Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard copying WAR?

Comments

• RanekRanek Member Posts: 14
    Originally posted by Balthaazar1

Blizzard copying Warhammer? Wouldn't be the first time.. 

Fanboy going into nerdrage? wouldn't be the first time

• Tawn47Tawn47 Member Posts: 512
    Originally posted by Warguru

With a recent announcement from blizzard saying how they are turning their PvP into more of a faction thing, and taking it away from competitive e-sports thing makes me think of WAR.. on top of that they are adding the possibility of queing from anywhere in the world..
    Their new tome system, err i mean Achievement system.. phasing outposts (living cities).
    Tell me, do I need a tinfoil hat or do you also think they are actually copying stuff directly from WAR?
    Link to the source where blizzard made the announcement is in my signature below.

Of course they are..  and I don't blame them.

What I do blame them for is being so damn late about it.  I would still be playing WoW if they'd had any care for the PvP community..  but they stuck their hypothetical fingers up at us then and never bothered to realise the factional conflict properly..  every expansion was focused on raiding.

Now they realise that the PvPers are moving..  theyre crawling back to us and offering us what we want.  Too late I say.  I will not be going back.

• Black_ElvisBlack_Elvis Member Posts: 188

Blizzard can incorporate free massages with happy endings into their games for all I care.  At this point I'm so tired of WoW nothing is gonna bring me back.

Does that mean I'll stay in WAR?  Certainly not if they dont improve performace issues, bugs, etc. (Although I think Mythic is working hard on these problems).  But, at the very least, I'm not going back to WoW...

I shudder to think of giving another penny to that company.

• SweeetSweeet Member Posts: 135

I can guarantee you that right now Blizzard has a team of people playing WAR and reporting back with detailed analyses on what's good and what's not.

The big wigs will then use this data to try and make WoW better in these areas. Whether they pull it off or not is the key.

A bit of healthy competition never harmed anyone and it's this competition that has made the MMORPG industry what it is today. There's no way WAR would be what it is if it hadn't been influenced by WoW in some way.

Blizzard trying to implement these great game mechanics into their game will only strive WAR to become bigger and better than it already is. But then of course this works both ways, it's the perfect synergy.

To wank, or not to wank. The ultimate MMO sacrifice.

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582
    Originally posted by Sweeet

I can guarantee you that right now Blizzard has a team of people playing WAR and reporting back with detailed analyses on what's good and what's not.
    The big wigs will then use this data to try and make WoW better in these areas. Whether they pull it off or not is the key.
    A bit of healthy competition never harmed anyone and it's this competition that has made the MMORPG industry what it is today. There's no way WAR would be what it is if it hadn't been influenced by WoW in some way.
    Blizzard trying to implement these great game mechanics into their game will only strive WAR to become bigger and better than it already is. But then of course this works both ways, it's the perfect synergy.

Any company with more than 4 employees probably has people playing every current game on the market.  What percentage of the devs from Warhammer do you think at one point had an active account in WOW, my guess is a large portion of them also played AOC.  It would be absolutely stupid of a gaming company NOT to pick off the best ideas from other games.  You don't think Warhammer devs aren't currently beta testing Lake WIntergrasp and taking notes?

It's widely obvious when a gaming company DOESN'T play it's competitor's game (which is the vast minority).  For instance, it was clearly obvious that nobody at Funcom had ever played UO because they created the exact same pvp system and then had to delay it months until they fixed things that UO had fixed years earlier.

Players aren't going to play a game because it invented something, they are going to play the game that made something the most fun.  And it's silly the number of people who say "  X game stole that idea from 'my' game".. and are ignorant to the fact that most features in their game were stolen from other games.

Again, how many people know that UO had PQ's for about 4 years now with nearly the exact same mechanism ( kill 100 easy mobs, 100 harder mobs take their place, kill those and get harder mobs, kill those and get a boss).

• Random_mageRandom_mage Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

.. Ha.. it's funny.. WoW bring in Faction gameplay..

Did anyone watch the WotLK video?  The one with the human and the orc fighting side by side?  giving a hardy  "Hello" upon seeing each other?  I'm surprised that the Human didn't drop his armor right there and let the Orc give it to him.. I mean.. come on.. That's not a real WAR..   That's a "Hey there big boyth, leths kill that big stinky lich king... Oh.. and look at that armor your wearing.. it'th so tacky!!  When we are done with him, leth wrestle.."

Currently playing Real Life..

http://i36.tinypic.com/2uyod3k.gif

For all your stalking needs..
    http://www.plurk.com/Random_

• KokushibyouKokushibyou Member UncommonPosts: 230
    Originally posted by Azrile

Originally posted by tryklon

Let me see, enter bgs from anywhere, give back the importance and feeling of horde vs alliance, or realm versus realm, introduce more types of bgs... Blizzard is officially showing concern with WAR, hehe, who would have guessed

The funny things is.. someone made a list of the things that Warhammer does better than WOW.

1. coloring armor ( Done in UO)

2. Public quests ( Done in UO)

3. Queueing for BGs from anywhere

So really, 2 of the 3 things that are better in War than WOW are things Ultima Online has already been doing.

Now let me ask you this?   If a game did something better than Warhammer, would you tell the devs of warhammer not to add it because "oh well, they did it first, I quess we don't get it".

There is a reason Warhammer servers are med/low and why box sales are plummeting.  It brings nothing worthwhile except for a dumbed-down siege system from its other game,  I mean how can you have controllable seige weapons in a 6 year old game and not include them in your new game.  boring.

I don't remember public quests in UO.

• RanekRanek Member Posts: 14
    Originally posted by Random_mage

.. Ha.. it's funny.. WoW bring in Faction gameplay..
    Did anyone watch the WotLK video?  The one with the human and the orc fighting side by side?  giving a hardy  "Hello" upon seeing each other?  I'm surprised that the Human didn't drop his armor right there and let the Orc give it to him.. I mean.. come on.. That's not a real WAR..   That's a "Hey there big boyth, leths kill that big stinky lich king... Oh.. and look at that armor your wearing.. it'th so tacky!!  When we are done with him, leth wrestle.."

Just because you have gay fantasies, it dosent mean everyone else does.

• ScriarScriar Member Posts: 772
    Originally posted by Warguru

With a recent announcement from blizzard saying how they are turning their PvP into more of a faction thing, and taking it away from competitive e-sports thing makes me think of WAR.. on top of that they are adding the possibility of queing from anywhere in the world..
    Their new tome system, err i mean Achievement system.. phasing outposts (living cities).
    Tell me, do I need a tinfoil hat or do you also think they are actually copying stuff directly from WAR?
    Link to the source where blizzard made the announcement is in my signature below.

WoW players have been asking for a long time for them to move away from the E-sports rubbish and focus more on the faction side of the game, and the same for the queing. It sounds to me that they are lisening to their players finally. But I think the timing of it suggest they were encouraged to finally listen because of war, in which case is that a bad thing? Blizzard are actually trying to do better now there may actually be competitors for them.

Which can only be a good thing in the long run if War and WoW start going head to head they might try and out do themselves and each other, which is good for gamers in the end, is it not?

edit: I am talking about Blizzard actually listening to their consumers, and now my post count reads 666, tis the end of the world

• lortegedlorteged Member Posts: 143

But if a game can do better , by copying from others, DO IT.. :) I still think that warhammer is the game for me, atm.

But if another seems more interresting, i would jump for sure..

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

To implement WoW into a style like WAR could be a disaster. Unless done right.

Look whats happened when SWG try to mimic WoW, we got the NGE garbage.

WoW is pretty much structured to be a Scripted Raid Game for 20+ players.

You got the BG's in WoW that killed the PvP in this game years ago and WoW did try to bring back Open World PvP a couple years back, but didnt really take off, cause there is no reason to PvP in open world anymore.

WoW is a simple game and people love it. You main goal. Get to Level 70 now and do scripted instances.

On another note..

Horde and Alliance have the same classes, just a different dress, this is what makes WAR more unique. Even though some classes (Order n Destruction) may mirror one another, but its not the same as what we got in WoW.

I see the new BG with siege Wapons in WoW and it looks pretty fun, however it still isnt like what WAR has in there game. I not really into loading into a BG to do sieges

I rather be doing sieges in open world.

(Now this is just coming from my personal view and what I look for in a game).

• StellusStellus Member UncommonPosts: 263

Why would this surprise anyone seeing as how they copied everything from every other MMO in existence.

• Keeper2000Keeper2000 Member UncommonPosts: 637
    Originally posted by Kokushibyou

Let me see, enter bgs from anywhere, give back the importance and feeling of horde vs alliance, or realm versus realm, introduce more types of bgs... Blizzard is officially showing concern with WAR, hehe, who would have guessed

The funny things is.. someone made a list of the things that Warhammer does better than WOW.

So really, 2 of the 3 things that are better in War than WOW are things Ultima Online has already been doing.

Now let me ask you this?   If a game did something better than Warhammer, would you tell the devs of warhammer not to add it because "oh well, they did it first, I quess we don't get it".

There is a reason Warhammer servers are med/low and why box sales are plummeting.  It brings nothing worthwhile except for a dumbed-down siege system from its other game,  I mean how can you have controllable seige weapons in a 6 year old game and not include them in your new game.  boring.

Because UO didnt have PQ.  No idea what this person means.

It seems this person didnt play WAR or maybe didnt play UO... maybe didnt play any of both.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

Who cares who copies who or who came up with what first.

Here's the big issue: What do you have more fun playing?

Pick the game that YOU  like most and play to your hearts content.

If you feel something is lacking in a game and decide to post here, post it just like that, that YOU don't like it.

You not liking something does not make something bad.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582
    Originally posted by Keeper2000

Originally posted by Kokushibyou

Because UO didnt have PQ.  No idea what this person means.

It seems this person didnt play WAR or maybe didnt play UO... maybe didnt play any of both.

Sorry, you had to go to Felucca and do them.. they are called Hero spawns in UO.    In a given area, a bunch of low level mobs spawn.  When you kill enough of them, they change to a harder mob... when you kill enough of them, they turn to a harder mob.. finally after kill enough of that final group, a boss spawns and you kill it for loot.  Sound familar?

• banthisbanthis Member Posts: 1,891

Unless theres' been some magical change in UO...UO doesn't have "Quests" and it certaintly doesn't promote publically working together either.   And last time I looked UO didn't have you try to burn down a village while high level mobs were putting out the fire and trying to kill you.   NOT all of WAR's PQ's are straight up kill pattern.  But then one would have to leave the kiddy path to find the harder ones.

Unless UO suddenly went fully 3D and allowed you to dye armor 2 tone colors and gave the armor all sorts of different looks its Dye system can't compare to WAR's infact one can't even say that WAR took it from UO since its completely ancient and medicre at best by today's standards.

Box Sales for WAR are not plummetting last time I checked gamestop its still one of the top sellers.  Honestly get over your hate and move along.

Sorry, you had to go to Felucca and do them.. they are called Hero spawns in UO.    In a given area, a bunch of low level mobs spawn.  When you kill enough of them, they change to a harder mob... when you kill enough of them, they turn to a harder mob.. finally after kill enough of that final group, a boss spawns and you kill it for loot.  Sound familar?

Thats not the same as Public Quest in WAR. Not even the same mechanisms.

• ZoulzZoulz Member Posts: 477

I really hope Blizzard copies the good stuff from WAR and makes it really good.

Originally posted by banthis

Unless theres' been some magical change in UO...UO doesn't have "Quests" and it certaintly doesn't promote publically working together either.   And last time I looked UO didn't have you try to burn down a village while high level mobs were putting out the fire and trying to kill you.   NOT all of WAR's PQ's are straight up kill pattern.  But then one would have to leave the kiddy path to find the harder ones.

Correct, imho.

UO is a sandbox and WAR is a linear MMO.  Neither is better.  They just different.

UO didnt have quests... you had to make the quests yourself, in the sense that was a sandbox.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

I think your right. But I also think Blizzard is going to do it better.

• Vato26Vato26 Member Posts: 3,930

1. coloring armor ( Done in UO)  False!  In UO you could only color clothing, not the armor itself with dyes (you could get colored armor though).  DAoC brought fully colored armor through dyes.

2. Public quests ( Done in UO)  Somewhat true... but only when the devs still cared about the players to actually implement the special monthly critter hordes.  Still, there were no true thing to accomplish, thus they couldn't be considered quests.

There is a reason Warhammer servers are med/low and why box sales are plummeting.  It brings nothing worthwhile except for a dumbed-down siege system from its other game,  I mean how can you have controllable seige weapons in a 6 year old game and not include them in your new game.  boring.  You have no proof of any of this.  A lot of servers are high/full for one or both sides during prime time.  Show us proof that "box sales are plummeting"... oh wait, I'm betting that you have none.  Therefore, till you put up actual *proof* to support your anti-WAR rants, please GTFO of this forum.

• KokushibyouKokushibyou Member UncommonPosts: 230

Um, have you played WAR?  It has controllable siege weapons.  I was just in Pheonix Throne SC using one to rain bolts down on some Dest players...very fun.

• red_cruiserred_cruiser Member UncommonPosts: 486

Siege Weapons in WAR would have been better left out as it is.  Siege weapons are not anti-personal units.  The accuracy with which ballistae can target a single unit is beyond absurd.  Age of Conan and Shadowbane's use of Siege Weapons is the better implementation of siege weaons.

Second of all, all WoW needs to do to beat WAR is to copy it.  It's inherently the superior product. The only driving force behind WAR is the concept, which the execution is lagging far behind.  Outside of the PvP, everything else about WAR is a weak version of WoW.

In the end, neither of the two games are worth getting all that worked up over.

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538

WHO CARES, WAR online took design choices from WoW, Wow might do the same back. Honestly, who really gives a crap? Play the game you like most.

I like this sort of competition, who ever makes the better game wins. IF they steal ideas from eachother, then that means a better game for everyone.

Honestly though, many of these features being found in wotlk were in development before many knew about WAR and its design choices. Of course, Blizzard adapts, thats sadly why they are successul, if only more companies were like them we would have developers that actually learn from eachother and compete.

• QmireQmire Member Posts: 423

whoever makes the best product wins, thus Blizzard wins (personal preference).

Sigh, i don't care if the blue car got out 5 years before the red car, if the red car is the better car, i'll take it any day of the week. Yes in this case it's a paradox.

But seriously, when people start jabbing about WoW "copying" from WAR, i just can't take it serious anymore, do you even understand how many times there have been those silly "wow clone" threads? Yeah, guess what the mmorpg game WoW, was out before the mmorpg game Warhammer online, whether the lore of the other came years before doesn't matter, because the fellows behind warhammer didn't give blizzard a secret manual on how to build WoW, blizzard themselves figured that out nicely.

Anyway in a few weeks warhammer will be known for what it is,  DAOC2 with the warhammer IP painted on it.