Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

YES!! House Congressman Stand up for us.

By JULIE HIRSCHFELD DAVIS, Associated Press Writer

2 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - The House on Monday defeated a $700 billion emergency rescue package, ignoring urgent pleas from President Bush and bipartisan congressional leaders to quickly bail out the staggering financial industry.

Stocks plummeted on Wall Street even before the 228-205 vote to reject the bill was announced on the House floor.

When the critical vote was tallied, too few members of the House were willing to support the unpopular measure with elections just five weeks away. Ample no votes came from both the Democratic and Republican sides of the aisle.

Bush and a host of leading congressional figures had implored the lawmakers to pass the legislation despite howls of protest from their constituents back home.

The vote had been preceded by unusually aggressive White House lobbying, and spokesman Tony Fratto said that Bush had used a "call list" of people he wanted to persuade to vote yes as late as just a short time before the vote.

Lawmakers shouted news of the plummeting Dow Jones average as lawmakers crowded on the House floor during the drawn-out and tense call of the roll, which dragged on for roughly 40 minutes as leaders on both sides scrambled to corral enough of their rank-and-file members to support the deeply unpopular measure.

They found only two.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

WASHINGTON (AP) — The House on Monday defeated a $700 billion emergency rescue package, ignoring urgent pleas from President Bush and bipartisan congressional leaders to quickly bail out the staggering financial industry.

Stocks plummeting on Wall Street even before the 228-205 vote to reject the bill was announced on the House floor.

When the critical vote was tallied, too few members of the House were willing to support the unpopular measure with elections just five weeks away. Ample no votes came from both the Democratic and Republican sides of the aisle.

Bush and a host of leading congressional figures had implored the lawmakers to pass the legislation despite howls of protest from their constituents back home.

Currently playing:
LOTRO & WoW (not much WoW though because Mines of Moria rocks!!!!)

Looking Foward too:
Bioware games (Dragon Age & Star Wars The Old Republic)

Comments

• LibertasplzLibertasplz Member Posts: 221

Interesting what the fallout will be from this. 

• SioBabbleSioBabble Member Posts: 2,803

Interesting that Boner is blaming Pelosi's "partisan" speech for the defeat of the bill.

No Republican would DARE to vote against the wishes of Boner!

CH, Jedi, Commando, Smuggler, BH, Scout, Doctor, Chef, BE...yeah, lots of SWG time invested.

Once a denizen of Ahazi

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359
    Originally posted by SioBabble

Interesting that Boner is blaming Pelosi's "partisan" speech for the defeat of the bill.
    No Republican would DARE to vote against the wishes of Boner!

• pyrofreakpyrofreak Member UncommonPosts: 1,481

I really wish I could get house.gov to load so I could find out who voted what.

Now with 57.3% more flames!

• GorairGorair Member Posts: 959

i dont know if they actually stood up for us , or just realized that voting "YES" when 8 out of 10 americans said "no way in hell" means they dont get to sit in congress anymore come next election.

But we are about to elect the guy who is trying to take some credit for helping write this flop anyway go figure.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402
    Originally posted by Gorair

i dont know if they actually stood up for us , or just realized that voting "YES" when 8 out of 10 americans said "no way in hell" means they dont get to sit in congress anymore come next election.
    But we are about to elect the guy who is trying to take some credit for helping write this flop anyway go figure.

I dont get it.. If congress voted the way people wanted them to vote, doesnt that mean they stood up for the people anyway you try to hash it?

McCain is for coorperate america, of course he is in favor of a bail that gives them a ridiculous amont of non disputeable tax payer dollars.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• devilisciousdeviliscious Member UncommonPosts: 4,359
    Originally posted by DeserttFoxx

I dont get it.. If congress voted the way people wanted them to vote, doesnt that mean they stood up for the people anyway you try to hash it?
     McCain is for coorperate america, of course he is in favor of a bail that gives them a ridiculous amont of non disputeable tax payer dollars.

Yea but Obama takes a bigger hit with ACORN if this doesn't pass. Obama actually has more to lose here, and would be directly affected by the fallout if the people get their way and prosectute the wrong doers here. This would include prosecution of Biden as well.

Originally posted by deviliscious

Yea but Obama takes a bigger hit with ACORN if this doesn't pass.

Soo, either way you slice it, it is always good for McCain is what you are saying....

How does that make any sense.

And "wrong doers"? Please dont talk like bush.

On a side note, i have to say i hate reading your posts.. whats with the red font?

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

Soo, either way you slice it, it is always good for McCain is what you are saying....

Basically if we prosecute everyone responsible for this everyone would fall down around him, but he might be the only one  left lol. Rick Davis, Obama, Biden, all of them would be taken down with this lol.

• BaronJuJuBaronJuJu Member UncommonPosts: 1,832
    Originally posted by pyrofreak

Here you go Pyro

"If we don't attack them, they will attack us first. So we'd better retaliate before they have a chance to strike"

Basically if we prosecute everyone responsible for this everyone would fall down around him, but he might be the only one  left lol. Rick Davis, Obama, Biden, all of them would be taken down with this lol.

Well everyone is too blame, i personally think bush shouldve been impeached years ago, i also believe bush should be going from the white house to club fed.

All of my reps voted nay

Well everyone is too blame, i personally think bush shouldve been impeached years ago, i also believe bush should be going from the white house to club fed.

Democrat Pelosi stopped that from happening.  She is responisible for protecting Bush.

Democrat Pelosi stopped that from happening.  She is responisible for protecting Bush.

From what i seen, Pelosi was against the bill, bush was for it, how did she protect bush. from her speach, she was pretty clear about the fact that she was fed up with bush.

www.youtube.com/watch

Nancy Pelosi

Speaker of the United States House of Representatives

Financial status

The Pelosi family has a net worth of over US$25 million, primarily from investments. In addition to their large portfolio of jointly owned San Francisco Bay Area real estate, she also has millions of dollars in stock from publicly traded companies such as Microsoft, Amazon.com and AT&T. In 2003, the Pelosi family sold their eight-acre (three hectare) Rutherford vineyard. Pelosi continues to be among the richest members of Congress.[9]

Blocking of impeachment proceedings against Bush:

In the wake of George W. Bush's reelection in 2004, several leading House Democrats believed that Democrats should pursue impeachment proceedings against the president. They asserted that Bush had misled Congress about weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, and had violated the civil liberties of Americans by authorizing wiretaps without a warrant.

In May 2006, with an eye on the upcoming Congressional elections ? which offered the possibility of Democrats taking back control of the House for the first time since 1994 ? Pelosi told colleagues that, while the Democrats would conduct vigorous oversight of Bush administration policy, an impeachment investigation was "off the table." (A week earlier, she had told the Washington Post that, although Democrats would not set out to impeach the president, "you never know where" investigations might lead.)[13]

Since becoming Speaker of the House in January 2007, Pelosi has held firm against impeachment, notwithstanding strong support for that course of action among constituents in her home district. In early July 2007, antiwar activist Cindy Sheehan announced that unless Pelosi moved to impeach Bush by July 23, Sheehan would run against Pelosi as an independent candidate in the 2008 election.[14]

On July 10, 2008, Pelosi said of Dennis Kucinich's article of impeachment against President George W. Bush, introduced that day, "This is a Judiciary Committee matter, and I believe we will see some attention being paid to it by the Judiciary Committee. Not necessarily taking up the Articles of Impeachment because that would have to be approved on the floor, but to have some hearings on the subject. My expectation is that there will be some review of that in the Committee."[15] On July 31, 2008, she told Time, "You can't talk about impeachment unless you have the facts, and you can't have the facts unless you have cooperation from the Administration." [16]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nancy_Pelosi

She needed Bush there to distract from the bad stuff she was doing lol. Everyone needs a scapegoat.

Nancy Pelosi

Speaker of the United States House of Representatives
    Financial status

The Pelosi family has a net worth of over US$25 million, primarily from investments. In addition to their large portfolio of jointly owned San Francisco Bay Area real estate, she also has millions of dollars in stock from publicly traded companies such as Microsoft, Amazon.com and AT&T. In 2003, the Pelosi family sold their eight-acre (three hectare) Rutherford vineyard. Pelosi continues to be among the richest members of Congress.[9]
    Blocking of impeachment proceedings against Bush:
    In the wake of George W. Bush's reelection in 2004, several leading House Democrats believed that Democrats should pursue impeachment proceedings against the president. They asserted that Bush had misled Congress about weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, and had violated the civil liberties of Americans by authorizing wiretaps without a warrant.
    In May 2006, with an eye on the upcoming Congressional elections ? which offered the possibility of Democrats taking back control of the House for the first time since 1994 ? Pelosi told colleagues that, while the Democrats would conduct vigorous oversight of Bush administration policy, an impeachment investigation was "off the table." (A week earlier, she had told the Washington Post that, although Democrats would not set out to impeach the president, "you never know where" investigations might lead.)[13]
    Since becoming Speaker of the House in January 2007, Pelosi has held firm against impeachment, notwithstanding strong support for that course of action among constituents in her home district. In early July 2007, antiwar activist Cindy Sheehan announced that unless Pelosi moved to impeach Bush by July 23, Sheehan would run against Pelosi as an independent candidate in the 2008 election.[14]
    On July 10, 2008, Pelosi said of Dennis Kucinich's article of impeachment against President George W. Bush, introduced that day, "This is a Judiciary Committee matter, and I believe we will see some attention being paid to it by the Judiciary Committee. Not necessarily taking up the Articles of Impeachment because that would have to be approved on the floor, but to have some hearings on the subject. My expectation is that there will be some review of that in the Committee."[15] On July 31, 2008, she told Time, "You can't talk about impeachment unless you have the facts, and you can't have the facts unless you have cooperation from the Administration." [16]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nancy_Pelosi

Wikipedia... vs  www.youtube.com/watch

Kind of sad when the president can be used as a distraction.... Its not hard to be turned into a scapegoat when you make it so easy.

This bill was horrendeous just by hearing tidbits of it, its even worst when you hear about it in detail.

I really believe the lumping of democrats and republicans into their appropriate groups needs to be stopped. Blame needs to be allocated but this shit throwing contest needs to end. the people need to get together and just opt to remove all guilty parties from office, democrat and republican.

And yes people will say that includes Obama, but i am not blindly faithful like that, if It can be proven that Obama is guilty of being responsible for this crisis then he should be punished as well, Same goes for McCain, and everyone else in congress that allowed these bills to impact the economy the way it has in the last few years. I sure they are all guilty of something.

• FishermageFishermage Member Posts: 7,562

All of my reps voted nay

My Jerk voted Aye...down with Chris Murphy...Cappiello 08!

(Plus, my Senators are Dastardly Dodd, one of the men behind the curtain in this -- and the Gamer's best friend, Leiberman).

Call him up and let him know, I called all of mine lol. You can email them too @:

www.congress.org/congressorg/officials/congress/

Kind of sad when the president can be used as a distraction.... Its not hard to be turned into a scapegoat when you make it so easy.

This bill was horrendeous just by hearing tidbits of it, its even worst when you hear about it in detail.

It is pretty simple. She lies. 

Pelosi, Kerry May Share Investor Pain as AIG Stakes Evaporate  

Sept. 19 (Bloomberg) -- The market storm that brought down Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc., American International Group Inc. and other pillars of U.S. finance may have also blown holes in the portfolios of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, Senator John Kerry and more than 50 other members of Congress.

Pelosi, in her most recent financial disclosure form, reported that her husband owned between $250,000 and $500,000 of stock in AIG, which ceded majority control to the U.S. government this week in exchange for $85 billion of loans.

Kerry, the 2004 Democratic presidential nominee, disclosed that his wife, Teresa Heinz Kerry, had more than $2 million of AIG stock at the end of 2007, when shares were worth $58.30. AIG has fallen 85 percent this week to close yesterday at $2.69. The lawmakers' aides didn't respond to calls seeking comment.

Altogether, 56 senators and representatives had stakes in AIG, Lehman, Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, Bear Stearns Cos. or IndyMac Bancorp Inc. -- some of the biggest casualties of the market bloodbath -- according to the Center for Responsive Politics. The most recent annual disclosure filings list investments as of Dec. 31, 2007, and reveal the size of holdings only within a range of values. Lawmakers may have sold shares since then.

``Lawmakers, like everyone else in America who has any kind of retirement portfolio or stock holdings, are going to be suffering,'' said Gary Kalman, a lobbyist for the Boston-based U.S. Public Interest Research Group, a consumer-advocacy organization. ``This is a serious issue. We need to have a serious response.''

Market Plunges

The Standard & Poor's 500 Index plunged 7.6 percent during the first three days of this week on news that Lehman and Merrill Lynch & Co. -- which survived two world wars and the Great Depression -- were finished as independent investment banks.

Lehman filed history's biggest bankruptcy case on Sept. 15 and Merrill sold itself to Bank of America Corp. Even after rallying yesterday, the S&P 500 is down almost 25 percent from its October 2007 peak.

Lehman shares, which traded for as much as $67.73 last November, closed yesterday at 5 cents. Merrill's shareholders are in better shape. To avoid Lehman's fate, Merrill agreed to be acquired in a stock-swap worth $26.28 per share at yesterday's closing prices. In better days, Merrill soared to as much as $98.68 in January 2007.

Bear Stearns was the first Wall Street titan to fall as home-loan defaults battered the market for mortgage-backed securities and started a chain reaction that devastated credit markets. JPMorgan Chase & Co. bought Bear Stearns in March.

Government Takeover

Earlier this month, the government took control of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, which together accounted for almost half of the U.S. home-loan market. Fannie Mae shares had already plummeted more than 80 percent this year, to $7.04 from $39.98, before the government's Sept. 7 takeover was announced. Shares dropped to 73 cents when trading resumed the next day. Freddie Mac fell to 88 cents, after starting the year at $34.07.

Representative Robin Hayes, a South Carolina Republican, had Congress's biggest AIG stake, according to the Washington-based Center for Responsive Politics. Hayes's AIG stock was worth between $2.8 million and $11.5 million.

John McCain, the Republican presidential nominee, avoided potential losses. Because of the Arizona senator's run for the White House, his wife, Cindy, last year liquidated a blind trust that had contained stock in AIG, Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac and Lehman. The amounts of stock she had owned weren't disclosed.

Representative Jane Harman, a California Democrat, owned between $50,000 and $100,000 of Lehman shares, according to her disclosure form. Calls to offices of Hayes and Harman weren't returned.

Pasadena, California-based IndyMac's bank was seized by U.S. regulators in July, in the third-biggest U.S. bank failure. IndyMac stock closed yesterday at 6 cents, after trading earlier this year for as much as $11.32. 

news.yahoo.com/s//bloomberg/20080919/pl_bloomberg/asetgbxg0c0s

She has her rear on the line here as well. McCain would have .. if he had stayed in this with them, but he did not want any part of their misdealings and got out before he got stuck in their mess. He didn;t want any part of their "evil plans" lol

• pyrofreakpyrofreak Member UncommonPosts: 1,481
    Originally posted by BaronJuJu

Here you go Pyro

Thanks a lot. Chris Carney actually voted no, I'm rather impressed. I sent him a rather critical email about it like a week ago and never got a response.

Now with 57.3% more flames!

• gnomexxxgnomexxx Member Posts: 2,920
    Originally posted by Fishermage

All of my reps voted nay

(Plus, my Senators are Dastardly Dodd, one of the men behind the curtain in this -- and the Gamer's best friend, Leiberman).

I hope you pay him in kind come election time.  Don't be lazy and let him know what a jerk he was.

These people need to know that this big government b.s. has to come to an end.  

===============================

Originally posted by BaronJuJu

Here you go Pyro

Thanks a lot. Chris Carney actually voted no, I'm rather impressed. I sent him a rather critical email about it like a week ago and never got a response.

Yeah Chris Murphy already knows to ignore my e-mails. I can't tell you how many times Senator Dodd has respectfully disagreed with me LOL. At least he has the stones to write back.

It is pretty simple. She lies. 

Pelosi, Kerry May Share Investor Pain as AIG Stakes Evaporate

news.yahoo.com/s//bloomberg/20080919/pl_bloomberg/asetgbxg0c0s

She has her rear on the line here as well. McCain would have .. if he had stayed in this with them, but he did not want any part of their misdealings and got out before he got stuck in their mess. He didn;t want any part of their "evil plans" lol

Sept. 19 (Bloomberg) -- The market storm that brought down Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc., American International Group Inc. and other pillars of U.S. finance may have also blown holes in the portfolios of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, Senator John Kerry and more than 50 other members of Congress.

Pelosi, in her most recent financial disclosure form, reported that her husband owned between $250,000 and $500,000 of stock in AIG, which ceded majority control to the U.S. government this week in exchange for $85 billion of loans.

Kerry, the 2004 Democratic presidential nominee, disclosed that his wife, Teresa Heinz Kerry, had more than $2 million of AIG stock at the end of 2007, when shares were worth $58.30. AIG has fallen 85 percent this week to close yesterday at $2.69. The lawmakers' aides didn't respond to calls seeking comment.

Altogether, 56 senators and representatives had stakes in AIG, Lehman, Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, Bear Stearns Cos. or IndyMac Bancorp Inc. -- some of the biggest casualties of the market bloodbath -- according to the Center for Responsive Politics. The most recent annual disclosure filings list investments as of Dec. 31, 2007, and reveal the size of holdings only within a range of values. Lawmakers may have sold shares since then.

``Lawmakers, like everyone else in America who has any kind of retirement portfolio or stock holdings, are going to be suffering,'' said Gary Kalman, a lobbyist for the Boston-based U.S. Public Interest Research Group, a consumer-advocacy organization. ``This is a serious issue. We need to have a serious response.''

Market Plunges

The Standard & Poor's 500 Index plunged 7.6 percent during the first three days of this week on news that Lehman and Merrill Lynch & Co. -- which survived two world wars and the Great Depression -- were finished as independent investment banks.

Lehman filed history's biggest bankruptcy case on Sept. 15 and Merrill sold itself to Bank of America Corp. Even after rallying yesterday, the S&P 500 is down almost 25 percent from its October 2007 peak.

Lehman shares, which traded for as much as $67.73 last November, closed yesterday at 5 cents. Merrill's shareholders are in better shape. To avoid Lehman's fate, Merrill agreed to be acquired in a stock-swap worth $26.28 per share at yesterday's closing prices. In better days, Merrill soared to as much as $98.68 in January 2007.

Bear Stearns was the first Wall Street titan to fall as home-loan defaults battered the market for mortgage-backed securities and started a chain reaction that devastated credit markets. JPMorgan Chase & Co. bought Bear Stearns in March.

Government Takeover

Earlier this month, the government took control of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, which together accounted for almost half of the U.S. home-loan market. Fannie Mae shares had already plummeted more than 80 percent this year, to $7.04 from $39.98, before the government's Sept. 7 takeover was announced. Shares dropped to 73 cents when trading resumed the next day. Freddie Mac fell to 88 cents, after starting the year at $34.07.

Representative Robin Hayes, a South Carolina Republican, had Congress's biggest AIG stake, according to the Washington-based Center for Responsive Politics. Hayes's AIG stock was worth between $2.8 million and $11.5 million.

John McCain, the Republican presidential nominee, avoided potential losses. Because of the Arizona senator's run for the White House, his wife, Cindy, last year liquidated a blind trust that had contained stock in AIG, Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac and Lehman. The amounts of stock she had owned weren't disclosed.

Representative Jane Harman, a California Democrat, owned between $50,000 and $100,000 of Lehman shares, according to her disclosure form. Calls to offices of Hayes and Harman weren't returned.

Pasadena, California-based IndyMac's bank was seized by U.S. regulators in July, in the third-biggest U.S. bank failure. IndyMac stock closed yesterday at 6 cents, after trading earlier this year for as much as $11.32.

Im not blindly faithful to any party, like i said in the rest of that post, i think all of them need to be investigated in depth, every member of congress, and all of the guilty parties be removed and flushed.

There is a clear amount of corruption in politics and people were willing to laugh it off and ignore it , as long as it didnt affect their day to day lives, now it is catching up too the country and citzens.and now it is finally unacceptable.

And no matter what side of the fence they sit on, democrate, republican, everyone is in the green party, as everyone has a price at which their integrity can be bought.

Originally posted by gnomexxx

Originally posted by Fishermage

All of my reps voted nay

I hope you pay him in kind come election time.  Don't be lazy and let him know what a jerk he was.

These people need to know that this big government b.s. has to come to an end.  

yeah, as I said earlier, Murphy already KNOWS how I feel about him. He ain't getting my vote this time either lol.