Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jagex: How long have they lied?

SimiswimmSimiswimm Member Posts: 127

There are about 160 RuneScape servers (They skip some numbers). 160x2000=320,000. I remember them at one point advertising that they had 340,000 players on at one time... based on the fact they'd need 10 more servers (when they actually had less back then than they do now) doesn't that mean right there, even at the peak of their popularity, that they were lying? My question is: why?

Comments

• devilisciousdeviliscious Member UncommonPosts: 4,359

Mopar are illegal servers not related to  their game servers ran by others not Jagex so why would they count those when they are always trying to get them shut down?!!  I thought Mopar was created by stolen code lol.

• Palo_godPalo_god Member UncommonPosts: 171

I’m pretty sure they did it to attract more players.

• SimiswimmSimiswimm Member Posts: 127
    Originally posted by deviliscious

Mopar are illegal servers not related to  their game servers ran by others not Jagex so why would they count those when they are always trying to get them shut down?!!  I thought Mopar was created by stolen code lol.

If they really wanted it shut down, I don't think it'd be too hard lmao. I just added it as one of those filler options for laughs.

• devilisciousdeviliscious Member UncommonPosts: 4,359

I thought they keep shutting down the servers as they can. They have shut down many servers in the past, I have no idea what they have been doing about that recently  because I haven't been keeping up with it, I would have figured they would be even more aggressive towards it considering their number losses in the last year.

Originally posted by deviliscious

I thought they keep shutting down the servers as they can. They have shut down many servers in the past, I have no idea what they have been doing about that recently  because I haven't been keeping up with it, I would have figured they would be even more aggressive towards it considering their number losses in the last year.

Lol... Sorry, I just realized after several days what you were refering to. Sorry, slow me.

• nightwing70nightwing70 Member Posts: 142

They cound mopar :D lol

• evilslimeevilslime Member Posts: 6

If you ever played when they released con. All servers had over 1800 players...

Originally posted by evilslime

If you ever played when they released con. All servers had over 1800 players...

Which still doesn't equal 340,000.. Read the post before commenting on it, please.

{ Mod Edit }

• donuts185donuts185 Member Posts: 35

LOL UR PROBALY RITE ABOUT HIM BEING ONE OF THOSE DEFENDER OF RS. BUT I THINK THE REASON IS THAT THEY SHOWED THAT MATH PROBLEM TO MAKE THEM SELFS LOOK COOLER. ROLF

• Matt269Matt269 Member Posts: 124
    Originally posted by donuts185

LOL UR PROBALY RITE ABOUT HIM BEING ONE OF THOSE DEFENDER OF RS. BUT I THINK THE REASON IS THAT THEY SHOWED THAT MATH PROBLEM TO MAKE THEM SELFS LOOK COOLER. ROLF

Yeha cause showing fuzzy math on the internet makes you cool. lmao. but seriously I do think that jagex's player count is a bit off. anyone ever seen the player count above 500,000 back in the good ole days. Well i have and technically its not possible since each server has a 2000 player limit.

Originally posted by Matt269

Originally posted by some guy

Stuff

Yeha cause showing fuzzy math on the internet makes you cool. lmao. but seriously I do think that jagex's player count is a bit off. anyone ever seen the player count above 500,000 back in the good ole days. Well i have and technically its not possible since each server has a 2000 player limit.

500,000? Never saw that one... That must have happened when Jagex's "Player Count Buff" script had an error and added 400,000 instead of 40,000 or something...

• donuts185donuts185 Member Posts: 35

in free world they say there like 500 people. one day when it said that i checked all over and there was only 2 person on that world. me of course and some lvl 3 noob

Totally believeable, mainly because it's very easy to look over the entire f2p world to see how many people are really logged on.

• BlisseyBlissey Member Posts: 515

Good observation my friend.  Very common to see 30,000 players online these days.

By lying ,they're just screwing up their reputation..

• BonemaneBonemane Member UncommonPosts: 353

Alot of companies do that just to make themselves seem bigger than they actually are. Some do it so they don't lose face with the public even though their game is doing piss poor.

As for illegal servers. Companies usually don't care as long as they don't charge people to play or try to make it seem like they made the game. Illegal servers usually have way less people anyway (no more than about 1500 -5000 people). I've seen hundreds of illegal servers for popular p2p and f2p games such as Ragnarok Online, World of Warcraft, Knight Online, etc that have been up for years; some since the games came out.

That's great, as long as I don't put my wallet in their face i have no problem. Microsoft is a great  example.

• acephaloidacephaloid Member Posts: 31

They probably meant 340,000 players at peak times, which is not unreasonable. They're hardly going to advertise the numbers when they're at their lowest for the day/month/year.

C'mon. They might be stupid but give them at least a little credit

No offense here but why should I give them credit if I don't play their games? I have regularly played their games before and that determines how I "depict" this group of elitist scammers how they treated me WHEN I was still playing.

OK. I understand you.

The thing is, mistakes are made, in any large business it's inevitable. Lately Jagex have admitted some of their's...they probably still have a way to go with that.

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

Concurrent users is not the same as subscribed/registered players. Your entire basis for this is false. Your entire player base will never be connected at the same time.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

Even if they admitted it, it doens't mean anything. I could kill someone, admit that I did it, and he would still be dead. Summary: If you don't see it, don't believe it.

If I don't see any hands on work  I won't even look at it.. NOT some obviously degrading indirect unimportant work like the "evil tree" or "dumbing down bh" or "taking out the SOS". You know what I mean.

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615
    Originally posted by Blissey

Even if they admitted it, it doens't mean anything. I could kill someone, admit that I did it, and he would still be dead. Summary: If you don't see it, don't believe it.
    If I don't see any hands on work  I won't even look at it.. NOT some obviously degrading indirect unimportant work like the "evil tree" or "dumbing down bh" or "taking out the SOS". You know what I mean.

What? You skipped my post didn't you.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

(above) Who's post were you responding to?

Blissey - agree with you, the mistake has been made and can't be undone but I know that I don't appreciate being blamed for someone's else mistakes and the same is probably true for Jagex.

Clearly things have not been right there or there wouldn't have been a regime change.

Originally posted by acephaloid

(above) Who's post were you responding to?
    Blissey - agree with you, the mistake has been made and can't be undone but I know that I don't appreciate being blamed for someone's else mistakes and the same is probably true for Jagex.
    Clearly things have not been right there or there wouldn't have been a regime change.

Was it just a PR Stunt?