Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is why I hate WoW!

If someone has only played WoW then No he actually has no idea about other games as wow has removed all the complexity and depth of other games and , I admit created a game that is fun to play but I for one love the depth and complexity of other games that had come before WoW. After WoW games all since then had seemed to lose thier depth and complexity that I so loved. We can all thank WoW for the sudden flux of casual friendly games now that even 2nd graders can enjoy! For example take Lineage II  I played it back in BETA and wasnt to thrilled but something has def changed now after 4 years. It is not casual friendly in the least and never was (thank god) And everyone I have met are all so much older and mature than WoW, (there are actually mmo's around that are almost entirely dovoid of whiny little kids)and no they don't have 10 million subscribers.But thanks to WoW im sure developers are gonna continue to develop casual friendly games that require little or no thought . I relize it is all about the money that can be made by millions of subscribers. Most of the games I played before WoW would be ruined if millions of people suddenly decided they wanted to play. Hell I have actually seen a lot of games where thier players actually went of forums like this and gave bad reviews to prevent too many people from playing them. This is just the way I feel mind you as I reliaze a lot of new MMO players have no idea what I'm talking about and therefore they are all gonna love WoW (and now WAR)and those type of games that are gonna be released now. I am an older gamer and as a true MMO fan I have played virtually every MMO that has come down the pipes in the last 15 years or so, so I know what I'm talking about!

Currently playing Ryzom and so far I'm loving it   http://www.vimeo.com/1725194

Flame away !!

 

Comments

  • ScalebaneScalebane Member UncommonPosts: 1,881
    Originally posted by Wrender


    If someone has only played WoW then No he actually has no idea about other games as wow has removed all the complexity and depth of other games and , I admit created a game that is fun to play but I for one love the depth and complexity of other games that had come before WoW. After WoW games all since then had seemed to lose thier depth and complexity that I so loved. We can all thank WoW for the sudden flux of casual friendly games now that even 2nd graders can enjoy! For example take Lineage II  I played it back in BETA and wasnt to thrilled but something has def changed now after 4 years. It is not casual friendly in the least and never was (thank god) And everyone I have met are all so much older and mature than WoW, (there are actually mmo's around that are almost entirely dovoid of whiny little kids)and no they don't have 10 million subscribers.But thanks to WoW im sure developers are gonna continue to develop casual friendly games that require little or no thought . I relize it is all about the money that can be made by millions of subscribers. Most of the games I played before WoW would be ruined if millions of people suddenly decided they wanted to play. Hell I have actually seen a lot of games where thier players actually went of forums like this and gave bad reviews to prevent too many people from playing them. This is just the way I feel mind you as I reliaze a lot of new MMO players have no idea what I'm talking about and therefore they are all gonna love WoW (and now WAR)and those type of games that are gonna be released now. I am an older gamer and as a true MMO fan I have played virtually every MMO that has come down the pipes in the last 15 years or so, so I know what I'm talking about!
    Currently playing Ryzom and so far I'm loving it   http://www.vimeo.com/1725194
    Flame away !!

     

    There was a thread about why people hate WoW...

    image

    "The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

  • WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386

    And this is my reply to it but that thread was so huge I thought id start another

     

  • LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,934
    Originally posted by Wrender


    And this is my reply to it but that thread was so huge I thought id start another
     

    Ah, spamming...

  • AethiosAethios Member Posts: 1,527


    Originally posted by Wrender
    I for one love the depth and complexity of other games that had come before WoW. After WoW games all since then had seemed to lose thier depth and complexity that I so loved. We can all thank WoW for the sudden flux of casual friendly games now that even 2nd graders can enjoy!


    Before WoW, "depth and complexity" was based primarily on how many mobs you were willing to grind for your next level, or which impossible raid boss your guild was planning to attempt next. WoW added accessibility, so all players who play will (assuming they are moderately skilled) be able to reach the same content as the super-hardcore players. If "depth and complexity" means only 1% (or less) of a game's population is allowed to see the new content, then something is seriously wrong. Plus, despite what you may think, it IS possible to be terrible at WoW. There are plenty of players who still have no clue about even the most basic concepts. I mean, if you know the entire game's mechanics inside and out, then good for you, go play EVE or something more complex. If you don't, then you don't really have room to be complaining about WoW being "dumbed down."

    Even ignoring that part of your complaint, WoW didn't FORCE other games to dumb themselves down. There are plenty of people who are more than willing to play games like EVE or EverQuest. The companies copying WoW are just chasing the dollar. If anything, you should be angry at the unwashed masses who throw money at WoW like it's a cheap hooker.

    I'm willing to bet, though, that you already knew these things and wanted to make yet another "WoW is killing the industry" thread (as if we needed another) and see what kind of reaction you can get, which is pretty much the definition of "troll".

  • KroggKrogg Member Posts: 480
    Originally posted by Wrender


    If someone has only played WoW then No he actually has no idea about other games as wow has removed all the complexity and depth of other games and , I admit created a game that is fun to play but I for one love the depth and complexity of other games that had come before WoW. After WoW games all since then had seemed to lose thier depth and complexity that I so loved. We can all thank WoW for the sudden flux of casual friendly games now that even 2nd graders can enjoy! For example take Lineage II  I played it back in BETA and wasnt to thrilled but something has def changed now after 4 years. It is not casual friendly in the least and never was (thank god) And everyone I have met are all so much older and mature than WoW, (there are actually mmo's around that are almost entirely dovoid of whiny little kids)and no they don't have 10 million subscribers.But thanks to WoW im sure developers are gonna continue to develop casual friendly games that require little or no thought . I relize it is all about the money that can be made by millions of subscribers. Most of the games I played before WoW would be ruined if millions of people suddenly decided they wanted to play. Hell I have actually seen a lot of games where thier players actually went of forums like this and gave bad reviews to prevent too many people from playing them. This is just the way I feel mind you as I reliaze a lot of new MMO players have no idea what I'm talking about and therefore they are all gonna love WoW (and now WAR)and those type of games that are gonna be released now. I am an older gamer and as a true MMO fan I have played virtually every MMO that has come down the pipes in the last 15 years or so, so I know what I'm talking about!
    Currently playing Ryzom and so far I'm loving it   http://www.vimeo.com/1725194
    Flame away !!

     

     

    I'm sorry...as a long-time gamer myself I have to disagree with you.  WoW didn't remove anything.  What depth and complexity are you talking about?  Player housing?  Seriously....

    WoW has anything a gamer needs...EQ, EQII, SWG, CoH, EVE, AO, PS, blah blah.. are all just games, nothing deep about them.

    Come into WoW today as someone who's never played before and I'm sure you'd see it's complex enough.  Gems, Enchants, Talents, Buffs, Pots, Food, Inscription.. there are several ways to manipulate your char, so many that most players haven't even used them all fully.

    I'm no fanboi, but I'm not going to hate it just because it has stood on top for so long.  It's just a game.

  • WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386

    Yeah I know all those things . I guess my main gripe as far as myself playing it (I played closed beta and have been playing off and on (with real life friends) up untill last year. (3 of my friends have gotten divorced because of it) I got pissed because of it and actually deleted all my toons on my account twice(lvl 50-60's), is the immature community that sometimes forgets it is just a game!    Sorry if I seemed like a trol with the OPost :)~

     BTW all my ignorant friends are now playing WAR (they finally got tired of WoW) and I am afraid they are doomed to continue the same ride that WoW gave them. So sad! :(                     

  • zymurgeistzymurgeist Member RarePosts: 5,484
    Originally posted by Wrender


    Currently playing Ryzom and so far I'm loving it   http://www.vimeo.com/1725194
    Flame away !!

     

     That pretty much blew away any credibility you hoped to have. I'm glad you love Ryzom. There's a lot to love about it.  Hating WoW is pointless. People play it because they like it. There's nothing wrong with that.

    "We have met the enemy and he is us." ~Pogo Possum. 

  • AethiosAethios Member Posts: 1,527


    Originally posted by Wrender
    I guess my main gripe as far as myself playing it (I played closed beta and have been playing off and on (with real life friends) up untill last year. (3 of my friends have gotten divorced because of it) I got pissed because of it and actually deleted all my toons on my account twice(lvl 50-60's), is the immature community that sometimes forgets it is just a game!


    Well, I can relate with you on that one. I have considered deleting all of my characters and never coming back as well. However, Blizzard has proven (at least to me) their dedication in making the game more fun and accessible, and removing the barriers that block people from playing the game the way they want to play (except PvPers, apparently? o.O) and that's what keeps me playing.

    You can't blame the game for people being retarded, because if you delete your characters and decide to never go back... people are still retarded, and you still have to deal with them every day. The Internet just makes it seem like there are more of them.

    EDIT: With that said, I vote we rename the thread "This is why I love WoW but my misplaced hatred for people makes me post angry things on the forums!" =P

  • PorfatPorfat Member Posts: 364

    Which mainstream fantasy mmorpg game is complex?  

     

  • WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386
    Originally posted by Porfat


    Which mainstream fantasy mmorpg game is complex?  
     



     

    There are no "mainstream" mmorpg's that are anymore. Darkfall is the only light in the tunnel right now. I guess im just gonna have to learn to like eyecandy, *cough* Aion!

  • BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586
    Originally posted by Wrender

    Originally posted by Porfat


    Which mainstream fantasy mmorpg game is complex?  
     



     

    There are no "mainstream" mmorpg's that are anymore. Darkfall is the only light in the tunnel right now. I guess im just gonna have to learn to like eyecandy, *cough* Aion!

     

    There is a light at the end of the tunnel. Its a freight train coming our way very very slowly.

    Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

This discussion has been closed.