Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars Galaxies: Five Year Re-Review

Comments

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by ab29x

WTG staff.   You had to re-review SWG and give all the "vets" a reason to repeat their sorry years old whiney stories for the millionth time over. 
    While you're at it, why not bring back Norris jokes.   Listening/reading to them isn't like nails on a chalkboard or anything either.
    If I had one of those ASCII pictures of Picard with his head in his hand I'd put it here.

Troll much?  If you took the time to actually read, many people have just pointed out the differences and problems that still remain with the game.  Not  a bad game, just not even close to what it once was.  Even Mythic realized that they had done some bad things to DAoC and while too late, they have addressed those mistakes with classic servers.

If they only did one thing, it would be to add in item decay back into the game.  It is a darn good crafting system that is made inconsequential by the lack of that.

• efefiaefefia Member Posts: 631

I like how the original score at the time this was posted was "mediocre", however it now reads "acceptable"..... yep, completely impartial, was that before or after the call from Smed though?

...The spread of secondary and latterly of tertiary education has created a large population of people, often with well developed literary and scholarly tastes, who have been educated far beyond their capacity to undertake analytical thought.

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278
    Originally posted by efefia

I like how the original score at the time this was posted was "mediocre", however it now reads "acceptable"..... yep, completely impartial, was that before or after the call from Smed though?

Good catch Efefia! The 'Mediocre' score caught my eye as admittedly, it was the first thing I looked for (the final score). This change is just the kind of thing I was expecting from MMORPG.com (pocket greasing from SOE), and I was sitting here thinking how wrong I was to judge this site so harshly before you went and changed your review's final word.

The difference between Mediocre and Acceptable is vast.

MMORPG.com, you should be ashamed of yourselves!

• rsrestonrsreston Member UncommonPosts: 346

Interesting review which left some things out:

Player cities: placing your house in a player city is good because you'll be near a shuttle - but that's pretty much it (and nowadays you even have the Rattletrap ITV to make things easier). No more Player city raiding, no need for a city militia. And like someone said, these cities are a mess - "As you can't level the ground and there are many objects that doesn't let you to build on top of them. No roads, no streets, no grass, no walls, no fences... so 99% of the cities looks like a messy gathering of non matching structures."

The same person also said "[The] Space system [is] worse than X-wing" "Bad UI, poor flight dynamics, low ship energy management." It's beautiful alright but it's not that challenging, like good old Tie Fighter.

No PVP? Restuss may be dull but defending Empire/Alliance ground outposts is fun and if you flag your aligned character, you can target and be target of oposite faction PCs and NPCs. Besides, it's the only mmog where you can be a Bounty Hunter, hunting individuals accross many worlds, disguising yourself, surprising them...

The trade system may be severely affected by loot drops but the best weaponry and armor in the game can only be made by traders.

One problem with the game is the end of middle lvl content. If you're a lowbie you've got the first part of the Legacy quest, which is fun but soon you'll find yourself wanting for more - but there's nothing. Only when you reach lvl 90 you can join your friends for Heroics. Meatlumps themepark has added more to the lvling experience but it's still too little.

But highlighting some points:

Role-play int the RP servers is really a beautiful thing to see.

Player community is awesome! Better than most other games outthere.

Graphics are great.

Voice chat has a higher-than-averange quality.

For the role-player interested in sci-fi/Star Wars, it's a great game. For the casual gamer interested in something different, the Entertainer can be very interesting. For the PVPer it may be interesting (specially if you roll a Bounty Hunter, it's gonna be a unique experience). But for those looking for regular PVE, if you're not a fan of SW, look somewhere else.

• SuvrocSuvroc Member Posts: 2,383
    Originally posted by Bob_Blawblaw

Good catch Efefia! The 'Mediocre' score caught my eye as admittedly, it was the first thing I looked for (the final score). This change is just the kind of thing I was expecting from MMORPG.com (pocket greasing from SOE), and I was sitting here thinking how wrong I was to judge this site so harshly before you went and changed your review's final word.

Yeah!

I saw it say mediocre too. That's just shameful in my opinion! I agreed that it was a fair review based on that score but now I'm just disgusted at this turn of events.

• airborne519airborne519 Member Posts: 542

I think what he should have said is it has been constantly devolving, if it was evolving, then people would be flocking to play it.  Complex crafting...?? I know he can't be talking about it's current state... trust me, I went back and tried it.. it gives the illusion that it is still complex.. but when you get past the smoke and mirrors, it's nothing close to its former self.  That's my issue with this review.  Overall not a bad assessment.

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

hahaha!! Nice job, MMORPG.com. Way to show your SOE masters who's boss.

This is of course, why the OTHER SWG can't even be discussed here, even though Lucas Arts has aided and approved of it, SOE might get pissed and stop the cash flow.

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

good review,  you did however seem to skip over some of the problems with the game and i felt that you did not really look into the social and crafting aspect of the game (both of which are either dead or unprofitable, or both).  as for the grind, you hit that nail on the head and that (along with poor GM'ing) leads to all those AFK grinders out there (i respect the Cantina grinders as their profession is somewhat hard to level in a normal way but combat afk grinding is not acceptable).

one thing you also missed was the amazing macro system that (unlike many MMO's) actually allowed you to semi-automate so many things.  i dont think i could have ever done some of my more intense crafting sessions without my macro

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• ab29xab29x Member Posts: 364
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Originally posted by ab29x

WTG staff.   You had to re-review SWG and give all the "vets" a reason to repeat their sorry years old whiney stories for the millionth time over. 
    While you're at it, why not bring back Norris jokes.   Listening/reading to them isn't like nails on a chalkboard or anything either.
    If I had one of those ASCII pictures of Picard with his head in his hand I'd put it here.

Troll much?  If you took the time to actually read, many people have just pointed out the differences and problems that still remain with the game.  Not  a bad game, just not even close to what it once was.  Even Mythic realized that they had done some bad things to DAoC and while too late, they have addressed those mistakes with classic servers.

If they only did one thing, it would be to add in item decay back into the game.  It is a darn good crafting system that is made inconsequential by the lack of that.

Totally over used term and doesn't apply.  Go take a look at the SWG vet forums, look at post histories.  Most everything here and there will always been the same stuff said a zillion times.  Just like every post I was supposed to take the time to read that according to you, didnt happen.

I agree whole heartedly that it was a much better game way back when.   I don't feel the need to be so bothered about it that it I repeat myself like a broken record and act like it scarred me for life.

It is what it is.

I

• dalevi1dalevi1 Member Posts: 829

Very fair review. The game will never regain the delicate balance it had between systems that was thrown out with the bath water a couple of years ago. The one thing that remains true, is there are *still* some very unique things about SWG. The sad thing is, they are of no use to the whole anymore.

Played (more than a month): SWG, Second Life, Tabula Rasa, Lineage 2, Everquest 2, EvE, MxO, Ryzom.

Tried: WoW, Shadowbane, Anarchy Online, Everquest, WWII Online, Planetside

Beta: Lotro, Tabula Rasa, WAR.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

Only one thing comes to mind when I think of SWG these days.

"Uh, we had a slight game malfunction, but uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?"

A fresh approach is an understatement. The game is absolutely a different game in every way possible except the character names. On top of all they have changed, the silly addition of card games is possibly the most significant sign that the target audience of yesterday is not the same they are currently targeting. Honestly this would have rejected by the serous players or SWG from the earlier days in the game and passed off as completely silly.

This is why I think their target audience is younger kids, no offense to those who love it but it should be obvious to everyone. Lucas Arts chose a different target audience for their game as they have with all their games. The more they add ridiculous canon breaking stuff they add, the clearer it becomes for people who left ages ago. I’m not bitter about anything, I guess I really don’t care, I do find it interesting to some extent. It’s like watching monkeys flinging poo behind a glass window at the zoo, its gross, only they could enjoy it , but its fascinating because you know you are safe behind the glass window where you stand no chance of getting hit by it. All you can do is laugh and go ewwwwww!!!! 

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• efefiaefefia Member Posts: 631

I think one of the staff here really needs to address why the review score was "amended", I mean a lot of people rely on this site for impartial reviews and recommendations. As pointed out previously there's a huge difference between "Mediocre" and "Acceptable". Personally I'd like to know that when I read a review here for a game I may be thinking of trying out the reviewer is able to do his job and give a fair opinion, if there's other factors swaying review scores this entire site is very much pointless.

...The spread of secondary and latterly of tertiary education has created a large population of people, often with well developed literary and scholarly tastes, who have been educated far beyond their capacity to undertake analytical thought.

• FishermageFishermage Member Posts: 7,562

A reasonable and fair review. Impressive. Most impressive.

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

Unless i drank too much, but i swear this morning review result  was :

6.5 : Mediocre

Now it's

6.5 : Acceptable

• FishermageFishermage Member Posts: 7,562
    Originally posted by Suvroc

Originally posted by Bob_Blawblaw

Yeah!

I saw it say mediocre too. That's just shameful in my opinion! I agreed that it was a fair review based on that score but now I'm just disgusted at this turn of events.

ooooo they changed the rating? Obviously after SOE saw and betched. For shame, MMORPG.

• StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696
    Originally posted by Aguitha

Now it's

We have been working some kinks out of our new review system (you may have noticed that this is the first review of its kind).

The score of 6.5 was given to us by the reviewer. The Mediocre / acceptable / etc word category is tied directly to the score. The score itself did not change in any way.

6.5 designates an "acceptable" rating. I would like to say again that the rating itself was not changed. We have now corrected the biug that was causing all scores entered to read "mediocre".

My apologies for the mix-up.

Cheers,
    Jon Wood
    Managing Editor
    MMORPG.com

• KzinKillerKzinKiller Member Posts: 625

Fair enough review.

For a new player:  flawed beyond belief after so much time post-release.

For a veteran that bought the original game because of its design promise:  dead and gone, it'll never be what they sold you and what it so easily could have been with proper management.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Originally posted by Stradden

Now it's

We have been working some kinks out of our new review system (you may have noticed that this is the first review of its kind).

The score of 6.5 was given to us by the reviewer. The Mediocre / acceptable / etc word category is tied directly to the score. The score itself did not change in any way.

6.5 designates an "acceptable" rating. I would like to say again that the rating itself was not changed. We have now corrected the biug that was causing all scores entered to read "mediocre".

To me, a 6.5 would be "acceptable".  Anything under a 6 would be mediocre or worse.  Your rating system seems fair and I don't think there was any sort of conspiracy involved.  Still, when it comes to swg or anything regarding soe, you guys would be well served to make sure all your i's are dotted and t's crossed for posting anything.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• wlemondswlemonds Member Posts: 1

Coincidence there is a "re-review"="marketing ploy" for Galaxies the same week that Clone Wars animated TV series premieres on the Cartoon Network?

Grab your Droids cereal, watch the new show and play Galaxies!

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Originally posted by wlemonds

Coincidence there is a "re-review"="marketing ploy" for Galaxies the same week that Clone Wars animated TV series premieres on the Cartoon Network?
    Grab your Droids cereal, watch the new show and play Galaxies!

lmfao xD.... We're all in, trouble again!

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Very good writeup, or at least good in the fact that I agree with most of it.  Especially regarding the environment, as anyone who stood on the balcony of their own house and heard Luke's theme when the sun set, stars... AND star destroyers in the night sky... just a little detail that was great and is still there, and a detail that I haven't seen matched in any MMO since.

Many of the things that made it a sandbox game were cut with the NGE, but what's worse, is that many of the things that remained were made pointless.  So by all practical measures, it's a sandbox ONLY in the manner that there are 9x9 km's worth of pointlessness on each planet.  Yes, the droid escape pod is there, so if you're a tourist, go for it.  But the point in surveying for the best mineral output on the planet that gave the highest quality specs of that mineral, and making that into stuff to sell... all gone.

And the absolute biggest reason I'm no longer playing the game, the avatar interaction.  Your character won't even climb stairs from the side.  You can't jump, or rather, the jump is just a superficial animation, and offers no additional movement options.  Character movement and physics are just so horribly outdated, even dungeon runners puts SWG to shame in this category.

And lastly, the much neglected Jump to Lightspeed.  It had promise.  As the author mentioned the POB ships, which were the magic of JTL, you could even have a guy who could run around the hull of the ship fixing damaged subsystems with repair packs.  This was as close to star wars as SWG ever got.  But JTL was broken, bugged and left that way. Unfortunately, the POB ship would crash you to starport for no reason, and hitting ANYTHING with the turrets was nigh impossible, especially compared to flying your own ship.  Nonetheless, THIS COULD HAVE BEEN BIG.

I don't blame the current development team any, if at all.  By the time they got ahold of things, SWG was so far behind other games(not just WOW); it needs a whole new physics engine for the avatars, interaction, targeting... but it's so patchworked now, you can count on changes like that to work perfectly on Correllia, and blow up on Kashyyk.  Just not a whole lot of options.

In case you were bored enough to wonder, no, I'm NOT one of those PRE-CU fanatics.  While I know they had to justify their existence, one of the least palatable issues I had with the original version of this game was that a character could get knocked flat by a horde of womprats, go and get doctor buffs, and take out a Rancor.  Just flat out silly.  The game needed some things to change.  CU had its troubles, but it would have been workable.  But NGE was a blustertruck.

• fordzillafordzilla Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 100

what is this that stands before me?

figure in black with eyes of fire.....

turn round quick and start to run............

find out i'm the chosen one............

OH PLEASE GOD HELP ME

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183
    Originally posted by Stradden

Now it's

suuuuuuuuuuuuuure.

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980
    Originally posted by tillamook

Only one thing comes to mind when I think of SWG these days.
    "Uh, we had a slight game malfunction, but uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?"

Thank you for the laugh.

Note : indeed so true and very appropriate.

• Prime8Prime8 Member CommonPosts: 108

LOL I thought this was a serious review untill I read the bit about advertising SWG as , and I quote "the thinking man's game" ha haha hahahahahah cough cough maybe a long time ago in a game far far away but not anymore .

Cheers