Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

upcoming patch = easier combos, more gear stats = WOW

2»

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by SignusM

Originally posted by jadan2000

where did you read that combos were being dumbed down. i dont see that in the notes. Are you adding stuff?

Haha the combos can hardly go down any further. Just more and more influence from WoW kiddies on the market. The game when it hit closed beta had 8 directional attacks, but the l33t WoW kiddie raider guilds couldn't handle game mechanics that actually had you think about something, so they nerfed it to 3. 

It is 5 attacks for all rouge and soldier classes, not 3. Seems like you either never played a melee class (or ranger for that matter) or never leveled particulary high.

There is nothing about dumbing down the attacks but youll lose 15% damage per strike you miss. That is before many PvP players did their combos in thin air and launch the last strike at another player making full damage. So unless the OP read different patch notes than the rest of us he missunderstood it.

The items wont be like WOW, the coolest suff will now be able to bost you 50% instead of 25%. How many % boost you get in wow is unknown to me but it is more. EQ2 have something around 300%. 50% is acceptable, I got worried too when I saw that they will raise it.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

I don't see a problem witht his at all. it is funny how some point out the same thing about WOW such as the game being too easy and gear dependant but yet so many are still playing WOW. Perhaps some should realize that games do not need to be complex in order for the masses to enjoy.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188
    Originally posted by Loke666

It is 5 attacks for all rouge and soldier classes, not 3. Seems like you either never played a melee class (or ranger for that matter) or never leveled particulary high.
    There is nothing about dumbing down the attacks but youll lose 15% damage per strike you miss. That is before many PvP players did their combos in thin air and launch the last strike at another player making full damage. So unless the OP read different patch notes than the rest of us he missunderstood it.
    The items wont be like WOW, the coolest suff will now be able to bost you 50% instead of 25%. How many % boost you get in wow is unknown to me but it is more. EQ2 have something around 300%. 50% is acceptable, I got worried too when I saw that they will raise it.

I think thats the case.  You see later on it turns into an assumption which is past the "this is how it is".

The Change hasn't happened yet, but what happens to the people who say AoC gear is crap you can run around naked attacking people and the gear has no effect? - this is a direct relation to that query brought up by a large portion of players. Taking it from 25% to and up to Closer to 50% with differences.

I think what Craig said is coherent enough:

Currently the items account for a maximum contribution of 25% of your characters total in any given statistic or ability (if you had all the stat modifications available for that statistic equipped, which in itself isn’t always practical). We are aiming to increase that so that your statistics from items contribute closer to 50% (although it will vary slightly from class to class), while also adjusting the formulas so that ability statistics (strength, stamina etc) contribute more meaningfully to your visible abilities, like health and Damage per Second.

Items do have an effect on those calculations at the moment, but just in numbers, and that mean it isn’t always all that visible or impactful given the vagaries of an inherently random roll system. The most telling factor is probably that many players felt these statistics were ‘broken’ when in fact they were working correctly, they just didn’t contribute enough of a variance for players to see or feel it properly in combat. Evolving this part of the game is therefore something we deem very important, and something we are actively working on right now.

• ImjinImjin Member Posts: 366
    Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

Originally posted by orzo

Originally posted by Azrile

Well, two of the initial selling points are now out the window.

In the new patch

Gear will give roughly twice the stats as it did before.  Meaning gear will have a much bigger influence on who wins.

Combos are being dumbed-down.  Most combos are going down to 1 button, some 2.

While everyone complained in WOW about 'everything' being dictated by who has the better gear (which isn't necessarily true).. the other side of the coin was in AOC.. your gear meant absolutely nothing, which took away a main area of player progression and made it hard to add 'rewards' for doing certain things.

Combat was supposed to be 'complex'.  The problem was that it was also unwieldy.  AOC combat will now be more in line with WOW where I      Sinister Strike, Slice n Dice, Sinister Srike, Eviscerate.

Good lord, two weeks ago you were bitching becouse it wasnt "Dumbed down" as you say. Pick one, and stick with it.

As for your Binary view on what the changes to stats mean, this seems to be directed at your type.

We do understand that concern, and we aren't talking about making the game quite as item centric as some others on the market, but we do feel that it requires attention as progression is key for many people in an MMO setting, and the current system just doesn't support the progression of stats sufficiently to provide any substantial motivation for acquiring rewards. We will be aiming for it to be more meaningful for sure, but not a 'you can't do normal game-play without item X' type of scenario. Items should matter more than they currently do, and that is what we are working towards.

The world is not black and white.

I love that it took them almost 6 years to figure out that all gamers, or a large majority need PHAT LEWTS to motivate them.  I mean wow doesnt 11 million subscribers for nothin!

That’s simply not true, and once again,a very black and white statement.

"or a large majority" is not black and white. Its a statement made from experience and does not mean 100% which is the criteria for black and white. ( and yes I read where he said all but he fixed it)

And I am still waii9tng for a response on whether or not you actually resubbed or are you just carrying the cross for AOC?

Fungerer som det skal

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582
    Originally posted by Imjin

In the new patch

Gear will give roughly twice the stats as it did before.  Meaning gear will have a much bigger influence on who wins.

While everyone complained in WOW about 'everything' being dictated by who has the better gear (which isn't necessarily true).. the other side of the coin was in AOC.. your gear meant absolutely nothing, which took away a main area of player progression and made it hard to add 'rewards' for doing certain things.

Combat was supposed to be 'complex'.  The problem was that it was also unwieldy.  AOC combat will now be more in line with WOW where I      Sinister Strike, Slice n Dice, Sinister Srike, Eviscerate.

Good lord, two weeks ago you were bitching becouse it wasnt "Dumbed down" as you say. Pick one, and stick with it.

As for your Binary view on what the changes to stats mean, this seems to be directed at your type.

We do understand that concern, and we aren't talking about making the game quite as item centric as some others on the market, but we do feel that it requires attention as progression is key for many people in an MMO setting, and the current system just doesn't support the progression of stats sufficiently to provide any substantial motivation for acquiring rewards. We will be aiming for it to be more meaningful for sure, but not a 'you can't do normal game-play without item X' type of scenario. Items should matter more than they currently do, and that is what we are working towards.

I love that it took them almost 6 years to figure out that all gamers, or a large majority need PHAT LEWTS to motivate them.  I mean wow doesnt 11 million subscribers for nothin!

"or a large majority" is not black and white. Its a statement made from experience and does not mean 100% which is the criteria for black and white. ( and yes I read where he said all but he fixed it)

And I am still waii9tng for a response on whether or not you actually resubbed or are you just carrying the cross for AOC?

I really don't get why this is so hard to understand.  Let's just ask yes/no questions

Is WOW's combat systems supposedly simple?

Was AOC's combat system supposedly much more complicated?

Is AOC making their combat system more simple?

Is WOW supposedly gear dependant for success?

Was AOC's gear not supposed to matter that much?

Is AOC's gear now going to matter more?

All of those answers are clearly YES, which means AOC is going from what it was, to being more in line with WOW.

• KirijiKiriji Member Posts: 340

In the new patch

I really don't get why this is so hard to understand.  Let's just ask yes/no questions

All of those answers are clearly YES, which means AOC is going from what it was, to being more in line with WOW.

When in doubt, copy WoW.

• PraxusPraxus Member Posts: 266

Stats and gear sucked so bad before; everyone quit PVE at high levels because there was nothing to strive for. Useless gear means no rewards from raiding..so why log on at all at level 80 on a PVE server?

Excellent news.

• This patch doesn't save the game because after all the fluff it doesn't really adds that much. Sure you can level up your PVP dark side, but you are competing for 1 class set, which will make you IDENTICAL to every other player of your class with the full set. Of course they will introduce more sets, but right now is 1 per class. How can you brag when eventually everyone will get to PVP rank 5 and have your identical gear? Yes, you can go as up as PVP rank 10, but there's nothing to get right now after 5 so no one can tell the difference between a Player of PVP level 5 and a level 10 (cap).

What this game needs is:

•  New content. It doesn't matter how much, they HAVE to give the idea that there's something new to do.
    •  Guild colours, something to have guild grow some VISIBLE pride. If I conquer a Battlekeep and NO ONE knows, what's the point in these kind of games?
    •  A MUCH better itemization
    •  Incentives to go to the Border Kingdoms and fight for PVP cities. The PVP combat is where the game really shines, but people need to do PVP to notice it. Fuck/screw/destroy minigames and push people in the Border Kingdoms already. That worked for DAoC didn't it?
    •  A better, more charming GUI. That works like magic with 3) itemization
    •  Finally, a relaunch. Let people know many bugs were squashed, performance are MUCH smoother now and PvP means something.

What this long awaited patch do of all these 6 points? Just a small portion of "...and PvP means something". Not enough to save the game.

• SoupgoblinSoupgoblin Member Posts: 324
    Originally posted by Bladeinhand

When in doubt, copy WoW.

That didn't work so well with SWG. As a matter of fact it pretty much destroyed it.

I wish MMO devolopers would try to make a well thought out game that is unique and entertaining in it's own right, rather than trying to recreate WoW over and over again.

WoW is like heroin, it is extremely addictive while you play it, but once you have given it up, you have no urge to try it again

• UnfinishedUnfinished Member Posts: 881
    Originally posted by Soupgoblin

When in doubt, copy WoW.

That didn't work so well with SWG. As a matter of fact it pretty much destroyed it.

I wish MMO devolopers would try to make a well thought out game that is unique and entertaining in it's own right, rather than trying to recreate WoW over and over again.

WoW is like heroin, it is extremely addictive while you play it, but once you have given it up, you have no urge to try it again

It didn't work very well in Anarchy Online, Gaute tried to inject a lot of WoW concepts in the Shadowlands Expansion, it pretty much nuked a dying player base.

• Chill_FactorChill_Factor Member Posts: 177

Nooo!!!  Don't take away the Dance Dance Revolutionary combat system!!!  So now all people can say about AoC is, "It's got great graphics".

/sadface 

• FargolFargol Member UncommonPosts: 303

In the new patch

When in doubt, copy WoW.

"When your game isn't doing as well as hoped, look for inspiration from other games which have been successful."

Fixed.

There's nothing complicated here. It's all about $$$ and the pursuit thereof.