Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another korean f2p bites the dust in NA market

OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Codemasters is taking the North American and European servers for RF Online off the air on Nov 9.

One of those f2p that I tried,but never could get into.  Competition sucks.

There will be more of them.  I don't expect many of these MMO's designed for the younger set to last long either.

Ten to one none of these companies did a very thorough market research. 

Comments

• kithekithe Member UncommonPosts: 111

I remember first seeing the movies to promote RF online... it thought it was a Final Fantasy meets Gundam with Xeno saga as father in law kinda game... To bad it was just another grinder... :/

• RollotamasiRollotamasi Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 898

If im not mistaken isn't codemasters a British game company?

-Currently looking forward to FFXIV

-Currently playing EvE and Global Agenda

• pileopooppileopoop Member Posts: 91

Game was made by CCR which is korean

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

Game was taken down becuse of agreement issues. not becuse it was unpopuler.

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• kithekithe Member UncommonPosts: 111

Maybe they can't agree on if it's popular or not ^^ 

Nah, it prolly was a good game, for me it was just that I was hyped to think it was something it really wasn't. My own fault for getting excited about promo material ^^

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by SgtFrog

Ah, agreement issues means money and it must have not been doing very well if they did not want to continue licensing.  So that pretty much makes your point moot.

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Ah, agreement issues means money and it must have not been doing very well if they did not want to continue licensing.  So that pretty much makes your point moot.

You cant prove that as they can disgaree is many other fields. Not only money

so that makes your poiny moot.

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• darkmandarkman Member UncommonPosts: 767
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Codemasters is taking the North American and European servers for RF Online off the air on Nov 9.
    One of those f2p that I tried,but never could get into.  Competition sucks.
    There will be more of them.  I don't expect many of these MMO's designed for the younger set to last long either.
    Ten to one none of these companies did a very thorough market research. 

You also do realize this game was originally designed as a P2P game, and was that for a year and a half before going F2P?

Seems like you didn't do your research either.

RF suffered not from a lack of income, but from a bad developer publisher relationship.

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613

Yes it was a bad developer publisher relationship.  Even with it's game play it really had no reason to die persay.

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• UpskirtPowerUpskirtPower Member Posts: 230
    Originally posted by Rollotamasi

If im not mistaken isn't codemasters a British game company?

codemasters is a euro publisher. RFonline is developed by koreans.

• RedwoodSapRedwoodSap Member Posts: 1,235

Many of us agree not to play item shop games, so called "free to play" games.

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

What do you mean "another"?

I'm not up on all the Asian F2P games (as there are so many) but what else has shut down?

I do know that the following western games have shut down recently

• Hellgate (MMO portion)
    • Fury
    • Face of Mankind (why is this game even still listed?)
    • AC2
    • Auto Assault

Ryzom recently resurrected as was Horizons.

And there are dozens of P2P that are essentually deserted of pops. VG, DDO, SWG, EQ2, PS, AC, The Matrix, TR....

AoC is consolidating servers....

Hardly a rosey picture validating the P2P model.

• Calintz333Calintz333 Member UncommonPosts: 1,193

YAY! Now only 9999 more Korean grind fests to go and we get rid of most of the really crappy mmorpgs out there today! I vote Get rid of Sword of the new world next!

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

RF online gave a bad name to koran grind games. It was botted heavily and poorly maintained, and dont forget the fact that it was also a potion spamming game.

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• phatpeteyphatpetey Member Posts: 323

Well, what can I say, too bad for everyone who plays RF-online, but since I never got into the game I must say I don't care about the-going-offline of fthe server.

And by the way I don't think the RF community was that big. Otherwise codemaster didn't make the game F2P after some years of P2P-ness.