Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard copying WAR?

13»

Comments

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

lets not forget the new wow tabletop mini game!

• rymanryman Member Posts: 227
    Originally posted by Qmire

Anyway in a few weeks warhammer will be known for what it is,  DAOC2 with the warhammer IP painted on it.

Sounds great, an actual good MMO.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Yet another pointless and idiotic thing to argue about.  Doesn't everyone realize that essentially there is no NEW idea under the sun?  Guaranteed....any idea you have....SOMEONE has had it before you.  Let's take it back a bit....

Before games (even before tabletop games), there were books.  So...if we want to start laying blame around for taking creative license with ideas and altering them in to something a bit different, why don't we just say that all MMOs of today, "stole" the fantasy universe ideas from Tolkien?  Or, we could say that all MMOs post-Everquest have "borrowed" and "transformed" things from EQ.  Or we could say that WAR copies WoW and WoW copies WAR and Everquest copied Ultima Online and vice versa and hell....just substitute ANY MMO's name in to any one of those spots and there will be some amount of truth to it.

Fact of the matter is....whoever does the best implementation of an idea is USUALLY the one that ends up making the most money from it, and ultimately taking credit for THEIR "interpretation" of said idea.

WHO THE FRACK CARES?  Just play the games you enjoy and be glad that there were people creative enough to transform ideas IN to games. 

/sigh

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• PhilssPhilss Member Posts: 433
    Originally posted by bodypass

Experience for PvP - both in daily world PvP and daily BG's were introduced in October 2007 ....
    I leveled the last part of my PvP rogue purely on PvP doing the daily PvP world quests and BG.
    So ...
    No news there - unless WAR was introduced in Sep 2007 ....

Leveling doing  only pvp daily would take ages ......

• DeathTrippDeathTripp Member UncommonPosts: 263

If WAR was smart they would copy some of the shit WoW has.. Like the more polished UI such as being able to sell items to the other side, being able to drop items in chat window to inspect, being able to show helm or not... just small NICE things like that.

-----------------------------
    Real as Reality Television!!!

• redcap036redcap036 Member UncommonPosts: 1,230
    Originally posted by laresloci

Originally posted by Theocritus

Originally posted by redcap036

What!?!.. WoW copying from other games, Shirley you jest?!

Its funny while many of us know these guys are the kings of copy, there are still many people that know of no other game and think every game copies off of WoW.......

So is Microsoft...and look how well they did....but you know it's like who makes the better  and cheeper ball point pen in the end.

@ laresloci, couldn't have siad it any better myself, that's hitting the nail on the head!

• Balthaazar1Balthaazar1 Member Posts: 531
    Originally posted by Ranek

Originally posted by Balthaazar1

Blizzard copying Warhammer? Wouldn't be the first time.. 

Fanboy going into nerdrage? wouldn't be the first time

Oh, did I press a button I shouldn't have.. *smirk*

Facts are facts, no need to get defensive now.

------------------------------

'Cry Havoc, and Let Loose the Dogs of WARRRRR!!!'

• rsrestonrsreston Member UncommonPosts: 346

If that makes WoW better, copy it on, Blizzard!

• imitatorimitator Member Posts: 29
    Originally posted by deathtripp

If WAR was smart they would copy some of the shit WoW has.. Like the more polished UI such as being able to sell items to the other side, being able to drop items in chat window to inspect, being able to show helm or not... just small NICE things like that.

Two things.

1) You can hide/show your helm. Its a little checkbox on the helm slot. If you played the game you would likely have seen it.

2) Selling items to the other side defeats the purpose of WAR. This isnt some happy little battle excercise, where we help the other side so everyone is happy and then go back home for tea and cookies aftewards. This is WAR. In a war, you dont sell your sworn enemy, who is trying to destroy you, things that could help them.

The lack of item linking is an annoyance, that much is true. It is being worked on, but isnt implemented as of yet.

I'm just curious as to how MANY threads with this SAME topic using only slightly different names, we are going to have to endure on both the WAR forums AND the WoW forums?

This is a very tired subject.  All MMO's "borrow" and alter from other games, and even from books that are MUCH older than the ENTIRE genre.  Can't we give this a rest already??

• tryklontryklon Member UncommonPosts: 1,370
    Originally posted by Azrile

Originally posted by tryklon

Let me see, enter bgs from anywhere, give back the importance and feeling of horde vs alliance, or realm versus realm, introduce more types of bgs... Blizzard is officially showing concern with WAR, hehe, who would have guessed

The funny things is.. someone made a list of the things that Warhammer does better than WOW.

1. coloring armor ( Done in UO)

2. Public quests ( Done in UO)

3. Queueing for BGs from anywhere

So really, 2 of the 3 things that are better in War than WOW are things Ultima Online has already been doing.

Now let me ask you this?   If a game did something better than Warhammer, would you tell the devs of warhammer not to add it because "oh well, they did it first, I quess we don't get it".

There is a reason Warhammer servers are med/low and why box sales are plummeting.  It brings nothing worthwhile except for a dumbed-down siege system from its other game,  I mean how can you have controllable seige weapons in a 6 year old game and not include them in your new game.  boring.

Those things were in UO right, but only after WAR released blizzard thought of making them into wow

• RitexRitex Member Posts: 24

Since when was WoW the first MMO ever made? And why does every other MMO have to be copying it?

Originally posted by Ritex

Since when was WoW the first MMO ever made? And why does every other MMO have to be copying it?

I think maybe you misunderstood the thread or some post.  This is a thread of WAR fanbois saying that WoW copied WAR, not that anything is copying WoW.  Funny, isn't it?  ROFL

If you listened to everything THEY said, you'd think every game ever made copied Warhammer.  /rollseyes

I've said it before, and I'll say it again....

There is no "new idea" under the sun.  There are only interpretations and implementations of ideas that originated somewhere else, for the most part.  This is particularly true in gaming.  Afterall....literature was around LOOOOONG before video games.  I think, if you do a bit of research, you'll find that ALL games have copied their ideas from a previous source, and Warhammer is no exception to that.

What differentiates games today, seems to be more how the ideas are implemented in to gameplay.

Originally posted by Azrile

Let me see, enter bgs from anywhere, give back the importance and feeling of horde vs alliance, or realm versus realm, introduce more types of bgs... Blizzard is officially showing concern with WAR, hehe, who would have guessed

The funny things is.. someone made a list of the things that Warhammer does better than WOW.

1. coloring armor ( Done in UO)

2. Public quests ( Done in UO)

3. Queueing for BGs from anywhere

So really, 2 of the 3 things that are better in War than WOW are things Ultima Online has already been doing.

Now let me ask you this?   If a game did something better than Warhammer, would you tell the devs of warhammer not to add it because "oh well, they did it first, I quess we don't get it".

There is a reason Warhammer servers are med/low and why box sales are plummeting.  It brings nothing worthwhile except for a dumbed-down siege system from its other game,  I mean how can you have controllable seige weapons in a 6 year old game and not include them in your new game.  boring.

Those things were in UO right, but only after WAR released blizzard thought of making them into wow

Uhm, to my knowledge, Blizzard isn't doing "coloring armor," "public quests," OR the same type of BG queuing that Warhammer has.  Where on earth did you get THAT idea?  Of all the changes in the expansion, NONE of those mentioned are there.   Please explain why you think "Blizzard thought of making them into WoW." 

I have to agree with Azrile.  Sounds more to me like WAR is copying UO.  O.o

And if you want to argue that WoW is copying WAR, while in the same paragraph admitting that WAR is copying UO....isn't that a bit, oh, say....hypocritical?