Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard copying WAR?

With a recent announcement from blizzard saying how they are turning their PvP into more of a faction thing, and taking it away from competitive e-sports thing makes me think of WAR.. on top of that they are adding the possibility of queing from anywhere in the world..

Their new tome system, err i mean Achievement system.. phasing outposts (living cities).

Tell me, do I need a tinfoil hat or do you also think they are actually copying stuff directly from WAR?

Link to the source where blizzard made the announcement is in my signature below.

Comments

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member Posts: 1,880

not gonna take sides cause WoW fanbois will probably go nutz. Oh well yea they are.

• SouvecSouvec Member UncommonPosts: 698

Well they already stole/adapted from Warhammer (tabletop) many many years ago, now they are just going in for the kill and going to copy it all now (WAR:Online).

No tinfoil hat, they want it all and are willing to do what it takes to capture and hold onto the entire market.

• Aetern-eAetern-e Member UncommonPosts: 77

As much as I like Blizzard; they've always been copying things from Games Workshop and the Warhammer lore. No big surprise. So, yes, they are copying stuff directly from WAR.

• bodypassbodypass Member Posts: 770

Experience for PvP - both in daily world PvP and daily BG's were introduced in October 2007 ....

I leveled the last part of my PvP rogue purely on PvP doing the daily PvP world quests and BG.

So ...

No news there - unless WAR was introduced in Sep 2007 ....

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

if you see a feature of a rival and you have the good sense to realize that it is better than yours, yes, you are going to try and implement it in your game as well.

This has been going on since the dawn of games and it is an evolving process.

What one has to be interested into is how this features will affect each game, where they are gonna be better made and so on.

In the end if the impact of WAR will make WoW a better PvP game, I am all for it to happen. I wish the impact of WoW will serve to make WAR a better game as well.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• WarguruWarguru Member Posts: 66

Heh good, then it's not me. When i read the link Yijal posted to where the announcement from Blizzard were made, every damn line just told me "copy, copy, copy...". It's like they're taking every little difference feature-wise that WAR has, and blizzard hasn't. It's like they're trying to not give anyone a reason to ever play WAR > WoW.  

Thanks again to Yijal for pointing this announcement out for me!

• Zayne3145Zayne3145 Member Posts: 1,448

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

I for one am glad that they are implementing this. I won't have to worry about buying WAR at all now if similar gameplay is incorporated into WoW. I can stick with just the one sub.

• redcap036redcap036 Member UncommonPosts: 1,230

What!?!.. WoW copying from other games, Shirley you jest?!

• PheacePheace Member Posts: 2,408
    Originally posted by redcap036

The funnies tis that as a MMO 90+% of the game WAR has been copied from predecessors as well but ow noes, don't mention it! xD

• jimmyman99jimmyman99 Member UncommonPosts: 3,221

I didn't even bother following the link becuase the whole idea of this thread is kinda silly. Who cares if someone copies someone? thats not evil, disrespectfull, dishonorable or bad. If some game copies something off another game, it is only good, because (usualy) it means that something was proven to be good by one game will be implemented into another game. If that other game copies it intelligently and implements it in a way that works well with the rest of the content, then we just might have another great game.

If some game copies WoW and adds something new and makes this all better then WoW, then that is just awesome! We will have another game that is even better then WoW. That is called progress! And that is good.

I am the type of player where I like to do everything and anything from time to time.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor - pre-WW2 genocide.
    imageimage

• ToidToid Member Posts: 20

Mythic made DaoC which were like the creators of pvp kind of lol so yeeeeeeeh have some of that

• FrobnerFrobner Member Posts: 649

I think all MMO players need to thank WAR for actually putting battlegrounds (scenarios) back into the MMO gaming world.  Many of the scenarios in WAR are soo unique and diffrent.  They are a blast to play - not just once or twice but 100 times over.   It also shows how BLizzard as deleberatly been ignoring the PVP content in WOW to support their E-sport gaming.  

Sadly it will not matter how much BLizzard talks about going back to BG.  BG will never have any meaning at all while Arenas are giving out all the PVP items.  Kalgan came out and said that was because its easier to measure "skill" in Arena....   lol..  And then in the same post he talked about how they are trying to prevent top geared players to team up with crap geared ppl to get them fast geared up....

Skill in MMOs should NEVER be based on a single person effort - It can not.  And NEITHER should it be based on the skill of 2 individuals that are heavily effected by class ablity rather than actual skills (no matter what Kalgan is saying).  On the other hand - Putting together a team of 10 ppl to fight for the top awards against 10 others is actually based on huge amount of skills and is alot more tactical than that of Arena.  BUt... Then... it isn't TV friendly enough for BLizzard....  So they ignore it - give it low amount of rewards and STILL reward the flavor of the day specs in Arena.   Funny how some classes are always flavor of the day tho... Like Kalgan and his dear warrior....

• SweeetSweeet Member Posts: 135
    Originally posted by Volkmar

if you see a feature of a rival and you have the good sense to realize that it is better than yours, yes, you are going to try and implement it in your game as well.
    This has been going on since the dawn of games and it is an evolving process.
    What one has to be interested into is how this features will affect each game, where they are gonna be better made and so on.
    In the end if the impact of WAR will make WoW a better PvP game, I am all for it to happen. I wish the impact of WoW will serve to make WAR a better game as well.

Very well said - the only thing that remains is who implements said feature better.

I only had two gripes with WoW - one was the lack of RvR, the other was the grind to get decent gear.

If they can solve the RvR issue, great, that's a step in the right direction. But I don't see them removing the casual gamer killing grind to get that all important PvP gear any time soon.

To wank, or not to wank. The ultimate MMO sacrifice.

• jagd1jagd1 Member Posts: 281
    Originally posted by jimmyman99

I didn't even bother following the link becuase the whole idea of this thread is kinda silly. Who cares if someone copies someone? thats not evil, disrespectfull, dishonorable or bad. If some game copies something off another game, it is only good, because (usualy) it means that something was proven to be good by one game will be implemented into another game. If that other game copies it intelligently and implements it in a way that works well with the rest of the content, then we just might have another great game.

,A lot of game bashed /insulted for being a wow clone by players/mmorpg forum  users until today and suddenly it became a good thing when blizzard started copy WAR ? Hypocrasy? (Dont take it personally ,i was trying to say something wrong with that logic)

Copying is best thing blizzard can do warguru

• GetalifeGetalife Member CommonPosts: 786

WOW is copy of WAR IP. So what else is left to copy anyways. I hardly care to be honest.

• tryklontryklon Member UncommonPosts: 1,370

Let me see, enter bgs from anywhere, give back the importance and feeling of horde vs alliance, or realm versus realm, introduce more types of bgs... Blizzard is officially showing concern with WAR, hehe, who would have guessed

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582
    Originally posted by tryklon

Let me see, enter bgs from anywhere, give back the importance and feeling of horde vs alliance, or realm versus realm, introduce more types of bgs... Blizzard is officially showing concern with WAR, hehe, who would have guessed

The funny things is.. someone made a list of the things that Warhammer does better than WOW.

1. coloring armor ( Done in UO)

2. Public quests ( Done in UO)

3. Queueing for BGs from anywhere

So really, 2 of the 3 things that are better in War than WOW are things Ultima Online has already been doing.

Now let me ask you this?   If a game did something better than Warhammer, would you tell the devs of warhammer not to add it because "oh well, they did it first, I quess we don't get it".

There is a reason Warhammer servers are med/low and why box sales are plummeting.  It brings nothing worthwhile except for a dumbed-down siege system from its other game,  I mean how can you have controllable seige weapons in a 6 year old game and not include them in your new game.  boring.

• susanto1228susanto1228 Member Posts: 203
    Originally posted by Warguru

With a recent announcement from blizzard saying how they are turning their PvP into more of a faction thing, and taking it away from competitive e-sports thing makes me think of WAR.. on top of that they are adding the possibility of queing from anywhere in the world..
    Their new tome system, err i mean Achievement system.. phasing outposts (living cities).
    Tell me, do I need a tinfoil hat or do you also think they are actually copying stuff directly from WAR?
    Link to the source where blizzard made the announcement is in my signature below.

actually I think Blizzard had this in their plans after watching the success of Guild Wars in terms of Faction and PVP not WAR, War just came out, its not proven yet, while GW is a success, blizzard views GW as a top, if not the TOP competitor to their franchise, not WAR, atleast not for the moment.

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582
    Originally posted by susanto1228

actually I think Blizzard had this in their plans after watching the success of Guild Wars in terms of Faction and PVP not WAR, War just came out, its not proven yet, while GW is a success, blizzard views GW as a top, if not the TOP competitor to their franchise, not WAR, atleast not for the moment.

What?  How can GW be a success it is free2play.   Last week it did not sell 1/20th the number of boxes as WOW did, and it collected no monthly fee.  If Blizzard is 'worried' about GW, then there are like 500 other games that it is more worried about because they are also free2play and have an online feature that is more active then GW.

Every Tom, Dick and Harry could come on this forum and  say " Blizzard is worried about 'my game'" if you want to go that route.

• NotArkardNotArkard Lord of the Rings Online CorrespondentMember Posts: 164
    Originally posted by Azrile

Originally posted by susanto1228

What?  How can GW be a success it is free2play.   Last week it did not sell 1/20th the number of boxes as WOW did, and it collected no monthly fee.  If Blizzard is 'worried' about GW, then there are like 500 other games that it is more worried about because they are also free2play and have an online feature that is more active then GW.

Every Tom, Dick and Harry could come on this forum and  say " Blizzard is worried about 'my game'" if you want to go that route.

When Guild Wars came out, they started releasing new campaigns like every 5 months. $50 every 5 months = $10/monthly. You can bet Guild Wars sold a lot of boxes. It's free to play, but they're smart about what they do. A lot of people who played World of Warcraft when GW and its expansions came out, went out and purchased them the same day.

It's not competition per se, since GW has no subscription it allowed WoW players to purchase GW and keep their WoW subscription active. Either way, Blizzard had to recognize GW was doing really well and looked into 'borrowing' some ideas from GW.

Blizzard is actually taking their faction play from GW, as was mentioned earlier, not WAR. They like to wait a little bit before they implement something to see if the players actually like it in another game(barber shop in LOTRO, achievements in thousands of games, etc).

As for lore: it's true, Warcraft is almost an identical copy of Warhammer Fantasy. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if we eventually saw Warcraft 40,000.

The contents of this post do not necessarily reflect the views of MMORPG.com and its management.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739

Its funny while many of us know these guys are the kings of copy, there are still many people that know of no other game and think every game copies off of WoW.......

• ThekandyThekandy Member Posts: 621
    Originally posted by NotArkard

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if we eventually saw Warcraft 40,000.

Starcraft.

• Balthaazar1Balthaazar1 Member Posts: 531

Blizzard copying Warhammer? Wouldn't be the first time.. 

------------------------------

'Cry Havoc, and Let Loose the Dogs of WARRRRR!!!'

• lareslocilaresloci Member UncommonPosts: 373
    Originally posted by Theocritus

Its funny while many of us know these guys are the kings of copy, there are still many people that know of no other game and think every game copies off of WoW.......

So is Microsoft...and look how well they did....but you know it's like who makes the better  and cheeper ball point pen in the end.

Why is it that, as a culture, we are more comfortable seeing two men holding guns than holding hands? ~Ernest Gaines

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

And GW copied from Chainmail to make Warhammer...

And Chainmail was based on existing table-top gaming rules, some from Avalon Hill...

"There's nothing new under the sun."

And faction based gameplay? That's been around forever. Unreal, Tribes, Planetside (Before DAOC had working RvR), any number of RTS's...