Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who is most important in a party?

A skilled tank?

A skilled healer?

A skilled squad of DPS?

People normally talk of reliable guildy tanks and healers as being the savior of bad groups, but I keep changing my opinion with random pugs I join.

It seems as more bad players play healers and tanks these days I'm noticing a better improvement in those who play DPS classes. Clever use of CC and distracting mobs to save the tank/healer from dying and causing a whole wipe shows true skill over what max healing/threat/dps you can put out.

Who do you think makes or breaks a good group these days?

Comments

• SholShol Member Posts: 361

As always in this order:

tank - healer - rest

Tank innitiates fight, healer makes sure that tank survives it. After the tank has control its dpsing down the mobs.

There are fail-saves nowadays so that a wrong pull isnt an automatic wipe.

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613

Healer.   Any class can survive assults on it it's just a matter multi tasking.

PS:  trinity deserves to DIE HORRIBLY AND IN THE DEEPEST PITS OF HELL.

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• phatpeteyphatpetey Member Posts: 323

That's a good theory.

Without a tank, the healer would always be healing him and his teammates. And after a while the healer can't heal every damage anymore so some of the DPS's will die. Then the healer him self or longrange attackers like mages and rangers will die.

Without a healer the tank won't be able to take all the damage and raiding would take forever since the tank has to recover a lot.

Without the DPS's, killing will go extremly slowly but at the end I think they would make it.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

It depends which kind of game are u playing.

Generally is the Tank , he is the guy that avoids pulling too many, pull adds off the healer/caster, keep aggro when tanking, and generally keeping all the damage on him, so Healer can concentrate all the heals on him rather than healing the entire group constantly.

A healer is more important if the group has a crap tank, in that case you can really see the ability of a healer, but usually when Tank lose control of the situation, the wipe is almost unavoidable no matter how good the healer is (once the mobs are on the healer there is little that can be done to save the situation)

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

they are all equally important. If you dont have one, hen the group is going to take forever, or its gonna suck.

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• KrazcoKrazco Member Posts: 167

i think the most inportant part is a good raid/party leader.. something that feels really really rare.

Want to play: Lego Universe

• AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857

That badly depends on your party loadout, and the specific nature of the game. For instance, I've found that (in small group encounters at least) a pair of good tanks can easily make up for a mediocre or even bad healer by managing aggro between them. Given three good tanks, and I could almost do without a healer entirely, by letting one of the three at a time stand aside and heal himself.

On the other hand, with one excellent healer and at least a mediocre one, almost any class can tank. It's more risky to be sure, but with extra DPS classes, you can take the others down faster as well.

And yes, there have been cases where a good DPS can save the party from a bad healer/tank combo, mostly by taking aggrro just before all hell breaks loose, then losing it before he/she in turn dies. More often though, I've noted that so long as the healer/tank pairing is secure, the DPS guys can be a bunch of absolute dipshits, at least in terms of dishing damage. It might take frustratingly long to deal with X boss, but still.

Overall, I have to agree with the above, the most telling factor is leadership, knowing what resources are available in a group and how to deploy them.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

• AntaranAntaran Member Posts: 579

In my opinion no matter what game you play the whole team is important, not just certain classes..  i come to this conclusion with the basis that a team has to work together, therefore communication is whats important in teamwork, not classes. So my vote is communication..

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574

What the DPS does is very important.  Not many people play DPS role correctly.  For instance yes it's your job to do a lot of damage, but it's also your job to make sure the tank doesn't lose agro which means holding back or using certain abilities to lose agro.  Most DPS people will just run in and expect the tank to hold agro.  People who are smart DPS will give the tank some time build some agro first and not go all out on DPS.

A skilled tank will find ways to maximize agro generation and damage reduction.

A skilled healer will find ways not to pull agro onto themselves when healing the group. 

Many people say this is really easy and needs to change, but in truth I haven't found a group of people who could consistently execute this concept since my days playing Everquest.  Even if Everquest it was diffcult to find people who could play the different roles of tank/healer/DPS/CC properly and that was a game where you had to know your role or your group was dead. 

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,855

They are all important.

A bad Tank wont be able to hold aggro on multiple mobs which means any other mobs will aggro onto the DPS or the Healer, killing them very quickly.

A bad Healer wont be able to keep the Tank up and no matter how good the Tank is he will go down quick without healing.

Bad DPS wont be able to kill mobs fast to minimize damage taken by the Tank(which saves mana for the Healer), they also wouldnt be hold CC(either by not reapplying CC they were in charge of or breaking current CC).

A group functions as a unit.

• TaniquetilTaniquetil Member Posts: 214

Cake and Jelly :)

• x_rast_xx_rast_x Member Posts: 745

They're all equally important.

I can tell you from experience (as a healer), that while the tank and healer are definately the high-vis roles, good DPS makes things a hell of a lot easier.  It's a lot more than just managing your own aggro, it's knowing when to use other abilities to keep a dicey situation from going south that makes all the difference in a small-group setting.

The only game I did a lot of group PvE in was WoW, so I'll use that as an example.

There was this one mage I ran with a lot.  He was a frost mage, and he saved my ass so many times it was almost routine.  I'd pull aggro somehow, he'd frost nova the mobs, we'd back up a couple of steps, tank would come pick them up.   No problem.  Or if there was one running loose he'd keep it snared and kite it around for me.  All this while keeping up his sheep, and he never ice blocked when I was next under him on the threat list.

Or my hunter friend, who would conc shot loose mobs, OT them with his pet, even OT himself until he died in order to keep mobs from going after the squishier people.  And if he did die he didn't care because he knew he saved us from a wipe.  Also never feigned when I was next under him on the threat list.

Or my rogue friends, who would break off the main mob if one got loose and do their best to stunlock it.  And if everything went to complete shit, they'd vanish, and being engineers, do their best to rez me.

Or even my fury warrior friend, who was awesome because he was completely batshit crazy, but not stupid about it.  He knew exactly how much he could tank without stressing me out too much, and routinely offtanked squishies, or traded aggro back and forth with the main tank (since this build has no aggro drops and he'd actually have to slow down, but if I got a mob on me somehow on me he'd drop the good old Reck-Bomb and even the MT wouldn't be able to take the mob back.

If you ask me who the key person in a party is, I'd have to say it's the party leader, no matter what role he was in.  Pre-BC my raid leader was a hunter and he did a damn good job of it, everyone else was secondary, even the tanks.  And if nobody knows what's going on it's going to be a long night, no matter how good the party may be.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by Antaran

In my opinion no matter what game you play the whole team is important, not just certain classes..  i come to this conclusion with the basis that a team has to work together, therefore communication is whats important in teamwork, not classes. So my vote is communication..

Exactly

Same opinion here with me.

• grimbojgrimboj Member Posts: 2,102

Who's important?

Someone with some damn social skills thats who! How many parties have you been in where no one in the party had any social skills? They were just arguing over crap, didn't know the quest and the second some good loot drops they all nerdrage and log. If I join a party wih a level headed person that knows the quest and can give orders without nerdraging then I thank the gods!

I'm not a baby sitter and I don't care whether I'm baby sitting a tank, healer or dps that left his manners at the dinner table.

--
    Note: PlayNC will refuse to allow you access to your account if you forget your password and can't provide a scanned image of the product key for the first product you purchased..... LOL

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by cattypat

A skilled tank?
    A skilled healer?
    A skilled squad of DPS?
    People normally talk of reliable guildy tanks and healers as being the savior of bad groups, but I keep changing my opinion with random pugs I join.
    It seems as more bad players play healers and tanks these days I'm noticing a better improvement in those who play DPS classes. Clever use of CC and distracting mobs to save the tank/healer from dying and causing a whole wipe shows true skill over what max healing/threat/dps you can put out.
    Who do you think makes or breaks a good group these days?

You must not be seeing the KEY WORD >>>PARTY.A party consists of several players all of witch are important for a party to work.That is of course if a game is designed around party play,if not then who cares what you have in it or what you don't.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• phatpeteyphatpetey Member Posts: 323

I've got a new opinion, everyone is equally important. That's the purpose in a party, everyone is important and the party will fail without a tank or a healer or a DPS.

And by the way, it al depends from game to game, some games don't even have healing classes. So "who is the mosr important in a party" can't be answered since it depends of the game and various other factors (the knowledge of the partymembers, and the knowledge of the actual raid).

• boognish75boognish75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,540

the most important thing in a party is strippers and beer

playing eq2 and two worlds

• AlindaleAlindale Member Posts: 134

I've always ran tanks, no matter what game, I make a tank and run it.  I have noticed that superb healers really do make the difference in groups.  If you have a great healer or healing team, your tank can subpar as well as the dps and you can still out last your enemies. 

I have off-tanked for others or put on dps gear and worked as a dps/back up tank.  I have seen groups with great dps and ones with pathetic dps.  The one common demoninator that made groups successful was adequate healers.  I have seen superb healers keep pathetic to mediocre groups alive when everything showed they should have failed.  I have seen groups with great tanks and dps get wiped due to pathetic heals.  To me, heals make the difference and I am very picky when it comes to healers.  As a tank, I am very reliant on those heals, more so than I am on dps in most cases.  In instances or raids where there really is no need for a tank, it is all on the dps to tank and split the damage around, but they still need those amazing heals.

I have noticed the most over-worked people in a group or raid is the healers.  How many times have you known you were going to die yet get that last second heal that saved you?  Ever notice how many heals and how fast healers have to get them off and on how many people?  They cannot do it all once, they have to conserve their reserves so they spot heal and heavy heal in a bizarre dance around the group.  I won't roll a healer for that reason as I would go beserk having to keep up with all of it at once even with mods.  Granted some classes can heal easier or heavier than others, but you take a variety of healing classes with you as they also have other abilities they use, like curses, judgements, etc that help dps while they are also healing.

To all the healers out there that pull their weight and give that extra push to keep their parties alive, you have my esteem and my thanks.

SWG Scylla - Tomrin Alindale, Kraig Tarslon

WoW Thunderlord - Tomrin

*EDIT*  Forgot to mention healers that can do all of this and watch their threat/aggro levels.  Plus ones that can heal the dps when they don't watch their aggro levels and keep the groups alive long enough for the tank to get aggro back.

• slythsslyths Member UncommonPosts: 208

The most important thing in a party is your internet connection... or even though you are the best healer or tank in the game and get some lagg, u'll be blackmailed by everyone that meets you.

• AlindaleAlindale Member Posts: 134
    Originally posted by slyths

The most important thing in a party is your internet connection... or even though you are the best healer or tank in the game and get some lagg, u'll be blackmailed by everyone that meets you.

That cannot be argued, lol.  Nothing like the old comcast issues when they would randomly dc in the middle of a raid in WoW.  Or a healer on dial-up with a shakey connection.

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

None of the above.  Its the planner and commander of the group.  With a tank/healer/DPS that don't know what they are doing.  They will easily be swept.  Its the leader of the group who barks the orders that keep people in line, and its thier ability to call things before they happen or keep the party in line that makes things happen successfully.

In games now there is more then just the tank/healer/DPS, The tasks have been more distributed into other classes.  Such as the inclusion of dedicated buffers and debuffers that can also be pivitol.  This is why the leader has grown ever more important.

• slask777slask777 Member Posts: 706

The holy trinity, Tank->Healer->Dps. In most mmo's nowadays this is the rule. Without a tank, the group wipes when the healer is out of mana/nano/omgwtf or whatever the mmo call it, without a healer the tank drop fast, then the rest of the group follows, and without dps it would take freaking forever to kill stuff.

No core class more important than the other as they all play their part, but a group of only dps'ers can't do squat, and I'm talking about instance bosses and raid stuff here, not nonraid trash and regular mobs, even though that differs alot from mmo to mmo. In Anarchy Online there is this raid that get harder and harder each wave you kill, but the trash inbetween is killable even solo, so it's not a rule, more a general guideline.

---
    Grammar nazi's. This one is for you.

• batolemaeusbatolemaeus Member CommonPosts: 2,061

The dude/dudette keeping the team together is the most important, imo.

It doesn't matter if everyone is totally zomgawesome and has ph4t l00tz (or whatever. think of some arrogant snobs in shiny armor), without someone coordinating and keeping everyone focused, nothing good will come out of it.

• BlodplsBlodpls Member Posts: 1,454
    Originally posted by Alindale

I've always ran tanks, no matter what game, I make a tank and run it.  I have noticed that superb healers really do make the difference in groups.  If you have a great healer or healing team, your tank can subpar as well as the dps and you can still out last your enemies. 
    I have off-tanked for others or put on dps gear and worked as a dps/back up tank.  I have seen groups with great dps and ones with pathetic dps.  The one common demoninator that made groups successful was adequate healers.  I have seen superb healers keep pathetic to mediocre groups alive when everything showed they should have failed.  I have seen groups with great tanks and dps get wiped due to pathetic heals.  To me, heals make the difference and I am very picky when it comes to healers.  As a tank, I am very reliant on those heals, more so than I am on dps in most cases.  In instances or raids where there really is no need for a tank, it is all on the dps to tank and split the damage around, but they still need those amazing heals.
    I have noticed the most over-worked people in a group or raid is the healers.  How many times have you known you were going to die yet get that last second heal that saved you?  Ever notice how many heals and how fast healers have to get them off and on how many people?  They cannot do it all once, they have to conserve their reserves so they spot heal and heavy heal in a bizarre dance around the group.  I won't roll a healer for that reason as I would go beserk having to keep up with all of it at once even with mods.  Granted some classes can heal easier or heavier than others, but you take a variety of healing classes with you as they also have other abilities they use, like curses, judgements, etc that help dps while they are also healing.
    To all the healers out there that pull their weight and give that extra push to keep their parties alive, you have my esteem and my thanks.
    SWG Scylla - Tomrin Alindale, Kraig Tarslon
    WoW Thunderlord - Tomrin

*EDIT*  Forgot to mention healers that can do all of this and watch their threat/aggro levels.  Plus ones that can heal the dps when they don't watch their aggro levels and keep the groups alive long enough for the tank to get aggro back.

I agree with this.

The difference between a skilled healer and a unskilled healer is much larger than with tanks and dps.  How good your healers are really makes enormous difference both in pve and pvp.  I would put tanks as a very close second though.

Good leadership is also important but that is not what the question was about.