Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lack of chat? Not a long-term issue.

I've come to the conclusion that there is a few reasons why this game come across as "anti-social"

1.  The crappy chat interface:  No surprise that the chat interface is one of the clunkiest I have ever seen.  Its about as non-intuitive as it gets.  Only time will fix this and I expect Mythic to improve the chat options in this game and the interface in general.

2.  The "wow crowd" :  Follow me on this... how many of you came from WoW?  I did.  I got sick and tired of everytime I logged into check my AH sales I was spammed with messages over gen chat and trade of nothing but mindless babble and 4chan memes and kids typing cuss-words they heard at school that day over the internet.  IMHO warhammer caters to a more mature MMO crowd.  Destruction and Order alike, we are tired of the mindless crap chat that never ends in other games.

3. We are enamored with the game:  The game is brand new.  personally, I have been way to busy playing alts, trying crafts, testing specs, blah blah blah to engage in chat.  Quite simply put, people aren't BORED enough to chat yet.... and thats a good thing.

Chat will pick up over the next month or so.  Mythic will improve the chat box, people will learn how to use it better, folks will settle into their main(s) and begin building reputations.  Honestly the silence is golden, its not like stepping into Undercity or Ironforge and getting hammered by every dumbass with a keyboard and a grudge.  Don't knock the silence... its a good thing.

Comments

• LukainLukain Member UncommonPosts: 591

theirs a chat chanel ? I only played for 2 week but never saw any chat apart for the few /say from someone close to me

• VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198

Dem waffles are good eats.

• Black_ElvisBlack_Elvis Member Posts: 188
    Originally posted by VirgoThree

Dem waffles are good eats.

Waffles are never given a spot on a poll, they earn it.

• markoraosmarkoraos Member Posts: 1,593
    Originally posted by Lukain

theirs a chat chanel ? I only played for 2 week but never saw any chat apart for the few /say from someone close to me

use /p for party, /wb for warband and /sc for scenario.

... and when you enter a scenario your party channel retains the members you originaly had so you can use them as an instant premade.

In other words, if you PQed with some folks when you got invited to a scenario you can still use /p to commmunicate with them exclusively which is really useful.

Originally posted by markoraos

Originally posted by Lukain

use /p for party, /wb for warband and /sc for scenario.

... and when you enter a scenario your party channel retains the members you originaly had so you can use them as an instant premade.

In other words, if you PQed with some folks when you got invited to a scenario you can still use /p to commmunicate with them exclusively which is really useful.

my point!  Folk simply dont know how to use the chat yet and we are too busy to learn how to do so.  Ty for posting this, hopefully someone reads it and takes that knowledge with them.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

I agree with the first point OP made about the clunky chat interface.  It is bad.  WoW's is much smoother and makes communicating AND reading chat much easier.  I really cant agree with the second point.  Sure WoW has obnoxious people, but EVERY game has obnoxious people, even War.  Atleast in Wow's general chat, I would laugh my ass off in the cities and be able to NOTICE somebody asking a question (or what have you) while questing. 

Originally posted by TheHavok

I agree with the first point OP made about the clunky chat interface.  It is bad.  WoW's is much smoother and makes communicating AND reading chat much easier.  I really cant agree with the second point.  Sure WoW has obnoxious people, but EVERY game has obnoxious people, even War.  Atleast in Wow's general chat, I would laugh my ass off in the cities and be able to NOTICE somebody asking a question (or what have you) while questing. 

I agree with you.  Perhaps I should have worded point 2 better.  What I meant to convey is that the folks who left WoW are sick of stupid chat.  Quite honestly we need a break from it.  No one is talking because on a subconsious level we are glad that we don't get spammed with

ANAL <insert player talent here>

or

[The Knicker] jokes

or

any other 1/2 assed, worn out, tired internet meme.

As a result alot of us are more tight lipped in WAR.   Good points tho.

• plaxidiaplaxidia Member UncommonPosts: 171

Have to agree with the OP a bit here.. But as for #2.. Its not just Wow playersbelieve me..  I used to tell my friends that I only read world chat when I wanted to lose braincells.. So yeh we all get our share of good conversations ending up in either sex or swearing..

I think the chat system will ballance out once everyone finds their place in game and settles in.. I would like to see w world chat though.. If nothing more to get scenario groups going outside of guild and meeting some new people :)

Originally posted by plaxidia

Have to agree with the OP a bit here.. But as for #2.. Its not just Wow playersbelieve me..  I used to tell my friends that I only read world chat when I wanted to lose braincells.. So yeh we all get our share of good conversations ending up in either sex or swearing..

I think the chat system will ballance out once everyone finds their place in game and settles in.. I would like to see w world chat though.. If nothing more to get scenario groups going outside of guild and meeting some new people :)

some sort of global or world chat is needed for sure.  We are already seeing Mythic make some obvious, no brainer, changes.  Case in point:  the ability to cross-que for scenarios.  Great idea and within a week... BAM... Mythic makes it happen.

So yeah, I think we will see this soon.  Or, at the very least some form of it.

• RetiredRetired Member UncommonPosts: 744

a ton of new chat fixes have been made in the new patch. i wish they would add tier chat channel. but i have a guild of 300 so i get good chat constantly(always 50 people online at any given time of the day). no uction house spam. game is really great, i am liking it more and more everyday. ery glad it tis getting the reviews it deserves. all you guys that feel lonely, get a busy guild

• MeridionMeridion Member UncommonPosts: 1,495

I think the silence is creepy. It's - besides lack of customization - one of the major flaws in my book. As it stands nobody uses /talk, in /guild everybody is on vent, the only sign of civilization is an occasional "flag left HEAL YOU MORONS" in a scenario...

I REALLY like to chat, does not have to be a global chat, but a zonewide'd be nice.

M

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888

chat interface needs improvement

game needs a tier wide chat, trade, defense set of channels.

---
    Ethion

Originally posted by ethion

chat interface needs improvement
    game needs a tier wide chat, trade, defense set of channels.

I never even thought of this.... WHY isn't this in a game that is based on RvR???

• madmax286madmax286 Member Posts: 36

I have expressed my opinion on this topic several times now I guess. While I find WAR an excellent game, this silence in chat sometimes troubles me. I haven't formed an opinion on the subject yet as there are some variables that need to be taken into notice.

War at this point is a very quiet game, no doubt about that. In other MMO's I've played there was mindless chatter everywhere. How many Chuck Norris can one take? What I usually had to do was filter out chat channels that became annoying. War's development team has found a solution to this problem. They have eliminated chat channels basically (only one channel active per zone, that does not cover the whole tier) and kept channels that fullfil their purposes like Guild, Warband etc. The message is clear......Talk only when you have to or when you need to. It's a good thing what they've done as they have essentially eliminated all the "noise" that goes on in MMO's.

On the other hand this system lacks functionality.

There is no alternative Trade system besides the AH (a trade channel for the matter and the subsequent linking of objects in chat). In essence there in no direct contact between seller and buyer.  

There is no recruitment system . This is serious as one cannot form a multi race guild if they are not recruiting in Altorf. The lack of official forums (I am not against that btw) make this problem even bigger. I had to go to Warhammer Alliance forums to find a guild. A recruitment channel would help in this direction.

There is no defence system. This is a RvR game. Something like a tier wide defence channel would come in handy.

A voice channel would also come in handy in the game given the nature of the game.  

Now I dont know which road the development team will take. If they implement these channels, then the "noise" will be back and the mindless chatter will start. I dont know if they will come up with alternative solutions to this....I'm very curious to see what they will do in the end.

• MeridionMeridion Member UncommonPosts: 1,495

man, I don't believe it.

I mean if there ARE chat channels you can filter them out in a second. you don't HAVE to listen to the "mindless white noise" of the game.

But tbh, the zone/global chats breathe life into a game. It let's you know you're not playing a single player game. You can ask questions or laugh about discussions, or join in. It's like being at a huge dinner-party with people standing and talking. You're not listening to all of them, how could you, but occasionally you join a conversation or listen to some people.

It makes the game feel alive. Right now I see generic NPC talk and many many people running from A to B, zombielike. Of course, they would be zombie-like too if there were chat channels; but my mind would make up that they're normal people that are more interested in chat than in ripping each others hearts our of their thoraces.

M

• madmax286madmax286 Member Posts: 36

Meridian you misinterpreted what I said.

Of course one can filter channels out but what happens when the channels you're interested in get spammed. How many times have we seen looking for group/fellowship/whatever, trade, general channels get spammed from people who just seek attention. How many of those does one need to put in their ignore list. I'm not saying that chat channels are not needed, I'm simply saying that there has always been an issue here which Mythic tries to tackle. 

I am also for the use of more ingame channels. I'm just being the devils advocate here and try to be careful what i'm asking for........ cause i might get more than that.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

A chat channel is really needed in any MMO. Unless WAR aims for FPS gamers instead of roleplayers, then it should be fine.

And yes, Mythic will improved the chat for sure but if they really want's to be over half a mil like they said then they need to fix this ASAP. Unless as I said before the are targetting a different group then other MMOs. Only problem with that is that Im not sure that FPS players would like monthly fees.