Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SW:TOR DISCUSSION

DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

So I decided to make a thread where people can talk about the highly-rumored and debated new Star Wars MMORPG being developed by BioWare.

Since we see a 'KOTOR' thread pop up about twice a week or so, why not have one place to gather and discuss instead of hundreds of little threads.

This thread is for anyone who wants to talk about it, hypothesize or whatever.  Basically to allow a gathering of fans who are hoping with great anticipation that the title is indeed The Old Republic, a Star Wars MMORPG by BioWare :)

If you would like to read up on pretty much all the information about the project, click the link below my sig for a redirect to the rumors section where I have attempted to compile a massive post about everything there is to know regarding BioWare's MMORPG project - including speculative 'circumstantial evidence' which points towards a Star Wars title.

Enjoy and let the duscussion begin :)

PS - I'd appreciate if people would redirect others who post into this thread for the sake of keeping the discussion in ONE place rather than all over the place.  Thank you.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

Comments

• rikiliirikilii Member UncommonPosts: 1,084

I hypothesize that Bioware MIGHT be making a Star Wars MMO.....or not.

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613

People are just hyping it so they have something to hype, enough said.

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062
    Originally posted by paulscott

People are just hyping it so they have something to hype, enough said.

Truer words have never been spoken.  It has absolutely nothing to do with hope for an amazing MMORPG [Star Wars IP+BioWare = EPIC WIN] among the sea of disappointments and clones at all.  You sir have completely summed it up and said enough indeed.

Do the people who actually care and hope to see a great MMORPG come out of this a favor and just pass this thread right over, unless you are excited at the prospect of this game and wish to actually discuss it in a meaningful way.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

• AlindaleAlindale Member Posts: 134

Bioware hired SOE Austin people for the Bioware Austin division that is working on the new MMO.  Not holding my breath till it is released and can see if it is worth it or not.  http://www.bioware.com/bioware_info/press_releases/2006_03_15_Austin/

• susanto1228susanto1228 Member Posts: 203

Well those of you who have played Bioware games since the beginning like I have know that Bioware really cares about their community, unfortunately, ehm  once EA took over Bioware they LOST a lot of fans, including me, I spent about a week or two posting at the Bioware forums one the HOSTILE takeover happened, man they had some long threads overthere, like thousands of replies, anyways.

Since Bioware usually listens to most of what their community wants, I do think It's going to be a great game.  

Here are some of the things that can make it just that more successful..

1. Meaningful quests-Bioware games are known for their dialogue and quirky characters, always enjoyable.

2. Space Travel- gotta have it, a persistent universe where one can jump into HYPer speed and go to the next galaxy far far away :)

3. Your own Droids, not j ust one but as many as you want to have,....with everything being customizable on them, they can repair your items, repair you, security...etc etc.

4. Lots of races and Lots of Classes

5. your own Space station, not like a large one but a decent sized one would be kool.

6.And my Final one, place the MMO in the past like in KOTOR not in the present, because well in my opinion, I find it more exciting in the older times in star wars.

and finally I won't be playing it , just wanted to give my 2 cents, I refuse to make EA richer because I hate them, very much.

• AlindaleAlindale Member Posts: 134

I've been trying to find an article from some of the Bioware peeps who went over to Obsidian.  Before they went there was a comment made about not wanting to work with Lucas again as he was too demanding.  Thought it was hilarious to see EA take over Bioware as this would be one way around that.  If anyone remembers that article and has the link, PM it to me please.

Bioware has made several great games such as my favorite, NWN.  They also gave assistance to the Obsidian peeps with NWN2.  Would be nice to see a SW MMO using the NWN2's engine and with the quest lines Bioware is known for. 

• ArcAngel3ArcAngel3 Member Posts: 2,931

Hey cool thread :).  I'm really excited about the KOTOR online possibility.  I loved the first game.  The second was well...broken and apparently incomplete.  That was a shame.  I truly hope LA doesn't rush Bioware into poor development decisions.  Hopefully they've learned from SWG and KOTOR 2 that this is not a recipe for success.  Apparently they're under new leadership, and time will tell.

I won't be playing KOTOR online until at least 6 months in though, I can tell you that much.  I'm going to wait and see if it functions well, if people enjoy it, and if it appears that the developers are going to stick with the product they advertise.  I got burned in SWG, so I'm going to approach this with cautious optimism.

As for the time period, I think it's fantasitc.  It give you options to be jedi, sith, Mandalorian, and be truly badass without having one alpha class that throws things out of whack.  Also, you can have a ton of jedi around without crucifying the IP.

I found the original KOTOR had very cool quests, a fantastic central story, decision points that affected character development and outcomes, neat side stories, and a lot of opportunities for exploration.  All that and it honestly worked flawlessly for me.  I loved it, and both my kids have now enjoyed it.  Hopefully the MMO will have a lot of KOTOR's strengths along with tools that facilitate player interaction.  That would be a real treat.

• ArmyAJArmyAJ Member Posts: 11

The fact is the everyone who was a fan of the KotOR games, myself included (although 2 had so many plot holes it was ridiculous), has been waiting for a, "KotOR 3."  It has been a long time coming so I say hype it up and hope it's as good as players expectations want it to be.

• purewitzpurewitz Member UncommonPosts: 489

I was just thinking, if this Star Wars MMORPG is going to be called The Old Republic. Maybe we are thinking of the wrong old republic. What if it is really a Clone Wars based MMORPG and not KOTOR.

Lucas loves to turn games into marketing tools for his movies, for example look at the expansions for Star Wars Galaxies. Rage of the Wookiees came out with the theatrical release of Revenge of the Sith and Trials of Obi-wan came out with the Revenge of the Sith DVD release.

Plus since the beginning of the Star Wars franchise their has been a game to go with the current film. I might be wrong, but I think the Atari 2600 Empire Strikes Back game was the first. Well if my theory is correct the marketing push for a new Star Wars MMORPG would be The Clone Wars TV series or even the untitled live-action series set between episodes 3 and 4. 

In my opinion it would be cool if LucasArts made say 3 or 4 different Star Wars MMORPGs at the same time. One set during the KOTOR era, the Galactic Civil Wars era(aka SWG 2), The Clone Wars era, and a post Return of the Jedi - New Republic era. So they could make everyone happy. With all that said though it would cost a lot of money, but if anyone could do it Lucas could.

Well that was simply my 2 cents, you can take it or leave it.

When we get back from where we are going, we will return to where we were. I know people there!

• nellsonnellson Member Posts: 81

No offense,but this thread is just plain silly...Theres very little info on it,so it would be all speculation..And when speculating about a game occurs,boredom is right around the corner....Hell,we arent even sure if it WILL come out....Could be cancelled etc....

Put this thread out of its misery...Nothing to see here folks,move along......

• -exo-exo Member Posts: 564
    Originally posted by nellson

No offense,but this thread is just plain silly...Theres very little info on it,so it would be all speculation..And when speculating about a game occurs,boredom is right around the corner....Hell,we arent even sure if it WILL come out....Could be cancelled etc....

why would yo uwant to crush someones hope? They said warhammer would NEVER turn into an mmo rpg... It could happen. ANYTHING can happen. It's in the developers hands, and in the hands of those whoever own it's ip :)

www.roxstudiodesigns.com

• Howler54Howler54 Member UncommonPosts: 133
    Originally posted by nellson

Well, since the only thing we can do right now is to Speculate, that is what we have to do mate.

I'd rather speculate about this game with some fellow fans than not talking about it at all :)

But if  you'r not interested, then please move along :)

• ScalebaneScalebane Member UncommonPosts: 1,883

Did anyone officially say it was a StarWars mmo?  i mean i know we can say "what else could it possibly be?" but really i won't think its true till Bioware or Lucas states it.  So i won't hype anything till they say, i mean if it is something else people are gonna be disappointed bad heh.

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

Quote.

“We’ve got two of the most compelling MMOs in the industry in development,” said Riccitiello.

“The first title, based on the Warhammer property, will launch soon.

“And the one that people are dying for us to talk to them about - in partnership with Lucas, coming out of BioWare, which is, I think, quite possibly the most anticipated game, full stop, for the industry at the point when we get closer to telling you about it.”

He was then asked if the game was Knights of the old Republic and his response was a resounding, “Yes.”

End quote.

EA boss John Riccitiello confirmed this at the E3 2008.

So it's definetely under development :)

• ScalebaneScalebane Member UncommonPosts: 1,883

Ah cool, wonder why if he said it bioware or lucas just don't announce it...still cool though, wonder what style of mmo it will follow

(i just wish bioware and mythic wouldn't have sold out to EA, i hate the company and its hard to get me to try anygame that has their name on it...)

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

Originally posted by Scalebane

Ah cool, wonder why if he said it bioware or lucas just don't announce it...still cool though, wonder what style of mmo it will follow

(i just wish bioware and mythic wouldn't have sold out to EA, i hate the company and its hard to get me to try anygame that has their name on it...)

Trust me mate you're not the only one who wishes that but don't blame BioWare, as it was their parent company which actually sold them.  BioWare employees pretty much just find out about it and  ... 'well, gotta keep getting paid, doing what I love...' and keep on moving as they try to keep everything 'business as usual'.

To the dude who said this thread is silly - I totally understand where that view comes from but considering we get a new KOTOR thread pop up like once a week minimum, why not have a thread for the fans/those interested gather and just discuss the possibilities, concerns, ideas etc.

Anyone know of the KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC comic book series? It's actually quite cool.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_Knights_of_the_Old_Republic_(comics)

I'd suggest you check it out if you're at all a comic book/Star Wars fan.  It really offers a glimpse at all the awesome possibilities and shows off that there's a lot more to the Star Wars universe than just Jedi and Dark Jedi/Sith.

Nice man, I knew there were comics but I havn't read any of them, think I'm gonna get hold of some though :)

Thanks for the tip!

• singsofdeathsingsofdeath Member UncommonPosts: 1,812
    Originally posted by Scalebane

Knowing BioWare, it will be extremely story-driven (which I love) and another sort of given is that your choices will have an impact on your character in some way. I have yet to play a BioWare game where your choices did not impact your character somehow. If they can pull off that kind of storytelling in an MMO without limiting the gameplay too much, I'll be happy.

It will most likely not be a sandbox. Sorry for all those hoping for something like that, but BioWare is not the company I would expect a sandbox from.

Regardless of their new parent company, BioWare is one of the last companies I am willing to place trust in, since they have never to this date, disappointed me with their games. Here's to hoping. XD

Here is everything BioWare needs to make the OLD REPUBLIC set Star Wars MMORPG.

As most of you probably already know, KOTOR was a game which used the Wizards of the Coast D20 system for the game play. Well, why fix what isn’t broken?

The KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC campaign setting is pretty much a bible for everything that this MMORPG could and should have. Here are two scans – the first explains the setting, the second is of all the categories of things BioWare can pull from and build upon [and I hope that they are].

BTW, if you’re a fan of paper/pencil role playing I’d strongly recommend you pick the book up. :)

About the Setting [Click to Enlarge]

Some things you could expect...

Source: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=starwars/article/KOTORguide

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

KOTOR MMO Unveiled This October?

Sources claim Bioware will finally say

Apparently, the long-rumored BioWare MMO based on the Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic franchise will finally be announced by the end of the month, according to sources close to CVG.

We’ve been hearing rumors of a possible KOTOR MMO for the past two years now and fans of the series didn’t knew if they had to beleive or not. Only this time, the sources claim the announcement is for real.

Knights of the Old Republic has been one of the most successful Star Wars franchises of recent times, with BioWare’s original and Obsidian’s follow up both topping the Xbox and PC charts when they were released. The MMO would be developed by Bioware Austin.

www.gamefocus.ca/

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Originally posted by tillamook

KOTOR MMO Unveiled This October?

Sources claim Bioware will finally say

Apparently, the long-rumored BioWare MMO based on the Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic franchise will finally be announced by the end of the month, according to sources close to CVG.
    We’ve been hearing rumors of a possible KOTOR MMO for the past two years now and fans of the series didn’t knew if they had to beleive or not. Only this time, the sources claim the announcement is for real.
    Knights of the Old Republic has been one of the most successful Star Wars franchises of recent times, with BioWare’s original and Obsidian’s follow up both topping the Xbox and PC charts when they were released. The MMO would be developed by Bioware Austin.
    www.gamefocus.ca/

Oh god. This October will be torture.  

• purewitzpurewitz Member UncommonPosts: 489

Just read this over at TheForce.net:

CVG is reporting that LucasArts will be unveiling their KOTOR MMO title within the next 30 day! Click here for the full report and keep your fingers crossed.

When we get back from where we are going, we will return to where we were. I know people there!

• RecantRecant Member UncommonPosts: 1,586

The original KOTOR was one of the finest moments in gaming history.  Gameplay and storyline perfectly interwoven.   Perhaps it was hormones but I really had a thing for Bastila (or whatever her name was).  Ahem.

How could an MMORPG possibly hope to do this series justice, especially after the nightmare I had with the unplayable and unfinished sequel?

Still waiting for your Holy Grail MMORPG? Interesting...

Originally posted by Recant

The original KOTOR was one of the finest moments in gaming history.  Gameplay and storyline perfectly interwoven.   Perhaps it was hormones but I really had a thing for Bastila (or whatever her name was).  Ahem.
    How could an MMORPG possibly hope to do this series justice, especially after the nightmare I had with the unplayable and unfinished sequel?

1) The sequel was not made by BioWare.

2) For me personally, BioWare is one of the few companies left who deserve some trust and faith. They have not yet let me down with their games so far, so I will give them the chance to prove themselves in the MMO Sector, hoping they bring their unique touch of Storytelling to the genre as well as the Actions-Matter approach.

But I'll grant you this, it will be a difficult job.

• jawapetjawapet Member Posts: 79

I have known about the existence of this game for over a year now, and all I can say is:

OMG YES!!!!!!! <girlish screams> YYYYYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

<coughs>

Some sources from inside bioware suggest that the game client itself has been operational for about 6 months now and that BioWare Employees have been enjoying the pre-alpha stages of the game.  Basicly they have been waiting on the end of the SOE/LucasArts contract before moving forward any further or making official announcements.  So with that knowledge two things 1. please do not use any part of WAR in the game... 2. OMG YES!!!!!!!! <more girlish screams>

As for it being in MMO form.  The game itself with the Jedi Civil War lends to being the perfect point to pick up an MMO.  The Jedi need numbers to rebuild thus will recruit individuals who are older, the galaxy is at its own throat with various feudal divisions.  The sith are reorganizing as well and Revan went chasing after the 'True Sith' whatever that means.  The game will probably pick up on the extremely openended ending from KotOR 2 (thank you Obsidian <sarcasm>).