Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So World of warcraft must be somewhat scared.

13»

Comments

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013

heh if DF comes out and its 70% of what aventurine promised i think blizzard will have loads of reasons to worrying about..

War wont make it to take the throne of wow for a very simple reason ..its wow revamped in a more pvp aspect

Only thing that truly seprate a medieval fantasy theme  mmorpg is the combat system /combat mechanics...

cause simply in all mmorpg's 80 % of your game time you fight.

And it seems wow +war use exactly the asame auto-attack +clicking some skills for extra attacks.

I thoguht tbh that AOC would be the detah of wow but never happened due to much unfinished content and unpolished combat system .

Only thing therefore that can kill wow is something really diferent like DF .. ofc DF has some things that may annoy some strict pve rs corspe looting not much of safe zones , but since the combat is so thrilling im sure all sensible players will try it and make their own judgements.

Cronicles of spellborn also has a similar manual combat system but some ppl say around that it lacks in many departments of the game ,but i guess we ll see soon enough for that too.

Gameplay above all screw graficks gief oblivion online :D

• NewhopesNewhopes Member Posts: 458

War won't even get close to killing WOW ay best Ithink it'll have about the same subs long term as LOTR which isn't bad but no where near WOW at it's peak.The only way I can see it dieing is purely from old age.

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880
    Originally posted by Dubel

Originally posted by Pyro240

Originally posted by sgel

scared? of what?
    lol... will you guys every stop imagining bullshit like this?

Wow is not threatened by anything... let alone WAR....
    war is just another mmo which will have a few hundread thousand players playing... just like lotro and aoc.... that's it...
    get used to it...

I'm going to laugh so hard in your face when WAR reaches 1million subs!

=)

I wanted a change from WoW, guess what, Im going back.  WARs public quest is awsome but thats it and its not enough to keep me away from WoW. Hopefully WoW will steal the idea of PQs and implement them down the road.  WAR is very rough around the edges and you can feel it by the ingame mechanics. It was rushed out the door to beat WoWs xpack.

the game was far from rushed. it was by far the most polished newly released game to ever hit the market. add it that fact the launch was also incredibly smooth and you have yourself one satisfied customer. give WAR a year and it will be well over the 1mil mark. oh and yes i do play wow and still do but i play war as well.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    Originally posted by woody1974

Originally posted by yugyug

War is a failure already, yes I am playing it currently.
    Im also in WotLK beta, and its great.
    Guess WAR did about as good a job of killing WoW as AoC, LotRO, Vanguard, etc

WOTLK is so great that you spent your time play WAR. lol cmon you can do better than that.

I don't understand why some people STILL do NOT get the simple concept that some of us play MORE THAN ONE FREAKING GAME.

If you're impoverished and cannot afford to play multiple games, I'm truly sorry, but....to make the bizarre assumption that EVERYONE plays only ONE MMO, is pretty stupid.

I play SEVERAL MMOs.  I still have my absolute favorite.  I'm among the "paid for WAR, wanted to like it, won't be back after the first month" bunch (and yes, there are a lot of us).  So the Warhammer fans need to just be content that their new "fave" is going to be successful, from a marketing perspective, but it's NOT going to top World of Warcraft's income, at least not in the immediate future, IF ever.  That's just ludicrous thinking.  Just be happy it's not AoC (for you) and play it.  Why people seem to feel a need to bash everyone ELSE'S favorite games, I do not know.

Warhammer is a decent game, probably even a GOOD game, for people who enjoy that style of play.  WoW is also a decent game, for people who enjoy THAT style of game.  The whole gaming community should just be giddy that we even HAVE choices, but no, instead they want to bicker about pointless things in the "other" gamers' gamesof choice.  Why does it matter?  If you don't LIKE a game.....DON'T PLAY IT.  Seems pretty simple to me.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• BurnthebedBurnthebed Member Posts: 443
    Originally posted by girlgeek

Originally posted by woody1974

Originally posted by yugyug

War is a failure already, yes I am playing it currently.
    Im also in WotLK beta, and its great.
    Guess WAR did about as good a job of killing WoW as AoC, LotRO, Vanguard, etc

WOTLK is so great that you spent your time play WAR. lol cmon you can do better than that.

I don't understand why some people STILL do NOT get the simple concept that some of us play MORE THAN ONE FREAKING GAME.

If you're impoverished and cannot afford to play multiple games, I'm truly sorry, but....to make the bizarre assumption that EVERYONE plays only ONE MMO, is pretty stupid.

I play SEVERAL MMOs.  I still have my absolute favorite.  I'm among the "paid for WAR, wanted to like it, won't be back after the first month" bunch (and yes, there are a lot of us).  So the Warhammer fans need to just be content that their new "fave" is going to be successful, from a marketing perspective, but it's NOT going to top World of Warcraft's income, at least not in the immediate future, IF ever.  That's just ludicrous thinking.  Just be happy it's not AoC (for you) and play it.  Why people seem to feel a need to bash everyone ELSE'S favorite games, I do not know.

Warhammer is a decent game, probably even a GOOD game, for people who enjoy that style of play.  WoW is also a decent game, for people who enjoy THAT style of game.  The whole gaming community should just be giddy that we even HAVE choices, but no, instead they want to bicker about pointless things in the "other" gamers' gamesof choice.  Why does it matter?  If you don't LIKE a game.....DON'T PLAY IT.  Seems pretty simple to me.

Woah now Paris, not ALL of us have rich mommies and daddies to pay for our gaming subs!

You're talking about paying 30-60 dollars a month here! That's ludicrous!

/sarcasm off

The sleeper awakes...and rides his dirtbike to the mall.

• Cabe2323Cabe2323 Member Posts: 2,939

People need to calm down.  I never stated nor implied that WAR was going to top WoW in subscriptions.  What I said is "Somewhat scared".  Meaning they must be seeing a significant decrease in their subscriptions. 

Sorry but when BC came out they didn't trivilize the old level 60 Raiding content.  Don't even try and pull that BS and say they did because that is a lie.  I played when BC came out (I still have an active account, although I haven't logged on since WAR came out).

My point is that between LOTRO, AoC and WAR Blizzard must be seeing subscription decline that is significant enough for them to make massive changes.  Combine this with the fact that Blizzard is copying some of the core features of WAR, LOTRO and AoC and you would have to be delusional to not see it.  If  WoW was doing Great (and by Great I mean they were still increasing their subscriptions here in NA/EU) there would be no reason for the drastic changes to their gameplan. 

Currently playing:
    LOTRO & WoW (not much WoW though because Mines of Moria rocks!!!!)

Looking Foward too:
    Bioware games (Dragon Age & Star Wars The Old Republic)

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582
    Originally posted by Cabe2323

People need to calm down.  I never stated nor implied that WAR was going to top WoW in subscriptions.  What I said is "Somewhat scared".  Meaning they must be seeing a significant decrease in their subscriptions. 
    Sorry but when BC came out they didn't trivilize the old level 60 Raiding content.  Don't even try and pull that BS and say they did because that is a lie.  I played when BC came out (I still have an active account, although I haven't logged on since WAR came out).
    My point is that between LOTRO, AoC and WAR Blizzard must be seeing subscription decline that is significant enough for them to make massive changes.  Combine this with the fact that Blizzard is copying some of the core features of WAR, LOTRO and AoC and you would have to be delusional to not see it.  If  WoW was doing Great (and by Great I mean they were still increasing their subscriptions here in NA/EU) there would be no reason for the drastic changes to their gameplan. 

But you are failing to read the replies and respond to a few different things

1. When BC came out, they DID nerf the exp needed to lvl to 60, and the did nerf a lot of elite quests, and they did increase the experience you get from quests so that players leveled faster.  Maybe they just found one more thing to do to make leveling easier.. is it so hard to believe that they just said " hey, maybe we can also do this too"

2.  When BC came out, there was a big jump in stats for gear.  A new person leveling from 55-61 would ALREADY see a big jump in gear just from questing and wouldn't need to do old instances at 60.

3.  They are seriously nerfing mana/healing when the 3.0 patch comes live.  So yes, they are nerfing the HPs of raid mobs, but they are drastically nerfing the ability of healers to keep tanks alive for long fights.  If they didn't nerf the hps of the bosses, a lot of guilds would take a huge step backward in their raid progression.  Raids they were doing before 3.0 would become nearly impossible.

4. Warhammer is a complete failure at the moment.   Its subscriber has not grown since the first week and it's box sales have fallen off the charts since the first week.   Everyone can say that they expect it 'to grow'.... but how do they see that when nobody is buying the box anymore.  If you read any of the forums, you can tell there is a significant percentage (25ish) who simply are not going to subscribe after the free month.  The number of people buying boxes is dwarfed by the people that are going to quit in a couple weeks.  There is no statistic that shows any growth for warhammer, except some players 'thinking' it is going to happen.  Just for comparison.. WOW is still growing.. it's latest release in April had it at 10.9m subscribers, and all time high... 4 years after launch.  What does it say about Warhammer that it's peak was in the first week and it has decreased since then?

Sure, Blizzard hopefully will learn some things from Warhammer ( colored armor, Public quests and BG queueing), but thats about it, and it doesnt mean they are scared.   After Oct 15th, Warhammer will have about 200k subscribers, and WOW will have about 5.5M subscribers (NA/EU).

• Silverthorn8Silverthorn8 Member UncommonPosts: 510

I'm in two minds about both war and wow right now, since they are both very flawed in very different ways.

Everything I'm reading about wotlk is seriously starting to turn me off buying it, blizz are just making way too many changes.

War on the otherhand has a few issues which are slightly putting me off it right now, or should I say maybe I'm not sure end game is going to be that great.

Just as well wow's new patch will be out around the time my 30 days on war are up, that will for me be the great decider as to which company gets my hard earned cash. (Starting think think neither at the moment).

• zeuseasonzeuseason Member UncommonPosts: 69

This is funny...WoW scared?!  HAHAHA

They are getting ready for Lich King just like they did BC.

• bodypassbodypass Member Posts: 770

I saw the latest stats on War players.

And it doesn't look promising at all.

If there is anyone scared at the moment it is EA, because with the losses thay had lately another two duds (Spore and War) could have very serious consequences for that company. Certainly in the PC format.

EA stocks are going from 49.40 to 32.68 in one month time (todays loss was 1.29% btw). Vivendi went from 27.5 to 23.8 but the difference is every analyst recom is "buy" at the moment.

It is NOT good if a new MMORPG after 15 days of play hasn't got a growth percentage of 5%. In fact during the week LESS people play WAR than AoC had in its first 3 weeks.

This stagnation - together with a launch and daily new players in the first weeks - can only mean one thing. Some players stop playing even before their free time is up.

• woody1974woody1974 Member Posts: 257

How can you tell when the WOW Fanbois are around? There are several signs, but I will just give you a few.

1. They post 5 or 6 paragraphs of sleepy garbage filled comments.

2. They talk about WOW's 10 million subs, which is always good for a laugh.

3. They posts Sales and Stock numbers..

The list goes on and on......These guys eat, sleep, drink, and master**** to WOW. Hell I even saw a bashing session going on in the Hello Kitty game Forums over its sub numbers.

Thats how lame and threatened they feel, because they know that WOTLK is going to flop just like BC....

It's sad but it's war that needs to be worryed to be honest, I've already seen a large drop in new players lately when i've been in T1 lands and talked to low lvl most seem to be rerolls which is very alarming considering how young the game is.Also the servers don't seem to be filling out which alot of people said would do in the EU where still seeing low/low servers which is never a good sign.

• Shin-RaShin-Ra Member Posts: 82

Do you honestly think that Blizzard feels at all scared of war and there poorly financed producers???

And do you honestly think that Blizzard cares if few ppl leave wow for warhammer? 

Blizzard is putting all her efforts into the new next gen mmo and lets be realistic it will simply crush anything thats out now and for years to come. Blizzard has the finance to buy out the best engineers in the world and it has the experience to produce truly amazing games.

Warhammer was rushed and thanks to EA underfunded and will remain along side games like LOTR and AOC. This is unfortunate as I was looking forward to Warhammer and I have leveled past 25 however there is nothing new and nothing exiting in the game and it lacks any natural beauty and this is just a simple fact and cant be argued with,(All tho know doubt some will try).

Im not saying this because im a wow fan as i dont play that anymore, however wow still remains the best mmo of its kind available to date.

If however you want something more complex i would recommend trying eve.

• woody1974woody1974 Member Posts: 257
    Originally posted by Newhopes

It's sad but it's war that needs to be worryed to be honest, I've already seen a large drop in new players lately when i've been in T1 lands and talked to low lvl most seem to be rerolls which is very alarming considering how young the game is.Also the servers don't seem to be filling out which alot of people said would do in the EU where still seeing low/low servers which is never a good sign.

I haven't seen a large drop at all. How can you tell people are rerolls by looking at them. lol get real. I wait 1 minute in scenario ques b4 they pop. The time of the day has alot to do with how many people are online. last night we had 2 huge battles over the keeps, so your comment is null and void.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Cabe2323

Massively's sister site WoW Insider is reporting that the upcoming mega-patch to World of Warcraft will include nerfs. But not to your precious Hunter or Warlock ... no, the nerfs are hitting the bosses of the Burning Crusade and Outlands. Major changes to the way fundamental game mechanics work have resulted in bosses that are significantly more challenging than they were intended to be when the BC expansion was released. To combat this, every boss in Outlands has had their health reduced by (in some circumstances) up to 30%.
    Blogger Alex Ziebart runs down the numerous 'old style' raid tactics that, now deprecated, the Blizzard developers had to tune for. "Shaman stacking", and "Shadow Priest mana batteries" were just two of the tactics that neccessitated these changes. Alex views these changes as "an absolutely required retuning", and we're inclined to agree. Check out the discussion of the latest PTR patch to World of Warcraft, and plenty of analysis, at WoW Insider.
    Why else would they nerf BC content so shortly after WAR came out?   It has seemed to work fine for them for quite a long time and now all of a sudden they want to make the content easier for everyone. 

I would more say it is because their upcoming expansion  they don't want the old bosses be as hard as the new ones. And any loot you get will be severly outdated soon anyways.

Wow will start worry about WAR when and if WAR get 1 million+ subs. I think Blizz won't lose any sleep over any game that don't have 10% ofwhat they have. No Im not a wow fanboi, don't even play it but lets face it, wow earn so much money that they can bath in it.  But I wont be surprised if wow steals somethings they like from WAR, they have always done that.

• verndvernd Member Posts: 600

Blizzard has nothing to worry about. I see this as a bone thrown to some of the players that might be on the cusp of breaking into the upper tiers of gameplay. When BC launched, everyone pretty much stopped running the old content and quite a few people lamented the fact that they never had a chance to see Naxx. Instead of repeating history, Blizzard is basically saying "who cares? let them have some fun with it for a month before they move on and never look back."

Note I am not particularly a WoW fan either. I don't think I have ever posted on the WoW forum here and I don't plan to buy the expac since my WoW account was closed back in the AQ40 days and only briefly reactivated for the first month of BC.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Shin-Ra

Blizzard is putting all her efforts into the new next gen mmo and lets be realistic it will simply crush anything thats out now and for years to come. Blizzard has the finance to buy out the best engineers in the world and it has the experience to produce truly amazing games.

Hey, you sounds like the DF fans... Blizz do have made many big games in the past but past succes is not something that says they will succed in the fututer too. Many of Best people have quit and started their own companies. It is very possible that they have filled those places with good people but the future really have to prove that.

Look on the names on who made Starcraft, Diablo and Warcraft 3, few of those remains today... And many who worked at early wow have quited including the guy who did all the early programming Jeff Stain (He's God)...

Im not saying that Blizz next MMO woll fail but you are speaking about a game we know nothing about... Wait until you can back it up with praising a upcomming game. Also they will complete with the other company that made many bestselling game: Bioware... They still have their best devs working for them.

• TheWightTheWight Member Posts: 11

Silly thread is silly.

Can we stick to talking about WAR please, instead of giving WAR fans a bad name by constantly showing how insecure some on this forum are about the success of WAR compared to WoW?

I'll happily admit my lack of vision if WAR reached 10 millions worldwide, or 4.5 millions in US, Europe and Oceania combined. But right now my take on it "it's simply not gonna happen - accept it, enjoy WAR, and shut the f up about WoW."

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

I don't like any of these games but WAR being a pvp-centric game, it won't be very strong in subscribers. WoW is doing these changes to prepare for the expansion, for me the raids in WoW are so dull- my shaman was meant to be elemental with all those totems but does better as resto, my priest was meant for healing but does better as shadow, mana generating for nearly 2 hours straight is so stupidly boring, I don't know how WoW can maintain 10M subs with gameplay like that but that's just me.

• AringtonArington Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by Azrile

Blizzard will constantly be nerfing 'old' content because they want as many players as possible to be ready to buy Wraith on November 13th.
    On October 14, they are also reducing the exp needed to go from 60-70 by about 30%.   Again, this isn't because of Warhammer, it's because they want players to be at 70 and ready for Wrath.
    WOW has nothing to worry about from Warhammer.  Warhammer box sales have dropped to #30 already, and Xfire is showing a DECREASE in players.  This Wednesday had 15% less players than last Wednesday.  And read these forums, there are a lot of us that won't be logging in once our free time is over.

You my friend are full of crap. You're constantly stating lies. As of right now Warhammer online is the number 2 best selling MMORPG game according to Gamestop. As far as X-Fire goes it is in the same place it was a week ago.

I'm not sure how WOW is doing right now but there are currently 50 servers for WAR and even now some of them have a queue to even log in.

The truth be told I thought I would really not like WAR. I'm very surprised at how good it is and I'm very happy that there are so many people playing. If this many people were playing AOC I would still be playing that game.

Anyways the point is that it seems with every new game, you get some guy like Azrile who just comes on the board and makes up crap that is nowhere near being true.  If WOW isn't scared of WAR's success then Azrile you shouldn't be either.

• bodypassbodypass Member Posts: 770
    Originally posted by Arington

Blizzard will constantly be nerfing 'old' content because they want as many players as possible to be ready to buy Wraith on November 13th.
    On October 14, they are also reducing the exp needed to go from 60-70 by about 30%.   Again, this isn't because of Warhammer, it's because they want players to be at 70 and ready for Wrath.
    WOW has nothing to worry about from Warhammer.  Warhammer box sales have dropped to #30 already, and Xfire is showing a DECREASE in players.  This Wednesday had 15% less players than last Wednesday.  And read these forums, there are a lot of us that won't be logging in once our free time is over.

You my friend are full of crap. You're constantly stating lies. As of right now Warhammer online is the number 2 best selling MMORPG game according to Gamestop. As far as X-Fire goes it is in the same place it was a week ago.

I'm not sure how WOW is doing right now but there are currently 50 servers for WAR and even now some of them have a queue to even log in.

The truth be told I thought I would really not like WAR. I'm very surprised at how good it is and I'm very happy that there are so many people playing. If this many people were playing AOC I would still be playing that game.

Anyways the point is that it seems with every new game, you get some guy like Azrile who just comes on the board and makes up crap that is nowhere near being true.  If WOW isn't scared of WAR's success then Azrile you shouldn't be either.

Well just watch the stats the following weeks. I am used to seeing the same trend we always see in these last 3 years. I bet you a hundred Euros that War will be UNDER GW in xfire playings within 6 weeks time.

Pay to play it's called and it killed every other subscription based MMORPG to reside in the top 10 games being played except for one.

And the queue for WAR servers don't mean a thing, in that there is a rather  low cap on them. Better look at the other half: the ones with the low/low and low/medium status that reside side by side with the capped ones.

Bodypass, that may turn out to be true, or it may not. It certainly isn't true right now though. In fact I just went to the server page and there are now 59 servers. 53 of those servers are for NA, 6 of the 53 are low, 6 of those 53 have queues and the rest are medium to high. That looks very good in my eyes. This is for a game that came out 3 weeks ago.

Some of the queues have over 250 people waiting taking into accont both good and evil sides. On a side note the server I play on says it is medium pop on both sides and I see alot of people everywhere I go. I usually wait less the 30 seconds to get into instanced PVP. Given that, I'm not sure I'd want to be on a high pop server.

Since you made mention of it, how many people are allowed on the servers before it goes it starts a queue?

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582
    Originally posted by Arington

Go to Amazon.com and pull up games.  Warhammer is like #28 right now.   OMG.. i just read what you wrote.. um.. yeah..  Warhammer is #2 for MMORPGs.. great for them, they outsold AOC.. lol..   You can see the real story by looking at overall game sales.. Warhammer was #2 for about week, now they are #28.. a significant decrease in sales overall.   COnsider that WOW has like 4 boxes ranked ahead of War, and that is for NEW BOX SALES.   A 4 year old game is outselling a game that has been out for 3 weeks.

Pull up Xfire and look at the graph.  Put your mouse over last Saturdays peak, and then this Saturday's peak.. it is roughly 15% less.   Yes, Warhammer is still 'ranked' #5, but it's actual players has showed a 15% drop every day for the past 10 days (comparing week over week).  There has been 1 day (last monday) where Warhammer was up over the previous Monday.  Every other day has been a significant decrease.

I've seen a sharp decline in new players,i've been in the new areas a fair bit and 70-80% of the low levels I've talked to seem to be rerolls or alts which considering the games only been out for 2 weeks is a worrying sign.

I'll probably get flamed for it but you can only bury your head in the sand for so long.

Azrile Amazon.com has no effect on the  actual sales ranking of games, none. I don't care if WAR was number 800 on Amazon it would have no true relevance to the actual number of games sold. This is the same for anything on Amazon, music, videos, game consoles, books,  anything. The quantity of items they sell are so small that they could sell 30 copies of Barbie Playhouse and it will jump 300 spots and suddenly be the  number 3 best selling game. For your own sake do yourself a favor and don't use Amazon to back up your claims.

Now Gamestop is different, it's sales will actually almost match exactly with released NPD sales data. They only focus on games and they are major mover in software (they are arguably the biggest) right now WAR is the number 8 best selling game there is and that includes all console games. In fact right now there is not a single  MMORPG that is released that is selling better then WAR not even WOW. The one I mentioned above that is selling better then WAR is the expansion for WOW that you can't even aquire yet.

So as of right now for MMORPG's that you can actually play WAR is the best selling game. You can't do better then that.

As far as X-Fire goes, it is to be expected that playtime will drop a bit after the first few weeks. When people first get a game they have a tendency to play it like crazy before they get more into a groove and start doing more normal things in thier lives. This is especially true of MMORPG' players. It certainly doesn't mean 15% of the people playing left the game. All it means is that they are playing 15% less of the time.

Time will tell how successful WAR is but as of right now it is very successful, stating otherwise is just not true. In fact given the lenth of time WAR has been out I don't think there has ever been a more successful MMORPG.