Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Chronicles of Spellborn: Free-to-Play Clarification

SzarkSzark News ManagerMember Posts: 4,420

The folks at The Chronicles of Spellborn have posted a clarification of the payment model for their game, clearing up confusion stemming from the game's free-to-play starting zone.

Hi Spellborn Community,

Today, I'd like to address concerns you guys voiced after the press release from Acclaim.

So first, TCoS is NOT a Free2Play game.

There is indeed a Free2Play ZONE, ie the starting area. We, Devs, are still looking into the extent of said area. That means, that you, players, can test the game for free, and then have to go for a regular subscription to continue playing the game and level up your character. No subscription equals to being stuck in free2play zone.

Second, there are NO item malls, there is NO item selling.

To sum up:

You can play the beginning of the game for free. This allows you to see whether you like Spellborn or not. If you do like it (we hope so :)), then you go for a subscription and that's it! Nothing more, nothing less, just go ahead and continue playing.

Read more here.

Comments

• BlackBeckBlackBeck Member Posts: 7

Nice, thats the way i prefer it.

• ShainnaShainna Member UncommonPosts: 58

This is an excelent way for players to test a game before paying for it. I would have never bought some of them if i could test them like this first.

• jinxitjinxit Member UncommonPosts: 854

Saga of ryzom had the same payment model, but does this mean the actual client will be free?

• LougarouLougarou Member Posts: 278
    Originally posted by jinxit

Saga of ryzom had the same payment model, but does this mean the actual client will be free?

No, but it should be cheaper than your standard AAA MMO.

• RobbgobbRobbgobb Member UncommonPosts: 674

I knew this all already but acclaim doesn't seem to me to be very intelligent in the way it presents itself. The acclaim page for TCoS looked like a beginners first try and making a fan site. The company really has me worried.

• BlackBeckBlackBeck Member Posts: 7

i hope they do their best to successfully keep the goldsellers out, the plague of free to play games.

• craynloncraynlon Member Posts: 255

i dont know if acclaim changed their press release because that pr alreaddy speaks of a free to play zone and subscribed content. the fact that devs have to step forwared and make an additional statement either speaks against those ppl from acclaim or is another sign how people nowadays dont bother to read anything, pick up catchwords and start trolling...........

if your bored, visit my blog at:
    http://craylon.wordpress.com/ dealing with the look of mmos with the nvidia 3d vision glasses

• SamuraiswordSamuraisword Member Posts: 2,111
    Originally posted by BlackBeck

i hope they do their best to successfully keep the goldsellers out, the plague of free to play games.

Well if they don't disable chat and the sending of tell abilities on these free accounts then they are clueless because Spellborn though less item centric than other MMOGs, still has "Sigils" to trade and sell that enhance your abilities, so there will be a market to buy/sell/trade for in-game coin and "Sigils".

• srasmsrasm Member UncommonPosts: 42
    Originally posted by BlackBeck

Nice, thats the way i prefer it.

Same here. Definitely going to try this one.

• rsrestonrsreston Member UncommonPosts: 346

Great idea having a free2play area - no need for trials!

• Amy571Amy571 Member Posts: 59

Glad they stepped in and cleared this up, I was slightly concerned and thrown off by the press release from Acclaim, as the way it was worded made it sound like it was indeed a f2p game with an optional subscription choice.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Ok at first I was like, OMG...NO!!!!  I've been keeping an eye on this game and it is one that I want to try out.  Well now I can for free :)

$50 bucks isn't really an issue around here.  Cheap for a months entertainment.  But if they want to let me try it for free, that shows innovative thinking and confidence.  I can't wait for launch.

• bendwc10bendwc10 Member UncommonPosts: 56

So wait a sec.  We would have to buy the game first.... then play for free in the starter zone?   Unless I missed something, this sounds like any other mmo that gives you  30 days free when you purchase it.

Originally posted by bendwc10

So wait a sec.  We would have to buy the game first.... then play for free in the starter zone?   Unless I missed something, this sounds like any other mmo that gives you  30 days free when you purchase it.

No, the starter Island is completely free (but with a leveling restriction) if you want to go to another zone you pay the sub.

• junglebeastjunglebeast Member UncommonPosts: 72

Since the game will be more skill based then equipement/gold based the need for gold/money and thus goldsellers will be pretty low. And sigils can be taken out and replaced in other new equipments/weapons. So I hope guilds will sort out these 'needs' for sigils themselves if they venture in PvE or PvP, and put a stop to goldsellers in general.

You know when you play too much MMO's when your partners pants have become a rare drop.

• bendwc10bendwc10 Member UncommonPosts: 56

This sounds like a good idea, but i would think that this would hurt their initial sales seeing as how you don't have to purchase the game in order to give the game a try.  

• RedwoodSapRedwoodSap Member Posts: 1,235

This sounds like a good idea, but i would think that this would hurt their initial sales seeing as how you don't have to purchase the game in order to give the game a try.  

It shows they are confident in their product and that by letting anyone try the game for free, they expect most will continue with a subscription. If it's a good game they stand to make a lot more money this way, rather than defrauding gamers on the initial box sale of a crappy release like AoC, just to lose them after a month or so.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751

Personally I'd rather have a free trial demo than have to buy the game at full price and get a free trial island......I think TCoS has a tough road with all the competition out but still hope they succeed......Just a hunch but I think they'll have problems with a p2p format and will have to look at f2p options down the road.......

• MaulzuMaulzu Member Posts: 13

Do you have even a basic understanding of reading comprehension? If not don't post on these forums. Just go ask your mother to read it to you and explain the big letters.

• MaulzuMaulzu Member Posts: 13
    Originally posted by Theocritus

Personally I'd rather have a free trial demo than have to buy the game at full price and get a free trial island......I think TCoS has a tough road with all the competition out but still hope they succeed......Just a hunch but I think they'll have problems with a p2p format and will have to look at f2p options down the road.......

Please tell us your basis for this hunch in detail.

• mutantmagnetmutantmagnet Member Posts: 274

You are mistaken. You have to buy the box.

Originally posted by Maulzu

Do you have even a basic understanding of reading comprehension? If not don't post on these forums. Just go ask your mother to read it to you and explain the big letters.

I'll tell you what I'll keep posting but I'll give you the option to put me on block so I don't  pollute your forum experience anymore than I already have.....

• RedwoodSapRedwoodSap Member Posts: 1,235
    Originally posted by mutantmagnet

You are mistaken. You have to buy the box.

Free trial area is available via free download. If you decide to subscribe then you also pay for the client either retail box or download.  Supposedly the box has some additional materials that would be desirable.

• vingvegavingvega Member Posts: 577

Hope it's not like AOC and it's starting area.  All awesome looking and fun to play then you leave the island and BAM...piece of junk.