Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

130 minutes in...

WickershamWickersham Member UncommonPosts: 2,379

I loaded up the free trial to EVE and went thru the starting tutorial quests which had me kill a pirate, then recover a document and then deliver the document - Easy!

The next mission had me head out to deep space and do something about a habitat - I can't get to the habitat because there are 2 ships inbetween it and I.  The 2 ships have me badly outclassed...like 10 to 1 - Not easy at all...insanely difficult!

I feel as if I've just learned how to eat with chopsticks and now someone wants me to kill a damn tiger with them.

Is this a bug?  Am I not supposed to do these quests?  What am I doing wrong? Is this a typical scenario with EVE?

"The liberties and resulting economic prosperity that YOU take for granted were granted by those "dead guys"

Comments

• NogginNoggin Member Posts: 808

I think by now you should have received a new ship, check that whilst in a hangar.

I forget exactly the name of the mission chain 'Cash for Capsuleers' or similar - It's a 10 mission chain and by the end of it you're basically ready to go with equipment, ships and ISK.

Sorry I don't remember the details exactly, it's been a while.

• TheHorrorTheHorror Member Posts: 29

I found it impossibly difficult as well when I started.

My suggestion is this: go mine for a bit, or do a little bit of trading (buy stuff somewhere, fill cargo hold, move somewhere else).  Mining is the easiest option. 

Once you earn about 200-300k, use all of that money to buy a combat frigate.  Slap on either some armor plates or shield extenders, and buy some guns (try longer ranged weaponry like artillery or railguns).  Remember to insure the ship. 

You should be able to complete all your lvl 1 missions in that ship if you are careful and run when you have to.  Hint: docking at a station then undocking again replenishes your shields and capacitor to full.

• Lonesamurai1Lonesamurai1 Member Posts: 1,210

if you need a hand, my ingame name is Tyr Dominator

message me and i'll come give you a hand

imageimage

• kovahkovah Member UncommonPosts: 692

If you follow the mission chain given to you at the start, mostly courier iirc, the last one rewards you with a frigate.  the noob ship is not good for more than the first pirate encounter in the tutorial and the subsaquent courier missions.  Either that or do the above and purchase a frig.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

You get 2 very easy missions, then you do a 10 part. The 2 very easy can be done in the noob ship with the noob gun and miner. Then you need to get a Frigate and some real guns. Continue to use Civ shield boosters and armor repair modules untill you can use named ones. This will get you through the 10/ 10 cash for capsuleers. There are plenty of frigates that go for 50K up to 150K and if you insure them, you will be fine. The biggest problem in the newest points of the game is the transition out of that noob ship and most important, that noob gun. It has a .5 damage multiplier and that translates to next to no damage. Dump that civillian gun asap.

• WickershamWickersham Member UncommonPosts: 2,379

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I bought a Navitas frigate and put 2 railguns on it.  The 2 ships that were blocking me are now gone but the several others that were in the area started to head towards me so I had to warp away before I could take the habitat down.

I just bought an Incursus and am going to train up some of the gunnery skills so I have access to the bigger weapons.  While I wait for training i'm mining veldspar with the Navitas.

It'll take some time, but I'll get that pirate habitat yet.

"The liberties and resulting economic prosperity that YOU take for granted were granted by those "dead guys"

• x_rast_xx_rast_x Member Posts: 745

<p>Incursus is probably the most rookie-friendly Gallente frigate.  With loads of SPs in the correct areas (which are not the same) it is eventually eclipsed by both the Tristan and the Imicus, but for people just starting out it's hard to beat.</p>
    <p>Get Eve Fitting Tool and Evemon (Google 'em), they'll help you out a ton.  Just remember that anyone can be an EFT warrior - the DPS and tankage numbers.. they aren't estimates, but they do represent ideal conditions which never happen in any realistic circumstance.  You'll get a feel for it quick enough.</p>

• F'larF'lar Member Posts: 60

Another good starting Friget is the Merlin a caldari frigate, it is cheap has a nice slot layout and the power to use them for a number of purposes.

But if you want to keep with Gallentean I also have to say the Incursus is a great ship.

I would try to train up to Cruiser as fast as possible an dthe Exequror is the best cruiser for this, it is cheap ( around 2mill, and with the payout of most  level 1 missions that will not take long)  and the skills are easy to get and train,

Gallente cruiser 1

Space Command 3 ( I think that you start with that skill)

Gallente Frigate 4 ( you start with that one)

Space Command 1

So really for buying one skill book you have one of the best all round ships in the game ( personal opion lol) of cource this is a Jack-of-all-trade type ship, but for the price it does everything very well.

• WickershamWickersham Member UncommonPosts: 2,379

Well, I finally got the habitat

Turns out the other ships that started to close in on me were Initiates and didn't fare well against my railguns and howitzer.  I knocked them out before I tried for the habitat again - success.

My next mission has me kill pirates.  Most of them are soft targets except for two of them which were hitting me too hard and once again I had to warp away.  I figure I'll boost up my shields, look into a different ammunition type, and possibly look into drones...

• DJDizzyDJDizzy Member Posts: 119
    Originally posted by F'lar

Another good starting Friget is the Merlin a caldari frigate, it is cheap has a nice slot layout and the power to use them for a number of purposes.

But if you want to keep with Gallentean I also have to say the Incursus is a great ship.
     Yes, the incursus is the best gallente frigate out there.
      I would try to train up to Cruiser as fast as possible an dthe Exequror is the best cruiser for this,
    WHOA, Stop right there, the exequror IS NOT, the best cruiser for that or for anything matter of fact, its the thorax/vexor

Your culture will adapt to serve us.
    Resistance is futile

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507

OP, I just wanted to say I salute your attitude about all of this.  Many people run into challenges in the tutorial and come to these forums to whine about how hard EVE is or that its too complicated to figure out.

Your willingness to stick to it and go back and try new things to overcome obstacles impresses me and I think you might just be perfect for the EVE universe.

Good luck and safe flying..... 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SuplyndmndSuplyndmnd Member Posts: 553
    Originally posted by Kyleran

OP, I just wanted to say I salute your attitude about all of this.  Many people run into challenges in the tutorial and come to these forums to whine about how hard EVE is or that its too complicated to figure out.
    Your willingness to stick to it and go back and try new things to overcome obstacles impresses me and I think you might just be perfect for the EVE universe.
    Good luck and safe flying..... 

Damn you Kyleran, i was just gonna post and say the same thing.  =)  The great thing i like about this game is the learning curve.  This guy sounds just like me when i started about 1 1/2 months ago.  I'd heard so many good things about this game i just had to give it 100% as well.  I'm glad to see other people are doing the same.  I used to run from rats. Now i seek them out and shove 4 railguns up their exhausts and "pull the trigger till it go click" (Big Lebowski quote alert).

Congrats (albeit this is a month late almost) on taking care of the rats.  Pesky little bastards,

EVE - Sharvala
    FFXI - Shazamalicious
    Guild Wars - Xavier Lucifer & Charlize the Necro
    "Ranged...stuck...tree...15 random words... suck... noob fanboy... I MAKE GUIDE!"

• solusbelatorsolusbelator Member Posts: 102

Excellent attitude! 

One word of caution, EVE gets into your blood.  Oh it might seem like it's just your typical game (albeit a hard one).  The longer you play,  the more you learn and understand, the more involved you get, the addiction grows.  Its all a slow and subtle process, may even take up to several months, and possibly (like me) even involve setting it aside for a month or two.  I kept training during that time, but would only logon long enough to switch skills.  But it always stayed there in my mind, something kept drawing me back, so I started playing regularly again. 

Beware, slowly, ever so slowly it creeps up on you until one morning you wake up and realize you've had a dream about EVE.

In all my years of gaming, including playing several games for years almost every night, I've never had a dream about a game.  Until EVE.  And with the new stuff in the pipeline, the future of EVE is looking even better.  :)

Originally posted by solusbelator

Excellent attitude! 
    One word of caution, EVE gets into your blood.  Oh it might seem like it's just your typical game (albeit a hard one).  The longer you play,  the more you learn and understand, the more involved you get, the addiction grows.  Its all a slow and subtle process, may even take up to several months, and possibly (like me) even involve setting it aside for a month or two.  I kept training during that time, but would only logon long enough to switch skills.  But it always stayed there in my mind, something kept drawing me back, so I started playing regularly again. 
    Beware, slowly, ever so slowly it creeps up on you until one morning you wake up and realize you've had a dream about EVE.
    In all my years of gaming, including playing several games for years almost every night, I've never had a dream about a game.  Until EVE.  And with the new stuff in the pipeline, the future of EVE is looking even better.  :)

Tihs is so true.  I really liked EVE when I started, but there were a few dull spots in the 1st year, but as it went on and I found myself presented with more and more opportunities for peforming different roles that I now find EVE to be extremely fun as I move through my 2nd year, and yet no end in sight to the possibilities ahead.  So much to do, so little time.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• McpoopypantsMcpoopypants Member Posts: 115

Hey just wanted to add if your sticking with Gallente get them drone skills up. I started with an incursis just like you, moved up to a thorax for pvp and vexor for mission, now I just got my ishtar and most of my drone skills are to 4 or 5, my drones just massacre the missions.

• MisanthropisMisanthropis Member Posts: 16

I really like the encouragement I'm seeing here.

I started EVE about a month ago, and find myself playing "passively," merely checking on my skills and training more, maybe once per week doing a mission or two. I'd really love to get really immersed in the game, as it's just so incredible (And yes, despite the cliched use, "deep"). I think it's the perfect blueprint of future MMORPGs (Although I find the combat to be quite a chore; not just because it's difficult, but to me it [is] in fact a little dull).

If anyone could also help me get into the game, I'd love the help.

My name is Proht Faldon. I'm running a Thorax and training for Interceptors at the moment (I figure the faster ships might make it more enjoyable since it currently feels like I'm playing space underwater [The slow seeming movement in battle]).

Thanks!

• Mopar63Mopar63 Member UncommonPosts: 300

I want to take a moment and disagree with some of the posts here. I have just run through the starter missions a few days ago as a Minmatar and I can tell you the Reaper (Noob ship) is EASILY able to run through all ten of those missions.

What I did was use the salvage I got to refit the Reaper, it can handle two guns so I mount a pair of 125 MM Autocannons as I salvaged them. I then added a Civilian Shield Booster and had no issues running the 10 starter missions.

Now in the case of the Minmatar you do get two new ships over the course of the missions, a Slahser about mission two or three and a Stabber about mission 9. Most people I know rush to a Rifter but I have now been mission running for a week, all combat using nothing but the Slasher, my is named Whisper. I have not yet lost the ship and have never failed to complete a mission or get the bonus.

I do however agree with the other posters in that the OP has displayed an excellent attitude and is a welcome addition to the EVE community. My advice is do not gte in a rush, enjoy the frigates while you can right now. Max out your support skills before moving to new ship classes it will carry you well.

• McpoopypantsMcpoopypants Member Posts: 115
    Originally posted by Misanthropis

I started EVE about a month ago, and find myself playing "passively," merely checking on my skills and training more, maybe once per week doing a mission or two. I'd really love to get really immersed in the game, as it's just so incredible (And yes, despite the cliched use, "deep"). I think it's the perfect blueprint of future MMORPGs (Although I find the combat to be quite a chore; not just because it's difficult, but to me it [is] in fact a little dull).
    My name is Proht Faldon. I'm running a Thorax and training for Interceptors at the moment (I figure the faster ships might make it more enjoyable since it currently feels like I'm playing space underwater [The slow seeming movement in battle]).
    Thanks!

I was like you for a few months. I started eve then found myself only checking in to check skills. Since I wasnt actively playing I did this til all my learning skills got up to rather 4 or 5.

Soloing can be boring, try joinign a corp, go through the recruitment channel on eve online website and try to find one that suits your personality, this should really make the game morei nteresting.

I run gallente missions mostly, level 3's ill throw you a chat or eve mail and see whats up

• jagd1jagd1 Member Posts: 281
    Thanks!

You can join to eve univercity  ,Eve univercity help new players and teach basics im sure you can find someone else at there when you need ask questions/need help.You can move other player corps when you want/ready

Thanks!

You need to get into some PVP action. That slow seeming movement will suddenly seem far too fast when you have an interceptor locking you in place and a Vagabond blasting your hull off of you.

Look for a good PVP corp and get fighting, (FW's are good too) and you'll find the game to be much more fun. (and you can fight in a frigate, no need for the fancy ships)