Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gamespot Review, WAR Ties AoC!

Comments

• BlodplsBlodpls Member Posts: 1,454
  • GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

If Gamespot think that WAR=AoC then that is either bad for WAR or good for AoC?

You decide.

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

because we all know Gamespot doesnt receive any pressure from Funcom or EA

/sarcasm off

who gives a toss what a critic thinks?

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

AOC had a solid launch IMO and did not begin to die until 2-3 months later.

WAR is still untested waters IMO.  We will not know if it has failed or succeeded until it survives its first 4 months.  The forums here for WAR look almost exactly like the ones for AOC did right after launch, and EA has yet to prove that they can truly support an MMO over time.

Just as one outlandish example, EA could force Mythic to wipe all servers next week.  Unlikely, nobody really knows what will happen.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• Black_ElvisBlack_Elvis Member Posts: 188

AOC's main issue is that there was nothing outside the starter zone.  Sure the reviews were awesome because these jerks at Gamespot and stuff play the game for a few hours then write a "definitive" review on it.

So yeah, they praised AOC... and we all lol'd.  Now they praise WAR?  OK, i'll bite.  But, Mythic is gonna have to prove they can stay ontop of the ball.  Not "going on vacation" as some have the idea that the devs have done after their sucessful launch.

• ArawonArawon Member Posts: 1,108

Another reason I don't visit GAMESPOT.Seems advertising revenues and positive ratings go hand in hand.

• DreadlichDreadlich Member UncommonPosts: 597

Apparently none of you read the review. It's pretty much spot on IMO and I'm a big fan of the game. The OP apparently meant the score of 8.5. The review never even mentioned AoC. The main gripe is that the playerbase is too fragmented by too many options, and I tend to agree (namely scenarios). Try reading the damn thing before blindly flaming.

Overall, it's a good review.

MMOs Played: EQ 1&2, DAoC, SWG, Planetside, WoW, GW, CoX, DDO, EVE, Vanguard, TR
    Playing: WAR
    Awaiting 40k Online and wishing for Battletech Online

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by wozzu

Gamespot review.

Thats because they are bascially the same game with different skins.

Launches aside, the actual games (that is their content and play) deserve the same score because they are the same.

• Lonesamurai1Lonesamurai1 Member Posts: 1,210
    Originally posted by vesavius

Originally posted by wozzu

Gamespot review.

Thats because they are bascially the same game with different skins.

Launches aside, the actual games (that is their content and play) deserve the same score because they are the same.

I'm sorry, you what?!?

AoC was horrible at launch and the content was near nonexistant...   apart from what we know they removed before release, EVERYTHING that was promised for WAR was in at release...

imageimage

• bluegoo2bluegoo2 Member Posts: 72

Gamespot reviews were completely nullified when an employee got fired somewhat recently for giving a game a bad review when they had gotten paid to give it a good review.

GS is a freaking joke and a half. Funcom must have paid them alot of money to hang with WAR.

• ImjinImjin Member Posts: 366
    Originally posted by Souldrainer

WAR is still untested waters IMO.  We will not know if it has failed or succeeded until it survives its first 4 months.  The forums here for WAR look almost exactly like the ones for AOC did right after launch, and EA has yet to prove that they can truly support an MMO over time.
    Just as one outlandish example, EA could force Mythic to wipe all servers next week.  Unlikely, nobody really knows what will happen.

Two or thre months later? Are you sure you were there the first month?

Fungerer som det skal

• ScriarScriar Member Posts: 772

War ties with AoC, I know it is not perfect but that is just kicking below the knees. ;p

I dont really know why a proffestional gaming site is reviewing an mmo that has been out for less than 2 weeks, I know we can do that, but we are not proffestionals :)

I think they should of labelled this as first impressions then reviewed the game at the end of the free trial period, after all AoC was fun to untill you got out of the start area, then.. well everyone knows by now.

Also noticed with this review same with their other recent reviews they paint a completly differnet picture with the written review, then go give it a high score -_-

• demolishIXdemolishIX Member Posts: 632

Never ever listen to any "proffesional" game reviewer,their reviews will either be extremly biased "Omg this RTS sux,we has no headshots... il keep playing CS" or they are payed reviews soo the score inflates.

Always listen to the gamers who actualy pay to play the game (talking about all games<MMOG,RTS etc),their score and their reviews are what matters,sure some will be biased as the "proffesional" reviewer however most will be true and straightforward.

Ofcourse you should ignore player given scores to games that are on certain sites like exemple:right here on mmorpg.com,no offense to the people running the site.But I can make 100 accounts and hype/up my favorite MMORPG's score.

• protorocprotoroc Member Posts: 1,042

Personally after the Kane and Lynch scandal, I find to Gamespot to be quite a bit harsher in its reviews.

• NeonShadowNeonShadow Member UncommonPosts: 326

Order or Destruction (guess which is good and which is evil)

Neither. Why do people think Order and Destruction is black and white?

Quoted from the review btw.

• SirLornSirLorn Member UncommonPosts: 212

Heh, and actually if you know anything about the mythos and lorestoryline......Order was is at times more "evil" in seeing that it's ideals come to pass then Destruction..... ;)

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Originally posted by NeonShadow

WAR lore is pretty black and white. From our point of view anyway. This isn't WoW with its fluffy Orcs helping old people cross the street.

• NeonShadowNeonShadow Member UncommonPosts: 326
    Originally posted by BizkitNL

WAR lore is pretty black and white. From our point of view anyway. This isn't WoW with its fluffy Orcs helping old people cross the street.

There is no good and evil in Warhammer. Just constant war. Calling Order the good guys isn't very accurate. The only ones I'd consider good are dwarfs, but then again I don't know much about their lore. I was always more interested in Tomb Kings, Vampire Counts and Lizardmen.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

There is no good and evil in Warhammer. Just constant war. Calling Order the good guys isn't very accurate. The only ones I'd consider good are dwarfs, but then again I don't know much about their lore. I was always more interested in Tomb Kings, Vampire Counts and Lizardmen.

I said from our point of view. Things get different when you read a novel featuring a chaos warrior, for instance, but still.

Unless you find destroying the world, killing the humans and anything else that breathes NOT evil.

• teddy_bareteddy_bare Member UncommonPosts: 398

Yeah, Gamespot has REALLY gone down the tubes, their downward spiral really started before Gertsmangate, but that was when things really took a sharp nosedive. They lost almost all of their staff, and ALL of their credibility. I loved Gamespot and was a regular on the site, but after that whole Kane & Lynch thing went down, I lost all respect for them. It forced me to take any Gamespot review with a grain of salt.

That being said, WAR has gotten almost universally positive reviews from all professional game journalists. Their meta-score at GameRankings.com (yes, it's a CNET site, but there is no room for them to mess w/ things, all they do is tabulate and collate the scores from the main-stream media outlets) is an 88%...pretty damned good if you ask me. I think that WAR's meta-score jives pretty well overall, and when you compare it to other MMOs is a good indicator of how well people enjoy the game, for example Conan's is 81%, WoW's is 92%, EQ2s 84% and so on and so forth.

Overall, many people are enjoying WAR. It's not a WoW killer, but it is a damned solid, fun game.

• Originally posted by NeonShadow

Calling Order good would be wrong.  The Empire is not good its a mixed bag.

But at the same time Law vs Chaos is not as ambiguous as it was in Moorcocks books.  Chaos is a more evil and decadent and corruptive.

So order isn't good, but destruction is pretty close to "evil" by all convetional definitions of the word.

• CelestianCelestian Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

The forums here for WAR look almost exactly like the ones for AOC did right after launch, and EA has yet to prove that they can truly support an MMO over time.

If you believe that you didn't read the AOC forums.

• ronan32ronan32 Member Posts: 1,418
    Originally posted by Black_Elvis

AOC's main issue is that there was nothing outside the starter zone.  Sure the reviews were awesome because these jerks at Gamespot and stuff play the game for a few hours then write a "definitive" review on it.
    So yeah, they praised AOC... and we all lol'd.  Now they praise WAR?  OK, i'll bite.  But, Mythic is gonna have to prove they can stay ontop of the ball.  Not "going on vacation" as some have the idea that the devs have done after their sucessful launch.

i bet you think everyones a jerk, you bitter old fart.

• ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931

In WAR. I was in beta/closed beta. Then started WAR with the Collectors Edition and PLAYED EVERY day. Not one time did I NOT get to play because the servers were down. I played the whole week too.

Now AoC in beta got to do the 3 day head start. LMAO any one care to tell souldrainer what happen because  he/she was NOT there. You didnt get to PLAY for 3 days. You didnt get to play for have that time. Nor did you get to play EVERYDAY that week. Now what I said is 100% the truth. And you say thats a solid launch? is your name protus? Well you KNOW that name because you read AoC's forums.. haha Yet he DOES work for AoC.  Thats been proved months ago..

Now the forums on AoC? War DOES NOT HAVE ANY FORUMS. So you are talking about a FAN site. Not the same in any way. Warhammer has NO control what gets said there.

• DreadlichDreadlich Member UncommonPosts: 597

You guys are hilarious. You'll totally disregard professional game reviews as conspiratorial crap, but spend all your time on this site reading the most biased, trollish amateur reviews and debating them like they mean a damn thing.

MMOs Played: EQ 1&2, DAoC, SWG, Planetside, WoW, GW, CoX, DDO, EVE, Vanguard, TR
    Playing: WAR
    Awaiting 40k Online and wishing for Battletech Online