Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question to people who still play AoC.

Comments

• deadplayerdeadplayer Member Posts: 102

I remember i saw a article about Who is World of Warcraft Killer. It said that Age of  Conan, Aion, Warhammer would be the WoW killer. Now i think AoC is  mission failure.  xD

• SweedeSweede Member UncommonPosts: 209

And i'm sure War is not the wow killer either, it's pointless to even speculate, i mean how many games has been labeled eq killer or ao killer and both games are still around while not even remotely close to the wow subs they still seem viable, new eq expansion coming shortly for instance.

• Lobbyboy69Lobbyboy69 Member Posts: 201

Your kidding.....you got 30 odd people fighting in the 20 square yards of Kesh. Thats it im going to re-sub now. How can I miss out on this.

....hang on before I resub. Have they fixed the boring tank and spank bosses with copy paste trash in their PvE dungeons.?

Is the crafting been totally revamped so its not the most boring crafting in any mmo in history?

Is the economy now thriving based on the fantastic crafting?

Are the sieges still boring beyond belief?

I know the answers to this as I regularly check out the game on my brother-in-laws PC. Although I wont be able to comment on this for much longer as he also is cancelling. How can the game be good by the way when you have more peopple cancelling than actually joining.

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

Why do 90% of the posts on AoC threads have nothing at all to do with the Topic. Why is it alright to allow every thread started to degenerate into a bashing? You would get sooo many warnings and bans if it happened on the WAR forum so why is it allowed here? Really, really crap moderation on this site?

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• DarkhosisDarkhosis Member Posts: 33

So they release the most BASIC PVP system ever invented and people are suppose to praise them for that?

Praise them for something promised to be in the game at release?

Praise them for renaming old armor sets and calling them PVP armor?

Praise them for waiting 4 months for this????

What have they done in 4 months? 

HALF Turned on a PVP system that the codes been there since Beta?  Fix a couple of bugs while introducing more than they fix?  Yep that's about it....

That picture of all the armors laid out from 20-80 still holds true.  You guys say 'YEAH DUDE DURR IT'S REALISTIC"  Then explain to me the 1500 armor sets that didn't look like dog shit they still haven't even put in the game yet?  Just more lies from Funcon.  Do they even exist?  Probably not.

How has this meager PVP patch done ANYTHING for the PVE aspect of the game?   The Raid instances are still broken, crafting is a disaster, UI is a disaster, Guild structure a disaster.  Many broken and bugged quests still there.  Such a lack of quests and content you're forced to run Villas hundreds of times to level or just grind mobs and be happy?

It's a hollow shell with just enough BASICS to call it an MMORPG.

The things that were SUPPOSE to be in the game already still aren't there and have magically disappeared from Funcon's agenda.

Where's the Mercenary system?  Where's my Drunken brawling?  Where's my DirectX10?  Where's the highly complex PVP system that was suppose to impact stats, ranks, titles, and awesome gear?  Where's the game they advertised I'd love to know.

The game is dead and will continue to die.  It will die just on word of mouth alone.  Go to anywhere it talks about AOC and it's easy to see Funcon pissed off LOTS of people myself included.  We're pissed and rightfully so.  Bait and switch tactics on hundreds of thousands of gamers is a bad bad move.  Their reputation is SHOT.

There's nothing they can do to lure anybody back unless they offer free game time which they never will.  They're just too greedy to make any decent decisions.  Every decision they make seems to be based on greed and a mad scramble to keep subscribers at this point.

They threw together a crappy PVP system to keep a few of the subscribers left.  Yay for them?

Give credit where it is due.  They don't deserve credit or praise for things that should have been ironed out in BETA.

• ArtermisArtermis Member Posts: 172
    Originally posted by mrw0lf

Why do 90% of the posts on AoC threads have nothing at all to do with the Topic. Why is it alright to allow every thread started to degenerate into a bashing? You would get sooo many warnings and bans if it happened on the WAR forum so why is it allowed here? Really, really crap moderation on this site?

Couldnt agree more, but it will never change. Unfortunately.

• DarkhosisDarkhosis Member Posts: 33
    Originally posted by Sweede

I think aoc is fun, fairly stable and i don't feel i have a lack of things to do, but then again i don't race to lvl 80 in a week then whine about lack of content.
    I had to use customer service once so far about preorder issues and they resolved it, took a while but it wasn't a gamebreaking issue but they fixed it and it works fine now.
    As for the computer reqs on aoc i haven't changed anything on my computer and it runs fine in 1680*1050 res with high detail on and my computer is roughly a year old.

Well good for you then.

It still doesn't change the fact the game still runs like crap on many systems that far exceed the minimum requirements.

Quad processors and Quad Sli, 6 gigs of memory and I was crashing every 20 minutes.  While every other game I own runs perfectly?  While my system has all the latest drivers and nothing running but AOC?  Even rolling back drivers and trying old ones to get the POS from crashing?

I'm glad that crappy code is stable on your system but it isn't stable on many others.

The game is 4 months OLD now.  That's a lifetime in gaming years,  Anyone who isn't level 80 who started at Early Access or have 2 level 80's must just be standing still watching the scenery.  You can't play this game and NOT level unless you're doing nothing at all.  Probably the easiest MMORPG on the market today.  Erling even said so HIMSELF leveling was made EASY so people could enjoy the end game content of sieging.  Too bad sieges were broke and probably still are and raids were broken and exploited.  Leaving most of us with NOTHING to do.

Just because you level at a snails pace doesn't mean we're all suppose to be like you.  I read every quest and tried to savor every moment and took my time.  Takes about 40 hours of gameplay to reach 80.  Not that damn hard.

• leftguardleftguard Member Posts: 70
    Originally posted by Darkhosis

So they release the most BASIC PVP system ever invented and people are suppose to praise them for that?
    Praise them for something promised to be in the game at release?
    Praise them for renaming old armor sets and calling them PVP armor?
    Praise them for waiting 4 months for this????
    What have they done in 4 months? 
    HALF Turned on a PVP system that the codes been there since Beta?  Fix a couple of bugs while introducing more than they fix?  Yep that's about it....
    That picture of all the armors laid out from 20-80 still holds true.  You guys say 'YEAH DUDE DURR IT'S REALISTIC"  Then explain to me the 1500 armor sets that didn't look like dog shit they still haven't even put in the game yet?  Just more lies from Funcon.  Do they even exist?  Probably not.
    How has this meager PVP patch done ANYTHING for the PVE aspect of the game?   The Raid instances are still broken, crafting is a disaster, UI is a disaster, Guild structure a disaster.  Many broken and bugged quests still there.  Such a lack of quests and content you're forced to run Villas hundreds of times to level or just grind mobs and be happy?
    It's a hollow shell with just enough BASICS to call it an MMORPG.
    The things that were SUPPOSE to be in the game already still aren't there and have magically disappeared from Funcon's agenda.
    Where's the Mercenary system?  Where's my Drunken brawling?  Where's my DirectX10?  Where's the highly complex PVP system that was suppose to impact stats, ranks, titles, and awesome gear?  Where's the game they advertised I'd love to know.
    The game is dead and will continue to die.  It will die just on word of mouth alone.  Go to anywhere it talks about AOC and it's easy to see Funcon pissed off LOTS of people myself included.  We're pissed and rightfully so.  Bait and switch tactics on hundreds of thousands of gamers is a bad bad move.  Their reputation is SHOT.
    There's nothing they can do to lure anybody back unless they offer free game time which they never will.  They're just too greedy to make any decent decisions.  Every decision they make seems to be based on greed and a mad scramble to keep subscribers at this point.
    They threw together a crappy PVP system to keep a few of the subscribers left.  Yay for them?
    Give credit where it is due.  They don't deserve credit or praise for things that should have been ironed out in BETA.

You know, when I signed up to this game 2 months or so ago I was blissfully unaware of all the problems the game had at launch, because I hadn't been following the hype or visiting the forums (not the AoC ones at least).

So I was fortunate - I was in fact never lied to by anyone! Now you guys who were lied to (apparently) may say that's not so - but it is!

My non-preorder box makes no mention of bar brawls or mercenaries - the only thing promised that isnt there is DX10 support, and we know thats on the way. Again from my perspective, that might not be a good thing anyway - as my old PC may need me to stick with DX9. I hope not - but time will tell.

Straight after I started playing, patches were issued that quickly fixed the stability issues I had at first - although it is fair to say as my PC is 3 years old, I also had to find out which graphics settings worked best for me. But between me fixing my settings and the stability fixing patches, I find the game now runs like a charm, and has done for quite some time.  Sometimes it can be a bit laggy, but no more than any other game I've been playing lately.

Now we've had the first PvP patch with the armour etc, we've had plenty of additional content , and better than that, more is said to be on the way.

Again from my perspective, everythings good :)

Personally I like the look of that armour a lot - yes it's not flashy in the way a lot of game armour we've grown accustomed to is, but what you see in those images is just the basic armour designs for the leather armour types. There's still plenty of customisation to a character's overall look available when you consider the different hats and helmets, boots, cloves, bracers, belts, shields......the list goes on and on.

My point is that you're just restating arguements that were valid way back at launch and shortly afterwards, (and most of which have been subsequently sorted), and then getting additionally peeved because you just don't like the style of the game anyway.

Why are you so angry that some people actually play and enjoy this game???

• tikboitikboi Member Posts: 243

i know warhammer is better, but AoC still has its own features that makes the game shine for its fans.

• arkady09arkady09 Member Posts: 245
    Originally posted by Sweede

I think aoc is fun, fairly stable and i don't feel i have a lack of things to do, but then again i don't race to lvl 80 in a week then whine about lack of content.
    Ok so if the people took until today to get level 80, roughly 4+ months since launch, they shouldnt expect any content either? All games have to have endgame content, thats where these games really begin, after all. So what is your point here? The game has been out over 4 months now, right?
    I had to use customer service once so far about preorder issues and they resolved it, took a while but it wasn't a gamebreaking issue but they fixed it and it works fine now.
    As for the computer reqs on aoc i haven't changed anything on my computer and it runs fine in 1680*1050 res with high detail on and my computer is roughly a year old.
    Glad to hear this, mine was ordered specifically for AOC and never used more than 35% of the GPU and NEVER used the second cards memory?

I mean it is, on some level, good to hear that SOMEONE is having a good performance experience with this game and likes it... I made this game my new home after LOTRO and was completely and utterly disappointed. I think my experience, sadly, is FAR more common than yours sweede. Funcom had at one point said that they sold 800k boxes and had 400k downloads of the clients but in Aug they released a report that covered up to Jun 30th 08 and they claimed 415k users.... Now Im not an analyst but that means less than 40 days after launch, they had 1/3 the number still playing or still paying, as the case may be, and that just doesnt bode well for funcom.

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453
    Originally posted by leftguard

I've rolled a couple of new characters to run with since the pvp patch, and I find lots of new players are starting up now for the first time.
    Reading the posts here you get the impression that there are a finite number of players who charge around from one new game issue to the next, and who never return to a game if there were problems at or shortly after launch, and while there is always going to be a surge of people trying out a new release when it becomes available, the player numbers are always going to settle out.
    I think Conan offers something the other big name games dont with its graphic style (as illustrated by the armour pics) and theme content, and this is what the new players seem to be saying.
    My feeling is that AoC is going to be around for a long time to come.

This is a sensible post that I have to agree with totally.  Like a lot of people I am playing WAR right now and enjoying something new again.  However I am already finding myself missing elements in AoC especially the lush graphics and more mature content.  WAR is refreshing and has some great ideas but I am not sure if the PvP will become slightly boring after a while.  I am hoping that AoC continues to address and improve large scale PvP because the ultimate dream would be to see a game with the graphics of AoC with huge PvP.   Either way I think its like most games and there is a spike at the start with negativity then a slight rise over time as it improves.  6 months for me is the crunch month to see what they have done.

• SpellshaperSpellshaper Member UncommonPosts: 419

Originally posted by Artermis

Originally posted by mrw0lf

Couldnt agree more, but it will never change. Unfortunately.
    Also I agree. I said it many times there!
    On these forums dont talk people who play Conan, but people who maybe played it on launch, but most of them never played it at all.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Maybe people still play it because they are haveing a good time? I'm still enjoying it. Nothing anyone says is going to change that. Get over it.

• BlackWizardsBlackWizards Member Posts: 173
    Originally posted by BlackWizards

Wow I leave this thread alone for a few days and it goes ape. From everything I've read here my conclusion is this-
    1. AoC haters are either really really really bored or they are being payed to smear the game. Because the level of hate and the time and dedication being put into smearing it just too much. Seriously if you don't like the game, don't play it and let those who do enjoy.
    2. That AoC is getting better (which makes me happy), but it still has a ways to go.
    I have some new questions, mainly about the PVP patch. Has FC implemented or announced plans to implement other pvp objectives, like the land controlled towers (maybe they were called forts?) and resource nodes? I pretty much bought the game for this reason and after launch could find no info on them since. Tower raiding in AO (funcom's other glorious disaster) was basically the best time I ever had in an MMO and would come back asap if this where to be implemented.
    Thanks
    IAMTHEBLACKWIZARDS
     EDIT: Oh and also have they fixed the combat latency issues, basically when some one one could side strafe out and avoid getting hit due to latency?

Ignore/report/block the trolls and can any one answer these questions?

• CobraSolidusCobraSolidus Member Posts: 369

Wow I leave this thread alone for a few days and it goes ape. From everything I've read here my conclusion is this-
    1. AoC haters are either really really really bored or they are being payed to smear the game. Because the level of hate and the time and dedication being put into smearing it just too much. Seriously if you don't like the game, don't play it and let those who do enjoy.
    2. That AoC is getting better (which makes me happy), but it still has a ways to go.
    I have some new questions, mainly about the PVP patch. Has FC implemented or announced plans to implement other pvp objectives, like the land controlled towers (maybe they were called forts?) and resource nodes? I pretty much bought the game for this reason and after launch could find no info on them since. Tower raiding in AO (funcom's other glorious disaster) was basically the best time I ever had in an MMO and would come back asap if this where to be implemented.
    Thanks
    IAMTHEBLACKWIZARDS
     EDIT: Oh and also have they fixed the combat latency issues, basically when some one one could side strafe out and avoid getting hit due to latency?

Ignore/report/block the trolls and can any one answer these questions?

Just comming from WAR, but the last thing I experienced before I went testing WAR was that last socalled miracle patch, which at least the night I played appeared to wipe out my OOM errors and lag issues.. For that towerthing, I am not sure.

• AndrewGoatAndrewGoat Member UncommonPosts: 160

I'd like to make a couple of points. I don't really usually post much, but...

First off, the guy who said that you 'grind pvp exp for gear in WAR too' is absolutely correct. However, he fails to mention that you also use renown to buy tactics and stat boosts, that are much like a talent system, in addition to the normal pve talent system.

Also, you know, I don't know what it is, but my computer had an okay time running AoC for the most part, but I swear, WAR doesnt run too well. I don't know why that is, but everyone who says WAR is easy to run and that's why its more accessible clearly doesnt have a slightly older computer. WAR would not run on a 5 year old computer. Period.

I played Age of Conan from May 20th until August 20th. I played it from opening until a month ago. I had 1 level 80 character, a Priest of Mitra. Now, I ended up cancelling my account, and the reason is that this game isn't fun once you get to level 80.

The things you can do at level 80, at least on a PVE server like I happened to roll on, are:

1.) Get your tradeskills up.(Which you cant do if your guild has people who dont help build the city, and if you're the only one who has time, since you're level 80, you'll be doing it by yourself, which is not fun whatsoever, trust me, I've been there)

2.) Do PVE raids.(I never did a raid, but from what I've heard, the timers bug out all the time, and the gear that you get for the effort you expend isn't even that great anyways)

3.) PVP MInigames.(Good luck. I was in a total of 2 minigames in 3 months of playing, both sucked.)

4.) Go on the forums and post honest, non-flame based opinions, or reviews of the game, and watch retarded people respond with 10char.

See, there really isn't much to do.  And that was the crux of my problem with AoC. I have nothing against the game, honestly, but it has nothing for me. Due to being an average joe who works a really terrible shift, 2 pm to 11pm, I can't find people to raid with, and not only that, but Priest of Mitra sucks more than you can possibly imagine at pvp.

War is holding my attention for now. At least it has a larger variety of things to do.

• SweedeSweede Member UncommonPosts: 209

I'm sure more  and more  content will be added at the top levels that is what always happens anyway, and  i doubt AoC is the only game in history that has been released with features promised but not yet in the game at launch,and from what i read on the WAR forums the game while fun to some still has it's share of problem like lag and crap performance even with less then top notch graphics, and well i have no intentions of playing WAR at this point in time, i allready play so many mmo's that i don't have the time :)

And no of course not, everyone playes differently when  it comes to leveling pace, i never have any rush to get to max level and therefore i might not notice lack of content at higher levels cause by the time i get there they have added a lot of stuff and i sure won't cancel thanks to lack of voices from quests once outside tortage, that is only fun for so long anyway.

Comment on endgame content: PvP and Siege is working very well after last patch in fact. Geee...loks like we are finally getting to a stage where we will get those new areas promissed some time back.

• QmireQmire Member Posts: 423

I'm kinda really interested in knowing how the game has changed since launch, also how the performance has been since then.

Not to mention, how does the game fair with gamepad support?

So no guild controlled towers or resource nodes in or announced yet eh? Only battle keeps?

Originally posted by Qmire

I'm kinda really interested in knowing how the game has changed since launch, also how the performance has been since then.

Well there is still issues that need attention. Performancewise has the game improved quite a bit in fact. I for instance, left WAR due to low FPS and rubberband lagg to play AoC. AoC has higher FPS than WAR on my Rig.

Originally posted by CobraSolidus

Originally posted by Qmire

Well there is still issues that need attention. Performancewise has the game improved quite a bit in fact. I for instance, left WAR due to low FPS and rubberband lagg to play AoC. AoC has higher FPS than WAR on my Rig.

I have the same issue, except AoC has always run better then WaR does, and it looks a billion times better.

• DurillienDurillien Member Posts: 32

I bought AoC about 2 weeks after it came out, and have played it off and on since, as the launch errors and bugs were more than I can handle. I recently returned back to it earlier this month, and have noticed it is quickly getting back on it's feet after a rough launch and making back some lost time. Funcom did make quite alot of false and misleading statements about the feautures of the game, but as the interviews show, they have definitely been trying to reclaim some dignity and show players that they mean to try their best to fufill expectations and then some.

Now then, I'm not going to make a massive post of comparison to WoW, WAR, or any other mainstream game. That's not what the OP wants to know.

1. Server Populations : AoC didn't quite get the amount of players they wanted ( Or at least a staying community ), thus the large amount of servers. Therefor, many of the players have left certain unnamed bland PVP servers and moved on to more of the bigger more populated ones, leaving empty feeling servers. Hopefully, after more main issues are remedied, Funcom will put effort into server merges and character transfers to solve population scarseness. I'm sure many players have left due to simply never having a healthy community to play with.

2. Performance : At launch, the game lagged terribly, memory leaks caused "Disco Death", as some call it. ( The game leaks the computer's memory into holes of data, causing the game to slowly roll into a crash, and cause some textures to not load, resulting in checkerboard blocks covering areas.) , and choppy FPS/"chunky" feeling play. After some work on the engine, it seems that 3 months later the game has vastly improved the game's overall play. I haven't had a lag spike in a long time, and memory leaks are almost hard to find. As others have stated, the game's FPS have also improved.

3. Item Models : Yes, the game has a problem with making diverse armor models. However, it's not as bad as a previous poster put into this thread. There's a decent selection of armors that are unique in looks, but just take abit more work than grinding quests. ( I.E. Leveling Dungeons.) There's word of the devs building a patch to add some odd 1000's of new models to the database. Could be a fluke, could be in the far future. Who knows?

( Pic is of 4 of my characters, all ranging to different levels. )

• eq2jseq2js Member Posts: 94

I played at a friends house after that last patch, and it's great.

But my parents won't let me buy it -_-

they dont care that there are parental controls....

damn....its better than WAR....

Where did you get those shoulder guards on you conqueror/barbarian?