Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeff Freeman - Rest In Peace

Comments

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Just here to say rest in peace and pay my respects to a stranger and their family the only way I can -  I really hope all the best for his family :(

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• Godfather270Godfather270 Member Posts: 1

This ran in this mornings newspaper:

www.legacy.com/News-Journal/Obituaries.asp

Yesterday I pulled up some of the message boards and our mother read replies, thought and prayers. It meant so much to her to see how much people cared. She is hurting very much; I can not thank you enough for your words at a time when she truly needed them.

It is very important that everyone understand this did not have anything to do with NGE. There should be no guilt; it is time to celebrate who he was and what he meant to each of us. God gave me a great gift when my brother was born.

I still remember a young kid showing his older brother a program he wrote where a red ball bounced on a screen. He was so excited. I thought "what's the big deal" but I knew he was special. He had a mind like no one I knew, he was truly a brilliant man, and I will miss him everyday.

Thank you all.

• DarthMaulUKDarthMaulUK Member Posts: 296

Very sad news indeed. RIP Jeff and thanks for your contribution to the game. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

get your 7 day FREE sub to SWTOR
    http://www.swtor.com/r/7DDKjQ

• GoldknyghtGoldknyght Member UncommonPosts: 1,519

Eh what did he do for SWG again? serious question.

RIP JEFF

• FishermageFishermage Member Posts: 7,562
    Originally posted by Goldknyght

Eh what did he do for SWG again? serious question.

RIP JEFF

He was lead gameplay designer. I know I heard he was instrumental in the Creature Handler profession, as well as the Jump to Lightspeed expansion.

• GoldknyghtGoldknyght Member UncommonPosts: 1,519

How did he die? Im trying to find something on this but i get nothing. Was it a accident or what? so wierd how people are dying this year that i think should still be alive.

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

suicide apparently.

• dalevi1dalevi1 Member Posts: 829

I feel really bad for his family. I can't remember ever saying anything bad about Jeff, mostly just about SOE and LA in general. I hope he left his family in good straights, no one deserves to go through this...

Played (more than a month): SWG, Second Life, Tabula Rasa, Lineage 2, Everquest 2, EvE, MxO, Ryzom.

Tried: WoW, Shadowbane, Anarchy Online, Everquest, WWII Online, Planetside

Beta: Lotro, Tabula Rasa, WAR.

• kefkahkefkah Member UncommonPosts: 832

The Guestbook for Jeff's Obituary which can also be found in the link posted by his brother in this thread. Posting it because his brother mentioned that he and his family had been reading our comments and wanted to them to know directly our thoughts without the forum protocol.

http://www.legacy.com/News-Journal/gb/GuestBookView.aspx?personID=118224322&eid=viewgb_100108

• MathosMathos Member Posts: 897

Wish the best for his family and friends.

• YendoYendo Member Posts: 64

if this is true, its very sad news.

my prays are with his family

• fordzillafordzilla Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 100
    Originally posted by erandur

Who knows, the trolls might actually think now before they act... It's pretty obvious all the complaining about SWG made him depressed...
    I feel sorry for his family... Reading that he also served his country in war, made me really respect this guy. RIP, and may SWG get a resurrection.

if you need to blame someone then perhaps the asses at soe who decided he should be the whipping boy?

of course not just blame the vets. even though he is the one person the vets forgave openly for his part...and he is the only one who apologized for it. also his brother said the game had nothing to do with it but whatever if blaming us makes you feel better go for it. kinda low to bring that up now though.

for me i think it is a true tragedy and a loss to all mmo gamers. i choose to remember his work on UO and remember the good things.

• Ransom73Ransom73 Member Posts: 227

Such a shame this happened.

Thoughts and prayers to his family.

Guess this kinda proves to the rlmmo.com nutjobs that I'm not who they think I am.

• Schonk31Schonk31 Member Posts: 72

R.I.P Jeff Freeman.

• GrandAmGrandAm Member Posts: 404

R.I.P

I never knew you Mr. Freeman.  But you contributed to my life by helping to bring entertainment and joy to it.

I am sad to see you go.

To Mr. Freeman's family and friends I wish you peace in this hard time.

"Suddenly, thousands of Trekies whose heads are full of facts of things like the stardate when the Cardassians farted on Deep Space nine are irrlelevant." - hardcoremoviecritic

• DracusDracus Member Posts: 1,449
    Originally posted by kefkah

The Guestbook for Jeff's Obituary which can also be found in the link posted by his brother in this thread. Posting it because his brother mentioned that he and his family had been reading our comments and wanted to them to know directly our thoughts without the forum protocol.
    http://www.legacy.com/News-Journal/gb/GuestBookView.aspx?personID=118224322&eid=viewgb_100108

Thanks for the link.

/signed

And that is why...

Conservatives' pessimism is conducive to their happiness in three ways. First, they are rarely surprised -- they are right more often than not about the course of events. Second, when they are wrong they are happy to be so. Third, because pessimistic conservatives put not their faith in princes -- government -- they accept that happiness is a function of fending for oneself. They believe that happiness is an activity -- it is inseparable from the pursuit of happiness.

• HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129

O geez. This really is very sad. I wish Jeff would have reached out for some help. It is a  tragic way to die. Way to early. He made a permanent solution to probably tempory problems. But when people are in a state where they do not want to live, they do not think of this. I wish he would have reached out for help.

That is all I can say at this moment, taking your own life may end ones tempory suffering, but leads to others long term suffering from the loss.......

• MakestroMakestro Member Posts: 218

RIP

www.scarybadguys.com

• hubertgrovehubertgrove Member Posts: 1,141

Poor fellow. Of all the SOE Developers, he was the one who seemed most honest and forthcoming.

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516

Condolences to the family he left behind.  Have nothing further to say about Jeff Freeman and the NGE as the man is no longer here to defend himself.  I hope his family will be able to move forward and find happiness in life once again.

• kefkahkefkah Member UncommonPosts: 832

This just in from the Ducks

Originally Posted by Maximilius

In respect, honor and celebration of Jeff Freeman's life and contributions to the worlds of entertainment and creativity, the Duck Staff would like to officially enshrine his life and morn his death with the placement of the Jeff Freeman Memorial Fountain in Theed City Square, or the now Jeff Freeman Memorial Square.

We would like everyone - Star Wars Galaxies players, Star Wars fans, Gamers and casual commonalities alike - to join us in rejoycing in his spirit, and eternally respect his name. On behalf of everyone here at Duck - Thank you, Jeff.

I personally would also like to extend my deepest and most humble thanks to Kyle, who's idea and work it was to create the Memorial. You, sir, are a true visionary. I would like to say I'm very proud and honored to be a part of a team who's compassion and resolve is stead fast.

With the most compassionate regards,

The Duck Team.

Image of Fountain below.

image.ocdsoft.com/images/6j7bxxn86ncxmeagi6z.jpg

• fluxenfluxen Member UncommonPosts: 40

Sad to hear, my thoughts go out for the family,  Rest in peace Jeff.

I wonder if the thread would have been so large and so full of warm thoughts towards Jeff Freeman if it had been not about him but about his former colleague Dan 'Om Nom Nom' Rubenfield?

• KylrathinKylrathin Member Posts: 426
    Originally posted by hubertgrove

I wonder if the thread would have been so large and so full of warm thoughts towards Jeff Freeman if it had been not about him but about his former colleague Dan 'Om Nom Nom' Rubenfield?

Suicide is awful regardless, of course.  That said, I doubt it.  Jeff took the time to come out of hiding and put himself in the line of fire in an effort to answer questions and clear the air.  He flat-out admitted that he was not thinking of existing players when playing his part in the NGE, and openly regretted it.  None of us (yourself included :) ) had gotten anything resembling an apology for the NGE being implemented prior to that.  It was Smed saying "We fucked up the timing was all.  The changes were great, and you're all idiots for hating them."  Dan's comments weren't too different from that, though he did say he pointed out to management that going from 32 professions to 9 would cost them all their subs.  But it was more of "the changes themselves were good, and you're all a bunch of douchebags for not realizing it."  No, I do NOT want Dan to kill himself, nor does any other self-respecting member of the human race.  But given Dan's general lack of contrition, I'd guess the turnout would be less.

Also, we're familiar with what modules Jeff coded.  Personally, I'm less familiar with what pre-CU responsibilities Dan had, and whether or not he's even proud of them.  While, per Jeff's brother, the overall shittiness of people toward Jeff regarding his NGE involvement had nothing to do with his death, I know at least I feel a little guilt that I never took the time in life to say "thanks" for what he did for pre-CU.  He showed up here and other places and gave us all ample opportunity to do so.  Some people did do that, and I do feel bad that I wasn't one of them (though I guess I did on the oboards as a general "thanks" to the devs after JTL was released).  Jeff was extremely proud of what he did in pre-CU, and he had every right to be - Creature Handler was awesome, and I spent more time in JTL after it was released than anywhere even in real life.  Dan was involved in things as well, but I don't know what things, nor have they been posted anywhere that I'm aware of.

There's a sucker born every minute. - P.T. Barnum

Originally posted by Kylrathin

Originally posted by hubertgrove

Suicide is awful regardless, of course.  That said, I doubt it.  Jeff took the time to come out of hiding and put himself in the line of fire in an effort to answer questions and clear the air.  He flat-out admitted that he was not thinking of existing players when playing his part in the NGE, and openly regretted it.  None of us (yourself included :) ) had gotten anything resembling an apology for the NGE being implemented prior to that.  It was Smed saying "We fucked up the timing was all.  The changes were great, and you're all idiots for hating them."  Dan's comments weren't too different from that, though he did say he pointed out to management that going from 32 professions to 9 would cost them all their subs.  But it was more of "the changes themselves were good, and you're all a bunch of douchebags for not realizing it."  No, I do NOT want Dan to kill himself, nor does any other self-respecting member of the human race.  But given Dan's general lack of contrition, I'd guess the turnout would be less.

Also, we're familiar with what modules Jeff coded.  Personally, I'm less familiar with what pre-CU responsibilities Dan had, and whether or not he's even proud of them.  While, per Jeff's brother, the overall shittiness of people toward Jeff regarding his NGE involvement had nothing to do with his death, I know at least I feel a little guilt that I never took the time in life to say "thanks" for what he did for pre-CU.  He showed up here and other places and gave us all ample opportunity to do so.  Some people did do that, and I do feel bad that I wasn't one of them (though I guess I did on the oboards as a general "thanks" to the devs after JTL was released).  Jeff was extremely proud of what he did in pre-CU, and he had every right to be - Creature Handler was awesome, and I spent more time in JTL after it was released than anywhere even in real life.  Dan was involved in things as well, but I don't know what things, nor have they been posted anywhere that I'm aware of.

If you don't know what things 'Dan was involved with' - and many vets do - then why make this long, irrelevant post? May I recommend you edit or delete it?