Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New details emerge of Star Trek Online

AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Could see this posted anywhere. As I am an avid fan of ST and a long time player of games relating to ST, been following this game too.

Saw this update on the website from the 17th : startrekonline.com/dev_blog/ask_cryptic_09-17-08

"More details on the exact roles and differences are coming soon, but for now, suffice it to say that the ship roles are a combination of naval combat and traditional MMO gameplay," the Q&A reads.

"Klingon ships are different, and reflect their style and culture. And everything will be very customisable and very Star Trek."

And it's not just ships you'll be able to muck about with. "You will be able to modify and customise the uniform of your characters, but it will always have the look of a uniform. The costume options will reflect popular pieces from the show, as well as new concepts and styles," reckons Cryptic.

Apparently, Star Trek Online is due out at some point within the next three years.

So after reading this I am happy with the "combination of naval combat and traditional MMO gameplay" I hope they add in some RTS style play that were really popular in the ST franchise of games some years ago and would definately introduce old fans into mmorpg life. Whats your take?

Comments

• ArmySurplusArmySurplus Member Posts: 103

This months Game Informer had a 10 page feature on STO. Some very interesting things in there from Craig Zinkievich, about how extensive the customization will be with both avatars and starships.

Tidbit: "New Star Trek episodes rarely passed without the appearance of some new alien species. Because of that, players are allowed for forego the more common races and create their own."

Not sure if that is news to anyone, I'm trying not to follow the game to closely until closer to launch. Its like being on the verge of starvation and smelling pizza you cannot eat. LOL

Family man first, Gamer second!

ArmySurplus makes no apologies if someone other than him has already posted his reply in part or otherwise. He can’t be expected to read every single post on a thread and makes no promise to do so. If you posted a similar reply before him you undoubtedly stole his thoughts and used them without his written authorization. Please return to your post and edit it so that his post is the first to state whatever the hell he was thinking at the time. Thank you!

• ToadmonkeyToadmonkey Member UncommonPosts: 84
    Originally posted by AmazingAvery

Apparently, Star Trek Online is due out at some point within the next three years.

STO could be out the end of 2009 in bata form.  WOW that is quick.

• GraffGraff Member Posts: 83

Considering most if not all of their pre-production work, concepting and preliminary building was done at PE, so it should be.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    Originally posted by Graff

Considering most if not all of their pre-production work, concepting and preliminary building was done at PE, so it should be.

Sorry but this is just plain false. All they got from PE was some concept art and that is it. learn to read please as Cryptic has stated this in about a half a dozen different places. Just from the general outline of Cryptic's STO it is blatantly obvious to anyone with half a brain that they are NOT using PE's design documents. They are using the Cryptic Engine as well which was totally incompatible with anything that PE had done for art assets. They took concept art and that is it...Everything they have done is 100% Cryptic's work. The only reason they are moving at such a fast place is they already had a working proven engine and all of the design tools in place so they could get right to building the game itself. Cryptic is NOT building PE's STO in any form so please stop saying they are as you are just plain WRONG!

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Could see this posted anywhere. As I am an avid fan of ST and a long time player of games relating to ST, been following this game too.
    Saw this update on the website from the 17th : startrekonline.com/dev_blog/ask_cryptic_09-17-08
    "More details on the exact roles and differences are coming soon, but for now, suffice it to say that the ship roles are a combination of naval combat and traditional MMO gameplay," the Q&A reads.
    "Klingon ships are different, and reflect their style and culture. And everything will be very customisable and very Star Trek."
    And it's not just ships you'll be able to muck about with. "You will be able to modify and customise the uniform of your characters, but it will always have the look of a uniform. The costume options will reflect popular pieces from the show, as well as new concepts and styles," reckons Cryptic.

So after reading this I am happy with the "combination of naval combat and traditional MMO gameplay" I hope they add in some RTS style play that were really popular in the ST franchise of games some years ago and would definately introduce old fans into mmorpg life. Whats your take?

I'm pretty excite dfor this one as I'm just fantasied out right now and I've enjoyed my time playing Crypticsgames before.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• TordakTordak Member Posts: 285
    Originally posted by Graff

Actually,  Cryptic was working on concept and design for STO one full year before PE had to call it quits. 

That's right, whether it was the hint of blood in the water or the result of mystical visions.  Cryptic had begun work on STO without the IP's license and then stepped in to buy it the moment it was available.

Cryptic is also using their own game engine for STO.  So, it's ground up development but Cryptic does own the full rights to PE's work as part of the deal and some similarities between the two companies versions are inevitable... 

Like the fact that in STO there will  be space combat.  ...Umm, well yeah!    

* Life is not black or white, it's shades of grey. But, at it's best/worst, it hints at 32bit color. -Me (a.k.a. RuthlessTimes)

* I do not need to know how to make a better game than you. I just need to know how to cancel my subscription. -Antarious(a slight misquote but the sentiment remains)

• ToadmonkeyToadmonkey Member UncommonPosts: 84
    Originally posted by Tordak

Actually,  Cryptic was working on concept and design for STO one full year before PE had to call it quits.  That's right, whether it was the hint of blood in the water or the result of mystical visions.  Cryptic had begun work on STO without the IP's license and then stepped in to buy it the moment it was available.

I had heard that they were in communications with PE.  Never heard anything suggesting they started working on STO without the license.  WOW  that is bold/risky.

• Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642

Don't hold your breath, this game has already been cancelled once.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    Originally posted by Blazer6992

Don't hold your breath, this game has already been cancelled once.

It didn't get canceled, the company that was making it folded out from under it. It went directly to Cryptic at that time so even though Cryptic chose to start over so they could use their own engine and development tools the development started again without even a slight pause. Cryptic is a well established company with a proven track record. The chances of this game not being launched under Cryptic are pretty much nil.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• ShanniaShannia Member Posts: 2,096

Hey  Ben, glad to see we'll be following Star Trek Online together.  How are you and the Mrs?  Anyway, I'm very excited about this game as well.  Don't know if I'm too thrilled about the graphic quality, but to me it's all about gameplay over graphics anyway. 

Fear not fanbois, we are not trolls, let's take off your tin foil hat and learn what VAPORWARE is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware

"Vaporware is a term used to describe a software or hardware product that is announced by a developer well in advance of release, but which then fails to emerge after having well exceeded the period of development time that was initially claimed or would normally be expected for the development cycle of a similar product."

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543
    Originally posted by Toadmonkey

STO could be out the end of 2009 in bata form.  WOW that is quick.

Cryptic will already be using their in house engine, so it should be pretty quick..