Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My Biggest Problem With "Up WIth WoW, Down With WAR" People...

I have read numerous topics about people compairing this game to World of Warcraft. I have a few points to give out.

1. Don't you realise, WoW wasn't as fun as it is today back at its launch. It wasn't the game you see now (obvously). WoW had countless bugs, but Blizzard had many employees working for them, so they got rid of them pretty fast.

2. WoW has had nearly 10 years to perfect and make it ultimately the best game of our time. How long has WAR had to perfect itself? Almost a month? *I know someone is going to say something like, BAH WAR has been in beta for l0ngZ time! It canz perfect in betaz!*

-Well, sorry to burst your bubble, but MMORPGs cant just come out of devolopment perfect, no matter how good the dev team is. The main reason is that you cannot simulate thousands of players playing at once. Most of the time, the bugs are caused by those players playing at the same time.

3. And finally, someone is going to come out and compare it to like LoTRO and say LoTRO is a better game than this crap! Well, LoTRO didn't have a pretty launch. I know, I was in it. This reinstates my point, you cant have a perfect launch. WoW has had plenty of time to perfect itself, and to be honest, WAR is repetitive, but it's not like pull your hair out repetitive. Even WoW is repetitive, kill 'x' boars and kill 'y' dragons. Thats just MMOs.

So as stated earlier, WoW and WAR are NOT the same game, and I am SICK AND TIRED OF PEOPLE COMPAIRING IT TO A GAME THATS BEEN OUT FOR ALMOST 10 YEARS.

Please keep in mind, I am not saying that you cannot bash the game, thats your opinion, but please, don't compare it to WoW in excess, because it's like comparing a small Lego house with a giant Lego Sculpture of the Empire State Building.

-I may have misspelled some things, but please mind it, I am not a good speller.

Comments

• GorairGorair Member Posts: 959

i just wished people would realise that both games can exist and do well at the same time , each to his own. I like war , dont care for wow , but i know 10 mil people do, so who am i to say its a crappy game?

I just know its not MY game. WAR is.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

• i_own_ui_own_u Member UncommonPosts: 314

Yes, I agree completly, I guess some people just can't stand a game that MIGHT take the WoW throne.

Not saying that it will, but it MIGHT.

• MurdusMurdus Member UncommonPosts: 698

I like WoW to an extent... and I haven't picked up WAR yet but I am sure I will enjoy it for some time... I might play both at the same time as long as some wack on cyberspace hears about the coexistance of TWO GAMES on one computer and then comes to my house with gun to make me choose...

I know exactly how you feel

• Black_ElvisBlack_Elvis Member Posts: 188

Vanilla WoW was ... well,  ~ WOW!  New, fresh, neat, etc....

Warcrap is and always was a good, solid game.  But, for me at least, the time has come to move on.  No hate or bad feelings involved (although blizz certianly deserves everything it gets).  Just time to move on is all...

TBC did nothing for me except fill the gap until another game came along that I liked.  WotLK proves to be nothing more than the same old crap grind fest.... and even worse at that.  So, no thx blizzard, I'm gonna give my 15 bucks a month to a company that offers me something familiar but fresh.  Not more of the same.

But yeah, the folks that go out of their way to trash whatever game they just left?  I don't understand those folks.

• yellowstainyellowstain Member Posts: 51

Whats the big deal?

WAR and WOW are both MMORPGS of course they are going to be compared.... thats just a big fat DUH!

But all games are different.. even expansions to a game make it feel different.

But of course i dont look at a game based on graphics like half of all gamers do...

Its easy to pee in the toilet, but most of us dont.

• SpeedMannSpeedMann Member UncommonPosts: 333
    Originally posted by i_own_u

2. WoW has had nearly 10 years to perfect and make it ultimately the best game of our time. How long has WAR had to perfect itself? Almost a month? *I know someone is going to say something like, BAH WAR has been in beta for l0ngZ time! It canz perfect in betaz!*

-Well, sorry to burst your bubble, but MMORPGs cant just come out of devolopment perfect, no matter how good the dev team is. The main reason is that you cannot simulate thousands of players playing at once. Most of the time, the bugs are caused by those players playing at the same time.

Well sorry to say WoW only been out for 3 or 4 years.

==================================================
    Happy! Happy! Joy! Joy!

• pruttelpruttel Member UncommonPosts: 22

Didn't know WoW was out for 10 years now...

not that i play wow but that is news for me.

• McpoopypantsMcpoopypants Member Posts: 115

Down with Wow and War and up with real mmo's

• nogardnaznogardnaz Member Posts: 111

I'm just saying that all you former WoWheads that pretend you hate the game so much and pretend that WAR is so much different and better are going to be saying the exact same shit about WAR come a year. You're going to hate the game when you realize it's completely shallow and, more importantly, when you realize it's just like WoW; that game that sucked the life out of you for a year until you finally came to your senses.

I hate WoW, I hate AoC, I hate LotRO and I hate WAR all for the same reason. These games are replacing innovation with gimmicks and you kids can't won't stop paying them money for it.

• mrnutz1065mrnutz1065 Member Posts: 228
    1. Don't you realise, WoW wasn't as fun as it is today back at its launch. It wasn't the game you see now (obvously). WoW had countless bugs, but Blizzard had many employees working for them, so they got rid of them pretty fast.

Ironically i think the complete opposite. Disregarding bugs et al, I had way more fun at the release of WoW, before the bots, the goldfarmers, the asshats and before arena.... I don't really like the direction in which WoW has gone. I'm hearing great things about Wotlk but will have to wait and see.

• peaquoppeaquop Member Posts: 53
    Originally posted by pruttel

Didn't know WoW was out for 10 years now...
    not that i play wow but that is news for me.

I know it is not to clear, but I think he was also including WOW's development cycle in those years.

4 years live this November and about 5 years in the making, comes to around 9 years.

• ZanzeerZanzeer Member Posts: 80

Good thread btw....From what i herd from people that played wow at launch WOW didnt have a great launch ...i herd it was more buggy then AOC...that should tell you something ...WOW is geared toward more kids ...look at the graphics it looks like a cartoon disney movie ....

why must you QQ so much ...

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

1. Don't you realize that comparing a game just released with how a game released 4 years ago (not 10) was at release is pointless? You CANNOT play WoW of 4 years ago, now can you? you can play the WoW of TODAY. So that is what WAR has to compete against, willingly or not.

2. WoW has been released november 2004. that is about 4 years. For the rest, see 1. Yes, games are not perfect at launch, that does not destroy the fact they still have to compete with already established titles, it is a sad but true reality in ANY sector.

3. See 1.

People will compare WAR to the leader of the market or to other popular games (like Lotro) that are similar to it. Get used to it, it is always done and I do not see what is exactly wrong in it. Competition is healthy for the companies but especially for us, the consumers.

Have a nice day.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

Originally posted by Volkmar

1. Don't you realize that comparing a game just released with how a game released 4 years ago (not 10) was at release is pointless? You CANNOT play WoW of 4 years ago, now can you? you can play the WoW of TODAY. So that is what WAR has to compete against, willingly or not.
    2. WoW has been released november 2004. that is about 4 years. For the rest, see 1. Yes, games are not perfect at launch, that does not destroy the fact they still have to compete with already established titles, it is a sad but true reality in ANY sector.
    3. See 1.
    People will compare WAR to the leader of the market or to other popular games (like Lotro) that are similar to it. Get used to it, it is always done and I do not see what is exactly wrong in it. Competition is healthy for the companies but especially for us, the consumers.
    Have a nice day.

Alright, lets compare a game with one that has fixed most of it's bugs. This thread is pointed to the cry babies who thing WAR is some bad game because it has bugs. I am simply stating that you cannot release a MMO with no bugs. And yes, it has been 10 years. One, Warcraft (the series) has been out for 10 years, and it took them almost 4 to devolop the game, so its around 10. Secondly, competing and compairing are two different things. Competing is when you run up against an opponent to try to take the best position. Compairing is when you judge the two opponents and predict who is going to win.

• PorfatPorfat Member Posts: 364

How did WoW ever compete with Everquest which had been out for about 5 years and had 8 or expansions when WoW was released?

If anything WAR should have an easy time competing with WoW since WAR is brand new and WoW is 4 years old. 

As another poster said all games (new and old) complete with each other for subscripts.   A new game has to be ready to go Day one.   Thats just the way it is.

• alcapwnyoualcapwnyou Member Posts: 97

If you compare it to wow, then compare it to the early release date wow.

I give no mercy

• leozapleozap Member Posts: 21
    Originally posted by SpeedMann

by 10years he included development. that makes sense.

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

I agree some of the rants against  WAR are ridiculous, as they  were for AoC and will be for future mmo's...it's the way of the world. Which is better, faster, bigger, easier?

That's how we are, and while it may not be fair to compare a new release with an established best seller, it is nonetheless what must done for the bar to be raised to the next level.

It's the way of industry, commerce, and society to be the best....and the only way to BE the best is to BEAT the best.

I don't play WoW anymore, as I have had my fill. I do however play WAR for the moment, and it's entertaining. For the moment. That's what life is..moments. And they invariably get compared to the last ones we had.

Those who are the senseless and illogical, not the labeled for debasement, ' fanbois' or 'trolls ' are just those that never got out of the  "My father can beat up your father" phase, and can't accept change.

It will happen no matter what, and those that are up to the challenge will be recognized...whether they succeed or not, only time will tell.

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501
    Originally posted by leozap

Originally posted by SpeedMann

by 10years he included development. that makes sense.

Then war has been out for 3 years already.(6 if we count CLIMAX too!) And if we count the Universe it is 25 years! OMG! how can you compare WoW to WAR? 10 years vs 25??

No one see the absurdity of this? and yes Warhammer had computer games too before WAR!

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• shugooshugoo Member Posts: 149

frankly im tierd of wow i just ask question that compair wow to war because i dont want to go to another game thats like wow

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

I have read numerous topics about people compairing this game to World of Warcraft. I have a few points to give out.

3. And finally, someone is going to come out and compare it to like LoTRO and say LoTRO is a better game than this crap! Well, LoTRO didn't have a pretty launch. I know, I was in it. This reinstates my point, you cant have a perfect launch. WoW has had plenty of time to perfect itself, and to be honest, WAR is repetitive, but it's not like pull your hair out repetitive. Even WoW is repetitive, kill 'x' boars and kill 'y' dragons. Thats just MMOs.
    So as stated earlier, WoW and WAR are NOT the same game, and I am SICK AND TIRED OF PEOPLE COMPAIRING IT TO A GAME THATS BEEN OUT FOR ALMOST 10 YEARS.
    Please keep in mind, I am not saying that you cannot bash the game, thats your opinion, but please, don't compare it to WoW in excess, because it's like comparing a small Lego house with a giant Lego Sculpture of the Empire State Building.
    -I may have misspelled some things, but please mind it, I am not a good speller.

10 years? are you sure?

• bodypassbodypass Member Posts: 770

it is quite simple.

You log in and you play ALL MMORPG's.

You look at the animation and control of your avatar.

You look how NPC's behave in an open seamless world you live in.

You look which game just invites you to play more and more and more.

And then you look at the number of paying subscribers (which WAR doesn't have at the moment because of the free month playing time).

And then wonder.... why?

Should be obvious.

• PheacePheace Member Posts: 2,408

Could you name a 5 some or something of these "countless" bugs?

Besides the always mentioned 'Loot Bug', which wasn't really a bug in the software but more the servers not being able to handle the load as well, same as the mail. (A bug every MMo developer would love to have)

• JonMichaelJonMichael Member Posts: 796

I was in the beta and release of LOTRO and it was an excellent launch, one of the better ones.  Was it perfect? No.... but it was a heck of a lot better than some other recently launched games.  I think WAR has had an excellent launch too.  Mythic should be proud.

Currently: AION, an MMO Beta under NDA
    Played: WAR, LOTRO, Hellgate: London, CoX, GW, SotNW, DAOC, EQ2, SWG, WoW, AO, Horizons, Second Life, There, TSO
    Beta'd: There, Second Life, EQ2, DAOC:LotM, LOTRO, Tabula Rasa, Gods and Heroes, Hellgate: London, Requiem:Bloodymare, AoC, WAR, DDO, Fallen Earth

Originally posted by Pheace

Could you name a 5 some or something of these "countless" bugs?

Besides the always mentioned 'Loot Bug', which wasn't really a bug in the software but more the servers not being able to handle the load as well, same as the mail. (A bug every MMo developer would love to have)

No, but can you give me proof that there were no bugs?