Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

List of things Blizzard could learn from WAR.

1.Color options on your armor choice.

2.Water wave effects.

and that's pretty much it.

Comments

• coffeecoffee Member Posts: 2,007
    Originally posted by Mattee336

2.Water wave effects.

the problem is with wow armour its so detailed its hard to add a dye but yes its a nive idea if it will work

better water effect.. agree.. wow needs a H2O overhaul =D

• PrebThorPrebThor Member UncommonPosts: 452

1. Players have been able to dye their armor in Guild Wars for years...

2. Whatever.

How about a post on things that could have an actual impact on a game?

• freakworldfreakworld Member Posts: 67

Something that wow touched but never did right. World PVP.

Also, not sure how War is going to play this.

But make up your mind on how characters are meant to be played. To this day they still nerf and buff this ability over that for "Class Balance". Come on the game has been out for years now and they still can't get it right.

It's why I quit. 1 day I'm good then /nerf I have to relearn my class and/or just get my butt kicked and hop the buff comes soon.

• RecantRecant Member UncommonPosts: 1,586

WoW :  Better animations, better polished, more seamless world, better PvE, better avatar control, more interesting and better paced combat

WAR:  Battlegrounds right from the start, it's new, some nice ideas, RvR... so far seems to be just like battlegrounds, time will tell if city seiges are any good.  AoC promised the same sort of stuff.

Still waiting for your Holy Grail MMORPG? Interesting...

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582
    Originally posted by freakworld

But make up your mind on how characters are meant to be played. To this day they still nerf and buff this ability over that for "Class Balance". Come on the game has been out for years now and they still can't get it right.

It's why I quit. 1 day I'm good then /nerf I have to relearn my class and/or just get my butt kicked and hop the buff comes soon.

No MMORPG is ever 'finished' balancing classes.  I dare you to show me a single game that has gone 6 months without having a  'nerfing/buffing character abilities' in it's patch notes.

You are right though, WOW doesn't have a great record with world pvp.   Some of the stuff is fun for awhile, but nothing has 'stuck'.  Lake Wintergrasp is a huge addition though.  The seiging is more complicated and has more options than seiging in AOC and Warhammer (moveable seige weapons, destructable walls and buildings, troup transport, airplanes (bombers and fighters).. and just a ton of things to make it complicated and fun.   In warhammer, you basically just run up and beat on the main gate door.  Very basic and boring.

• LexinLexin Member UncommonPosts: 701

FFXI? They never have to Nerf or Buff up character classes. There you go one MMO that doesn't have to.

• woody1974woody1974 Member Posts: 257
    Originally posted by Azrile

Originally posted by freakworld

No MMORPG is ever 'finished' balancing classes.  I dare you to show me a single game that has gone 6 months without having a  'nerfing/buffing character abilities' in it's patch notes.

You are right though, WOW doesn't have a great record with world pvp.   Some of the stuff is fun for awhile, but nothing has 'stuck'.  Lake Wintergrasp is a huge addition though.  The seiging is more complicated and has more options than seiging in AOC and Warhammer (moveable seige weapons, destructable walls and buildings, troup transport, airplanes (bombers and fighters).. and just a ton of things to make it complicated and fun.   In warhammer, you basically just run up and beat on the main gate door.  Very basic and boring.

HAHAHA are you serious?

WOW is bland, boring, old, out of date. If you had actually played WAR, you would know that the Keep sieging is much more than beating down a door, jeez cmon get real. Tell that to the 50 or 60 pvp people defending the Keep, the NPC's, the elites, the Keep lord, the guy dumping oil vats on you while your trying to ram the door down, the siege weapons being fired at you from the top of the keep.

WoW has been out how many years? All of a sudden they just get this ideal to add sieging to the game. lmao just another way WOW has copied other mmo's content. Yeah that impresses me alot. Get your facts straight next time..

By the way I play WOW, EQ2, DAOC, and WAR.....So if your thinking about calling me a fanbois, might want to look up some new words to use.

• junglebeastjunglebeast Member UncommonPosts: 72

After a war it takes time to build up an army again, with siege weapons and other stuff. We've seen siege stuff in Outland.. bombing the hell out of in Honor Hold. Dropping bombs down in Halaa. Etc etc.. The new pvp zone in Northrend will be just an evolution in the things we players do on the world...

You know when you play too much MMO's when your partners pants have become a rare drop.

• coffeecoffee Member Posts: 2,007

also WoW is Warcraft dont forget and in the Warcraft games we had seige weapons. Just so happens Blizzard took their time getting them into WoW.. but its worth the wait.. no game has seige weapons as advanced or fun as WoW does right now. FACT.

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

public quests are a nice idea.

some decent open world PvP would also be nice (stop rewarding the damn instance grind that is BG's)

oh and maybe 1 or 2 new battlegrounds...

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• theratmonkeytheratmonkey Member Posts: 684

Wow and War are different games in my opinion.

I am liking WAR, but the main problem with it is how empty it feels. I don't know if it has to do with low server populations (it always says med-high on mine.) or if people are just not participating in RVR and such.

Also, the lack of variety in armor is kind of a let down. You can throw out that "this is war, you are only a unit, not a hero" line as much as you like, people still want to be their own character, not just some unit.

But WAR isn't even a month out of release, so I will give it a break once Fallout 3 and WOTLK come out and hopefully in a years time it will be in a state it needs to be.

Groovy.

• synnsynn Member UncommonPosts: 563

come to wolfenberg...we had a pretty huge rvr battle in T2 today. about 50+ players on each side fighting for the keep

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582
    Originally posted by synn

come to wolfenberg...we had a pretty huge rvr battle in T2 today. about 50+ players on each side fighting for the keep

And you will be fighting for basically the same keep in T4.    Seiging in Warhammer is supposed to be the vast majority of the game.. yet every teir is almost exactly the same.. Same seige weapons, same gate door etc etc.  The terrain outside the keep changes, but you are basically using the exact same mechanism ALL THE TIME.   Seige weapons aren't tactical or moveable.... you run up and click on a stationary object and it does it's thing.

Lake Wintergrasp is much more complicated.  You actually control the seige weapons, there are also a ton of things (flyers, bombers, troup transports) that are not in Warhammer.

Also WOW is 'upping' the battleground games.  The new battleground is very involved and tactical.  In the meantime, Warhammer has chosen to model it's battlegrounds after WSG and AB.

WOW is a mile ahead of Warhammer for pve.. and it's currently not that far behind War in pvp..  Lake Wintergrasp will put the pvp ahead of warhammer.

Look at box sales.   WOW vanilla outsold Warhammer last week.    Warhammer dropped to below #30 on the sales charts.. It will settle into a 300k niche game with only half it's servers active enough to support RvR (you already see fully have the servers not getting past med/med and this is the free month).

• Wow4LiferWow4Lifer Member Posts: 255

2.Water wave effects.

LOL...this was the funniest post i've ever read in my entire life. and it's true.

• mrnutz1065mrnutz1065 Member Posts: 228
    Originally posted by coffee
    the problem is with wow armour its so detailed its hard to add a dye but yes its a nive idea if it will work

I chuckled at that. Wow amour looks terrible now, there's only so much they can do with the shoulderpads and helmet and judging by s4 (which looks god awful) they are running out of ideas. They effectively dyed the T2 sets and made them dungeon drops, i don't think it would be too much of a problem.

I like WoW but i really do wish they would get to work on a new engine or summin.

• AdvancedTechAdvancedTech Member UncommonPosts: 165

Blizzard said that in WotLK PvP and PvE armor will look totally different now, not just a different color.

• LesrachLesrach Member UncommonPosts: 112

The one huge thing to me in WAR is the ability to lvl up by doing PvP, really nice.

• synnsynn Member UncommonPosts: 563
    Originally posted by Azrile

Originally posted by synn

And you will be fighting for basically the same keep in T4.    Seiging in Warhammer is supposed to be the vast majority of the game.. yet every teir is almost exactly the same.. Same seige weapons, same gate door etc etc.  The terrain outside the keep changes, but you are basically using the exact same mechanism ALL THE TIME.   Seige weapons aren't tactical or moveable.... you run up and click on a stationary object and it does it's thing.

yep, but players are unpredictable and thats what makes the game more of a challenge then pve stuff.

Lake Wintergrasp is much more complicated.  You actually control the seige weapons, there are also a ton of things (flyers, bombers, troup transports) that are not in Warhammer.

how does this make things complicated?

Also WOW is 'upping' the battleground games.  The new battleground is very involved and tactical.  In the meantime, Warhammer has chosen to model it's battlegrounds after WSG and AB.

this is the lamest comment i see repeated. there's like 20 different scenarios in WAR and depending on the one you play the mechanics of winning the game differs.

WOW is a mile ahead of Warhammer for pve.. and it's currently not that far behind War in pvp..  Lake Wintergrasp will put the pvp ahead of warhammer.

WoW has had 4 years to do something with pvp. what they did is scrapped one idea in return they came up with 2 ways for players to grind both of which are limited to instanced areas. Well they did have the open pvp objectives with TBC but that was a pretty big flop, Now with their version of battlefield coming out (cause we all know blizz doesn't come up with stuff on their own they just borrow ideas) i'm giving it about 1-2 months before the pvpers decide the content is garbage and just another miserable attempt.

Look at box sales.   WOW vanilla outsold Warhammer last week.    Warhammer dropped to below #30 on the sales charts.. It will settle into a 300k niche game with only half it's servers active enough to support RvR (you already see fully have the servers not getting past med/med and this is the free month).

dude, the servers still reach 500+ queue lines

• MrVicchioMrVicchio Member Posts: 598

2.Water wave effects.

Tome of Knowledge.

Guild Ranks

City Ranks

PvP for a reason, not just a gear grind.

Unique classes to each race.

How to ban hammer gold farmers and spammers.

Quests that don't require killing 500 mobs for 10 ears.

Multi-tiered open quests (see PQ's)

Quest rewards that matter to your class.  No more Mages getting pally gear eh?

Enabling the players to matter to the game world, not just themselves.

Always change your signature.

• ScalebaneScalebane Member UncommonPosts: 1,883
    Originally posted by MrVicchio

2.Water wave effects.

Tome of Knowledge.

Well they don't have the tome but they are adding achievements into wrath that are as retro active as they can make them.

Guild Ranks

Yeah might be nice to add, and maybe the guild leveling thing

City Ranks

Prolly never see this in game, not sure it would really fit in.

PvP for a reason, not just a gear grind.

Well, everyone's reasons are different for pvp, you may think pvping for gear is a bad thing but there are a lot that don't see it that way.  But seriously is there really ever any reason to pvp? in wow they do it for Gear and as compition in arena's, which you do over and over, in WAR you pvp to take control of whatever to open up other things, but in the end you do it over and over doing the same thing, they both are repetitive, guess its all in the eye of the beholder.  I know people like to think there is some reason to pvp but in the end its all about killing your enemy thats the mindset i see, most don't care about the other crap.

Unique classes to each race.

Well that would be a bit harder to balance i think and its showing in WAR, the balance isn't really there like some try to claim.  Blizzard did have some uniqueness in things from the beginning like pallies on alliance and shaman on horde but people cried so much about balance they gave them to both sides.

How to ban hammer gold farmers and spammers.

They've done as good as they can, they have banned thousands and thousands of gold sellers, they have taken one company to court and won, shutting them down, so as far as i'm concerned they are one of the top people in banning gold sellers, i think just because blizzard doesnt announce it people wanna hold it agianst them like they aren't doing anything, also i think they are the first company to sell, at a very cheap price, an extra security device to help against getting key logged.

Quests that don't require killing 500 mobs for 10 ears.

Well i can see your point but in the end, those kinda things (the killing tons of mobs) are just hidden inside the tomb as achievement so if you want those achievements you'll have to grind mobs anyways. i personally didn't mind killing x number of mobs, there are side benefits to doing so, like good xp, cash, loot...so never bothered me any, but i do know others don't like it.

Multi-tiered open quests (see PQ's)

These are nice, but for people starting out late i'm afraid they won't see these PQ's every completed, since most people are rushing to the high end, took me 2 days just to finish off one PQ..i know i could have just move on but then what is the point of having them if you can't do them you know.

Quest rewards that matter to your class.  No more Mages getting pally gear eh?

lol never seen a mage roll on pally gear and well there are some quest rewards for just your class but most of it is high level stuff that is only for your class, really i never cared who rolled on what but players now a days are a greedy bunch.  I have always wished when you did a quest the reward would be something for your class not something you cant use, but i havn't seen that kinda quest system setup in any mmo.

Enabling the players to matter to the game world, not just themselves.

Players can only matter so much to the game world, i don't see it as a good idea letting players shape the actual world, don't know how many mmo's even offer it.  i mean even in WAR how much does it matter what i do? its just gonna reset anyways, same with WoW things just reset anyways.  I'll give that to WAR though, its makeing people learn to group again, and if you can't do it you won't really make it anywhere, just wish people actually talked hehe.

Well i'm tired so if don't make sense well bleh, blizzard had added alot to the game and are doing there best, I think people tend to forget this is Blizzards first mmo, they may have used a lot of good ideas in the game but really i don't see anything wrong with that, all mmo's do.  Far as i'm concerned their first entry into the mmo world has been awesome for them, they are learning alot and still making mistakes but i'm not gonna knock them for it.  Mythic has way more experiance under their belts, i would expect them to have learned from their mistakes and make a better game, and WAR is a good game.

I think we will see very surprising things in blizzards next mmo, i think they have gained a lot of knowledge and can make an even better mmo...we'll they have the same amount of subs for it? probably not...well..unless its starcraft, then they will probably surpass it lol..whats the population of korea? since they like worchip blizzard there.

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

Blizzard can add all it wants to WoW.  I have seen the heart of WoW, touched it soul and recoil in horror.  Never again shall I waste hours repeating the same task in the mere hope of gaining a solitary trinket.  Never again shall I kill just so that I might gain a bauble.

WoW is a game built around a single idea.   Self-improvement.   I have moved beyond such petty drives and seek a game with a more grand vision.  You may greatly enjoy the 50th run through an instance in WoTLK, or perhaps another 50 Arena fights...

All of it will be for gear.

I however will storm the gates of Alterford and lay waste to all I see, I shall join with friends and others spreading the luscious joy of Chaos as we punish their petty little king.    

And I'll do it for pride, for honor, for fun.

• IcoGamesIcoGames Member Posts: 2,360

Blizzard can add all it wants to WoW.  I have seen the heart of WoW, touched it soul and recoil in horror.  Never again shall I waste hours repeating the same task in the mere hope of gaining a solitary trinket.  Never again shall I kill just so that I might gain a bauble.

WoW is a game built around a single idea.   Self-improvement.   I have moved beyond such petty drives and seek a game with a more grand vision.  You may greatly enjoy the 50th run through an instance in WoTLK, or perhaps another 50 Arena fights...

I however will storm the gates of Alterford and lay waste to all I see, I shall join with friends and others spreading the luscious joy of Chaos as we punish their petty little king.    

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you playing WAR? 

If so, WAR will distill down to the same issues you list above.  Fairly soon, if it's not happening already, will want x piece of gear to better their chances in PvP.  WAR is no different from any other fantasy themepark.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy WAR well enough ... just not delusional into thinking WAR is substantively any different.

Ico
    Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee.

• Deadm0ney4uDeadm0ney4u Member Posts: 127

LOL blizzard learn from WAR how about lets see a list of things WAR should have learned from Blizzard.

Originally posted by Deadm0ney4u

LOL blizzard learn from WAR how about lets see a list of things WAR should have learned from Blizzard.

It's very short....

Uhm...  things Mythic should take from Blizzard:

1.  Better advertising.

Originally posted by IcoGames

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you playing WAR? 

If so, WAR will distill down to the same issues you list above.  Fairly soon, if it's not happening already, will want x piece of gear to better their chances in PvP.  WAR is no different from any other fantasy themepark.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy WAR well enough ... just not delusional into thinking WAR is substantively any different.

Eh?   I don't play WAR for gear, I don't have too.  I don't mind getting the nice peice, but I don't HAVE to have it, nor am I forced to run "Raid X" ten times to get enough DKP so I can bid on that pair of UBER LEET SHOES if they drop.

IF they drop.

So damn sick of that mechanic I'll NEVER play another game that demands I do the same thing over and over again in the off chance that the item I need MIGHT drop from the boss.

All the while having to listen to the idiocy of the lifetime nerds runnign the raid explain how we're idiots and they are SOO much better then we are.