize the high profile night of programming to promote their upcoming properties through two custom promotions. STAR WARS: THE CLONE WARS premieres on Cartoon Network Friday, October 3 at 9 p.m. (ET, PT) with a special one-hour presentation that anchors the Network’s all-new night of fantasy, action and adventure.

http://news.turner.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=3907

So something might be said during the premiere tonight.

When we get back from where we are going, we will return to where we were. I know people there!

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Been playing Bioware games for the longest time, my favorite being NWN and Masses Effect a close second. Bioware has always had successful games and I suspect KOTOR to be well done as well. Can't wait to see what it looks like.

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

I love Bioware games, but if you expect anything like a sandbox from them, in my opinion you'll be sorely disappointed. When it comes to gameplay, they're pretty much on the opposite end of the spectrum. Sandbox is about giving you a pen, a blank paper and a concept - it's a cool attitude as far as creativity classes go, but excuse me if I go with Dostoevsky here instead of what students may or may not come up with :)

On the other hand, this does not mean Bioware's stuff feels cramped. In terms of story-driven single player RPG, they've provided us with some of the most choice-and-consequence based games I've ever played. Yes, you did follow a story but somehow they did manage to give you a sense of freedom - it was quite a rush. For an MMO, I'd expect them to turn that sense of freedom up by quite a bit.

I'm a sucker for storytelling. And I think what's not been done right in MMOs yet - contrary to popular belief - is a good story-driven MMO. No, not even LOTRO. Nothing on the level of a Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn or a Planescape: Torment (which was from Black Isle, my favourite just above Bioware). Whereas I'd say we've seen quite a few solid sandbox products like UO, SWG and EVE, I've yet to see a successful MMO where most of the players were *compelled* to keep up with the story. If Bioware can do this, if they can bring such story-awareness into the MMO, it'd be a great accomplishment.

Originally posted by DeaconX

There might be an announcement during the show, because according to the Turner Newsroom press site(Which I am a member of for my blog, Media Monkey Ninja.). EA is a sponsor for Star Wars: The Clone Wars series.

Here  is the press release:

Cartoon Network Announces Sponsors for STAR WARS™: THE CLONE WARS™

Cartoon Network will feature exclusive content this October during commercial breaks from the anticipated premiere of STAR WARS: THE CLONE WARS, the first weekly television series from Lucasfilm Animation. Walden Media and EA will both utilize the high profile night of programming to promote their upcoming properties through two custom promotions. STAR WARS: THE CLONE WARS premieres on Cartoon Network Friday, October 3 at 9 p.m. (ET, PT) with a special one-hour presentation that anchors the Network’s all-new night of fantasy, action and adventure.

http://news.turner.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=3907

So something might be said during the premiere tonight.

Now THAT is interesting to me.  That must be one heck of a serious partnership of some sort for EA to actually EXCLUSIVELY premiere upcoming properties through custom promotions.  It's MOST LIKELY Dead Space, my guess, but this could actually be onto something.

I kind of fear that it will actually be a CLONE WARS MMORPG [which IS technically still the OLD REPUBLIC in it's last few years] and hope that it will actually be set thousands of years before the Clone Wars instead.

- I would understand the reasons for making a Clone Wars MMORPG [Cartoon Tie In = possibly somehow interactive as they already have 100 episodes of the cartoon DONE so they know what's coming down the line, Merchandising possibility, familiarity for the public, etc.] but the Old Republic of long ago has more appeal to me personally.  Either way really, I'm excited, happy and quite confident in BioWare to deliver an incredible MMORPG no matter WHAT it is.

• brezelbrezel Member Posts: 202

But it looks like the game won't (officially at least) be a secret for long. LucasArts and BioWare look set to lift the lid on a KOTOR MMO within the next 30 days.

for this news, the mainsource is the UK based newspaper "The Daily Star". a bit strange ... but ok, if we really get a new MMO based on the star wars universe, the internet will experience one of the biggest hypes ever.

• VramiVrami Member Posts: 33

I also would hope that the game is NOT around the clone wars time. But alas we will just have to wait and see. I will be glued to my TV tonight waiting to see if there is any info released =)

Just got done watching the series premiere of Star Wars: The Clone Wars. Which might I say really ROCKED! Cartoon Network pwns all other shows on Friday nights now with this show. Well apparentlly EA didn't announce the Star Wars KOTOR MMO during the premiere.  The EA ADs were for Sim City Creator and My Sims Kingdom. So we still gotta wait to see if there is going to be announcement this month or not.

• i_own_ui_own_u Member UncommonPosts: 314

I would quit everything if this game is what it's hyped to be. But sadly, it may seem too good to be true though.

I've gotta say the Clone Wars cartoon WAS better than the movie.  Though it's obviously for kids, which is why you have to let it slide with certain things like the droids having personality and making stupid jokes...

On another note...

Anyone know who actually authored the article and stated

"I'll be heading over to the Lucas Arts studio in San Francisco next month to file an exclusive report on the game which has already become one of the most hotly anticipated titles of 2009."

?

http://medialib.computerandvideogames.com/screens/screenshot_205270.jpg

I just realized... Not sure if anyone's posted or noticed this but... remember when BioWare and LucasArts announced their collaboration a year ago?

http://www.lucasartsbioware.com/

Like... a year ago, OCTOBER 30th 2007... so one year later this rumour about them confirming the project comes out? Interesting no?  If true, I guess the 30th is our best bet to find out :)

According to IGN and Gamasutra, the annoucement of the KOTOR MMO should be coming October 21st, 2008. So we'll know soon if this is true or just another rumor tease.

According to IGN and Gamasutra, the annoucement of the KOTOR MMO should be coming October 21st, 2008. So we'll know soon if this is true or just another rumor tease.

Sweet! 

If you look at this new Postcard it is 100% certain the setting is Star Wars - the Sith Statues, the TECH on the walls, pure star wars... BUT it still doesn't really give away era... though neither Clone Wars or the period between eps 3 and 4 [Live action series] deal heavily with the Sith which still make it seem like 'OLDER Republic' times...

Anyone think it might still be a KOTOR 3, perhaps with online features? Like you play through KOTOR 3 and take your character online afterward? Or something like Neverwitner Nights?

• efefiaefefia Member Posts: 631

Deacon, check your pm's pls

...The spread of secondary and latterly of tertiary education has created a large population of people, often with well developed literary and scholarly tastes, who have been educated far beyond their capacity to undertake analytical thought.

Originally posted by efefia

Deacon, check your pm's pls

You got it.  Hope all is well mate.

Well dang, that does look like classic KOTOR design but I dont think it will be set in any of the era's that have already been visited, I think it will be set slap bang in the middle of Darth Banes rise and purge of the different sith factions.

I'm still unsure if this will be a KOTOR mmo, I do want to be proved wrong about that but I do strongly believe this will just be KOTOR 3 with with a multiplayer element and a quest creator. Just like Neverwinter Nights.

http://www.gamedaily.com/games/knights-of-the-old-republic-online/pc/game-main/list/

Genre

MMORPG Release Date

09/01/2009

Publisher

Electronic Arts Developer

BioWare

Hmmm... would be in time for my birthday, but somehow I'm inclined to doubt the 'truthiness' of this information, GameDaily....

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

it will definately be a kotor like game. whether it will be a true MMO, who knows, it may end up very instanced. what time frame it will eb in? know one knows but from image looks very like some of the ancient places in kotor, so I am glad seems like it will be near the kotor period. i'm sure it will be a good game, wether its the type of game we all want it to be? I doubt.

many want a sandbox, sorry I doubt that. it may be like mentioned before an ORPG. personally I want a 1st/3rd person shooter twitch style combat and the least amount of instancing as possible ;) with good pvp system, and yet still bioware's magic touch for story, characters and setting. and a leveling progression system like in kotor would be nice. I sincerely doubt it will be what i want it to be, prolly just like kotor 1 and 2 but totally online, I would still play it just get bored of that combat system quickly.

My blog: image