Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wows graphics undervalued?

ZerlyZerly Member Posts: 35

Been playing warhammer, enjoying it..but the graphics are getting to me. Do they improve later on? Everything seems so drab.Age of Conan for all its high polygon glory, looked drab as well.

Wow might look cartoonish, but the art style, design and variety of landscapes always convey that 'world' feeling. Feels harsh when people hassle Blizz's work, their art department is Gold Class. The Lich King stuff is looking pretty fine as well.

Im making a big call here, but I think World of Warcraft still has some of the best graphics in an MMO, purely down to the Blizz's art department.

Comments

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

I would never say that WoW has some of the best graphics out there from a detail or artistic point of view, but from a point of view of their function within the game design i would have to say that they are outstanding.

They convey the characters and the environment that you play within very well indeed and they fit within the polished feel of the game as a whole rather than just one outstanding feature of the game.

I have said it before in other threads along the same lines that i have always been an advocate of gameplay over graphics any day of the week but Blizzard have managed to create a decent amount of graphical detail along with fantastic gameplay elements which is a winner for a lot of people.

To top it all they are making some great improvements to the graphic elements of the game with the expansion, not that it will clam up those that use the graphics as a beating stick against the game, but for the rest of us that appreciate how the graphics fit into the game it will be a bonus.

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• StinkyPitsStinkyPits Member Posts: 123

I call bullcrap.  I've been playing WAR and the graphics are just fine, and better than WoW.  While I like WoW's simplicity, WAR is certainly better graphically however it is very dark due to the "war like" atmosphere.  I am looking forward to see what WoW does with WOTLK though.

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258

Well Warcraft basicly took the art style from the Warhammer table top game and tweaked it into there own.  In WAR the greenskins  area remind me more of WoW but every other area ive been to looks nothing like WoW except for maybe the Evergreen trees but they have better textures.

But as for WAR and AOC looking drab, well they are more darker type of settings compared to WoW's bright color schemes and flashy spell effects.  Actaully I wish Warhammer looked more darker and evil.

• PrebThorPrebThor Member UncommonPosts: 452

I like the "bubblegum flavored" simplicity of WoW; smooth animations, color harmony and high contrasts is what brings the game alive (along with the gameplay) and also what has kept it online for the last 4 years.

• mrnutz1065mrnutz1065 Member Posts: 228

Warhammer is not drab, Age of conan is drab and dull.

The graphics in Warcraft ain't terrible but they are certainly limited to what they can do. Playing warhammer with dynamic lighting and such and then playing Warcraft.... There is certainly a difference. People who say otherwise are idiots.

• ScalebaneScalebane Member UncommonPosts: 1,883

War has good graphics, abit more realism but still stylized i like it honestly, but i do like WoW's also, it fits perfectly with the warcraft serious of games, and i'm glad they stayed true to this, it had been super realistic or whatever i don't think it would have worked out for them, when i jumped into WoW it felt familiar like i never left Warcraft from the RTS.

Honestly i think if people played the Rexxar quest pack you could dl for warcraft 3 you would notice how World of Warcraft like it was...may have been their first tests on things who knows.

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

• PrebThorPrebThor Member UncommonPosts: 452
    Originally posted by Scalebane

War has good graphics, abit more realism but still stylized i like it honestly, but i do like WoW's also, it fits perfectly with the warcraft serious of games, and i'm glad they stayed true to this, it had been super realistic or whatever i don't think it would have worked out for them, when i jumped into WoW it felt familiar like i never left Warcraft from the RTS.
    Honestly i think if people played the Rexxar quest pack you could dl for warcraft 3 you would notice how World of Warcraft like it was...may have been their first tests on things who knows.

The bonus included with The Frozen Throne (didn't know it was downloadable separately?) does indeed feel like a mini-version of WoW in bird's eye view. A pleasant surprise as it is a pretty solid mini-game in itself - check it out if you haven't, folks! ;D