Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Magic ?

2»

Comments

• Bedlem3342Bedlem3342 Member UncommonPosts: 252

[/quote]
    Simple, the grind during the last levels (45-50) was awful... Kill 20 orcs, blabla, reward: 4k xp. You needed to do 20-40 quests like that, 400-800 creatures, and that's just for 1 level. It's WAY too level-based, and their leveling system just ends up in a FedEx grind. That's why most people quit around lvl 20-30.
    I just couldn't survive grinding for another 10-20 hours for a few levels... That's probably why Guild Wars is so great for me. :D But yea, of the current players who are lvl 50, most of them don't mind those quests. I suppose I'm a bit excentric, I love the lore, the game just didn't turn out how I wanted... The beginning was great though :D, the shire is by far the best place in ME so far. If Turbine cares about what their players think, they'll keep in mind that everybody does get bored of killing 20 X. And if those woods after Moria (forgot the name) turn out like they're described (the most beautiful place in ME), I'll probably get back, just for the scenery. :D
    [/quote]

The venture from 1-50 was a breeze my friend.On a good evening of playing anyone can make a huge dent in their grinding if they get a group. Upping the cap to 60 is a great idea,getting to 60 will actually be a challenging acomplishment itself.

• YunbeiYunbei Member Posts: 898
    Originally posted by erandur

Hrm, I'd not only read the books , but read the lore! Magic is supposed to be only for gods and demi-gods (like Gandalf). The loremaster was already a minor violation of the lore, the rune-keeper is a major violation... Even Turbina said they were walking away from the lotr-lore. That together with the increased level cap, made me quit...

First, I told you so. I mean not you personally, but everywhere I went I always said "someday we are GOING to have magicians - however they are called." I also said 3 long years to SWG fellows SOMEDAY we gonna have Jedi.

Now pls repeat the official MMORPG mantra "Yunbei is always right, I will believe Yunbei, Yunbei is God."

Anyhow... I find it kinda ridiculous people quit over "lore violations", as if LOTR would be the Holy Script. Its a frigging FANTASY story! MMOs just cant follow the narrow pathways of a book and still function. It is just impossible. There are always changing wishes and demands which call for compromises. MMOs MUST evolve and adapt to player wants or they are doomed.

I love Tolkiens work as many here, but Tolkien isnt God and I see LOTRO more as "alternative dimension" version than the real Tolkien world. A bit like the UO shards were alternative Britannias as compared to the former single player Britannia. I find it funny people start quoting Tolkien here to proof this and that as if they were the Apostle St.Paul .

So IMO, if you quit a MMO you formerly enjoyed over something as trivial as the addition of a class you dont like, sorry but something is wrong with you.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Originally posted by Yunbei

Originally posted by erandur

Hrm, I'd not only read the books , but read the lore! Magic is supposed to be only for gods and demi-gods (like Gandalf). The loremaster was already a minor violation of the lore, the rune-keeper is a major violation... Even Turbina said they were walking away from the lotr-lore. That together with the increased level cap, made me quit...

First, I told you so. I mean not you personally, but everywhere I went I always said "someday we are GOING to have magicians - however they are called." I also said 3 long years to SWG fellows SOMEDAY we gonna have Jedi.

Now pls repeat the official MMORPG mantra "Yunbei is always right, I will believe Yunbei, Yunbei is God."

Anyhow... I find it kinda ridiculous people quit over "lore violations", as if LOTR would be the Holy Script. Its a frigging FANTASY story! MMOs just cant follow the narrow pathways of a book and still function. It is just impossible. There are always changing wishes and demands which call for compromises. MMOs MUST evolve and adapt to player wants or they are doomed.

I love Tolkiens work as many here, but Tolkien isnt God and I see LOTRO more as "alternative dimension" version than the real Tolkien world. A bit like the UO shards were alternative Britannias as compared to the former single player Britannia. I find it funny people start quoting Tolkien here to proof this and that as if they were the Apostle St.Paul .

So IMO, if you quit a MMO you formerly enjoyed over something as trivial as the addition of a class you dont like, sorry but something is wrong with you.

But the problem is you just don't get it. It's not about somene quitting over the fact that there were 4 rooms (or whatever) in Bilbos house or that they had to sacle the world down to fit a realistic size in gamign or whether or not a tree was place in a certain place.

the issue is that it's akin to playing in a game that is based in the civil war and they add FGF Hellcats.

Because the players of these games are so inundated in the whole D&D fantasy realms that they have no clue about integrity to story or world.

I personally have no problem with the game not being a middle earth simulator (which would have been stupid) or the use of mmo conventions such as trainers or auction houses.

But putting something in in a manner that doesn't belong there suddenly tilts the whole experience. "which one of these is not like the other".

And yes, there are people out there who would like a little integrity to the source material. In my opinion it's ok to have integrity. I so seldom see it that it's always refreshing when I do and a sad par for the course when I don't.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905
    Originally posted by Sovrath

And yes, there are people out there who would like a little integrity to the source material. In my opinion it's ok to have integrity. I so seldom see it that it's always refreshing when I do and a sad par for the course when I don't.

You know what happens when these games don't stick with source integrity?

It ends up an unfocused mess like Star Wars Galaxies both pre and post nge.

• YunbeiYunbei Member Posts: 898
    Originally posted by Torak

Sorry but thats BS. NGE wasnt crap because it included Jedi. They were there before. Most ppl wanted Jedi, so SOE did what most wanted. End of story.

They messed up other things.

I respect those who prefer canon, but a MMO is not a museum.

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905
    Originally posted by Yunbei

Originally posted by Torak

Sorry but thats BS. NGE wasnt crap because it included Jedi. They were there before. Most ppl wanted Jedi, so SOE did what most wanted. End of story.

They messed up other things.

I respect those who prefer canon, but a MMO is not a museum.

Thanks for reading.

The game was f*cked the second they included Jedi along with a multitude of other things that went astray.

MMO may not be museums (whatever you mean by that) but you can easily see what happens when you start to get all crazy with adding things on a whim.

Will LotR follow the same route? dunno but its not a good sign they start tampering with core aspects of the lore.

• galad2003galad2003 Member Posts: 167

I think most of the hardcore purists quit the game over some obscure tidbit that made them mad already or never started in the first place.  Adding in a "magic" class won't affect the majority of people and they needed to do it a long time ago.